Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

A few years ago I finished playing KH 1.5 as part of a bet I made with a friend. My friend was a huge KH fan and mentioned how excited he was for it and how great it was many times, spawning arguments between us both. Finally we decided that the only way to settle the score was for me to actually play the game, start to finish with an open mind, and find out if the game really was garbage.

Turns out I was right! At least, my anticipation of how much I would hate the game was. I played through both games on 1.5 and even watched the cutscene marathon, and although I found parts of the GBA remake more enjoyable than the original, I still found both the games to be subpar. I also made a video on youtube (https://youtu.be/YAZbbHpJ8DI) that was a cut down version of the entire final boss fight, which originally took me around 3 hours. It's garnered some hate from KH fans.

The point of this thread however is not to take a dump on your game. I just want to know: when you see a guy like me that thinks KH is deplorable, do you assume I just have no taste in videogames? Do you hate me? Or do you think there's merit to not liking some or certain aspects of the game? I've not seen such a reaction from any other game I've hated and that's bizarre.

Edit:

This conversation has gone into too many different directions for me to really explore in a reasonable timeframe, so I'm going to reign it in a bit.

• I came to this thread to find out if the whole KH community acted like the people who reacted to my youtube video and my Twitch playthrough of KH 1.5. That theory was false, so hooray!
  • There are people here who think I'm complaining about my video being disliked. That's also false.
You can like or dislike my opinion about Kingdom Hearts 1, and you can think my video is overly "negative", implying that negative somehow equals bad, or that I should accept that people will shit on the video because it's also shitting on someone's beloved video game. What I'd like to know, however, is if people here think the general reaction to a video like this is normal for the typical community and if the answer to that question is "no", I want to know what it is about Kingdom Hearts in particular generates this kind of extreme response in Kingdom Hearts fans. If anyone here thinks unfavorably of Kingdom Hearts 1 but still loves the game, I'd like to hear why.

Edited by gabrahamsandwich

Nah man, I get it. This series is not for everybody, at ALL.

I love it, but there are some genuinely irritating things about it. The storyline is almost irretrievably screwed up, and I'm absolutely convinced Nomura is just making it up as he goes along. I honestly just want KHIII to make some sense out of it and go back to the roots. 

A few years ago I finished playing KH 1.5 as part of a bet I made with a friend. My friend was a huge KH fan and mentioned how excited he was for it and how great it was many times, spawning arguments between us both. Finally we decided that the only way to settle the score was for me to actually play the game, start to finish with an open mind, and find out if the game really was garbage.

Turns out I was right! At least, my anticipation of how much I would hate the game was. I played through both games on 1.5 and even watched the cutscene marathon, and although I found parts of the GBA remake more enjoyable than the original, I still found both the games to be subpar. I also made a video on youtube (https://youtu.be/YAZbbHpJ8DI) that was a cut down version of the entire final boss fight, which originally took me around 3 hours. It's garnered some hate from KH fans.

The point of this thread however is not to take a dump on your game. I just want to know: when you see a guy like me that thinks KH is deplorable, do you assume I just have no taste in videogames? Do you hate me? Or do you think there's merit to not liking some or certain aspects of the game? I've not seen such a reaction from any other game I've hated and that's bizarre.

You hate KH1? Boy this is as good as it gets. KH2 is pretty amazing but only if you play it on a certain difficulty level. Everything after KH2 is a big steaming pile of BLEH in terms of story and combat (358/2 days has a good story though).

You haven't seen anything yet, play BBS, DDD and the Chi series. KH1 is as good as it gets, that's my favourite game of all time.

The KH3 demo that came out last month aka 0.2 BBS is pretty good in terms of combat but it's still a 3 hour demo.

Edited by The 13th Kenpachi

I think it's fair that you have your own opinion about the KH games. I like them all, to some level, but that doesn't mean that the games don't have flaws. Like Rhiscx said, the story at this point is all over the place, hard to understand even.

I like the games, but I also don't like a few things about all of them.

It's fine you don't like it. You're probably one of many. Why do you ask?

Just because a lot of people have started arguments with me about it simply because I disagreed with them since I had openly ridiculed the game. I wanted to see what the community as a whole thought since all I've gotten to see is the worst it has to offer.

Just because a lot of people have started arguments with me about it simply because I disagreed with them since I had openly ridiculed the game. I wanted to see what the community as a whole thought since all I've gotten to see is the worst it has to offer.

Lol, I wouldn't worry about those people. You get these kinds of idiots in every community and the KH fanbase is no exception. There's nothing wrong with hating something. Not everyone is going to like it. The KH community is one of the worst though, they're really salty and cancerous. The people here are fine though, not like those you meet on other sites. Even if you hate it, it doesn't matter. You gave the series a chance.

Lol, I wouldn't worry about those people. You get these kinds of idiots in every community and the KH fanbase is no exception. There's nothing wrong with hating something. Not everyone is going to like it. The KH community is one of the worst though, they're really salty and cancerous. The people here are fine though, not like those you meet on other sites. Even if you hate it, it doesn't matter. You gave the series a chance.

Actually, as part of the bet we made, we decided to extend it and he had me play his favorite KH game: DDD. I have it on 3DS. So far it's not that bad, I just find the motivation to continue on storywise a bit bland at the part of the game I'm on. We'll see if I hate this one too!

Hey. If you don't like Kingdom Hearts, you don't like Kingdom Hearts. That's on you to give up playing. And no one, (I MEAN) no one should get upset over your judgement.

Yeah a lot of fans would just jump on you, and say stuff. But that's just them. My brother, I think he stopped playing Kingdom Hearts was because of waiting so long for Kingdom Hearts 3 and how the whole story was told. I keep trying to tell him what's going on with Kingdom Hearts 3, but he seemed not to care of the things I said. He did understand the fact of them hiring folks. Even one guy at some KH/FF Facebook group said that his interest in Kingdom Hearts 3 is dying. And he's sick of waiting, "What about Sora? He's the MAIN CHARACTER", and said that there wasn't any development in the story. Even calling the in-between games "side games". But me and other folks told him that it's important to play the in-between titles just to understand the story. But he's thinking that the series is suppose to be all about Sora and I think Riku too. He even thought that Kingdom Hearts 3 was suppose to be made and released during the PS2 era. But I've learned something, after the whole word brawling. If someone wants to give up the series, demand KH3 at a social media website, and other things I can think of, just leave them alone. No matter how much people would throw their opinions in your face or anybody's face. Just leave them alone.

Going back to you, that's fine that you hate it. And it's also fine that you would throw your two cents in why you hate it. As a Kingdom Hearts fan that want's to continue on loving it, I won't even get upset with you. That's on you.

To be honest I've said it before but Kingdom Hearts is really a hit and miss series if you dislike KH1 I'd just argue to drop the series then and there. Most would argue go play KH2 go play KH2 tbh to get any real difficulty or fun out of the combat there you gotta play on critical and that can be more trouble than it's actually worth it can just plain annoy you at times.

Honestly I watched your whole video and I can see where your coming from this series isn't for everyone but unlike certain people who'd just not even try the series you did and played it all the way to it's ending so you've formed your opinion and honestly it won't change with any of the games.

As for the idiots being well idiots ignore em as someone who likes SAO and I see people openly hating on people who just dislike the series entirely or criticize it I just openly ignore the idiots who shout about how much it's the best or f**k you if you don't validate their opinion on something.

EDIT: If you like DDD's gameplay you'll prolly like Birth By Sleeps which has a similar combat system and KH2 has something akin to KH1's but overall a lot better. If your sticking to the series for gameplay you'd be one of the first I've seen actually.

Edited by TheKeyofRose

Believe me, here on KH13, such behavior is against site rules. The mods here are great and they make sure to keep things humane.

Going back to you, that's fine that you hate it. And it's also fine that you would throw your two cents in why you hate it. As a Kingdom Hearts fan that want's to continue on loving it, I won't even get upset with you. That's on you.

You really shouldn't get upset with me for criticizing something anyways. It's not an attack on your personality to hate something you like, it's just an exchange of ideas on what makes a game good or bad.

Hey, if you want to hate-play a video game, more power to you. I've got better things to do than to hate-watch the video you make about it, though =P.

Don't hate-watch it, just watch it! It's funny. At one point I go on a rant about how there's no instruction booklet in the case, and I also get so pissed off at dying and teleporting back to the first phase of the boss that I had to take a break. You can visibly see the serenity I feel when I finally kill Ansem.

If you like DDD's gameplay you'll prolly like Birth By Sleeps which has a similar combat system and KH2 has something akin to KH1's but overall a lot better. If your sticking to the series for gameplay you'd be one of the first I've seen actually.

I might check it out, assuming I survive DDD. There were a lot of things I hated about KH1's battle system, but it was mainly that it was clunky and unresponsive, or faulty, but I think later games may have fixed that. Even my friend complained about stuff like the camera.

You really shouldn't get upset with me for criticizing something anyways. It's not an attack on your personality to hate something you like, it's just an exchange of ideas on what makes a game good or bad.

Don't hate-watch it, just watch it! It's funny. At one point I go on a rant about how there's no instruction booklet in the case, and I also get so pissed off at dying and teleporting back to the first phase of the boss that I had to take a break. You can visibly see the serenity I feel when I finally kill Ansem.

I might check it out, assuming I survive DDD. There were a lot of things I hated about KH1's battle system, but it was mainly that it was clunky and unresponsive, or faulty, but I think later games may have fixed that. Even my friend complained about stuff like the camera.

That's why I said I wouldn't be. That's on you.

Everyone has different opinions and interests, you are no exception.

The people who jump down your throat for not liking Kingdom Hearts are some of the worst this fanbase has to offer, we're not all like that. Do what you want and like what you like I say, but keep an open mind, as you seem to have so far. :)

That's okay not everyone loves the same thing. I just find it weird that you don't like Kingdom Hearts and yet you have an KH13 account just to explain why you don't the game or the series. Don't worry everyone has different opinions and they can express them if they want. I love the Kingdom Hearts series and it's one of my favorite video game series and I don't care if people hate them, dump them, or whatever. It's not a big deal.

Everyone has different opinions and interests, you are no exception.

The people who jump down your throat for not liking Kingdom Hearts are some of the worst this fanbase has to offer, we're not all like that. Do what you want and like what you like I say, but keep an open mind, as you seem to have so far. :)

A lot of people like to, despite that I played the entire game, criticize me for just automatically not liking it. I sank like 80 hours into that game, you would think I would have enjoyed it if I were capable.

That's okay not everyone loves the same thing. I just find it weird that you don't like Kingdom Hearts and yet you have an KH13 account just to explain why you don't the game or the series. Don't worry everyone has different opinions and they can express them if they want. I love the Kingdom Hearts series and it's one of my favorite video game series and I don't care if people hate them, dump them, or whatever. It's not a big deal.

I just figured I'd see if the entire KH community was like the kinds of people who comment on that youtube video. Glad to see that you guys as a whole aren't supremely offended when people don't like the game!

Kh does have its flaws, and its story is insane, so I understand why people don't like it or can't get into it. But c'mon now, you can't make a video like that and not expect it to get the negativity that it's gotten

In all honesty, I'm glad that it's not your cup of tea. I myself have grown out of a phase of complete love of the series, and now, it's an average RPG series that isn't living up to its own potential.

Nah man, I get it. This series is not for everybody, at ALL.

I love it, but there are some genuinely irritating things about it. The storyline is almost irretrievably screwed up, and I'm absolutely convinced Nomura is just making it up as he goes along. I honestly just want KHIII to make some sense out of it and go back to the roots. 

This guy knows what's up!

I just figured I'd see if the entire KH community was like the kinds of people who comment on that youtube video. Glad to see that you guys as a whole aren't supremely offended when people don't like the game!

It's cool man. People want to criticize something over the littlest thing and it's pretty much immature of them. I know the feeling but in time it will be a thing in the past. :)

Kh does have its flaws, and its story is insane, so I understand why people don't like it or can't get into it. But c'mon now, you can't make a video like that and not expect it to get the negativity that it's gotten

Honestly I don't think I would have picked up Kingdom Hearts if it's story wasn't as insane as it is, it really keeps my interest, but I understand some people want more simpler stories and that's fine.

I can see people not liking the series, that's completely fine and good on you for sticking with your guns. It is a hard concept to pull off, Disney + Square Enix. Truth be told, most people assumed that the concept would be garbage until the first game came out and defied all expectations.

Consider how you act in the video It's no surprise the hate, you should be careful how you say the things, you act a bit unprofessional imo, I don't know if it was a part of the show or sarcasm but was kinda rude for a game that was came out more than 15 years ago, I respect your opinion, Kingdom Hearts 1 is far from perfect but it's still love it for some people, if you are a youtuber and don't want dislikes, you can say that a game su-ck but with different words that don't make you look like a hater and more like a professional reviewer.

Edited by Terranort9406