Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Kokoado

[Gameplay] Your 0.2 Gameplay analysis ?

Hello everyone.

A I didn't had the chance to play 0.2 yet (I will in February), but as I was searching for gameplay reviews on the internet, I only ended up on either "Lol graphics so stuning 5/7" or complains. Those complains makes me waver about KH3, naturally (Osaka team, pls). As a KH2FM critical lv1 lover, I'm pretty concerned about the gameplay and I would like to have a feedback about it.

So I'm creating this thread for people to make their review/critique of 0.2 gameplay (and gameplay only) and maybe discuss about what is good and what is bad, without spoiling the story, of course.

Hello everyone.

A I didn't had the chance to play 0.2 yet (I will in February), but as I was searching for gameplay reviews on the internet, I only ended up on either "Lol graphics so stuning 5/7" or complains. Those complains makes me waver about KH3, naturally (Osaka team, pls). As a KH2FM critical lv1 lover, I'm pretty concerned about the gameplay and I would like to have a feedback about it.

So I'm creating this thread for people to make their review/critique of 0.2 gameplay (and gameplay only) and maybe discuss about what is good and what is bad, without spoiling the story, of course.

I beat the game last night for the first time on standard. I will be doing a proud and critical and exp zero run when I feel like it, but from the 3 hrs it took me the gameplay was really great. I went in trying to find a broken command (DDD had balloon, BBS had OP shotlocks, OP command styles and a lot of things were way too OP) and I didn't find anything concerning. The 'aja' spells were very powerful but they are meant to be, take Aqua's level into consideration too. I will say that command styles and the situation commands should appear less often or come at a higher cost (I don't think they take away any MP which is bad).

KH3 however has got

Shotlocks

Drive forms

Advanced magic

Keyblade transformations

Summons

Limit breaks 

Situation commands

Flowmotion

Attraction flow rides

And possibly some other things we may not know about. If for example Shotlocks are extremely OP then everything else on that long list is put to waste. In 0.2 the shotlocks have been nerfed dramatically which is good. The bosses on the standard run felt fine but most people have told me on higher difficulties they are super difficult. I categorise difficulty into two types 

Cheap difficulty-Mysterious Figure from BBS. It takes no skill, just a long time

Real difficulty-Lingering Will, Sephiroth. You have to learn attack patterns and it feels so rewarding when you do defeat them.

I have high hopes for KH3 from playing 0.2! It's going to be great

I want to make a review of the gameplay, but if SE is actually listening and are making patches then I'll wait until the game is a bit older. But i'll say that since this new patch came out I'm a looooot more helpful and excited for 3. The devil's wave is still pretty bad.

Edited by Kingdomhe

Just watch Bizkit047's video, he pretty much sums it up. The recent update improved on some stuff too. It seems like it is going into the right direction and I cant wait to see what they have for us in the next KH3 trailer to see how they may have improved. Its by no means as tight as 2FM, its still very floaty, but responsive enough to make fun. It could really be due to aquas fighting style, it really feels like they took KH2 and slapped BBS onto it, its as much a hybrid as you could imagine, its scary. The only major thing that still bugs me is the movement/platforming. Its really unresponsive, eats many inputs, doesnt always exactly do what you want. In 2FM you could seemlessly jump, air dodge into a glide, in this its more like jump-jump-air slide, which the air slide is so stupid it has a strict length and your falling is almost uncontrollable after you executed it. There is a secret boss that is really reminiscent of lingering will, stagger, revenge value, hard to dodge dm, but very fair and rewarding to learn as a fight, its already far better than every handheld KH there has ever been. Dont worry, it wont suck.

Just watch Bizkit047's video, he pretty much sums it up. The recent update improved on some stuff too. It seems like it is going into the right direction and I cant wait to see what they have for us in the next KH3 trailer to see how they may have improved. Its by no means as tight as 2FM, its still very floaty, but responsive enough to make fun. It could really be due to aquas fighting style, it really feels like they took KH2 and slapped BBS onto it, its as much a hybrid as you could imagine, its scary. The only major thing that still bugs me is the movement/platforming. Its really unresponsive, eats many inputs, doesnt always exactly do what you want. In 2FM you could seemlessly jump, air dodge into a glide, in this its more like jump-jump-air slide, which the air slide is so stupid it has a strict length and your falling is almost uncontrollable after you executed it. There is a secret boss that is really reminiscent of lingering will, stagger, revenge value, hard to dodge dm, but very fair and rewarding to learn as a fight, its already far better than every handheld KH there has ever been. Dont worry, it wont suck.

He made one.  ? Well, here I go !

I want to make a review of the gameplay, but if SE is actually listening and are making patches then I'll wait until the game is a bit older. But i'll say that since this new patch came out I'm a looooot more helpful and excited for 3. The devil's wave is still pretty bad. 

You should make a first review exactly to help SE making new patches

There's been two types of movement in KH-games. One is the KH2-type where you can move really well and Sora's really responsive to your inputs and you can seemlessly go from Aerial Dodge to Glide to Magic.

Then the other's the KH1, KHBBS, KHRe:CoM, KHRe:Coded, KHDays, KH0.2 -type where you have cooldown times to every single action you make. Double Fligh? You can't attack straight away. Air Dash? You can't go to Glide smoothly.

(KHDDD is a mixture of both. The normal movement is KH1-type, but flowmotion is KH2-type. It's so good and feels great to move from point a to point b.)

0.2 didn't have this smooth movement at all. It feels like no-one can do it the way it was in KH2, but still they try to and it's a mess every time.

Now that we know Flowmotion is going to return in KH3, I'm sure we will have smoother movements, just like we did in KHDDD (just make Sora's normal, not-flowmotion movement to be as smooth please)

The magics were overpowered, but only to a degree. Some enemies were immune, some just had a good resistance to certain elements. You couldn't just spam Thundaga/Thundaja and kill everyone, you had to time your magics and use different spells and usually just hit the enemies in order to get the -ja to appear. In Critical (especially Lvl50), this was pretty scary.

After the 1.02 patch the game's become more balanced. The only problem I still have is the Final Boss's DM. You just can't survive without taking any damage. Other than that, people are just exaggerating, in my opinion. The mob fights are good, bosses feel intimidating, and you have to rely on different strats to kill them. Demon Tower glows red? Drop your combo, back away and use magic. No more MP? Shotlock, or wait for Demon Tower to stop attacking and go do a combo or two.

The other thing people didn't like in this game was the platforming. I feel like it exists purely because of Aqua's movement. Take KH2 Sora with Growth Abilities Maxed and suddenly the platforming feels good. I think. I didn't really have a problem with the platforming. I knew what I was getting into. It's just like BbS's movement, but a bit better.

I have yet to play BBS 0.2, but definitely appreciate the given tips and advice for its gameplay.  It looks great, especially since I'm coming off of a BBS marathon.  If 0.2 is really like a merger of KH2 and BBS gameplay, I bet it will handle quite well overall.  I hope to start playing this week, mainly depending on how far I get in DDD, as I originally wanted to finish that first.