Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
DChiuch

Series director Tetsuya Nomura says that Kingdom Hearts III's release is still a while away

Speaking with Famitsu Weekly magazine this week, Tetsuya Nomura, the director of the Kingdom Hearts series had some words to say about the Kingdom Hearts series, and the development status of Kingdom Hearts III.

Nomura stated that Kingdom Hearts III (along with Final Fantasy VII Remake, which he is also working on) still has "a ways to go", with some worlds that remain untouched so far, and other unannounced worlds advancing in production. The relevant excerpt from the interview can be seen below, originally provided by Hachima and translated by Siliconera.

--What’s the development status on Kingdom Hearts III?

Nomura: “The production process is different than what we’ve had up until now, so I can’t just give you a general idea, but I can say that there are worlds that still remain untouched. We’ve advanced on the production of worlds that have yet to be announced, so we can’t show them for now. As far as development status goes, there’s still a ways to go.”

--What’s the development status on Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Nomura: “We’re making steady progress on its production. While we are indeed working on it, I think we’ll have you guys wait a little longer for both Kingdom Hearts III and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

I do apologize for that, but we’ll make up for it by making it into something that will meet expectations.

We didn’t share much information on either of the two titles last year, but I hope to show its progress at some event this year.

The release of these titles will still be a while. However, we have many titles releasing this year, and we hope you look forward to any ‘surprises’.”

The quote appears to imply that Kingdom Hearts III will definitely not be releasing in 2017, although, Nomura aims to show some of the game's progress off sometime this year.

Translations of the full interview can be found under the cut thanks to Catherine Mueller (nichiei.translations@gmail.com). Be warned that there are spoilers for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 HD Final Chapter Prologue!

Spoiler

Click here to view the article

Not surprised but I'm more disappointed in the fanbase' reaction. You can't expect them to make 20 worlds and a long game within 3 years. I say 3 because the Luminous Engine pushed them back since it caused tech issues.

Not to mention that Nomura had to make 2.8 and FF7 remake.Oh and he'll prioritise FF7 remake over KH3, that's quite obvious. So I'm guessing FF7 remake next Christmas and KH3 summer 2018 or early 2019.

Seriously, Square need to stop giving this man so many projects to work on. There are far more capable directors *cough Hiroyuki Ito where are you save us.

KH1.5

KH2.5

KH2.8

TWEWY and probably TWEWY 2 in the future

FF7 Remake, all parts.

KH3

FF10-3 (Yes, it'll be happening)

The KH side games

WOFF character designs 

Probably some involvement in Dissidia's port

FF15 and V13.

They need to hire more directors. But my backlog is INSANELY huge so I can wait.

Edited by The 13th Kenpachi

Please take your time with the game bro to hell what the other think if they call themselves true kingdom hearts fan they can wait like kairi waited for Sora it may been long and she may forgotten but she still gotten her promise

Well of course it ain't coming out in 2015, lol! Definitely still a chance for 2017 tho. xD

JK, I think you meant that it might not be coming out this year, 2017. While I think there might still be some wiggle room, the fact that they aren't ready to show anything major off quite yet shows that it might still have at least another year to be worked on.

Still, I hope that in the meantime they'll give us plenty of stuff to tide us over until it releases. I can't honestly imagine any other titles they could possibly come up with before releasing 3, it really feels like 2.8 and 1.5+2.5 are the last stepping stones in the direction of KH3, yet if we can optimistically hope that KH3 would come out early 2018, that would still leave about 9 months between releases to keep that KH anniversary hype alive. There's gotta be something in the works to that end, even if it ended up being something relatively minor.

But then again, it's Final Fantasy, FFVII, and TWEWY's big year too, maybe that's what those other 9 months will be dedicated towards. Either way, it'd still be nice to have something pretty decent KH-related to hold us over during that 9 month interval, though I'm sure if we were given a more lucid release window for 2018 sometime this year, we'd be pretty fine with just waiting. Well, I would anyway.

I'm not surprised but didn't the last trailers said some upcoming announcements of KH3 this winter or something?

Winter's still got another 2 months to it. It could come up out of nowhere at any moment, either tomorrow or even the first week of March. It's up to Square and Disney at this point.

I didn't expect it this year, but this is the worst possible news. I'm hopefully going start a PhD next year and am worried that I won't find time for 3. Plus, my younger brother and I share a PS4, so unless he's willing to turn it on and put 3 in for remote play, I won't be able to play it at all.

It's not really a surprise, a 2017 release without hardly any promo beforehand would've been very weird. 2.8 is somewhat of a major release after all, even though half of it is only a remake. At least we can now rest those discussions and focus on the future.

I sure hope we might get some early KH3 trailer or at least some promotional scenes at E3 this year! That I'd certainly enjoy and I suppose that with 2.8 and FFXV out of the way, at least something small is a possibility.

Well, I can't say that I wasn't disheartened, because then I'd be lying! But I'm not going to complain either, because I want the most perfect Kingdom Hearts experience ever, so Nomura can take his sweet time with the game! If I've waited ten years for Kingdom Hearts III, I can wait another two years! It's better to have a quality game than a rushed mess! A lot of KH fans might not feel that way, but please understand that Nomura is a busy man, and we shouldn't rush him! D:

And well, I'm not too worried either, because since this year is the 15th Anniversary of the series, I'm sure we'll get lots of exposure on KHIII that'll keep us hyped up enough till the game's release! Heck, a 2018 release window would make me happy! Let's see what happens!

Thanks for the article, Grandmaster Chiuch! :3

That was... a very interesting interview.

He's making a Keyblade himself that is modeled after the “x blade.”

Wait... what? I mean, all Keyblades are derived from the x blade, but if he's still doing it, it can't be a reference to the ones he and the Foretellers use. The Kingdom Key, then? Is that why KK looks so much like the x blade, because MoM modeled the Keyblade after it?

There's Ephemer, Skuld, Ventus, and then two others... we're not showing their faces, but there are five characters holding the key.

So the two who weren't shown in that image a while ago actually are important characters and not just extras, huh? I feel like it's either new people, Vanitas + someone, or Xion and Roxas. These seem like the most likely possibilities to be able to be tied to Ven.