Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Wan_Pisu

What's your favorite thing about RPGs?

What's your favorite thing about RPGs?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite thing about RPGs?

• Game length
    • Story
    • Music
    • Characters
    • Exploration
    • Combat
    • Quests
    • Monsters
    • Customization
    • Leveling
    • I don't like em. Why am I here, you ask? Collect 5 ropes to find out :)
    • Something else? Share below!

That's a hard question, because it really all varies by game. Not all RPGs sufficed to say are good on all of these fronts. And all of them have their own varied gameplay mechanics, music, monsters, story, leveling, etc. So it's hard for me personally to narrow it down when all RPGs are different.

Edited by Geralt

I love their story(when its good of course),they can be very deep,with great characters,its fun to play video games that can have stories just as good has a movie and not your typical"oh no,the Princess was kidnapped,better go save her".

And I love RPGs with lots of customization,where each player can play a style that suits them.

I'm not the biggest fan of RPGs so usually when an RPG lack in one of those two elements,it bores me.

Story, Music, Characters, Exploration, Combat, & Customization! :D

I focus on different aspects depending which game I'm playing. For example ...

Star Ocean games: Exploration & Combat

Fire Emblem games: Story, Music, Characters, & Customization

Xenoblade Chronicles: Music, Exploration, & Customization

Fantasy Life: Music & Exploration

I also look at my other favorite things in those games, but the ones I listed are the main focus.

I put in my vote for combat, but it's a tie between that and exploration. I could just sum it up to all gameplay elements, really. I love planning out a team/build and having to strategize on the fly in tough battles, few things are more satisfying to me than an RPG with great gameplay. Everything else is nice too, but I'm not going to bother playing an RPG with gameplay that I don't enjoy. Don't see a point in it, personally. Same goes for any other genre.

Game length is also something that's up there for me, too. Long RPGs are great time-sinks, and it's not as fun when it's all over quickly.

Mostly everything, though I really appreciate the game length. Most games tend to feel like they're over as soon as they begin, so I really appreciate the combination of a good lengthed story and plenty of meaty gameplay. Throw everything else on that list in there and you've got yourself a truly awesome experience!

I like all of those categories, as well as one you didn't include in the poll; Dialogue choices! I know they aren't universally a part of RPGs (especially JRPGs), but one of the biggest draws of most WRPGs like Fallout New Vegas for me is being able to make the main character my own, whether I want to project myself onto them or turn them into a type of character I don't often see in fiction (or, better yet, just completely go insane and give bipolar answers throughout the game).

Granted, the whole concept may fall within "characters" or "story", depending on who you ask, but considering how vastly different JRPGs and WRPGs tend to be on their approach to this sort of thing, I feel like it deserves mentioning by itself, especially considering how it can make or break an RPG for some people (just look at how Fallout 4 handled dialogue, for a good example).