Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
TheWayToDawn

Study help?

Hey guys! How are ya doing?

Alright so let me just jump right into it... I have this goal to take my GED and pass before this month is over (which I no longer believe is possible anymore) and for those of you who don't know what a GED is, it's like a High School Diploma. Kinda the best way to explain it. But anyway, obviously in order for me to receive this I need to take a test which I will be tested in English, Math, History and Science and have to pass in order to get it.

But there's a problem... I'm not studying. Every time I try to pick up the book to study I just don't want to do it. I don't know why, but I can never just find time or just the will to study. All I need to study is math now (which isn't my strongest subject in the world,) but that's all I need to study. Yet I'm not doing it. I don't know what to do. And to make it worse, every time I think of taking the test I just shake and want to cry. I just stumble over my words and I don't know. I'm just petrified.

Guys, I'm legit about to give up. I don't know what to do. I can't will myself to study, no matter how hard I try. I have a deadline that's now near to impossible to make. I just need help. Maybe tips?? I don't know. Anything will help at this point, thank you guys~~~~ <3

I had this problem my second semester of college. I had to literally completely shut off my phone and laptop and just get on a school computer on the quiet floor of the library. I'd recommend going to a nearby library or completely turning off all technology in your house then studying. Honestly, getting started is the hardest part. If you can focus for 5-10 minutes then it'll get the ball rolling and you'll be able to knock it out no problem.

Since you said you have a book to study from you could also go to a park or sit right outside your house on a porch or something if you have one. That separates you from any distractions.

I took the GED test years ago and it's really not that bad.  The study guides make you think that it's going to be a lot harder than you expect.  The reading and writing portions of the test are quite easy, and I think you'll do okay with the science so long as you use common sense (in other words it's not very scientific; so long as you take the time to read through the questions you can probably guess the answer).  The hardest part for me was the math section, but back then I was terrible at math and my algebra skills were rather weak.  A lot of the questions should be simple multiplication, division and fractions, though there will be a few algebraic problems.  If you're familiar with graphs you will probably do fine; that was the trickiest for me at the time.

I don't know if you know much about the test, but the answers are all multiple choice.  They give you cards to shade in the bubble of the correct answer (a, b, c, or d), and it's really not too complex.  The written portion of the test is short, where they will have you write like a page of a pre-given topic (like describe one of your goals in life, or something like that, and they really aren't very picky).  It is a timed test, but they give you a very generous amount of time to get it all done.  Even if you don't get to answer a couple of questions don't sweat it.  I think you only require a 60 or 70 in most areas in order to get your GED, and if the majority of areas are high enough they'll give it to you even if you get a lower score in some areas (I didn't pass math but I got 85 and 90s in the other portion of my GED, so they granted it to me anyway).  After a couple hours of testing they will give you a lunch break, which is nice to regather your bearings and calm down before the next sections.  Math was the last topic we covered where I took the test, but I don't know if it'll be the same for every location.

I was so anxious and worried about the test before I took it, too, but overall it was all for nothing because it was so much easier than I had anticipated.  I know that you'll do great!  Just try to relax and tell yourself the results will be fine, and try not to stress about over-studying in preparation.  If you can get yourself to work on a little bit of math everyday that will really pay off, but I would really only worry about the algebra basics and not too much more of the complex stuff.  I think there were a few areas and parameters in there, but I don't think I saw any trig.

Good luck!  You can do it. :)

I had this problem my second semester of college. I had to literally completely shut off my phone and laptop and just get on a school computer on the quiet floor of the library. I'd recommend going to a nearby library or completely turning off all technology in your house then studying. Honestly, getting started is the hardest part. If you can focus for 5-10 minutes then it'll get the ball rolling and you'll be able to knock it out no problem.

Since you said you have a book to study from you could also go to a park or sit right outside your house on a porch or something if you have one. That separates you from any distractions.

Yeah, I may try sitting outside. It's where I can seem to focus more. Thanks for the suggestions, it's really helping! :)

I took the GED test years ago and it's really not that bad.  The study guides make you think that it's going to be a lot harder than you expect.  The reading and writing portions of the test are quite easy, and I think you'll do okay with the science so long as you use common sense (in other words it's not very scientific; so long as you take the time to read through the questions you can probably guess the answer).  The hardest part for me was the math section, but back then I was terrible at math and my algebra skills were rather weak.  A lot of the questions should be simple multiplication, division and fractions, though there will be a few algebraic problems.  If you're familiar with graphs you will probably do fine; that was the trickiest for me at the time.

I don't know if you know much about the test, but the answers are all multiple choice.  They give you cards to shade in the bubble of the correct answer (a, b, c, or d), and it's really not too complex.  The written portion of the test is short, where they will have you write like a page of a pre-given topic (like describe one of your goals in life, or something like that, and they really aren't very picky).  It is a timed test, but they give you a very generous amount of time to get it all done.  Even if you don't get to answer a couple of questions don't sweat it.  I think you only require a 60 or 70 in most areas in order to get your GED, and if the majority of areas are high enough they'll give it to you even if you get a lower score in some areas (I didn't pass math but I got 85 and 90s in the other portion of my GED, so they granted it to me anyway).  After a couple hours of testing they will give you a lunch break, which is nice to regather your bearings and calm down before the next sections.  Math was the last topic we covered where I took the test, but I don't know if it'll be the same for every location.

I was so anxious and worried about the test before I took it, too, but overall it was all for nothing because it was so much easier than I had anticipated.  I know that you'll do great!  Just try to relax and tell yourself the results will be fine, and try not to stress about over-studying in preparation.  If you can get yourself to work on a little bit of math everyday that will really pay off, but I would really only worry about the algebra basics and not too much more of the complex stuff.  I think there were a few areas and parameters in there, but I don't think I saw any trig.

Good luck!  You can do it. :)

Thank you so much for all this information (and your time writing that whole thing). It's really helped relieve some of my stress. All I'm looking for is a pass, even if I barely make it by a point haha. But seriously, thanks again. I'm gonna try to get myself to study a little bit soon, maybe it'll help me alleviate some stress to make me feel more prepared? Idk. Even though I don't wanna study, I gotta do what I need to do.