Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Dragon-Ball-Fighters-Ann_06-09-17_003.jp

Dragon-Ball-Fighters-Ann_06-09-17_001.jpDragon-Ball-Fighters-Ann_06-09-17_002.jp

Source

(Note: this information was leaked early as the official announcement was scheduled for June 12. No confirmation if there will be further news at the upcoming E3 but there is a possibility)

Confirmed characters so far (ala these screenshots):

Son Goku, Son Gohan (Young), Vegeta, Freeza (Final Form), Cell (Perfect), Majin Buu (good)

A brand new DragonBall game is in our midsts, ladies and gentleman, and it is not a sequel to the Xenoverse franchise. No instead, this is a 2.5D fighter accurately named "DragonBall FighterZ" developed by Arc Systems Works, the development team behind the successful Guilty Gear and BlazBlue franchises, scheduled for worldwide release in early 2018.

Arc System Works has a bit of a history of DragonBall as they developed the SuperSonic Warriors series of games way back in the years of 2004 and 2005, and also had a hand in the game Extreme Butoden released for the 3DS in 2015. This will be one of the first DragonBall 2D fighters (as well as the first ever 2.5D game) released for current generation consoles since Dimps released "DragonBall Z: Infinite World", the last official entry to the Budokai series, in 2008.

As far as information on the game is concerned:

The game uses a three-versus-three team battle system, allowing players to determine the compatibility between characters and form a team of fighters. It will incorporate the “ultra high speed battles” and “flashy special moves” that the Dragon Ball series is known for.

According to producer Tomoko Hiroki, while Dragon Ball titles of recent years have been 3D, they chose 2.5D this time because there were some things that can only be done in that style. While it looks like 2D animation at first glance, it has a broader range of expression as they can shift camera angles and incorporate a lot of unique production not possible in 2D alone.

Now personally: ... well, let's be honest, you already know I'm hyped. xD I still haven't haven't gotten on the XV2 train yet, but other than that, I'm a fairly well-versed aficionado in DragonBall games, especially the fighting game franchises. This game in particular, however, still feels like it will feel like a dive into a brand new experience, not only because of the 2.5D and other aspects concerning graphics and gameplay listed above, but also because this harkens back to a more traditional fighter that is more commonly seen related to DragonBall in the old school Butoden series of games, as well as other notable examples such as Hyper Dimension and Super DragonBall Z.

However, I am also confident that ASW will deliver on their ambitions on "ultra high speed battles" and "flashy special moves" to fit the DragonBall experience because frankly, that is the only way to go when making a DragonBall fighter.

I remember way back when, I used to harp on the games made by Dimps for just being Street Fighter clones, and you know what, I don't know what the Hell I was on about because Dimps knew exactly how to take the standard fighting game format and "DragonBall" it up. From Budokai to Shin Budokai to Burst Limit, whether or not you like any of those entries at all, they hit hard, they were fast-paced, and they truly made you believe you were not just a fighter, but a fighter from the DragonBall universe capable of throwing around energy beams and disappearing in and out sight to perform crushing high-speed combos. They knew how to make a DragonBall game exciting in a way that is true to the series while also making a competent fighter, and that is what I believe ASW is capable of doing with this game and why I look forward to future news.

So what about you? Are you excited for another DragonBall game? Are you glad that the series is receiving another traditional fighter? Do you think this game has potential to be name-checked in the same vein as Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Injustice 2, Killer Instinct, etc.? Leave your comments below.

Edited by Firaga

I mean, personally, I still prefer Xenoverse/Xenoverse 2's gameplay style, I feel it combines the fighting and adventure aspects of the series in a great way that makes for a much more complete Dragon Ball experience. Of course, for those who just love the fighting and nothing else, this is probably going to be a dream come true. I'm just not that much of a fan of more traditional 2D (or uh, 2.5D in this case I guess) fighting games, because I'm just not that kind of gamer, whenever I play with my friends I can only button mash and hope for the best since I can't commit those combos to memory for crap.

I'll still buy and likely enjoy this since it's Dragon Ball and I don't have anything against the genre itself, I just probably won't replay it as much as I do Xenoverse 2. I will say this though, the only gripe I ever had with the Xenoverse series is the limitation of the roster and a limitation to how many special movies you can take into battle, so if this game can at least give me a much larger and more satisfying roster and of course have each version of each character have all of their moves straight from the get-go with an easier way to memorize and execute them, then it might actually give me an enjoyable alternative experience to Xenoverse 2. Though of course, if it does succeed there, the only next logical step to me would be combining the best of both games in the future.

I enjoyed Extreme Butoden, so I definitely can't wait to pick this one up! Given that it's a console project and not a smaller handheld game, I'm hoping (and sure) it'll have a much more expansive roster than that game did. The only gripe I guess I could possibly have is that it's not on the Switch, but I'm getting a PS4 anyway, so it's not that big of a deal. It'd still be a fun game to play on the go, though.

Hmm, well this is interesting! Honestly, the only Dragon Ball games I've played are the three Budokai Tenkaichi games, two of which I own, and the third which I would play with my best friend/soul brother Jonathan during our Junior High years! Damn, those were good times!

From the sound of it, it looks like this game will incorporate a unique approach to the Dragon Ball fighting game series, and it might prove to be a big hit! I think that it'll be pretty awesome! :D

Hmm, well this is interesting! Honestly, the only Dragon Ball games I've played are the three Budokai Tenkaichi games, two of which I own, and the third which I would play with my best friend/soul brother Jonathan during our Junior High years! Damn, those were good times!

From the sound of it, it looks like this game will incorporate a unique approach to the Dragon Ball fighting game series, and it might prove to be a big hit! I think that it'll be pretty awesome! :D

Believe me, this will be a different experience, especially for you. As I mentioned in the post, this is closer to the original Budokai games that came out around the same time as BT, which are more complex in terms of button input and all that and therefore more closer to legitimate fighters, which is fitting given that this is a developer that does in fact make legitimate fighters as well. 

Believe me, this will be a different experience, especially for you. As I mentioned in the post, this is closer to the original Budokai games that came out around the same time as BT, which are more complex in terms of button input and all that and therefore more closer to legitimate fighters, which is fitting given that this is a developer that does in fact make legitimate fighters as well. 

Butoden came before Budokai, don't forget that one.

Butoden came before Budokai, don't forget that one.

Oh yes, of course. That's even more old school, dating back to the early 90s, and a franchise which has fairly decent titles in its right except Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout.

Oh yes, of course. That's even more old school, dating back to the early 90s, and a franchise which has fairly decent titles in its right except Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout.

Extreme Butoden's pretty good, though. xD

Aaaaand since I made an earlier post similar to the one I'm about to make now and because I want more views/comments on this thread, here's this xD:

Up above, I've already listed the (so far) confirmed playable characters for the game based on the screenshots we recieved... and if you somehow missed that, here they are:

Son Goku

Son Gohan (Young)

Vegeta

Freeza (Final Form)

Cell (Perfect)

Majin Buu (Good)

But as for other characters, I predict that, based on factors of general roster balance as well as picking the most relevant characters from the base series as well as the currently running DragonBall Super, that these characters will be playable.

Piccolo

Kuririn

Tenshinhan

Muten Roshi

Yamucha

Trunks (Future)

Android 17

Android 18

Gohan (Adult)

Gotenks

Vegetto

Dabura

Majin Buu (Pure)

Towa

Mira

Beerus

Freeza (Golden)

Cabba

Frost (Final Form)

Hit

Goku Black

Zamasu

Broly (because he's Broly and needs to be in everything, don't deny it, it'll probably happen, just gotta deal with it...)

Aaaaand since I made an earlier post similar to the one I'm about to make now and because I want more views/comments on this thread, here's this xD:

Up above, I've already listed the (so far) confirmed playable characters for the game based on the screenshots we recieved... and if you somehow missed that, here they are:

Son Goku

Son Gohan (Young)

Vegeta

Freeza (Final Form)

Cell (Perfect)

Majin Buu (Good)

But as for other characters, I predict that, based on factors of general roster balance as well as picking the most relevant characters from the base series as well as the currently running DragonBall Super, that these characters will be playable.

Piccolo

Kuririn

Tenshinhan

Muten Roshi

Yamucha

Trunks (Future)

Android 17

Android 18

Gohan (Adult)

Gotenks

Vegetto

Dabura

Majin Buu (Pure)

Towa

Mira

Beerus

Freeza (Golden)

Cabba

Frost (Final Form)

Hit

Goku Black

Zamasu

Broly (because he's Broly and needs to be in everything, don't deny it, it'll probably happen, just gotta deal with it...)

Where's my Videl

This all seems pretty reasonable, too. It's a small roster, but as long as they're all fun to play, I really don't mind. I kind of feel like Raditz or Nappa would fit too just to add more from the Saiyan Saga, but they aren't really necessary either. Same goes for Ginyu.

Although please no Broly, we don't need him stinking up a great game... Too bad we all know he'll be in anyway.

Well, then with that being the case, then I'm sure this next Dragon Ball game is going to be quite the legit and awesome fighter! Heck, if it's that good, then it'll probably get into E-Sports terrain, since fighter games tend to appear in those, if I'm not mistaken!

The first trailer was released during Microsoft's E3 conference!

Also, looks like the title is Dragonball Fighter Z, not Dragonball Fighters.

EDIT: Added in a better upload of the trailer

Edited by Shulk

Also, looks like the title is Dragonball Fighter Z, not Dragonball Fighters.

Actually, it is "DragonBall FighterZ" as in "DragonBall Fighters with a 'Z' instead of an 's'" because of course a DragonBall game would use that pun, I'm surprised it hasn't been done before already. xD

Anyways, that trailer:

VEGETA

WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THIS GAME'S HYPE LEVEL?!

tumblr_inline_nrdp24NlmZ1syf2yq_500.gif

YAAAAAS BITCH, LET'S F*CKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy smokes, baloney, fudge and mustard, stop the presses, stop the motherf*cking internet... I gotta say something about this. xD

My God, that was intense. Every goddamn thing in this trailer on was on-point, I don't give a damn about what anybody has to say.

The graphics/art style looks exactly like-no not even exactly like, it looks better than any of the anime or animated movies or whatever that has come out of the series proper. It is gorgeous to look at, it uses that 2.5D perspective that the dev team is known for, and everything from movement in-game, in cutscenes, just to posing for something, it looks clean af, man. And the gameplay itself? Even if it didn't go as crazy as it could have for a DragonBall level fighter (in the time it was allowed that is, it is just a less-than-a minute and a half trailer, not much you can do about that), it looked hard hittingespecially combined with the ki blast deflection, the dashing, the attacks, particle effects, 3v3 action, and of course, the goddamn ultimate movie cutscenes, which again, clean af. And on top of all that, we have confirmation that there will, in fact, be DBS content with that small snippet of SSJ3 Goku fighting Golden Freeza.

Oh, be still my beating heart. I need to gather the Dragon Balls because I need to make a wish to make the year of 2018 get here right now.

Edited by Firaga

Actually, it is "DragonBall FighterZ" as in "DragonBall Fighters with a 'Z' instead of an 's'" because of course a DragonBall game would use that pun, I'm surprised it hasn't been done before already. xD

Anyways, that trailer:

VEGETA

WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THIS GAME'S HYPE LEVEL?!

tumblr_inline_nrdp24NlmZ1syf2yq_500.gif

YAAAAAS BITCH, LET'S F*CKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Holy smokes, baloney, fudge and mustard, stop the presses, stop the internet... I gotta say something about this. xD

My God, that was intense. Every goddamn thing in this trailer on was on-point, I don't give a damn about what anybody has to say.

The graphics/art style looks exactly like-no not even exactly like, it looks better than any of the anime or animated movies or whatever that has come out of the series proper. It is gorgeous to look at, it uses that 2.5D perspective that the dev team is known for, and everything from movement in-game, in cutscenes, just to posing for something, it looks clean af, man. And the gameplay itself? Even if it didn't go as crazy as it could have for a DragonBall level fighter (in the time it was allowed that is, it is just a less-than-a minute and a half trailer, not much you can do about that), it looked hard hittingespecially combined with the ki blast deflection, the dashing, the attacks, particle effects, 3v3 action, and of course, the goddamn ultimate movie cutscenes, which again, clean af. And on top of all that, we have confirmation that there will, in fact, be DBS content with that small snippet of SSJ3 Goku fighting Golden Freeza.

Oh, be still my beating heart. I need the Dragon Balls right now because I need to make a wish to make the year of 2018 get here right now.

I saw it written both ways, wasn't sure which to go with. ._.

Either way, I agree. I love the art style of the game, and it looks fast-paced and really, really fun. A lot like Extreme Butoden (which makes sense given it's by the same team), but with a lot more polish and even crazier things to do in battle. I really can't wait to see more footage of the game, because what we've seen already is fantastic! I really can't wait until it comes out... although I'll still need to get a PS4 to play it. xD

Update!

The game will receive a closed beta for PS4 and Xbox One players this coming summer, with more details to follow soon.

I was hoping this would be on PC as well, since I doubt I'll have a PS4 by then... Oh well.

Straight from Bandai Namco and I assume a playable demo from E3, we have gameplay footage!

Videos provided by DBZanto.

Not much to say except this is so far delivering on everything I had hoped for from the info we had been given previously: intro/transition cutscenes, dashing, flying (well sort of flying), ki blasts, assist characters, tons of easter eggs, and the return of stage explosions, baby. 

Straight from E3, we have an interview with the game's producer, the lovely Tomoko Hiroki!

Here's what she went over:

• As many in the community have already attested to, the game is not only focused on catering to fans of the franchise but also fans of the fighting game genre.
  • Hiroki reiterates this point as she mentions that there will be no "level up systems" or "customization" for players to have access to, possibly referring to the more action RPG oriented elements of the Xenoverse games, and instead have them "use their minds, their skills, and their techniques to master the game."
  • Each character in the roster will have their own unique identity, focusing on Goku and Gohan. She describes Goku as a character "made for beginners" and describes Gohan as a short but heavy hitter.
  • The 3v3 mechanic was implemented for two reasons: 1) Because it will add more strategy to the gameplay and 2) so that players can create unique "Dream Teams", as she puts it.
  • The game is unique to other fighters as it includes various DragonBall-esque features, including: the "Super Dash" (also called the "Homing Dash"), a technique for airborne opponents that launches you at them to continue battling them mid-air; the "Ki Charge": the basic act of gathering Ki seen in most common DragonBall games; and the "Dragon Rush", a replacement for standard throw moves seen in other fighters that acts as a standard combo finisher that launches your opponent skyward to continue the combo in the air.
  • Hiroki implies that the game will have a rich list of combos as well as utilize the "speedy" kind of play-style that Arc Systems Works is best known for.
  • When asked about the game's functionality with standard 1v1 battles versus the focused on 3v3 system, she did not confirm nor deny 1v1 only battles but stated that they focused on "creating a good balance and experience for this game using the 3v3 feature".
  • Finally: when asked about balance between characters who have transformations versus characters with no transformations, Hiroki said that transformations are only one of a certain character's attacks available to them and therefore, there should be no imbalance between the two.
Edited by Firaga

For anyone who was hoping that this would come to the Switch, there's still hope! The developers said that they'll port it over in the future if there's enough demand.

Source

As long as Xenoverse 2's Switch port does well, I'm sure that we can prove that Nintendo fans want this game too. I was hoping for a Switch version from the start, so I'm really excited to hear this since it's the same exact thing the developers of Rocket League said and that's now been confirmed!

In case you haven't heard already, Future Trunks is officially confirmed for the FighterZ roster!

UY47d9J.jpg

Source

In addition, we also have an official screenshot of him in the game!

3253891-3844325224-DDOyp.jpg

Source

EDIT: (7/19/17)

New info rolls in featuring online features, the upcoming closed beta, and two brand new characters in Piccolo and Kuririn!

trunks.png

Source

piccolo3.png

Source

Bandai Namco Entertainment has announced that sign ups for the closed beta for the anticipated fighter Dragon Ball FighterZ will be available on July 26th. It will also feature nine playable characters. We can definitely expect Goku, Teen Gohan, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Frieza, Cell. and Majin Buu as they are already confirmed, which leaves two unconfirmed characters. 

Source

(EDIT: 7/20/17)

Even more news rolls in as we see some more gameplay visuals for Piccolo as well as more detail about online features like Replay Channel and Emotion Stamps!

dUXRZes.jpg

Source

Edited by Firaga