Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Axeken

KHUX Theory: Does the X in "Kingdom Hearts Union χ[cross]" mean that it's Kingdom Hearts 10?

Not really a question but an observation that Union X is the 10 game in the series and maybe the shift from "chi" to "cross is supposed to reflect that perhaps? Lemme show you my working. First, to be clear, X is the roman numeral for 10. Next:

1. Kingdom Hearts (Final Mix)
  2. Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (Re: Chain of Memories)
  3. Kingdom Hearts II (Final Mix)
  4. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
  5. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (aka Kingdom Hearts 0 by Nomura) (Final Mix)
  6. Kingdom Hearts coded (Re:coded)
  7. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (HD: Dream Drop Distance)
  8. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-
  9. Kingdom Hearts x [chi] (Unchained x) (x Back Cover)
  10. Kingdom Hearts X[cross]
  11. Kingdom Hearts III

I know Unchained x and Union X are the same game essentially but I see the x [chi] saga as the story of the Unions and Union X as the story of the Dandelions.  

I know there is a lot of flaws in the theory such as counted the chi games either all as one or all seperate, the collections and the remakes can also be counted by themselves as they are very different to their originals but still, using this a basis I think I feel this can be a safe assumption. What do you think of this theory? Is it valid? Is this an old theory that I missed? Feel free to poke holes in it :) 

The biggest problem with the theory, besides having no reason to be true, is that it's not an X, the Roman numeral, it's χ, the Greek letter. It's pronounced kind of like "key", hence the χ-blade. It's not 10 cross, it's "key" cross, because Keyblade wielders are starting crossing their keys, aka crossing swords, leading to the Keyblade War, get it?

The biggest problem with the theory, besides having no reason to be true, is that it's not an X, the Roman numeral, it's χ, the Greek letter. It's pronounced kind of like "key", hence the χ-blade. It's not 10 cross, it's "key" cross, because Keyblade wielders are starting crossing their keys, aka crossing swords, leading to the Keyblade War, get it?

I actually think the χ in Union χ is meant to be pronounced "cross" and not "chi". Seeing as the first KHχ game was named Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] with the pronunciation at the end. And since the new one is called Kingdom Hearts Union χ [cross] I assume "cross" is the suggested pronunciation as of now.

Edited by JTD95

I actually think the χ in Union χ is meant to be pronounced "cross" and not "key". Seeing as the first KHχ game was named Kingdom Hearts χ [key] with the pronunciation at the end. And since the new one is called Kingdom Hearts Union χ [cross] I assume "cross" is the suggested pronunciation as of now.

Is it? I always thought it was supposed to be pronounced "key cross" for the reasons I mentioned, though now I'm not sure.

Either way, it's definitely not the Roman numeral X, so the whole idea of this being the 10th KH game is still reeeeally suspect.

Not really, no. By that logic, Mega Man X would be seen as "Mega Man 10", but it was released before a Mega Man 10 even existed, and now there is an actual Mega Man 10, so that chance is gone altogether. I know it's easy to fudge and interpret it as the 10th title in the series, but if we're going to include the Final Mixes, Remakes, and ReMIXes as simply parts of individually released titles, then we should do the same with Union X (cross) and consider it just another part of Unchained X. The original title isn't available as a separate game anymore, all of the Unchained X era missions are still accessable in it, and in the end it's abbreviation is STILL "KH:UX", the meaning of the "UX" is simply different. It's like how Riku's story in Chain of Memories is subtitled (or, uh, sub-subtitled) "Reverse/Rebirth", it's not meant to be considered a separate game, it's just another chapter within the same title. That's what we should consider Union X, not as a separate game altogether, but as another chapter within the same evolving game of Unchained X...or just X in general really. If you must though, you could simply just keep the original X as it's own thing while Unchained X and Union X become one and the same title, but AGAIN, by that logic you would have to count Chain of Memories and Rechain of Memories, Coded and Re:Coded, 1.5, 2.5, etc. as their own separate entries as well, so even then you don't get to make "X" mean "10".

Exactly this. It is not a numeral at all. It's the letter χ, or "chi." Ten has nothing to do with it.