Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
G-SANtos

[Theory] The KHX Player's canon identity and role in KHIII

Here's a theory I've tried to post since December or November, but only got time now, in the eleventh hour, as KHχBC is almost about to be streamed and may confirm or debunk it.

So, I have been thinking about the KHχ Player's identity for some time, and I have a theory about who this person could be. I know there are probably some people that don't like the idea of the Player having a canon identity, but there's two things to consider:
1- The Player is becoming too important. They are only character who is known to have survived the Keyblade War, and there's no way they would avoid mentioning that.
2- The Player will be in KHIII. How do I know that? Because they have already told us their role: The Player is the battle-scarred Keyblade wielder.

With that, let's think about who the Player could be.

Let's start by Union. I'll go with what Tumblr user Kingdom Hearts χ posted here:

I think canonically, [player] should be Unicornis
That way, Ephemera and Skuld are Vulpes which makes the relationship between Ephemera and Ava more logical (she sends ahead someone from her own union) as well as Gula’s comments about Skuld being so very like Ava (she’s like her Foreteller). Plus after you get creamed by Aced, Ira isn’t just pissed that Aced is fighting a wielder, he’s pissed that Aced nearly wiped out someone from his own union. That makes his line about fighting so there is no victor (aka we’re all going to die together) resonate more, as he is imparting his last words to one of his followers.

This makes sense. It is perfectly logical that Ephemer is Vulpes, because it would mean Ava is sending someone from her Union to lead the Dandelions.
Plus, in the Keyblade War, if Aced attacks the Player, Ira comes to their rescue. If you're neither Unicornis nor Ursus, you're attacked by Aced and saved by Ira, and later, you're attacked by Ira and saved by Aced. This makes no sense. Ira wouldn't just randomly stop fighting Aced and then attack a random wielder. With how personal the rivlry between Ira and Aced seems to be, it makes no sense that they would start fighting and then suddenly ignore each other to attack someone else. The most logical conclusion is that the Player must be either Unicornis or Ursus.

And, with how Unicornis's emblem is the one at the top, you would think a protagonist would be in that group, right?

First of all, I think the Player is going to be a girl. Like, almost all games wth gender option end up having the male protagonist being the one who is canonized. And Nomura wants KH games to be surprising. Put 2 and 2 together and you can think Nomura might make the Player a girl simply to surprise us or to make it different.

Now for the name. Thinking of a name for the Player is what made me think of their identity. I'll post a quote from a post I read once, and is what basically made me start thinking about it.

If the Player is a girl, that would be awesome. But, a result would be Ephemera being shipped with >Player<. And the Player's name would have to be based on the future, with Skuld being the past, Ephemera being the present. Or the Player could have a name based on light. Anyway, I think it would be welcomed and the Player might become a liked character simply because they are us.
Then, I first thought the Mirai was perfect: It is a Japanese word that means "future" and is also a girl's name. Being Japanese connects it Sora. And it can be written "光雷", which are the kanji for "light" and "thunder", and thunders come from the sky (Sora).
However, something seemed off to me, so I went to look up Skuld, and that is actually the Norn of the future, not the past. Luxu just mixed up the two.

Then I started to think of names that mean "past" or relate to it. Here are some possibilities I thought of:

-Kako. Japanese word for past. While the actual spelling of word past, "過去", isn't used for a name, Kako is a girl's name. And, it can be written "花心", which are the kanji for "flower" and "heart". This works as symbolism for KHχ, as "flower" would refer to the Dandelions and "heart" for obvious reasons. Being Japanese connects to Sora.

-Preterit. Meaning something similar to past, and Ephemer's name isn't literally "past".

-Legend or something similar. The worst possibility I thought of. The logic was similar to "legends come from the past".

-Eterna. The last name I thought of. The logic is based on Ephemer's name: If the present is ephemeral because it lasts one second, then the past is eternal because it can't be changed. The only problem with that is it would be weird because the name contrasts only with Ephemer, and not Skuld. Also, I'm kind of expecting Ephemer to get a new Keychain called "Eternal [something]", so it would be weird for the Player to have a name based on "eternal", and I expect the Player to keep the Starlight forever.
Alternatively, a name based on stone, from "set in stone" would work.

And then, there's my favorite:
-Verleden or Vervlogene. Both are Dutch for past, and can be shortened to "Ver". This one has two reasons.
First of all, "Ver" is similar to "Ven", as such, the Player would be connected to Ven, not Sora. Nomura said Ven has some role in KHUχ, and we don't know what it is yet. Maybe Ven existed in the past? But even so, I don't think Ven is the Player, though, just connected.
And think about it, the Player has a Spirit Chirithy AND a Nightmare Chirithy, right? And the dark Chirithy said "I am your darkness" to the Player. Tell me, doesn't that seem a bit similar to Vanitas? We could have a symbolic connection to Ven here. Plus, the Player's default hair color is similar to Ven's, and the male Player's default hairstyle has an upward tuft similar to Ven's.
In that case, I would prefer the name to be Vervlogene, because in katakana it would be ヴェルヴロヒーン, because it is difficult to pronounce and justify a nickname, which I think is the only reason Ven got one: ヴェントゥス is difficult to pronounce and the nickname is a way to not have to say his name all the time.

The second reason, is what "Ver" means. "Ver" is Portuguese for "to see". The Player saw the Keyblade War, and is the only character we know to have survived it.

So, what do you think?
Edited by G-SANtos

Huge leaps in logic throughout this post, but for the most part the "player" has more or less been revealed to be ventus, Nomura is very bad at hinting without spoiling and by putting Ventus with ephemera and skuld in the chi anniversary picture and by stating that Ventus had a special role in the ending to chi on the PC, he might as well should have just came out and said it.