Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Rubyblu343

Has there ever been a rushed kingdom hearts game?

Maybe not rushed, but certainly not as polished as it could've been. Birth by Sleep comes to my mind immediately. While I totally love it and the characters, I can't help but feel like it could've been better and more consistent. Truthfully, Birth by Sleep struggles a lot with being a prequel and having to build up the story for KH1. Thanks to that, everything in BBS happens really quickly while it might've helped to spread this over two games.

What I mean by this is especially apparent after Eraqus's death. Terra and Aqua talk about it, but there is not nearly enough time for Aqua to appropriately react to it, instead, all of her reactions to that and Terra's Darkness is mashed into two sentences before Ven shows up and it leads to the end fight. If they had chosen to make it seem like time is genuinely pressing, they just could've chosen to let Ven interrupt them, but it seems like they did want Aqua to react to all of that, they just didn't have enough time left in the game.

It also feels like BBS's story might've been changed over time or maybe even with a console switch from PS2 to PSP, leading to various cuts. At least that would explain to me why the Terra/Aqua conversation in Radiant Garden hardly makes any sense. It makes enough sense when we play Ven's story, but as soon we play Aqua's or Terra's story, it becomes apparent that a) Terra didn't do anything wrong at that point and b) logically, Aqua couldn't have seen it. Yet she accuses him of having seen things he's done and he doesn't defend himself, instead just reacting to her lack of trust. This makes sense if they had intended to show Terra genuinely slipping into the Darkness on his own accord (like Riku), so I assume they changed this sometime along the way to avoid too many similarities.

So I wouldn't exactly call it rushed because I think lots of stuff happens during development and the intended release console shapes a game a lot (as seen with CoM or even DDD). But I genuinely believe that given more time, you could've pushed some games even further, making them even better. Though the same is true for the opposite, too, give it too much time and you can actually add stuff and make changes that totally destroy a game.

Edited by Alja

i think DDD was supposedly rushed, but other than that i think all the games have been developed within a fair amount of time. 

now whether or not they used that time wisely is up for debate because i think BBS could have really axed the Mirage Arena in favor of sprucing up the worlds and characters.

To my knowledge, all the games have been made in their appropriate timetables. There has been cut content and code in the games that hint at other Disney properties, like the Buzz and Woody summons for Kingdom Hearts II, so with this, we can just say that there's been cut content, but the games haven't really been rushed!

I just hope that Kingdom Hearts III isn't rushed, but looking at the game from the latest trailer we got, it looks perfect so far! :')

Snip

I would have considered Birth By Sleep perfect were it not for the repetitiveness of the worlds and how awful the Mirage Arena was. Making the worlds much more unique for each character and making the Mirage Arena have some sort of actual place in the story would be what I wished they had spent more time on.

I would have considered Birth By Sleep perfect were it not for the repetitiveness of the worlds and how awful the Mirage Arena was. Making the worlds much more unique for each character and making the Mirage Arena have some sort of actual place in the story would be what I wished they had spent more time on.

I think that is the main problem with Birth by Sleep. They wanted three protagonists and they wanted them to visit the same worlds so they could interact. The idea is great but yes, this ended up being very repetitive. It helped that some maps were only accessible to single characters, but having the same areas over and over again... it takes away from the replay factor a lot, I gotta admit that, because once you played through BBS once, you already played through it 3 times.

I don't know about the Mirage Arena though, maybe it was a good addition in the PSP (I only played the PS3 version), but in general, it's nothing that I find overly enticing to begin with :/ I do think though that the PSP as the platform was ultimately one of the hugest factors that didn't allow the game to meet all of its potential. I guess it's probably the same with the other handheld games, although the story of CoM is really amazing and executed well, if it weren't for the horrible card system...

But that's an entirely different story xD

BBS wasn't rushed but it did have the problem of the "the heart exists before birth" thing Nomura was told to cut due to the west's debate on abortion, which may have affected some story beats as well - I think it's very theorized the Unversed were originally supposed to tie into this somehow, which might explain why in the finished product they are so weirdly handled.

DDD was made pretty fast, but I think that was more due to being so short as opposed to actually being rushed.

I think that is the main problem with Birth by Sleep. They wanted three protagonists and they wanted them to visit the same worlds so they could interact. The idea is great but yes, this ended up being very repetitive. It helped that some maps were only accessible to single characters, but having the same areas over and over again... it takes away from the replay factor a lot, I gotta admit that, because once you played through BBS once, you already played through it 3 times.

Precisely. The problem was that each world for each character reused at least a couple of the same areas, with Disney Castle in particular being exactly the same for all 3 of them. It would have been best if there were at least a couple worlds a character that were totally unique to that character, however, it's fine that they were using the same worlds, but had the areas been entirely unique and had each story be more unique as well instead of just copying the movies straight it would have been a lot better. Even the other Kingdom Hearts games that used the same basic plot of the movies for it's Disney Worlds did a much better job of hiding it than BBS did.

I do believe that KH2 was also a very rushed game. Hence why so much content was added to it in the Final Mix version. This also explains why no Final Mixes before it or after it have added nearly as much content. 

When do you call a game rushed? (Almost) Every KH game has content that has been cut out.

I never felt that a game was rushed, and to me it always felt complete.

When do you call a game rushed? (Almost) Every KH game has content that has been cut out.

I never felt that a game was rushed, and to me it always felt complete.

True, that!

And yeah, it's true, all the games have felt pretty substantial! Obviously the Final Mixes are the exception, because they provided heaps of new content we didn't have otherwise in the normal versions of BBS, I and II!

I do believe that KH2 was also a very rushed game. Hence why so much content was added to it in the Final Mix version. This also explains why no Final Mixes before it or after it have added nearly as much content. 

I don't find KH2 rushed KH1 feels rushed to me personally. The combat is slow, the story is very thin and the camera oooooh God kill that camera with that platforming but I don't want this to be ''KH1 VS KH2'' Discussion

Edited by AwesomeKHfan

I don't know about the Mirage Arena though, maybe it was a good addition in the PSP (I only played the PS3 version), but in general, it's nothing that I find overly enticing to begin with :/ I do think though that the PSP as the platform was ultimately one of the hugest factors that didn't allow the game to meet all of its potential. I guess it's probably the same with the other handheld games, although the story of CoM is really amazing and executed well, if it weren't for the horrible card system...

But that's an entirely different story xD

Remember this

I wouldn't be surprised that the PS2 was more powerful I am not a expert on this but most areas in BBS are really really small compared to KH2 as a example: they couldn't do the capes on the PSP, BBS already had loading issues on the PSP to.

These characters are supposed to be the prime keyblade wielders but Sora is just as strong at the age of 15 (but one magic and abilities department he will be schooled) a few hours ago I was fighting Vanitas who take possession of Ventus and he didn't seem that strong in gameplay but when the cutscene hits it's a hole other story.

I have to come back from what I said before; Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories felt totally rushed.

With just 3 hours of cutscene and every Disney world had only Text cutscene made me believe it was rushed to finish it in time for the 2 final mix+ edition.