Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
FlyingEggplant

Am i the only one not excited for the Nintendo Switch?

People are probably gonna hate me for this but i'm just don't really care about the Switch at the moment, i'm mean sure it looks good and the thing with it being both a handheld and a stationary console is cool but i just can't get hyped for it. First of the all i'm probably one of the few that don't like the Wii, it had some great games but the motion controlls ruined most of the games for me, if i played with a pro contorller it was fine but without i just couldn't enjoy it, and then we have the Wii U which was such a HUGE dissapointment in my opnion, it had very few games that made it worth buying the console (Splatoon and Super Smash Bros are the olny once i really care about and one of those games i can just play on my 3DS) at least for me, it had VERY bad third party support and like with the Wii the controller just ruined it for me, it's so clunky and big that it just wasn't comfortable to use in my opinion and the console itself was WAY to expensive for the hardware it offered compared to the Xbone and PS4. and now we get to the Switch and after 2 dissapointments i just can't hyped for the Switch, before i even think about buying one i need to know the price and the hardware because if it's going to cost as much as PS4/Xbone did at launch and only be equally or a bit above the PS4/Xbone specs i'm just not going to buy it at launch because it's not worth it, but you might say "Hey it's not that specs that matter it's games" While i agree with you none of the games shown are interesting to me, i'm mean Zelda looks pretty firetrucking awesome but one games just isn't enough to get me hyped.

This is why i can't be excited for the Switch, it looks cool but just isn't enough information about it for me to care. Am i the only one who thinks this?

P.S WHY ARE PEOPLE EXCITED FOR SKYRIM!!! when they showed Skyrim the only thing i could think was "Oh so you now have good enough hardware to run a 5 YEAR OLD GAME" also don't just say it's special edition because the special edition is just the same with very very little improvments (on PC there isn't even any improvements except it runs a bit better) 

Starting Price of Switch is 299

I'm pretty excited because of the amount of the 3rd party supporters behind it. That and anyone who has received the dev kit has said that the specs are impressive for such a tiny console.

Have that price been confrimed by Nintendo? because all i've seen are rumors. The 3rd party support is cool but it was the same with tthe WiI U before launched and we all know what happend there

it's totally fine to not be interested in this. especially after how the Wii U turned out. i think everyone is just excited for a new batch of Nintendo games, which feels like the only reason to buy a Nintendo console these days.

and i think people are excited about Skyrim for the portability option. that's all i can think of because it IS a five year old game. 

we'll see how this goes. if Nintendo doesn't get some good 3rd party support then it'll probably be another Wii U incident.

People are probably gonna hate me for this but i'm just don't really care about the Switch at the moment, i'm mean sure it looks good and the thing with it being both a handheld and a stationary console is cool but i just can't get hyped for it. First of the all i'm probably one of the few that don't like the Wii, it had some great games but the motion controlls ruined most of the games for me, if i played with a pro contorller it was fine but without i just couldn't enjoy it, and then we have the Wii U which was such a HUGE dissapointment in my opnion, it had very few games that made it worth buying the console (Splatoon and Super Smash Bros are the olny once i really care about and one of those games i can just play on my 3DS) at least for me, it had VERY bad third party support and like with the Wii the controller just ruined it for me, it's so clunky and big that it just wasn't comfortable to use in my opinion and the console itself was WAY to expensive for the hardware it offered compared to the Xbone and PS4. and now we get to the Switch and after 2 dissapointments i just can't hyped for the Switch, before i even think about buying one i need to know the price and the hardware because if it's going to cost as much as PS4/Xbone did at launch and only be equally or a bit above the PS4/Xbone specs i'm just not going to buy it at launch because it's not worth it, but you might say "Hey it's not that specs that matter it's games" While i agree with you none of the games shown are interesting to me, i'm mean Zelda looks pretty firetrucking awesome but one games just isn't enough to get me hyped.

This is why i can't be excited for the Switch, it looks cool but just isn't enough information about it for me to care. Am i the only one who thinks this?

P.S WHY ARE PEOPLE EXCITED FOR SKYRIM!!! when they showed Skyrim the only thing i could think was "Oh so you now have good enough hardware to run a 5 YEAR OLD GAME" also don't just say it's special edition because the special edition is just the same with very very little improvments (on PC there isn't even any improvements except it runs a bit better) 

Most gamers seem to have hated the Wii and Wii U, you're in the majority there. As someone that was really happy with my Wii and Wii U, I'm excited to see where the Switch goes. The Wii U had a really underrated library of games, and expanding upon those, bringing in new IPs, and getting some more third-party support would be fantastic in my opinion.

Starting Price of Switch is 299

I'm pretty excited because of the amount of the 3rd party supporters behind it. That and anyone who has received the dev kit has said that the specs are impressive for such a tiny console.

The Switch's price hasn't been confirmed at all.

Well, I'm still waiting for a Nintendo home console that isn't padded down by dumb gimmicks, so I guess I'm with you on that.

Unless you consider the ability to be able to pick up the game and play it somewhere else a dumb gimmick that limits the games (Which it doesn't do at all), I don't see how that applies to the Switch. You still use a normal controller and hook it up to a normal TV, you also have the option of bringing it somewhere else, which you don't even need to do. It's just a traditional home console that can be brought away from the TV as well if necessary.

CRAP I THOUGHT SHULK WAS OFFLINE, HE'S GONNA HUNT ME DOWN AND SKIN ME ALIVE, AAAAAAAH--*jumps out a window*

Ahem. Now for a for a more mature counter-statement.

Unless you consider the ability to be able to pick up the game and play it somewhere else a dumb gimmick that limits the games (Which it doesn't do at all), I don't see how that applies to the Switch. You still use a normal controller and hook it up to a normal TV, you also have the option of bringing it somewhere else, which you don't even need to do. It's just a traditional home console that can be brought away from the TV as well if necessary.

I appreciate the idea of having the option of alternating between home and handheld gaming with one console, especially if it's available for games you wouldn't normally even imagine as being played on a handheld i.e. Skyrim. That's pretty much my main positive about this new console.

But here's my beef: I don't like the default controller, I don't like how the Joy Cons are designed, I don't like how it supposedly plays "cartridges" and yet it's not backwards compatible with any of their other home and/or handheld consoles (the PS4, a console I actually want, isn't backwards compatible either but still, why is this such an issue in the modern gaming industry), and other than that new Zelda game, they haven't revealed anything interesting to play so far other than Skyrim, game that's 5 years old by this time.

CRAP I THOUGHT SHULK WAS OFFLINE, HE'S GONNA HUNT ME DOWN AND SKIN ME ALIVE, AAAAAAAH--*jumps out a window*

Ahem. Now for a for a more mature counter-statement.

I appreciate the idea of having the option of alternating between home and handheld gaming with one console, especially if it's available for games you wouldn't normally even imagine as being played on a handheld i.e. Skyrim. That's pretty much my main positive about this new console.

But here's my beef: I don't like the default controller, I don't like how the Joy Cons are designed, I don't like how it supposedly plays "cartridges" and yet it's not backwards compatible with any of their other home and/or handheld consoles (the PS4, a console I actually want, isn't backwards compatible either but still, why is this such an issue in the modern gaming industry), and other than that new Zelda game, they haven't revealed anything interesting to play so far other than Skyrim, game that's 5 years old by this time.

GET OVER HERE, I'M NOT FINISHED YET.

What do you not like about the default controller? It's pretty much what you said you wanted their next console to have: an ordinary controller. As for the Joy Cons, you don't need to use those, you can just stick to the default controller. I personally don't like how the single Joy Con option looks, so I'm sticking to the other options. The Wii U didn't use cartridges, so it wouldn't be able to play those. It also looks like a different type of cartridge from what the 3DS used, and even then, this is the next home console, not handheld. A 3DS Player would be great, and they could still reveal that later. As for games, they're going to reveal launch-window games next month, and they said the reason they've waited so long to unveil the system is because they wanted a solid launch line-up, so I'd say there's nothing to worry about in terms of the system having a poor lineup when it's released. They're making it clear that they don't want the Switch to be a repeat of the Wii U. As for Skyrim... well, everyone was pretty excited about the remaster, so I'd say that's pretty relevant today, especially now that there's a portable version that won't require an expensive gaming laptop.

What do you not like about the default controller? It's pretty much what you said you wanted their next console to have: an ordinary controller.

Except it doesn't. It still looks like a tablet with extra parts tacked onto the left and right sides. Even with the tablet taken out, it still has that look and feel. Yeah, that's technically better than the other option, but I still don't like the design. And knowing Nintendo, the Pro Controller is something you have to buy separate and won't come with the console.

The Wii U didn't use cartridges, so it wouldn't be able to play those. It also looks like a different type of cartridge from what the 3DS used, and even then, this is the next home console, not handheld. A 3DS Player would be great, and they could still reveal that later. 

This is specifically marketed and define as a "hybrid" console, meaning that it supports both home and handheld console play. If they wanted to be "innovative", they should have a way to work around that. I mean, hey, they're making cartridges now, how about a "Best of Wii U" series of ports?

As for games, they're going to reveal launch-window games next month, and they said the reason they've waited so long to unveil the system is because they wanted a solid launch line-up, so I'd say there's nothing to worry about in terms of the system having a poor lineup when it's released.

It kind of is when your competition already has their new consoles out and already has a steady library of games to choose from, first and/or third party. Again, Zelda is cool, but first impressions are everything.

They're making it clear that they don't want the Switch to be a repeat of the Wii U.

Well, they're having a bad start at it as far as I'm concerned.

Except it doesn't. It still looks like a tablet with extra parts tacked onto the left and right sides. Even with the tablet taken out, it still has that look and feel. Yeah, that's technically better than the other option, but I still don't like the design. And knowing Nintendo, the Pro Controller is something you have to buy separate and won't come with the console.

Uh... the Pro Controller is the default controller.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_11.24.20_AM.0.

The tablet is what has all the hardware and everything inside of it; it technically is the console. Its primary use is to be put into the dock and hooked up to the TV, but they put everything necessary to play the game on the tablet and gave it the screen so it could also be played on the go. It has the power of a home console and everything, it's just at a size that makes it portable and also has a screen for the same purpose.

This is specifically marketed and define as a "hybrid" console, meaning that it supports both home and handheld console play. If they wanted to be "innovative", they should have a way to work around that. I mean, hey, they're making cartridges now, how about a "Best of Wii U" series of ports?

Yes, but it's a continuation from the Wii U. It's not replacing the 3DS. Also, there have been plenty of reports that it's going to have ports of some of the more popular Wii U games, including Smash and Xenoblade. I'd be surprised if there was no way to play Wii U games at all, it just isn't physically backwards-compatible. There could be digital ports as well.

It kind of is when your competition already has their new consoles out and already has a steady library of games to choose from, first and/or third party. Again, Zelda is cool, but first impressions are everything.

This is the first system in its new generation, comparing it to the PS4 and Xbox One doesn't really work. Those have been out for years, this is the first "next-gen" system. Regardless of how it compared power-wise or whether or not you and other people liked it, the Wii U is in the same generation as the PS4 and Xbox One. And again, the trailer that was released was said to be a little teaser. They gave a taste of what the system can do and what types of games it'll have, and they're going to go all out with showing what it's getting at launch in a month. It's way too soon to say that its library is bad.

Well, they're having a bad start at it as far as I'm concerned.

How so? They're doing a lot more in terms of marketing, they're setting it apart from the Wii line to avoid confusion, and they're getting more third-parties on board to support the system. Yeah, there are people arguing that the Wii U tried the latter thing, but it seems like third-parties are a lot more open to the Switch this time around, and they're even getting companies that never gave the Wii U a look.

Uh... the Pro Controller is the default controller.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-20_at_11.24.20_AM.0.

The tablet is what has all the hardware and everything inside of it; it technically is the console. Its primary use is to be put into the dock and hooked up to the TV, but they put everything necessary to play the game on the tablet and gave it the screen so it could also be played on the go. It has the power of a home console and everything, it's just at a size that makes it portable and also has a screen for the same purpose.

I'd still prefer the option of buying the console with just the Pro Controller or something else. Or, similar to ordering at a fast food joint, buying my console and asking to take the tablet stuff off.

Yes, but it's a continuation from the Wii U. It's not replacing the 3DS.

Didn't say that, I said it was trying to be innovative and support both. Which it is. I mean again, it's about "options" isn't it? Some people like to play home consoles, others prefer handhelds, and some like both. In the realm of "innovation", I don't see much excuse to push that envelop a little further.

This is the first system in its new generation, comparing it to the PS4 and Xbox One doesn't really work. Those have been out for years, this is the first "next-gen" system.

No, it's still 8th gen. The Wii U was Nintendo's first next-gen system that was released alongside PS4 and Xbone and still counts as their first home console 8th gen attempt even though they're making the Switch now. And even when it will be released, I sincerely doubt Sony and MS are going to be doing a PS5 or a Xboxtwo by then, but that's because they don't need to. They already got their 8th gen consoles out, Nintendo is just doing a reboot. And even then, you can have more than one console release per generation, no one's ever said you can't. In the 2nd gen, Atari released the 2600 and then the 5200. In the 3rd gen, Sega released the SG-1000 and then the Master System, while Atari released the 7800 and then the XEGS. In the 4th gen, NEC released the PCE/TG16 and then the SuperGrafx. The only difference here is that this is the first time this has happened in the past 25 years.

How so? They're doing a lot more in terms of marketing, they're setting it apart from the Wii line to avoid confusion, and they're getting more third-parties on board to support the system. Yeah, there are people arguing that the Wii U tried the latter thing, but it seems like third-parties are a lot more open to the Switch this time around, and they're even getting companies that never gave the Wii U a look.

There's still no games I'm even remotely interested in other than Zelda. And again, the very first trailer showed off a game that's five years old. That's just not something I want to see in a marketing campaign new console. At the very least, they could have showed off an IP that they actually own or maybe a Wii U game to tie back into that backwards compatibility point I made or at least something else. Why not a Mario game? They probably already have ten of those locked in cold storage given how easy it is to make and sell those nowadays.

I'd still prefer the option of buying the console with just the Pro Controller or something else. Or, similar to ordering at a fast food joint, buying my console and asking to take the tablet stuff off.

Again, the tablet really is the system. You don't have to use it for portable reasons, just stick it on the dock and use the Pro Controller. Joy Cons are for the people that want to take it on the go, it's not like buying the system without them would make a difference.

Didn't say that, I said it was trying to be innovative and support both. Which it is. I mean again, it's about "options" isn't it? Some people like to play home consoles, others prefer handhelds, and some like both. In the realm of "innovation", I don't see much excuse to push that envelop a little further.

They never said it was going to support Wii U and 3DS, just that it was a hybrid.

No, it's still 8th gen. The Wii U was Nintendo's first next-gen system that was released alongside PS4 and Xbone and still counts as their first home console 8th gen attempt even though they're making the Switch now. And even when it will be released, I sincerely doubt Sony and MS are going to be doing a PS5 or a Xboxtwo by then, but that's because they don't need to. They already got their 8th gen consoles out, Nintendo is just doing a reboot. And even then, you can have more than one console release per generation, no one's ever said you can't. In the 2nd gen, Atari released the 2600 and then the 5200. In the 3rd gen, Sega released the SG-1000 and then the Master System, while Atari released the 7800 and then the XEGS. In the 4th gen, NEC released the PCE/TG16 and then the SuperGrafx. The only difference here is that this is the first time this has happened in the past 25 years.

It's next-gen. Just because the PS5 and Xboxwhateverthenextonewillbe aren't coming out alongside it doesn't mean that it can't be the start of the next generation. And even if you're right about it being the second console released in the generation, it still isn't fair to compare it to systems that have been out for years. Of course those have a bigger library, they've had time to build it. You're still being way too hasty in assuming that the Switch will have a bad library.

There's still no games I'm even remotely interested in other than Zelda. And again, the very first trailer showed off a game that's five years old. That's just not something I want to see in a marketing campaign new console. At the very least, they could have showed off an IP that they actually own or maybe a Wii U game to tie back into that backwards compatibility point I made or at least something else. Why not a Mario game? They probably already have ten of those locked in cold storage given how easy it is to make and sell those nowadays.

It might not work for you, but a lot of people were excited by a portable version of Skyrim. And they did show off IPs they own... Did you not see Mario Kart and Splatoon? And they showed the next 3D Mario game as well. They were very clearly shown in the trailer, I don't know how you missed them. It was a 3 minute trailer, I don't know what you were expecting them to show in such a short amount of time. Wait until January 12 before writing off the launch line-up.

Again, the tablet really is the system.

And that's the main reason I don't like it. The console isn't just a console, it's a gimmick, and as I've made it clear already, I don't like gimmicks...

They never said it was going to support Wii U and 3DS, just that it was a hybrid.

But it should is what I'm saying. That would give me a lot more motivation to actually pick up and buy it. If, of course, the other stuff wasn't attached, but obviously, it will be...

It's next-gen. Just because the PS5 and Xboxwhateverthenextonewillbe aren't coming out alongside it doesn't mean that it can't be the start of the next generation. And even if you're right about it being the second console released in the generation, it still isn't fair to compare it to systems that have been out for years. Of course those have a bigger library, they've had time to build it. You're still being way too hasty in assuming that the Switch will have a bad library.

That's not how the whole "console generation" thing works. The 8th generation, the one we're currently in right now, started in 2012 when Nintendo released the Wii U, which led to Sony's PS4 and MS's Xbox One being released one year later. The Switch is coming out in 2017. You're telling me that a whole generation of gaming only lasts four years just because Nintendo's first console tanked and they're starting over again? A console generation usually lasts anywhere between 10 or 20 years, and despite what "innovations" Nintendo is making with the Switch, it's still basically just a suped up Wii U 2.0. It'd be more plausible to say that Sony is making more head into the next generation of gaming considering how much work they're putting in virtual reality of all things.

And my point about the library isn't that I'm assuming it will have a small library in its entire lifespan, my point was that the competition already has established consoles and games out on the market so Nintendo should be doing everything they can to show off as many new Switch games as possible so they can keep up and get people interested.

It might not work for you, but a lot of people were excited by a portable version of Skyrim. And they did show off IPs they own... Did you not see Mario Kart and Splatoon? And they showed the next 3D Mario game as well. They were very clearly shown in the trailer, I don't know how you missed them. It was a 3 minute trailer, I don't know what you were expecting them to show in such a short amount of time. Wait until January 12 before writing off the launch line-up.

New IPs. I meant new IPs. Mario Kart and Splatoon i.e. games that they already had on the last console? One of which is a franchise they've been cranking out since the SNES days? Not new IPs. 3D Mario game that looks like every other 3D Mario game they've put out since New Super Mario Bros Wii? Not a new IP. 

And you know, maybe if they cut out all the stuff about their gimmicks, maybe they would have had time to show off some gameplay of new stuff, you know, something interesting and proof that they're trying for new things instead of just trying to sell a slightly improved version of a console that already failed on them.

At this point, I think its obvious that I'm clearly not in the party that's particularly excited for this console and have no qualms about being optimistic towards it success. I don't like it, I'm not fond of the business model it represents, and all it's proven to me is that the only Nintendo product I'd even be remotedly interested in is a 3DS and nothing more.

It might not limit the games but it will limit other stuff like battery power, Frame rate on the tablet and other stuff

Well, I am excited for the Switch, but I can understand where you're coming from! For me, at least, I'm not going to purchase the Switch immediately, because I want to wait and see if this new system builds up a good game library! If it does, then hey, I'll be buying the Switch in a heartbeat! The system definitely has potential, we just have to wait and see if it'll deliver, ya know? :)

I don't care for Nintendo anymore tbh. Maybe if it's cheap and there's some fun games but the Wii was total garbage. I sold my 3DS like 2 months ago as well. The new Zelda looks fun and I also look forward to

Mario Party (if they make a new one)

Smash Bros 4 port

Pokken tournament port

And whatever else. I'm glad this one can be used on a TV and not some tiny little screen that's going to destroy my retina if I play for too long.

If it's like £150 and there's good games I'll ask for one, but I'm happy with my PS4 and my PC.

And that's the main reason I don't like it. The console isn't just a console, it's a gimmick, and as I've made it clear already, I don't like gimmicks...

With that mindset, you may as well stick with Sony. Honestly, Nintendo is about changing their gaming experience, it's their philosophy. At the very least, the "unique" features for the Switch are nowhere as detrimental as the Wii U was.

Is there anything wrong with conventional gaming? absolutely not, but at the same time, innovation helps in a stagnating video especially when there's only really three major companies representing the international console market.

Not buying a console because of some gimmick and over-hyped games based on nostalgia driven franchises. If there are enough good looking games then I'll buy it, else I'm not bothering. 

You haven't even tried the gimmick. And I'm pretty sure Square Enix's portfolio consists of over-hyped games based on nostalgia driven franchises so that's a weak argument. No offence, but unless you've actually tried the gimmick, it's not a good idea to judge it solely based on that.

You haven't even tried the gimmick. And I'm pretty sure Square Enix's portfolio consists of over-hyped games based on nostalgia driven franchises so that's a weak argument. No offence, but unless you've actually tried the gimmick, it's not a good idea to judge it solely based on that.

How has Square Enix's portfolio been based on over hyped games due to nostalgia exactly? I never played Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy growing up but they all hold up now when I'm playing the latest ports. People still put KH2 on a pedestal because it's so well balanced and that game has only been around for 10 years.

If I don't judge based on eye then I should buy everything I see because of the small chance that it could be 'good'.

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen