Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Neoshadow99

[Minor Story Spoilers] Sleeping Worlds in Dream Drop Distance

Hey everyone, I have a burning question about how Dream Worlds work in DDD.  This is my first time playing the game, though I did watch a playthrough of the original version years ago.  While I do understand the story to a point, I do not understand how Traverse Town in particular is in a state of sleep.  I do not recall Traverse Town ever succumbing to the darkness.  In fact, isn't it supposed to be a refuge/sanctuary world for people who have been displaced? 

I remember it being stated in KH1 that TT consists of fragments of worlds that were lost to the darkness.  At what point did TT itself become consumed by the Heartless?  If I remember correctly, the Sleeping Worlds were once consumed by darkness, but were subsequently restored by Sora and his friends during their journey.  Gah, this game is already confusing me, and I've only just begun!

If you watch the flashbacks, you'll get it.

Like Yen Sid said some worlds never returned completely. Traverse Town is one of them. Like you said, it never completely succumbed to darkness, so why do we see the parts of the world that were safe? This is explained later in Prankster's Paradise.

A sleeping world is capable of filling the missing gaps. So the First, Second and Third Districts in the TT of DDD aren't real. Just part of the world's dream.

In fact, isn't it supposed to be a refuge/sanctuary world for people who have been displaced? 

You answered your own question. Traverse Town was there in the realm of sleep, so that it can help the TWEWY characters.

Thanks for the replies.  I played through the rest of TT since my opening post, and it made a bit more sense once Joshua explained the mechanics of the "dreamy" TT.  But man, did it get really trippy once Joshua started explaining the alternate versions of the same world that Sora and Riku are experiencing separately.  I mean, since when do dreams have parallel dimensions? :tongue:

On a more serious note, the purpose behind Joshua's Traverse Town was quite tragic, as it was meant to be a "second chance" for the other characters' hearts, who were otherwise lost to the darkness (if I have that right).  Did the fates of the TWEWY cast line up with what actually happened in that game?

Edited by Neoshadow99

Basically Traverse Town shows up for people in need of a world to inhabit when there's is lost. It showed up in the Realm of Sleep because Neku and friends where there and needed a place to go. Well, there's a bit more to it than that, as Joshua explains in game, but essentially it can be simplified to just that. It's like a safe haven that shows up where ever it is convenient.

Huh, I must have forgotten about Traverse Town's "special ability", if you will, to appear anywhere it is needed.  I knew it acted as a refuge for those who lost their home worlds, as explained in KH1.  But, in this case, TT is a creation of Joshua, who seems to be an otherworldy being, with his wings and foreknowledge. 

I will try to find out if I can, but what exactly happened to Joshua and everyone else?  I mean, were their hearts (excluding Joshua's) separated from them and subsequently put in a state of endless sleep, similar to Ventus?  I ask this because Joshua specifically mentions giving his friends a "second chance" in his artificial Traverse Town, implying that something must have happened to them before they entered the Realm of Sleep.  I never did get a chance to play The World Ends With You, so this may be where most of my confusion is coming from.

Thanks for the replies.  I played through the rest of TT since my opening post, and it made a bit more sense once Joshua explained the mechanics of the "dreamy" TT.  But man, did it get really trippy once Joshua started explaining the alternate versions of the same world that Sora and Riku are experiencing separately.  I mean, since when do dreams have parallel dimensions? :tongue:

On a more serious note, the purpose behind Joshua's Traverse Town was quite tragic, as it was meant to be a "second chance" for the other characters' hearts, who were otherwise lost to the darkness (if I have that right).  Did the fates of the TWEWY cast line up with what actually happened in that game?

The thing about Sora and Riku experiencing different TTs is actually a foreshadowing. You'll find out later in the game what it means.

Huh, I must have forgotten about Traverse Town's "special ability", if you will, to appear anywhere it is needed.  I knew it acted as a refuge for those who lost their home worlds, as explained in KH1.  But, in this case, TT is a creation of Joshua, who seems to be an otherworldy being, with his wings and foreknowledge. 

I will try to find out if I can, but what exactly happened to Joshua and everyone else?  I mean, were their hearts (excluding Joshua's) separated from them and subsequently put in a state of endless sleep, similar to Ventus?  I ask this because Joshua specifically mentions giving his friends a "second chance" in his artificial Traverse Town, implying that something must have happened to them before they entered the Realm of Sleep.  I never did get a chance to play The World Ends With You, so this may be where most of my confusion is coming from.

Other than the Reaper's Game plot, it has almost nothing to do with TWEWY. Unless this certain lore of the game is considered here as well, which I won't reveal for spoiler reasons, unless you want me to. I'm guessing that Shibuya was plunged into darkness and the only way Joshua could save them is through what he did.

If you wanna play TWEWY, play the Solo Remix on iOS and Android. It's more or less the same game. Same story so you won't miss anything.

The thing about Sora and Riku experiencing different TTs is actually a foreshadowing. You'll find out later in the game what it means.

Other than the Reaper's Game plot, it has almost nothing to do with TWEWY. Unless this certain lore of the game is considered here as well, which I won't reveal for spoiler reasons, unless you want me to. I'm guessing that Shibuya was plunged into darkness and the only way Joshua could save them is through what he did.

If you wanna play TWEWY, play the Solo Remix on iOS and Android. It's more or less the same game. Same story so you won't miss anything.

Thanks for the clarification.  You can tell me what happens if you want to, as I probably will not get around to playing TWEWY any time soon. I already have a large enough backlog of games as it is, on PS4 and PS3, even a single game on PS2 :lol:

I did watch a Let's Play (with commentary) of KH3D when it first released, and the overall story sort of made sense, minus certain details.  It was just so different from the other games' plots that it took me by surprise.