Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Mystics Apprentice

Roleplay Partners in Absence RP (1x1 with Veemon)

The sun had freshly risen, and already was adorning the city with its rays.  These rays managed to infiltrate even the heavy draperies of Alvin's office on the second floor, casting a beam of light over his shoulder and onto the desk in front of him.  The brunet was not at the desk like a normal person; no, he was standing over it.  A donut was in one hand and a stapler in another.  Occasionally Alvin paused in his reading to take a large bit of the sprinkled donut, though the majority of his attention rested on the papers before him.  He spread them out evenly, frowning deeply before spinning on heel and opening the file cabinet behind him.

For several moments he frantically searched the drawer, rainbow sprinkles and flecks of chocolate icing raining down on its contents.  Finally he withdrew a manila envelope from within, though growled in frustration as he threw it down on the desk.  "Of course, of all days I just manage to run out of stamps," he murmured under his breath.  These papers were meant to go out last Friday but, of course, Alvin being Alvin forgot.  He just hoped that the boss lady wouldn't find out that he missed an important deadline, or, if she did, he'd prayed with all his might that she wouldn't be angry with him.

He neatly stacked his papers before sliding them into the envelope, licking it shut and slapping a return address sticker with his name on it.  Finishing the remains of his donut the brunet rose, tucking the envelope under his arm casually as he slipped out of his office.  He'd just make a sweet trip to the post office, hopefully before his boss noticed that he was gone.  For some reason he felt that today was supposed to be special and something new was happening, but he couldn't recall what that could be for the life of him.  He shook his head, disregarding the thought just as quickly as it infiltrated his mind.

There was a warm sensation in the air as Veemon opened the front door of his apartment, getting ready to leave for his first day on his new job: a detective. He had just changed out the battery for his Misfit Flash, and so it should be at full charge for the day, hoping it will last for the next week or two. " *inhales deeply* Ahh... Maybe things are gonna look up again, today..." Veemon said to himself, with a small red and black bookbag on his back, feeling super light. In his bag he had a small, professional-looking notebook, his phone, and, of course, his wallet. As a small Digimon with a tail and all sorts, he did not have the body type to wear clothing, let alone ones with pockets, so all he could do to help it was a bookbag that fits his size.

Veemon had now left the apartment, closing the door and heading to the stairs. This apartment building was interesting because the hallways were not inside, but interconnected around the outside, so you could see outside and to the streets and other buildings. Veemon's apartment was on the fifth floor, so he had a long way to walk. Luckily, the building was never too crowded, so he could head downstairs uninterrupted. As he was leaving the front doors, he quickly waved to the receptionist lady at the desk. "Hey there! I'm finally heading to my new job! Wish me luck!" Veemon said as he opened the doors.

She waved back in a young teen girl fashion. "Okay, see you later, Veemon! And good luck!" She cheered to Veemon as she was waving back.

Veemon left the building, and heading down the street, towards the Detective Agency. Surprising enough, it was on the same street and on the same side as his apartment building. As he was walking, he saw a man walking out of a building a few blocks down. He was carrying some kind of envelope. He looked like he was in a hurry. I wonder what he's doing, Veemon thought to himself. He shrugged his shoulders and continued walking. It turned out that the detective agency was the exact same building that the man came out of. "Huh... That's weird..." He said to himself, taking a good look at the building before walking up the stairs.

Veemon looked in slowly, making sure it was the place. He saw a few desks, as well as a coffee machine and many stacks of important-looking folders and files. "This must be it..." He opened the door fully, and walked into the office. "Hello? Anyone here? I'm here for the detective job application." He looked around, seeing nobody. There was a pretty decent amount of lighting in the office, even just from the windows.

Suddenly, a voice came from behind Veemon. "Oh, you must be the one I discussed with on the phone." As Veemon turned around, he saw a tall figure. It was a woman with blonde hair and hot pink sunglasses. "Kyoko. Kyoko Kuremi. I will be your boss from now on. Pleased to make your acquaintance." Kyoko walked towards Veemon and held out her hand.

Veemon was a bit startled and confused, but accepted her handshake. "Uhh... Yes, I am Veemon. Pleased to meet you, too." They both walked towards Kyoko's desk, the largest one in the back, with a computer and a deep black chair. "So... What's my first task?" Veemon asked, before Kyoko then interrupted him.

She sat down in her chair, with her hands held together on top of the desk. "I shall get to that. But first we must wait for Alvin to arrive. He needs to know about this as well," she said in a calm, yet serious tone. "He never seemed to be this late before. But I suppose that's like him, of course."

Thankfully Alvin's trip to the post office was relatively uneventful and unnoticed.  He managed to casually chat up the clerk about the wonderful weather and how tasty Krispy Kreme donuts were as she slipped a postage sticker on his envelope.  The tall man was in and out in a flash, and soon he found himself strolling back down the cheerful cobblestone streets of town, nodding and smiling to a few passersby as he went.

The front door's bell chimed as Alvin stepped foot into the agency, announcing his arrival, much to his annoyance.  Sometimes he really desired to silence the bell, because it drew far more attention to himself than he'd wished.  The secretary at the front desk smiled politely as he brushed past, holding up some papers as she called out, "Hey, Alvin of the Chipmunks, I have something for you."

He closed his eyes painfully before turning around to steal a glance at her.  He'd hated that name, but this secretary ever so adored it.  "For the last time please stop referring to me as a chipmunk," he pleaded in his most convincing voice, snatching the outstretched papers and tucking them under his arm without so much as a glance.  "You haven't even seen me at the dinner table yet."

The secretary raised a bemused brow.  "Which I suppose would only affirm my claim?"

"Ha ha," Alvin responded, hardly amused.  He waved a hand over his head as he exited down the hall to find his boss.  "Later!"

He quickly rapped his knuckles on Kyoko's door before granting himself entrance.  "Hey, I've brought you a present."  He placed the secretary's papers on Kyoko's desk, a wide smile stretching his lips fine.  "Dunno what it is, exactly.  Looks kind of like a claim or something.  Anywho, thought you would enjoy."

It was then that he noticed another individual in the room, one that he'd certainly never seen in the office before.  Strange; was he a client?  It was very rare indeed that clients would enter the building, but nothing was impossible.  He cocked a brow, giving Veemon a thorough glance.  "I don't think I've seen you around here before.  Do you have a case that we can help you with?"

As Alvin was walking into the room with Veemon Kyoko, Kyoko was passing a cup of coffee to Veemon. She then looked up and towards Alvin, "Ah, well speak of the devil." She said to Veemon. She then took the papers from Alvin. "Hmhm, thank you, chipmunk." She teased, as she was in on the joke with the secretary. Kyoko then placed the papers on her desk, and sat down once more. "Alvin, meet Veemon. He is going to be your new partner on the job."

Veemon turned around to see Alvin. He was the man that he saw rush out of the building earlier. "Partner?" Veemon said, a little concerned, but understands her reasoning. "Hi, I'm Veemon. Nice to meet you, Alvin!" He said towards Alvin, nodding his head.

"Oh, great, so now she's got you doing it, too?"  Alvin rubbed the back of his neck, leaning against the wall near the doorframe.  "Some things are just never going to leave me.  Wish my mama thought of that before naming me."

At last the brunet straightened, closing the door to Kyoko's office and making his way over to their new recruit.  "Well, it's great to meet you, Veemon," said Alvin, extending a hand to shake his new partner's.  "I must say that this is the first time I've ever worked with a partner on the job, so this will be interesting.  I'm a chillax kind of guy, so I'm sure that we'll get along great."  So long as he doesn't call me a chipmunk, too, Alvin thought to himself, though he left that last bit off as he met Veemon's hazel gaze, smile wide and showing off a line of straight pearly teeth.

He straightened, placing a hand on the back of Veemon's chair.  "So, Kyoko, given him the grand tour yet?  I could do the honors, and maybe if you're ever so lucky I might be able to spare a donut for you on our way back.  You like donuts, Veemon?"

Veemon was looking at Alvin's hand as he held it out. He then looked up at Alvin's eyes. With a smile and a positive attitude, he accepted Alvin's handshake. "I, uh, hope we get along, too!" Veemon agreed, having a hard time not wagging his blue, zigzag tail in excitement. After their handshake, Veemon turned back to Kyoko as Alvin was suggesting that he should give him a tour.

Kyoko smiled, for she liked the idea of giving a tour. "Well that sounds like a good idea. Best to give our new recruit a good idea of the workplace and what's around it. In that case, I leave it to you, Alvin." She said, taking a gulp of her coffee. "Be sure to report back when you're done. There are still some things we must discuss."

Veemon like the idea as well, in fact, he would feel much more welcomed that way. "Okay, then. Alright partner, lemme just finish-" Veemon told Alvin, but started drinking the coffee Kyoko gave him. He tasted something... odd. The coffee had a strange 'warm lettuce' taste to it... Veemon didn't know what it was, but it was one of Kyoko's 'specialty blends', with a hint of seaweed. "Uhh... Actually... I think I'm gonna... let it sit." Veemon said, with a slightly disturbing taste left in his mouth. He put the cup of coffee down on the end of Kyoko's desk. "I could go for a donut..." Veemon got up and readjusted his backpack on his shoulders. "Alright, lead the way, Mr. Alvin."

"See you, you two. And Chipmunk, don't dilly dally chatting with your lady friends. Work comes first." Kyoko teased Alvin, again.

Veemon didn't find it all that funny, nor did he get the joke. Still, it seemed like Alvin got picked on quite a bit there. He was considering asking Alvin about it, but he wasn't sure when it would be a good time to do so. Before they left, Veemon looked on his Misfit Flash to check the time. There were two glowing dots that appeared, showing his activity progress, then it showed an 'approximate' time, which was about 8:35 AM. He assumed they would be back by around 9:30, maybe earlier.

As the partners shook hands Alvin's eyes flicked over toward Veemon's tail, half-grinning as he noticed some jerky movement as though Veemon was trying to refrain his tail from wagging. "Right, well let's hop to it, then!"  He clasped his hands together and offered Kyoko a nod.  "I promise you that we'll report back when we're through, Boss Lady, though no guarantees on how long it might take.  You know I still get lost in here."

He laughed, turning on heel and strolling to the office door.  He snatched it open and held it for Veemon.  "After you, Partner."

The tour would indeed last a while, but perhaps not as long as Alvin had made it sound.  Alvin pointed toward the end of the hall.  "As you might've noticed from the outside, this is a tall and narrow building.  We've got five floors, but each floor is really only large enough to hold two offices," he explained, moving away from Veemon as he approached a set of closed double doors.  He jabbed the "up" arrow with his thumb, before placing his hands in the pockets of his dress pants.

"As you've seen, Kyoko's office is on this floor, as well as the receptionist's desk when you first come in.  There's also another room further down that hall I pointed to, but it belongs to a cranky old goat that we don't want to visit.  Not on your first day."  He smiled as the elevator doors opened, to which he held one open for Veemon before entering himself.

"I'll let you pick where we start," said Alvin, gesturing toward the control panel on the left side of the elevator.  "Just so you know, my office is on the second floor."

Veemon followed Alvin as he was talking about the different rooms and floors. "An old goat? Haha, does he work here at this agency as well?"

When the elevator opened, he walked inside. He was confident that the best place to start was from the bottom. "Your office is on the second floor? Sure, let's check it out then." Veemon pressed the 2F button in the elevator, after Alvin got in, of course.

Alvin feigned a shudder at the mention of "The Old Goat."  "Oh, yes, he does.  Or at least he thinks he does.  He typically works on different cases than we will, mind you.  He works with a lot of copyright infringement, rights, and all that jazz.  You'll probably meet him one day," Alvin replied, leaning against the railing of the elevator as Veemon selected the floor.  "And good choice!  The two best things are on the second floor; my office and the bathroom."

Sure enough, Alvin's claim held true: he showed him where the restrooms were, along with a janitor's closet filled with all sorts of cleaning supplies.  "You won't need these, though," Alvin had explained as he briefly opened the closet to display all the brooms and mops.  "We have a cleaning crew come through here every morning, so you should be good there."

They turned slightly and came upon another door, a golden label bearing Alvin's name upon it.  "And this one's mine," Alvin said enthusiastically, opening the door and letting Veemon through.  "It's a beauty, isn't it?"

It was a disheveled mess, that was for certain.  Papers completely covered his desk, a box of donuts resting on top of them.  His file cabinet looked as though it hadn't been dusted for months--if ever--and stacks of papers rested in the seats where guests would normally visit.  There was a warm vibe to the office, however, whether it be from the sun's rays infiltrating the room through parted curtains or the tenderness of the clutter.  Alvin loved his office; it had shown.

The brunet went over to the desk and whirled the cardboard box of donuts around to face Veemon.  "Pick you favorites, and we'll give the leftovers that we don't want to Kyoko, okay?"

(I'll try to make the rest of the tour quick; feel free to make up some details of the other floors, if you'd like!  Want to describe Veemon's future office, maybe?)

As Alvin showed the rooms of the 2nd Floor, Veemon got a good quick peek at the office across from Alvin's. It looked rather clean around the guest seats, but the desk was a bit cluttered. As they got to Alvin's office, Veemon was in a short awe of the golden label on the door. "Wow, you even have a golden name plate for your office?! That's amazing!" Veemon cheered, struggling to not wag his tail again. "Er, sorry, I get a little excited sometimes. Eheh..." Veemon was a little embarrassed by it. After that, he calmed down as they entered Alvin's office. It wasn't what he expected it to be, but Veemon didn't judge. He has a hard time managing his own apartment anyway, so it made sense to see an office in the same way. When Alvin opened the box of donuts, Veemon skimmed through the donuts, looking for one he was in the mood for. He eyed a chocolate frosting one, but didn't want to have too much sugary stuff, so he took the lightly glazed donuts instead. "Mmm, thanks." Veemon scarfed the donut down in four big bites. As they were eating their donuts and walking back to the elevator, Veemon pulled out his small, professional notebook from his bookbag, and wrote something down.

"First day on the new job as a detective. Already introduced to the donuts. I am feeling a little more confident now."

He put it away, and pushed the elevator button. He finished up his donut as the doors opened.

Alvin and Veemon checked out the third and fourth floors, seeing a few other workers of the agency. Then, as they made it to the 5th- and final- Floor, they came across two more offices. Although, both were empty and void of papers, also, both had blank gold labels on their doors. Veemon looked around inside one of them, walking around even. "Huh... Whoa, look at that view! You can see all across the city!" Veemon said as he noticed the windows with the shades up. It wasn't actually a view of the entire city, but the view was still vast. " *sigh* I wonder if Miss Kuremi will give me an office once I do some work... If she did, I hope it's this one!"

It brought a smile to Alvin's face seeing Veemon get so excited from time to time, bringing back memories of his youth and, more specifically, when he first joined the agency several years back.  How long ago that was, and how much he'd endured during the transition . . . but it didn't pay to get lost in thought now.  They were focusing on a tour.

They briefly visited the remaining floors, where Alvin had shown Veemon where things were and introduced him to a few individuals.  At the top they had arrived at a few empty offices, to which Alvin proffered an explanation.  "We've recently done some remodeling up here," he said as they entered one of them.  "Originally this office space was rented out to another company, but we had many complications with that so Kyoko scrapped the idea and decided to just extend the agency.  Our funding permitted it, so why not?  I think she intends to give these offices away to the new agents that she's hiring, but I might be wrong.  One of these might be yours in the near future."

He offered Veemon a wink, leaning against the dusty wooden desk and resting his elbows upon it, peering out the window as Veemon excitedly bounded toward it.  "The view is breathtaking, I'll give it that," Alvin admitted.  "I moved here about three years ago.  It was definitely a transition, but I rather like it.  Are you from around here, Partner?"

With that Alvin stifled a yawn, it still being rather early to someone who spends his late nights playing video games or marathoning TV series'.  "Anywho, let's get you back down to the main floor, okay?  We can check in with Kyoko and see what she'll have us do first."

Veemon felt pretty good about what Alvin mentioned about these extra offices. His hopes were up at just the right amount. "You think so? Man, that would be really nice..." He smiled, gazing out the window.

Veemon gave his answer politely to Alvin. "I'm sort of from around here. Right now, I live on my own in an apartment down the street. It's pretty nice, but it isn't like the home I once had a couple years ago..." Veemon became a bit broken on the inside for a moment, but cheered himself up.

"Oh, right. Let's head back down. It's pretty close to 9. And we should make sure to get the donuts for her, too." Veemon walked to the door leading out of the room, then he stopped and turned his head to Alvin. "Hey, um, Alvin, was it? I was wondering... How did you feel when Kyoko joked around about your name? To be honest, I didn't find that all that funny, and kinda harsh, even if I didn't quite get the joke or reference or whatever it's called." Veemon asked Alvin, still concerned about the namecalling he got from Kyoko and the secretary. "I don't know any of you very well yet, but I know when someone is hurt by others' words."

Alvin nodded in understanding upon Veemon's words.  "Yeah, I can hear you there.  Moving is rough, even if your home wasn't all that before.  Can't say that mine was anything special, but at least it was mine.  I'm in a better place now, though, so that's all that matters."

Their conversation had grown surprisingly deep, and only further increased in depth upon Veemon's question, causing Alvin to arch a brow.  "Oh, that chipmunk bit?  It's a running gag from when I started working here.  There's this popular, or at least used to be, series about these singing chipmunks called 'Alvin and the Chipmunks.'  Alvin was the leader.  Some also say that I eat like a chipmunk, so the joke kind of spread from there.  It's fine, though, so don't worry yourself about it."

He followed Veemon to the door and rested a hand on his shoulder, offering him a tender smile.  "I like jokes, but I just like to give them a hard time and pretend that I don't.  It's kind of complicated, but you'll figure me out."

Once more Alvin held the elevator door open for Veemon, only this time Alvin hit the key for the second floor.  Couldn't forget those donuts for the boss lady, after all.  He slipped in and out of his office as a quick as a flash, returning with what remained of his donuts as they rode down to the ground level.  The elevator chimed upon its arrivals, and the doors quickly granted their leave.  The brunet took the lead and led Veemon back to Kyoko's office in long strides, knocking briskly on her office door and awaiting her response to grant them entrance.

It was still a mystery to Veemon, even after Alvin explained the joke. Veemon thought about it for a while, and remembered watching something called Alvin and the Chipmunks back in his original home. But it wasn't for long before he snapped out of it and tried to forget it. "Huh... I think this job is gonna be interesting, that's for sure." Veemon sighed in slight humiliation.

When they returned to Kyoko's office and knocked on the door, Kyoko called them in. "Oh, you're back, are you? Please, come in." She was sipping on her coffee while using her laptop. "Oh good, you brought back some donuts. Such reliable partners." She smiled at the two as they came in.

The two walked in and approached Kyoko's desk. "Ah... Wow, thank you for the tour, partner! I look forward to working with you. Oh, and you as well, Miss Kuremi." Veemon thanked the two, bowing towards Kyoko.

After being granted entry Alvin moved over toward Kyoko's desk, setting down the box of donuts before her.  "You've got Veemon to thank for that," Alvin reassured her.  "I practically spaced it until he mentioned it to me up on the fifth floor."  He offered Veemon a wink, before settling himself down in one of the chairs in front of his boss.  He crossed his legs and glanced at the clock.  The day was still young and, if he'd learned anything over the past couple of days, anything was possible here at the agency.  Even the most dull of days could turn into the most action-packed by mid-afternoon.  Rarely was there a dull moment in the office, but Alvin liked it that way.

"So, do you have an assignment for either of us today, or are we off to go fend for ourselves out there?" Alvin asked at long last, lacing his fingers behind his head and leaning back in the chair.  He was almost precariously leaned back, and any farther the brunet would come crashing to the floor with a colossal bang.

Any assignment would've pleased Alvin, give or take a few possibilities.  So long as it had nothing to do with janitorial duties or working with the "Cranky Old Goat" he'd be satisfied, though he partially hoped that they wouldn't be given anything too extensive, seeing as it was Veemon's first day on the job.

Kyoko chuckled slightly after hearing Alvin's reassurance. "Well, thank you, both of you. You both did very well in your duties of this 'tour'." Kyoko said as she reached for a donut in the donut box. "Right, your first case as partners and a new agent. Ahem." She then picked up the papers that Alvin gave to her earlier. "Yesterday night, at approximately 10:00 PM, there was a robbery at the Local clothes store over on North Wright Street." Kyoko explained in a serious tone.

Veemon was a bit shocked, but tried to stay calm. "Really? I thought I heard something coming from that street last night. It had to have been that robbery!" Veemon claimed hastely. "Do you know what was stolen?"

"Unfortunately, further details were left secret by the person who sent in this case." Kyoko shuffled the papers around to the next page. "Our client is Elize Lutus, the owner of the clothes store. Despite the lack of details in the request files, she is willing to confess those details in-person. I want you two to talk to her and gain as much information from the crime scene as possible. Then, report back here and we'll investigate our findings." Kyoko finished explaining. She then took a bite out of her donut.

Veemon was able to feel the suspense already. His strong sense of justice was about to kick in. "Hmph. Understood, Miss Kuremi. I won't let you down on my first case." Veemon stood up, invigorated by his grudge against villainy and crime. "You ready, partner?" Veemon said to Alvin, holding a fist out for a fist bump, with a confident smirk on his face.

Edited by Veemon

Alvin had a hand sprawled on Kyoko's desk, which he leaned into as he listened to the details of their new case.  His expression was flat and unreadable, taking in everything Kyoko had to offer before nodding.  "Right, another robbery."  The brunet stole a quick a glance at the window before lowering his head.  There were just too many of these in this rather large city.  Why couldn't people just mind their own property and get their own things the legal way?  Was it too much to ask of the common civilian?

"So she doesn't want to give details?  Curious, but I get it.  Maybe she's worried about leaks or something."  Alvin turned around and offered Veemon a slight grin from the corner of his mouth.  "Looks like this is our cue, Partner.  I'm ready if you are.  Oh, and here"--he fumbled in his pocket for a moment before procuring a small flip-notebook, to which he handed to his new partner--"you'll want to take lots of notes, so I think you'll find this handy, unless you've already got one somewhere on your person."

Even though Alvin had been doing this for a little over a couple of years, it didn't make him enjoy taking on a new case any more.  Of course he enjoyed his job; he enjoyed the thrill of doing detective work, as well as bringing justice to those who do wrong to others, but it still stung whenever he had to meet the victims.  He snatched up the papers that Kyoko had left on the desk and withdrew his iPhone, putting the address of the clothing store into his phone's GPS.  Even he wasn't good enough to remember where everything was located in this crazy town of theirs.

"Alright, looks like we're good enough to go," Alvin said at long last, silencing the female voice recording of the GPS which chirped directions on where they should head.  "We'll report back to you when we're through, ma'am."

Once again Alvin held the door open for his partner, leading him out into the hall and onto the street outside.  The sun blinded the brunet as they stepped foot out the door, forcing him to throw an arm in front of him to shield his eyes.  It was then that Veemon could probably tell the slight wrinkles that were developing around the corners of his eyes, indicating his age that he didn't show elsewise.

"So I think we should take the sidewalk," Alvin said, starting to take a turn on West st, hitting the crosswalk traffic signal so they'd be able to cross.  "It's not far from here and the parking of this store is a nightmare.  Sound good to you?"

Veemon relaxed a bit when Alvin passed him a notebook. He already had a notebook, but it would probably be best to have two for different purposes. "Oh, uh, okay. Got it. Thanks." Veemon smiled back as he turned his fist upside down and opened it to take the notebook. He put the small notebook in a small pocket on the side of his backpack for easy access.

As they were headed outside, Veemon took out his phone from his backpack and texted to his mother. She lives outside the city, but still calls Veemon every so often just to check up on him, and vice versa with Veemon to her. He sent a quick text:

"Made it to my first day on my new job. I already have a case! Love you!"

Sent.

They approached the crosswalk, and Veemon simply agreed with his partner's choice of getting to the clothes store. "Right, the clothes store on North Wright street. That isn't too far away from here. In fact, it's past my apartment building from here. While we're heading that way, I'll show you it from the outside, alright?" Veemon had smiling eyes as he looked up at Alvin.

A few seconds later, the street lights switched, and they were able to walk across the street now. Veemon began walking across the road after looking both ways.

It surprised Alvin that Veemon knew exactly where the clothing store was.  Well, he did say that he thought he heard something out on the street that night, he rationalized to himself, following his partner across the street when the signal changed for them to cross.  Makes sense that he'd live near it, too.

"Have you been shopping there before?" Alvin inquired, more in a conversational manner than any other.  "To be honest I never even come down here, and I've been in town for a little over two years.  Is that sad or what?"  He chuckled to himself, smoothing back his brown hair that managed to fall in his face.

"But sure; point me in the direction of your apartment; I'd love to see where you live.  Maybe I'll show you my place sometime soon, too."

Not the inside, mind you, but the exterior couldn't hurt.  If Veemon thought his office was messy, just wait until he saw the disaster area that happened to be his apartment.  Alvin didn't spend an incredible amount of time at home, so laundry looked like it had exploded from the machine and onto his sofa, and the coffee table couldn't be found under a massive pile of papers where it sat.  The dishes were never done timely, and he still had pizza boxes from last week stacked by the trash can. Even Alvin knew that it would be too messy to be displayed, especially to coworkers.

The brunet glanced at his watch momentarily as they continued down the street, occasionally stealing his gaze from the sidewalk and eyeing all of the tall buildings around them.  "So which one is it?" Alvin asked, staring at a tall brown building that looked like an apartment complex, though not necessarily Veemon's.  "Are we getting close?"

When Alvin asked Veemon about the clothes store, Veemon thought it was a bit awkward. He stopped for a moment, letting Alvin catch up. "Heheh, well, I've only been inside to look at some of the jackets and backpacks... Though I haven't bought much clothes, considering... You know..." Veemon said, looking down at his bare feet, which had three claws on each. Veemon wasn't fitted to wear clothes like the majority of people, so he never bothered to consider wearing shorts or shoes. Jackets, maybe, but shirts were also very difficult to put on or take off due to his long, ear-like appendages on his head. "But it's still got some other nice looking clothes in stock. I think they have hats like fedoras as well. I've always wanted to try one on, but I guess I never got around to it." He laughed a bit, rubbing the back of his head.

Veemon appreciated the offer of seeing Alvin's home, though he couldn't tell if Alvin really did want him to see it, or if it was simply a polite gesture. "Sure thing! If you want to show me your place sometime, I'd be fine with that." Veemon nodded. As they were approaching his apartment building, Veemon kept his eyes forward on the sidewalk ahead. "We're almost to it. The building's got a unique layout. It was tough getting used to, but it was the best place I could go to have decent access to everything I need." Veemon answered Alvin. He slowed down and looked across the street to find his apartment building on the other side. "Here we are! This is my building. Pretty neat, huh?" From here, they could see the doors of the different apartments, as well as the railing on the side on each of the four floors' exterior. The dark-blue siding reflected the other buildings and the light from the sun. "It's a bit complex at first, but it's a pretty cool place to live." He smiled at Alvin, not sure what kind of reaction to expect from him.

They came to a halt as Veemon pointed out his apartment complex residing on the opposite side of the street.  Alvin squinted and leaned forward, trying to fight out the sun so he could make out the building better.  His gaze flicked from the multiple apartment doors to the siding, a smile planting itself upon his face.  "Oh, very nice place you've got there.  It looks like a newer building, too, if the outside is any indicator of the interior.  My place is pretty old, built over one-hundred years ago.  They've renovated it and the inside is nice, but the insulation sucks so the temperature isn't very controlled inside."

He placed a hand on Veemon's shoulder, squeezing it slightly before letting it go.  "Well, cool!  Thanks for showing me.  I'm on the other side of town, so it'd be out of our way to head over there, but I'm sure sometime it'll come up."

Shoving his hands into the pockets of his dark-blue jacket, Alvin continued down the sidewalk, trying to keep an even pace so that he didn't make Veemon run behind him.  Finally they came upon the small clothing store on North Wright Street.  It was a small building, probably only 400 square feet, with several racks of clothing in the center of the room as well as along the wall.

The bell on the door rattled as the two detectives entered, and immediately a young girl behind the counter jumped, as though startled.  She whipped her head around to take a glance at them, green eyes wide in apprehension.  Alvin raised a brow as he noticed her.  For some reason he'd imagined the shopkeeper to be, well, older.  This shopkeeper that stood before them seemed like just a girl.  He took a few steps further into the shop, clearing his throat as if hoping to get her attention.

And her attention he did receive.  The small blonde girl took a hesitant step out from behind the counter, hurrying over to the detectives as she smoothed down her violet skirt.  "Hello there, can I help you with anything?" she voiced, soft-spoken yet holding a note of authority.

As Veemon and Alvin were approaching the small girl, and her approaching them, Veemon was taking a quick glance around the room. There didn't seem to be anything out of place, besides the one shirt or two placed in the pants and jeans section, which made Veemon slightly annoyed, but didn't mention it. He brought his focus to the girl in front of the two. "Oh, hello. We, uh, well... Do you know where Elize Lutus is? The owner of this clothes store?" Veemon responded with a question, thinking she was simply an employee. He then lifted his arm and pointed his thumb in an approximate direction towards the Detective Agency. "We came here because of a case that was issued to our detective agency." He said, considering introducing himself and Alvin, though he did not want to accidentally burden the young lady with names if it was unnecessary, so he hesitated. Veemon had a serious, but caring tone in his voice and look on his face.

The young girl clasped her hands in front of her, gaze fixated on Veemon.  For a moment she seemed hesitant to answer--and a part of her wished to make a break for it and bolt away--but instead she simply nodded.  "I am her," was her simple response.  She relaxed immensely when Veemon informed her that they were detectives, eventually holding out her hand to shake both of theirs in turn.  "It's a pleasure to meet you.  After issuing my case I was informed that a couple of detectives would be over here."

Alvin gave her hand a brief shake before retreating his hand into his jacket's pocket, withdrawing a small notebook quite similar to that of which he gave to Veemon earlier.  "Nice to meet you, Elize.  The name's Alvin."  He gave her a second glance, wondering if children her age were even permitted to own clothing shops.  He decided that this wasn't the time or place to question it.  They had work to do.  "I was wondering if you could tell us a little bit more about this case."

"Oh, yes, but not here," Elize responded, wide-eyed and on edge.  "Come,  I have a backroom over here where we can talk.  I'll hear the bell chime at the front door if any customers come in."

Shuffling her feet, the young blonde led them behind the counter and around the corner, into a backroom filled with lots of boxes.  They were stacked precariously and high, and Alvin feared one stack would completely collapse on them if he put any weight into it.  She skirted around a few plastic bins and led them over to a desk, which had two fold-up metal chairs alongside it.  "Please, have a seat," she insisted politely, propping herself up on the desk so that she would face them.

Alvin shot a quick glance over at Veemon, wondering if he thought this shopkeeper was just as strange as he did.  Eventually he sat down, the chair being awkwardly short for him so that he had to extend his legs out rather far.

Veemon's eyes widened as the young lady claimed to be the shopkeeper. "Oh! My apologies. Well then, it is a pleasure to meet you!" Veemon said with a suddenly cheerful look as he shook her hand. After Alvin introduced himself, Veemon figured he should as well. "And I'm Veemon!"

As they followed Elize into the backroom, Veemon looked across the store, spotting a rack of fedoras for a split second. No way, they still have some fedoras! I want one... Veemon thought to himself. Once the fedoras were out of sight, Veemon slowly returned his focus towards entering the backroom.

There were many boxes stacked up- some big, some small. All the way to the chairs set up near the desk, Veemon was looking behind him while holding his tail up, trying to avoid knocking down any boxes. "Uhh..." Veemon spoke quietly to himself. When he made it to the empty metal chair next to Alvin's, he was able to sit down in it very naturally, which felt quite nice. The only problem was that the chair was a tad cold, which brought a chill to Veemon. He got over it pretty soon, though.

As Alvin glanced at Veemon, he did the same in return, with this shivering look in his body language. Veemon wondered if Alvin thought this young lady was a bit strange, too. He then looked back towards Elize, taking out the small notepad that Alvin gave him, and decided to ask her some things. "So... Miss Elize. Could you tell us more about what happened last night? Perhaps starting with the general situation? We heard something was stolen, is that correct?"

Elize bit her lip and nodded at Veemon's question.  Her face looked haunted, her gaze downcast.  It seemed as though she didn't really want to talk about it, but had no choice if she had any hope of recovering what was lost.

"That's right, Veemon.  Last night there was a robbery here," she replied, voice soft.  "I--I have security footage, so the burglar was caught on tape.  I was at home that night.  We close at six o'clock.  Me and another girl that works here made sure the doors were locked when we left, but when I arrived this morning the door was ajar."  She paused, as though giving Veemon time to write before continuing.  "The robbery happened at approximately one o'clock this morning, if that helps any."

The burglar also looked a lot like you, Elize wanted to say, though she refrained herself for fear of insulting the kind detective.

Alvin had his arms crossed against his chest as Veemon and Elize exchanged information.  For this being his first case, Alvin couldn't help feeling that Veemon was doing rather well in his interrogation.  "So, this burglar . . . .  Do you know what he took?"  He prepped his notepad and clicked his pen open, preparing to jot down notes.  He glanced over at the young girl over his hands, expression serious as he awaited her response.  Instead of being able to respond, however, Elize just nodded and burst into tears, small hands grasping the sides of the desk.

This was a bit more than Alvin had bargained for.  He raised a brow and drew in a breath.  How was he going to handle this situation if she couldn't even cooperate and talk with them?  He shrugged his shoulders, looking perplexed as he shot a glance at Veemon, his expression practically reading, any ideas?