Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Firaga

Anime | Manga Shuiesha Unveils New "DragonBall" Department

From the desk of the elitist snobs news hounds at Anime News Network, Japanese publisher Shuiesha (known best for publishing in magazines like Weekly Shonen Jump and V-Jump) has announced that they have set up a brand new department called the "DragonBall Room" which is full dedicated to brainstorming new ideas for DragonBall content and future releases.

This is a very big statement to make for the DragonBall franchise because in terms of the DragonBall content we have right now, there's actually not really a whole lot to sort through. There's DragonBall Super the anime, as well as its promotional manga tie-in, the gag manga DragonBall SD in Saikyo Jump, the re-released "Digest Edition" of the original DragonBall manga, and even counting releases going on in America like the 3-in-1 and Full Color Editions of the original manga, it's still pretty slim pickings.

To hear that even more DragonBall is being worked on as speaks volumes for the future of the franchise because following how DragonBall Super has been playing out and given how a lot of other media franchises work these days, some portions of the fanbase are pondering how much more content can be expanded upon in the DragonBall universe. DBS has opened up new avenues and presented even more possibilities for expansion than ever before. Not only that, but there is also still room for expansion of ideas embedded in the franchise as a whole, such as the original manga or anime properties.

Drawing a comparison to another franchise, DragonBall is very much like how the Star Wars franchise currently is under the Disney banner in that it has created a new EU and has multitudes of different areas to explore and expand upon with characters, stories, and lore. Shuiesha could very much take a similar approach and have its new department start developing products that do just that except with DragonBall. Origins, unseen events, or just fun little side-stories are all viable for release. It doesn't have to be just manga either, as it could easily expand into anime, film, or even video games.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part until we see what this department's direction really will be when they actually start releasing official products. But we'll see.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

I'd love to see stuff like that happen, especially if it promotes more dubbing and localization, even with already existing stuff. I've been waiting forever for a dub of the Buu saga in Kai and for a dub of DBS.

Buu saga dub was already confirmed to be happening very soon. A dub for Super was already teased too, if I remember correctly.

Buu saga dub was already confirmed to be happening very soon. A dub for Super was already teased too, if I remember correctly.

From what I understand several VAs claimed that they already did work on the Buu saga (same old story we get from KH VAs I guess), but I don't remember there ever being a formal announcement for it.

From what I understand several VAs claimed that they already did work on the Buu saga (same old story we get from KH VAs I guess), but I don't remember there ever being a formal announcement for it.

Still a reliable source on the subject. It's definitely going to start soon, especially since Toonami is getting closer to that point in the story. Wouldn't be surprised if they pick it up and air it before it gets a separate release.

There hasn't, but like Shulk pointed out, it could be very likely that FUNimation is waiting for DragonBall Kai on Toonami to finish it up to episode 98 before they start officially releasing the dub for the rest of the show through there afterwards.

Still a reliable source on the subject. It's definitely going to start soon, especially since Toonami is getting closer to that point in the story. Wouldn't be surprised if they pick it up and air it before it gets a separate release.

There hasn't, but like Shulk pointed out, it could be very likely that FUNimation is waiting for DragonBall Kai on Toonami to finish it up to episode 98 before they start officially releasing the dub for the rest of the show through there afterwards.

Well if that's the case, then I look forward to that hopefully happening. What episode is Toonami currently at anyway?

Well if that's the case, then I look forward to that hopefully happening. What episode is Toonami currently at anyway?

This week, it'll be at episode 90 with only eight more episodes to go until it's over.

Hmm, this is most interesting!  Dragon Ball has been one of the most prominent powerhouses in anime for quite a few years now, and the fact that there's plans to expand upon the franchise suggests that Dragon Ball flames eternally in people's hearts!  It's one of those franchises that probably won't lose steam for quite some time! Hell, it could be another thirty years, and the anime would still be popular!

But yeah, this is pretty cool and interesting!  Before all this universe expansion happens, I really need to get to watching Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super! X3

Hmm, this is most interesting!  Dragon Ball has been one of the most prominent powerhouses in anime for quite a few years now, and the fact that there's plans to expand upon the franchise suggests that Dragon Ball flames eternally in people's hearts!  It's one of those franchises that probably won't lose steam for quite some time! Hell, it could be another thirty years, and the anime would still be popular!

But yeah, this is pretty cool and interesting!  Before all this universe expansion happens, I really need to get to watching Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super! X3

Just a tip: Watch Dragon Ball Z Kai instead of Dragon Ball Z. It improves the quality and cuts out just about all of the filler, so you get the series as it was originally intended. Original Dragon Ball sadly didn't get the same treatment.

Just a tip: Watch Dragon Ball Z Kai instead of Dragon Ball Z. It improves the quality and cuts out just about all of the filler, so you get the series as it was originally intended. Original Dragon Ball sadly didn't get the same treatment.

This is a very good point.

Another option, of course, is to, as KedamuZ puts it, "Read the damn manga."

I'd recommend the manga in most cases (partially because I generally don't have the time to watch a long anime so a manga is easier for me to manage), but Kai adapts everything so well that I'd say it's a great substitute over the manga. For original Dragon Ball, I'd definitely say manga is the way to go. Super's a different case, though.

I'd recommend the manga in most cases (partially because I generally don't have the time to watch a long anime so a manga is easier for me to manage), but Kai adapts everything so well that I'd say it's a great substitute over the manga. For original Dragon Ball, I'd definitely say manga is the way to go. Super's a different case, though.

I just wanted an excuse to use that quote again, but that too.

Hmm, I see! I actually have the first two Season Box Sets of Dragon Ball Z Kai on DVD! So I'd say I would be off to a good start!  But I want to start with the original Dragon Ball first, so then I can go to Kai, and finish off at Super, and then keep going from there! :3

I would read it, but I want to see the anime more, ya know? X3

I would read it, but I want to see the anime more, ya know? X3

Right. It's just a matter of pacing really.

But yeah, if you want to watch the anime, go right ahead. Here's how I'd do it: First DB anime (original Japanese, maybe find a filler guide if you'd prefer to save time), DragonBall Kai (English or Japanese, doesn't really matter), and then onto Super. As for DragonBall GT... uh, you can go ahead and skip that.