Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
AwesomeKHfan

So KH3 is in development for 6 years now

This is a common misconception. Although pre production started in 2010, the game didn't even get started until 2013 and all that footage was extremely early. In 2014 there were engine issues with the Square Enix in house engine-Luminous, so they moved over to the unreal engine 4.

And Final Fantasy 15 started development in 2006.

Think about that.[/quote

And still not released I mean we got FF15

Versus 13 started development in 2006, FF15 started development in 2013. They aren't the same game, the PS3 came out in 2006. How would they be making a PS4 game when the PS3 just came out?

Edited by Barry Bacon Allen

This is a common misconception. Although pre production started in 2010, the game didn't even get started until 2013 and all that footage was extremely early. In 2014 there were engine issues with the Square Enix in house engine-Luminous, so they moved over to the unreal engine 4.

Versus 13 started development in 2006, FF15 started development in 2013. They aren't the same game, the PS3 came out in 2006.

Aren't Versus 13 and 15 the same game, or rather wasn't 15 going to be called versus 13 but it was renamed in 2013?

Edited by Master Eraqus

6 years is still pretty normal compared to 10 years, which people think it has been 10 years. In reality, it's only been 2 1/2 years to 3 for KH3, along with FFXV (actual production/development) so KH3 is fine. If KH3 were released in 2023 or so, then we'd have expectations really high. 

Like Barry said, pre-production began in 2010, but that only involved putting the framework together, things like scenario planning, script writing and storyboarding. The actual coding and model work didn't begin until 2013.

Yes, the PS4 didn't even release until 2013 so how would they start programming things? I'm sure they received dev kits early but not 3 years early.

Aren't Versus 13 and 15 the same game, or rather wasn't 15 going to be called versus 13 but it was renamed in 2013?

No. Tetsuya Nomura's Final Fantasy Versus 13 began development in 2006 and was going to tie in to the Fabula Nova Crystallis series alongside FF13 and FF Type 0. After development issues, Nomura being made to direct side games for Kingdom Hearts and the Versus 13 team working on FF13, it all went south. After the bad fan reception of FF13 and the PS4 on its way in the future, Versus 13 was recreated as FF15 in December of 2012. They kept the base story and characters relatively the same, but condensed the story so it could fit in 1 game rather than a trilogy as planned. After Hajime Tabata took over development, it lost nearly all ties to Versus 13 since he made it all westerny rather than super dark like Nomura planned.

I doubt it was in ACTUAL development in 2010, planning sounds more right. The reveal in 2013 was a extremely early build, but just like what ND just did with The Last of Us, they felt it was right to announce it and let people know it's currently on their radar. I just wish Square in JP wasn't announcing/teasing all these titles they know mass of groups want, when they know they can't work on everything and make them a quality product at the same time.

In comparison to FFXV, I don't see it as bad, Nomura took advantage of it by releasing BBS and 3DDD, then we got a bunch of Remasters that were actually good, while FFXV was assumingly, constantly being changed and altered, and finally getting a anime and film in its year of release

KH3 has been in development since 2010 and FFXV started development in 2006. Plus, FFXV was FFVSXIII originally and when the PS4 came along, they had to start a ton from scratch and then they released the title about two weeks ago. Naturally the title that would start development earlier would be released first.

And still not released I mean we got FF15

And Final Fantasy 15 started development in 2006.

Think about that.

Versus 13 started development in 2006, FF15 started development in 2013. They aren't the same game, the PS3 came out in 2006. How would they be making a PS4 game when the PS3 just came out?

It IS...and it ISN'T. In spirit, it is the same project, but in the end it turned out becoming a different game than what was originally envisioned. As Barry has stated, FF Versus XIII was originally going to tie more into the Fabula Nova Crytalis series (with FF XIII and Type-0), with a bit of a darker storyline, but due to various circumstances including negative fan reactions against XIII (I mean, I thought it was alright), the long delays, all the different factors tying into Nomura's other projects like Kingdom Hearts, and the oncoming transition from Gen 7 to Gen 8, an executive decision was made...or rather several that kind of developed one after the other over time. First, Versus XIII became rebranded as XV, then various changes to the story, gameplay, set scenarios, and other features slowly started to take place and be released to the public. Nomura and Tabata were then co-directors, working together to change most of the story while making sure essential parts of it stayed in tact, such as the overall conflict and the main characters themselves. Then later on, either Nomura left the project on his own accord to focus more on his other projects, or Square Enix proper mandated that he be moved from the project. In any case, Nomura left and it was up to Tabata to take the game the rest of the way from where he and Nomura got it to, making a few more changes while still trying to respect the few traits that they wanted to keep from the Versus XIII days. In the end, the game is pretty different from what it originally set out to be, still having darker elements but not being an overall gloomy story like it had originally suggested to be, having a more balanced experience of lighter moments, exciting thrilling moments, and darker and somber moments mixed in every little part of the game. The focus became less about it being an extension of one larger experience and more of an evolution of what you would find in a single numbered Final Fantasy title. Whether you think it's better for it or not is up to you, I personally think it would have been fine either way.

Like Barry said, pre-production began in 2010, but that only involved putting the framework together, things like scenario planning, script writing and storyboarding. The actual coding and model work didn't begin until 2013.

Yes, the PS4 didn't even release until 2013 so how would they start programming things? I'm sure they received dev kits early but not 3 years early.

No. Tetsuya Nomura's Final Fantasy Versus 13 began development in 2006 and was going to tie in to the Fabula Nova Crystallis series alongside FF13 and FF Type 0. After development issues, Nomura being made to direct side games for Kingdom Hearts and the Versus 13 team working on FF13, it all went south. After the bad fan reception of FF13 and the PS4 on its way in the future, Versus 13 was recreated as FF15 in December of 2012. They kept the base story and characters relatively the same, but condensed the story so it could fit in 1 game rather than a trilogy as planned. After Hajime Tabata took over development, it lost nearly all ties to Versus 13 since he made it all westerny rather than super dark like Nomura planned.

Basically. I think as soon as the title change trailer was aired, Nomura requested that everybody just reset their "how long until this game is released" clocks, so at that point the wait for Versus XIII should have ended then and there, technically.

If it's any consellation Tetsuya Nomura did say the game was announced too early.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/kotaku.com/according-to-its-director-kingdom-hearts-3-was-reveale-513072870/amp?client=safari

Yeah, at best we've really been waiting for this game for 4 years at most, since Dream Drop Distance was the first game acknowledging KH3 as an end-goal, unless you count Re:Coded, though I can't remember if they emphasized that point as much as they did with 3D. I think they just mostly focused on how it took place directly after KH2, so we weren't getting prequels anymore (though it is technically a "midquel"). Point is 2011-2012 AT THE EARLIEST was when any signs of KH3's actual early development was either heavily hinted at or directly confirmed, with 2013 being the point where it was properly announced to the world as a project under active physical development. So at best we will have been actually waiting for about 5 years by the time the game comes out (assuming it hits a late 2017 release date like I'm speculating/hoping...but we shall see), not 10.

But like with XV, I guess it all depends on how you look at it. While Versus XIII and XV ended up becoming completely different games, they were originally one project, so if you were enough of a fan to have considered them one and the same concept that simply got edited over time, then you could make the argument that you have been waiting for the game for 10 years.

Likewise, you could also make the same argument for KH3, buuuuut that's a little bit trickier to justify, as KH3 as a concept didn't really start until well after Birth by Sleep was finished and released in 2010, so it doesn't have as much of a creative history as XV had. You could argue that we have all been anticipating Kingdom Hearts 3's release ever since the release of KH2 in 2005, but that was more of a hope for a hypothetical title. I mean remember when everyone thought that the Birth by Sleep secret endings in KH2 were supposed to be hinting at a KH3 (I mean KH1's Deep Dive secret endings ended up becoming KH2 anyway, so it makes sense to assume that...though they also turned out to be 358/2 Days later on, so....)? Yeah funny how that turned out, we actually explored KH's past rather than it's future. Point is that nothing was definitely said about a "KH3" until roughly around the time Re:Coded was released in 2011, since the game actually went forward with events after KH2 rather than backward, resparking public interest in the future of KH. Not so much with the original Coded since it saw a limited release in one region and it was much earlier into the "portable games saga" and still had a long development that saw it ending after Birth by Sleep's initial release, and by then they were already planning to re-release it on DS anyway. That's a whole 3 years! Must be how long Square is willing to support mobile/digital games I guess...

Anyway, point is that the development of the series can be divided into it's milestones as endgoals, with the first being KH1's initial release in 2002, then KH2's release in 2005, then Birth by Sleep's release in 2010, and now KH3's eventual release, whenever that ends up being. I only noted those titles in particular because even with the other games in the series, you could tell that their main purpose was to try and lead up to an even bigger title in the end. KH1 was it's own thing with an uncertain future, then Chain of Memories meaning to lead up to KH2 (which was already shown to be in development and the game is practically advertised like this, already generating hype for the next numbered title in the series), it's goal would later be refined by Re:Chain of Memories since it released after KH2. Then KH2 was meant to tie up loose ends from KH1 but still leave enough room for a future that ended up being teased in it's secret ending for Birth by Sleep that would end up explaining the series' origins (for the time anyway), then 358/2 Days was meant to both be a bridge between KH1, CoM, and KH2 as well as tease the release and mystery of BbS. Then BbS explained the series' origins and paved the way for the future releases of the game, with the intention of eventually ending up at KH3. This would lead into Re:coded, and while you could argue that Coded itself was already trying to move the series forward after Re:Chain of Memories, it still moved at it's own pace that ended up seeing it finish after BbS was released anyway, and by that point they were already planning to remake it for DS anyway. From then on, every game released was made with the intension of leading up to KH3, and Re:coded was the first game to start taking the steps towards the series future after KH2, despite it technically taking place before KH2's final ending scene, which then smoothly transitioned into Dream Drop Distance's release, with it's advertising being much more explicit about it leading into KH3 eventually, then KH X being released shortly thereafter going even further into the series' origins. This slow movement towards KH3 eventually led to the release of KH 1.5, then KH 2.5, then Unchained X, and then the announcement of KH 2.8 and the first two HD collections being brought to PS4.

This pattern shows 4 games as the major milestones of the series, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, and Kingdom Hearts III, so if you want to be more precise about when true waiting for KH3 began when it was first told to be in early pre-development like with Versus XIII, that would have been with the release of Birth by Sleep in 2010. The best way to look at it is to follow the secret endings that include "Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts". They all explicitly show the desire to continue the story after KH2, and Birth by Sleep is the first game to show this. So if you want to stretch out the wait the all the way from early development like with Versus XIII, then you would ultimately have been waiting for this game for about, indeed, 6 years now. Almost 7 soon enough. KH3's journey was nowhere near as long and drawn out as XV's was, but it is still certainly noteworthy, as both these titles have been anticipated by fans for so long, and they both have their roots from the same creator. In a way, they're like siblings, and even Nomura himself considers the main protagonists of both like his own sons...though in this case I think that would make Noctis the eldest, even if the KH series as a whole predates XV. And with XV already out and in the public consciousness, it's only a matter of time before KH3 becomes the next big major event of gaming history that everyone will be paying attention to for the next 2 years or so, as well as FF VII Remake.

Does it say that in the interviews below that? Because from what I gather from those KH3 wasn't even in the pre-planning phase. It was like pre-pre-planning. Essentially, getting the base idea for where they wanted to go, and then creating DDD.

There are interviews in which he states it, but that goes back to 2013 and will take some digging.

Even though pre-planning for the game did indeed go underway in 2010, like everyone else has said, official development for the worlds and layout came to being in 2013! So in reality, we have been waiting three to almost four years, which isn't bad! The thing here is that we as fans have expected Kingdom Hearts III since Kingdom Hearts II's ending way back in 2006, and that's why it's felt like 10 years for us, but in reality, when Nomura actually announced Kingdom Hearts III, that's when the real wait began, ya know?

...I want Kingdom Hearts III badly. xD