Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

So today I learned something new. It's impossible to beat Young Xehanort at Level 1 without specific Dream Eaters using Spirit Roar on you, which is a purely lucked based ability. Yeah you read that right. IMPOSSIBLE.

Why even bother putting a challenge restriction mechanic into your game when you clearly haven't even tested it....

The fact that you have to rely on a specific move in the game (that's based on luck no less) to help you beat a REQUIRED STORY BOSS under a given game mechanic is the stupidest game design decision I've ever seen.

I mean, if you're doing a Level 1 run in any video game, it seems like there's an expectation that you've got to rely on really specific conditions and abilities to do it. You don't play a Souls game at Soul Level 1 without having a very specific plan in mind for what weapons and armor you need and what path you're going to take; same thing here.

(also there are so many game design decisions in DDD alone that are worse than this)

So today I learned something new. It's impossible to beat Young Xehanort at Level 1 without specific Dream Eaters using Spirit Roar on you, which is a purely lucked based ability. Yeah you read that right. IMPOSSIBLE.

Why even bother putting a challenge restriction mechanic into your game when you clearly haven't even tested it....

The fact that you have to rely on a specific move in the game (that's based on luck no less) to help you beat a REQUIRED STORY BOSS under a given game mechanic is the stupidest game design decision I've ever seen.

So are you referring to the Lvl 1 boss fight in the original 3DS version? Or does this apply to the HD version as well? I'm asking this because I know that the Osaka Team might have possibly tweaked Lvl 1 in the HD version of DDD like they did with BBS HD compared to the original PSP version.

It's possible but it requires the only good move in the game and that's any form of the Balloon magic.You'd think I'm only opinionated there, but it's true. Balloon magic is the only high damaging command set that staggers enemies and even defeats some in one hit. In fact people have complained how it's the only useful command for level 1 runs. It's basically poor design choice there.

So are you referring to the Lvl 1 boss fight in the original 3DS version? Or does this apply to the HD version as well? I'm asking this because I know that the Osaka Team might have possibly tweaked Lvl 1 in the HD version of DDD like they did with BBS HD compared to the original PSP version.

Both; DDD Lv1 was not tweaked at all, they're the exact same.

It's possible but it requires the only good move in the game and that's any form of the Balloon magic.You'd think I'm only opinionated there, but it's true. Balloon magic is the only high damaging command set that staggers enemies and even defeats some in one hit. In fact people have complained how it's the only useful command for level 1 runs. It's basically poor design choice there.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm referring to. It is impossible to kill Young Xehanort's clock phase fast enough unless you spam Balloonra/Balloonga coupled with Spirit Roars from your Dream Eaters. Without the Spirit Roars, your damage is absolute trash and it is impossible (literally not even CLOSE) to killing the clock before it rewinds. 

Aka the fight sucks and the game sucks lol

I mean, if you're doing a Level 1 run in any video game, it seems like there's an expectation that you've got to rely on really specific conditions and abilities to do it. You don't play a Souls game at Soul Level 1 without having a very specific plan in mind for what weapons and armor you need and what path you're going to take; same thing here.

(also there are so many game design decisions in DDD alone that are worse than this)

I haven't played a Souls game so I wouldn't know, but doesn't it make it seem super unprofessional and incomplete if a built in game mechanic can stop you from completing the game unless you have very specific abilities? It's pretty clear they didn't even test the mode.

And yeah, there are worse design decisions but this one actually shocked me, because I couldn't believe how careless they were to design a boss to be near impossible. It's really stupid when you think about it.

Edited by thatkingdomheartsguy

I haven't played a Souls game so I wouldn't know, but doesn't it make it seem super unprofessional and incomplete if a built in game mechanic can stop you from completing the game unless you have very specific abilities? It's pretty clear they didn't even test the mode.

And yeah, there are worse design decisions but this one actually shocked me, because I couldn't believe how careless they were to design a boss to be near impossible. It's really stupid when you think about it.

I do agree that it's not very well balanced to have a game built to require a few very specific moves to beat it, but I kind of assumed that was the point of a Level 1 run? It's not something a casual player will do just for the hell of it, it's something only a dedicated hardcore player will attempt, probably after playing through the game a few times. If you're purposely putting a huge handicap on yourself, I think it's expected that the game isn't going to be fair at that point.

I do agree that it's not very well balanced to have a game built to require a few very specific moves to beat it, but I kind of assumed that was the point of a Level 1 run? It's not something a casual player will do just for the hell of it, it's something only a dedicated hardcore player will attempt, probably after playing through the game a few times. If you're purposely putting a huge handicap on yourself, I think it's expected that the game isn't going to be fair at that point.

But that's the thing...it's an in-game mechanic. You can more or less consider Level 1 to be a separate difficulty. It's like saying "choosing the hardest difficulty handicaps you to the point where it's virtually impossible to beat the game." I dunno about you, but something about a design choice like that just doesn't seem right. It makes the game feel incomplete.

And anyways, there's two things we can draw from this. Either 1. Osaka Team straight up did not test their games, or 2. They did test their games and realized Crit LV1 was nigh impossible, so they designed Balloon in conjunction with Spirit Roars on PURPOSE to aid you to beat the game. Both of which are horrendous development decisions. And yeah, I get it's meant for hardcore players but all difficulties should be open to all sorts of players regardless of how "hardcore" you play the game, and when they make a fight revolve solely on a single mechanic that is not even required in-game, it just bothers me a lot.

Both; DDD Lv1 was not tweaked at all, they're the exact same.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm referring to. It is impossible to kill Young Xehanort's clock phase fast enough unless you spam Balloonra/Balloonga coupled with Spirit Roars from your Dream Eaters. Without the Spirit Roars, your damage is absolute trash and it is impossible (literally not even CLOSE) to killing the clock before it rewinds. 

Aka the fight sucks and the game sucks lol

Wow seriously? I thought they would considering they bothered to tweak BBS Lvl 1 in the HD port.