Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Nweintraub

Film Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame-based original Theory

Okay, so there's this thing that's been put in my head, now I'd like to share it with you. It's this theory I have based on Disney's the Hunchback of Notre Dame, centered on Quasimoto. I belive that Quasimoto has Stockholm's Syndrome, as well as Schizophrenia. In fact, I think the Stockholm syndrome is to blame for his schizophrenia. But let me explain how I think he has those two mental issues. He's lived 20 years with a corrupt Frollo, who insists that "the outside world is dangerous, the people outside are evil, your mother tried to kill you, & the clock tower is your only sanctuary" (this in my mind, is the Stockholm Syndrome). & He's always wanted in his heart to run away, but the fear of disobeying his master's wishes have weighed heavily on his shoulders, creating so much stress on him, eventually driving him to his breaking point. This is evident when he starts seeing gargoyles come to life (note that no one sees them come to life, only Quasimoto. Also, note that Frollo mocks Quasimoto for seeing things. This implies that they are simply stress-based hallucinogens made in his head to make him forget about leaving the tower, but instead, they end up encouraging him to leave the tower.)

I don't know if it's Stockholm Syndrome as much as Frollo being the only father figure that Quasimoto ever had, along with his only true connection to the outside world.  Even Rapunzel from Tangled, who was in a similar situation, cared and sympathized over Mother Gothel, who was the only connection that she had to the world and the only human she'd really known.  It is possible that stockholm syndrome is an explanation, though I'm more inclined to believe that it was Quasimoto's attachment to the only father he knew that caused him to care for him--to a point.

As for the gargoyles, I kind of felt that this was Disney's attempt to lighten the mood and keep the movie from being entirely serious--as well as add a little whimsy--though your explanation also makes sense and is possible.

Yeah, about that; not only do I think Rapunzel has Stockholm Syndrome, but I also think she's bipolar. Note that she's always unhappy, & Flynn says "you look like you're having a battle with yourself". That litterally screams that there's something wrong with her. & I think that very something, is bipolar disorder.