Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Shard the Gentleman

Roleplay ~The Happy Journal~ (Roleplay)

-DAY TWO-

~James Harper~

James found himself waking up earlier than usual today- the sun wasn't on the west side of the library this time. Perhaps it was because he went to bed so early after having woken up so late. He looked beside him, at the cabinet containing the Journal. He wasn't sure if he should open it today- but knew that he had to if he didn't want to be... well, whatever happened to that other guy. He pushed himself up, noticing he fell asleep in the clothes he wore yesterday.

I might as well wear these again today.

James grabbed his Journal and carried it with him as he did his morning ritual. Bathroom, make bed, brush hair. He grabbed the extra books he took from the library the previous evening and began delving into it.

Supposedly, the creatures are driven by righteousness. Let's say, they could sense when someone was being bad- disobedient. In fact, theoretically, let's say that every time the rules are ignored, their hunger grows. The more the rules are ignored, the closer the creatures are to attacking the disobedient ones. Of course, this is all rhetoric.

It could be possible that these creatures simply don't have a mind, but I don't believe that. I've seen them.

The entry ended, followed by a lot of blank pages. However, soon enough, another entry was found, looking much more dismaying.

Supposedly. Theoretically. Rhetoric. Nonsense. These creatures are here. The Keepers. Everything I've said is accurate- but there's more. Terrifying strength in their legs- and some sort of stealth reflex. They somehow got into my house without me hearing even a door or window. Why do they wait? I can see them. The know I can. Why haven't they attacked? You wouldn't think blue eyes could be so terrifying. That huffing... the huffing is constant. I've been losing sleep. Today, I woke up with them standing beside my bed, looking into my chest- as if they could see right to my heart. Maybe they can.

More blanks. Another entry.

I've been ignoring the Journal. Ever since I saw them the first time, I've been obedient. Today, I neglected to read, and I'm suffering dearly. I'm hiding this book in the library- maybe one day it'll help someone else. Maybe it'll teach them not to ignore the rules. This may be the end of me. Goodbye.

James threw the book down. He quickly grabbed his Journal out of fear. He didn't want to see these creatures. he didn't want the torture of no sleep- of no escape from the fate he knew was coming. He would be obedient. He would be. He had to be.

He opened his Journal, and read the entry.

Kill Vanitas.

=JOURNAL ENTRIES=

Vanitas: Your journal is completely blank. Even old entries have been erased.

Aya: Follow the black haired boy and the Librarian. Do not be seen. Ignore all chores and work.

James: Kill Vanitas.

Fennel: Join Genesis and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth: Join Genesis and Fennel

Genesis: Go to the playhouse with a set of matches. Allow your friends to join you.

Veran: Go to the woods after dark. Once you see what you've been sent, return home.

Jynn: Take Mel to town, to the sheriff. Make a choice.

Vincent: Head to the lake and make the discovery.

Varius: Take the role. (ominous but dw you'll know what I mean)

(Sorry if I missed anyone! Let me know if I did.)

Edited by Shard the Gentleman

Vanitas woke up just before the sun rose to another day, rubbing his eyes as he groaned. He couldn't remember his dreams, not as well as he wished he could. The one thing he could never forget however, were those brilliant blue eyes. They filled him with...he could barely describe it. Was it hate? Or yearning? Or sadness? Hell if he knew. He yawned, quickly getting up and taking a quick shower before dressing up for a day's work. If he began early, he could get off early. "Well, dear oh Journal of mine, what do I have to do today?" Vanitas asked, opening up the Journal...only to find it empty. "...huh?" He looked at the Journal, flipping it around to make sure that he was holding the right one, before flipping through the pages. Not a single entry. They were all just...gone. "That's...odd." Vanitas said, narrowing his eyes. This was his Journal. He knew it was. There was none other like it in this household. Besides, the feeling he felt towards it was the same. It was just...empty. He closed it, looking at the cover curiously. "So...I'm taking that as a sign that you're angry at me?" Vanitas asked. Of course, the Journal didn't answer. He shrugged. "Fine fine. Free day for me I guess. This relationship would be easier if you'd answer my questions, though." Vanitas hummed, getting the Journal away to the safety of his vest pocket. He ate a light breakfast before heading straight down to the forge, beginning to light up the fire and heat it real nice for another day's work.

Jynn woke up early as well. He prepared himself for the day with his usual routine, getting dressed, eating, and then feeding Mel. He reaches the shack where his journalis and reads the entry. Take Mel to the town, to the sheriff. Make a choice. Make a choice? What choice. Jynn violently closes the journal. "Can't be specific huh? Damn journal." He puts a halter on Mel's face. "We need to get you another shoe." He leads the horse to the blacksmith, witch was not far from his house. It appears the shop was open, and Jynn did not hesitate to wait, as he wanted the job to be done with before doing what his journal wants him to. He notices one of the workers already firing up the furnace, it was Vanitas. Jynn has been a long time customer of his, especially since Mel's shoes were always done here, and even Jynn's sword was forged here. Jynn happily greets him. "Hey Vanitas."

-DAY TWO-

~James Harper~

James found himself waking up earlier than usual today- the sun wasn't on the west side of the library this time. Perhaps it was because he went to bed so early after having woken up so late. He looked beside him, at the cabinet containing the Journal. He wasn't sure if he should open it today- but knew that he had to if he didn't want to be... well, whatever happened to that other guy. He pushed himself up, noticing he fell asleep in the clothes he wore yesterday.

I might as well wear these again today.

James grabbed his Journal and carried it with him as he did his morning ritual. Bathroom, make bed, brush hair. He grabbed the extra books he took from the library the previous evening and began delving into it.

Supposedly, the creatures are driven by righteousness. Let's say, they could sense when someone was being bad- disobedient. In fact, theoretically, let's say that every time the rules are ignored, their hunger grows. The more the rules are ignored, the closer the creatures are to attacking the disobedient ones. Of course, this is all rhetoric.

It could be possible that these creatures simply don't have a mind, but I don't believe that. I've seen them.

The entry ended, followed by a lot of blank pages. However, soon enough, another entry was found, looking much more dismaying.

Supposedly. Theoretically. Rhetoric. Nonsense. These creatures are here. The Keepers. Everything I've said is accurate- but there's more. Terrifying strength in their legs- and some sort of stealth reflex. They somehow got into my house without me hearing even a door or window. Why do they wait? I can see them. The know I can. Why haven't they attacked? You wouldn't think blue eyes could be so terrifying. That huffing... the huffing is constant. I've been losing sleep. Today, I woke up with them standing beside my bed, looking into my chest- as if they could see right to my heart. Maybe they can.

More blanks. Another entry.

I've been ignoring the Journal. Ever since I saw them the first time, I've been obedient. Today, I neglected to read, and I'm suffering dearly. I'm hiding this book in the library- maybe one day it'll help someone else. Maybe it'll teach them not to ignore the rules. This may be the end of me. Goodbye.

James threw the book down. He quickly grabbed his Journal out of fear. He didn't want to see these creatures. he didn't want the torture of no sleep- of no escape from the fate he knew was coming. He would be obedient. He would be. He had to be.

He opened his Journal, and read the entry.

Kill Vanitas.

=JOURNAL ENTRIES=

Vanitas: Your journal is completely blank. Even old entries have been erased.

Aya: Follow the black haired boy and the Librarian. Do not be seen. Ignore all chores and work.

James: Kill Vanitas.

Fennel: Join Genesis and Elizabeth.

Elizabeth: Join Genesis and Fennel

Genesis: Go to the playhouse with a set of matches. Allow your friends to join you.

Veran: Go to the woods after dark. Once you see what you've been sent, return home.

Jynn: Take Mel to town, to the sheriff. Make a choice.

Vincent: Head to the lake and make the discovery.

(Sorry if I missed anyone! Let me know if I did.)

You forgot me.

Vanitas set up some of the requests to fix for the day, summoning up his Unversed to help out. "Hey, help me out with the fire, would you?" Vanitas asked one of them. The Unversed hurried over, beginning to jump up and down on the bellow to keep the fire going strong as the other two sorted the stuff in the box. At the sound of a new voice, two of the Unversed hid in the box, as the third one kept jumping while hiding behind the giant forge. Vanitas perked up at the mention of his name, smiling as he saw James and Mel. "Hey, Jynn! Morning!" Vanitas said, stepping away from the fire as he walked up to him. He cooed at Mel. "Good morning to you too, Mel." Vanitas said. His eyes quickly scanned Mel, specifically the legs. It didn't take long to notice a single horseshoe missing from its hoof. "It looks like Mel turned into a Cinderella. What kind of trouble were you causing to have that come off?" Vanitas chuckled, looking up at Jynn. "I'm guessing you need a quick horseshoe for Mel here. I already have Mel's size on record, I should be able to fix one right up. Need anything else today?" Vanitas asked cheerfully. "The old man is taking the afternoon shift today, so if you have any messages for him I'll have to write them down for him later on."

- Vincent - The Dragonkin - 

-The day before -

Vincent smiled at Fennel's replies, "I do appreciate your frequent visits, its good to have friendly faces around." Vincent spoke to her as he walked off to prepare her beverages and food. Making the drink she always asks for. And as for the surprise food, he prepared a serving of jerky with mashed potatoes and rice on the side of it. Tempered and cooked to near perfection. He hoped she liked it.

After everything was done and the night passed. it was time to close the tavern off, as the customers left, and after he locked the door he undressed his shirt and walked off to bed. Allowing his body to take on the form of a half dragon, with scales covering his skin. scales tough was the best steel there was. It was pleasant to relax and let the disguise go after a bit. He quickly drifted to sleep.

- The Present day - 

VIncent rolled out of bed, half asleep, as it was time to wake up, his internal clock forcing him awake, and his custom making him pick up the journal from his drawer. As he began to read the journal entry for the day a eyebrow slowly rose on his face.

"The lake...does this town even have a lake?" Vincent asked. "Come to think of it I do have common fishermen as customers." He muttered to himself. 'Make a discovery' this part intrigued him as to its meaning. What would he find in there? a pleasant surprise? something new? or something bad and possibly threatening? He didn't know, he always had these lingering doubts.

He passed by as one of his waitressess who helped him in the tavern as just entering and preparing herself. He had just buttoned up his shirt as he walked towards her. "Open up soon. I'l be gone until the evening, I think." Vincent told her, with a sympathetic tone.

"Why?" The Waitresses asked him, curious.

"Journal" Vincent replied with a small smile, as he raised the journal in his hands from his back pocket. 

"Oh, I see. Alright." The waitress repleid as Vincent quickly left. To find this lake.

- Fennel, the day before -

The girl smiled bubbly at the kind words of the innkeeper and watched him walk off.  Vincent was such a great guy in her eyes, as presumptuous as the thought seemed after only seeing him in a working environment.  She sometimes hated to admit it, but she had some manner of little-girl crush on him, even at the age of twenty-three.

By the time he came back, she managed to complete three pages of sketches, and her charcoal was nearly spent.  The food and drink that awaited her was well worth the light wait, and the aromas of the surprise food and the tea blended together wonderfully.  With a very grateful thank-you, she reached for a fork before she reached for her drink.  This was a first for her, and later that night she realised this before heading off to bed and soundly sleeping.

- Fennel -

The next morning started bright and early once again, and this time Fennel was not going to take any chances, starting the day with a visitation to her Journal.  What awaited her surprised her.  "Join Genesis and Elizabeth"?  What an odd journal entry, and she pondered over the names.

I know only of two Elizabeths in the town, and they are mother and daughter.  What was the daughter's first name?  That's right.  Ava.  Could it be that I have to meet with the mother and this Genesis fellow?

She looked at the entry, perplexed, before closing the book shut and placing it in a satchel.  It was time to start her day.

Later after a hearty breakfast, Fennel took her usual route to perform some gardening for a rather prestigious family in an equally prestigious house.  Some people were out and about in town abnormally early, but she caught no sight of anyone she really recognised, especially not Elizabeth or Ava.  Genesis . . . well, she will have to wait to meet him.  Occasionally she popped her head above the fence every now and again.  She had to find those people she needed to accompany.

Edited by Vaude

Jynn ties Mel to a poll to keep him still during the visit. Vanitas welcomes him and examines Mel's hoof. Jynn laughs after hearing that Mel seemed to have a Cinderella situation, but the he stopped laughing and crosses his arms. "Well, we were suddenly attacked by some strange creatures. They were bipedal, and they seem to speak our language. I was too interested in Mel's safety that I didn't really care about what they said." He sighs. He does not hide his suspicion supporting the idea that the Journal might have been connected to them. "I wonder if they are connected to the Journal in any way." He looks back at Vanitas. "Sorry. I'm just rambling at this point. But yea, I just need a new shoe for him."

Vanitas narrowed his eyes. "They spoke?" He asked. He had never heard of anything so strange before, from anyone. The most he could think about would be from the books on witchcraft and myths that spoke of werewolves and that kind of stuff. But they couldn't possibly be real...could they? "I'm glad that you two made it out unscathed. Maybe you should report them to the sheriff. That way he could send some of his guys or hunters to check around the area and see if they can find them." Vanitas said, sighing a bit as he strapped on an apron and gloves. There was already melted metal from last night, he would go ahead and use that. He perked his head up at the suggestion that it was the Journal that could have been involved, sending unsuspecting chills down Vanitas' spine. "(Could my meddling have been involved?)" Vanitas thought, quickly shaking his head as he strapped on the metal face protector. "The Journal, huh? Those things are pretty curious, aren't they? In fact, I've been starting to search around the library along with James to see if we could uncover anything involving the Journal. We found some stuff in some books but...nothing we can prove, you know? Could just be random poetry with no relation whatsoever." Vanitas shrugged, pulling out a pre-made mold with Mel's name carved on it. He opened the door to the fire, reaching in with metal pincers and pulling out a glowing container of molten metal. He gently poured the molten metal into the mold. Once it was full, he used the pincers to pick up the mold and dip it into the bucket of water, steam hissing up into the air the moment it touched it. "Actually, I think my snooping around trying to find stuff out about the Journal made mine angry at me. It didn't gave me an entry today, and it erased all of my previous entries. Then again, if it actually talked back to me maybe I wouldn't have to struggle so much to find stuff out about it." Vanitas spoke, shrugging as he pulled the mold back out. Once it was cooled down enough, Vanitas used a hammer and blade to hammer the mold apart and back in half. The block fell into two, releasing the molded horseshoe out. He got the mold pieces away before picking up the horseshoe with the pincers and shoving it into the fire for a few moments. He hummed as he pulled the horseshoe back and walked over to the anvil, where he began to hammer the horseshoe into a smoother state. He created a few standard holes and carved into it. He cooled it in the water one more time before pulling it back out and using a metal nail to smooth out the last rough edges. He removed his mask and picked up a few nails from one of the many containers, along with his hammer and walked over towards Mel. "Alright, Mel. I'll make it as quick as possible." Vanitas hummed, holding the nails with his teeth before taking a hold of Mel's hoof, pulling it up as he place the horseshoe into position. He quickly hammered the horseshoe on Mel's hoof, careful to not hurt Mel as he did. Once he was done, he let go of Mel and stepped away with his hammer, smiling. "There we go. How does it feel, buddy?" Vanitas asked as he pulled away, getting the hammer back on the nearest surface. "You're all ready to go, buddy. Standard 5 silver coins, if you'd please." Vanitas said. "Really though, you should tell the Sheriff or something. Maybe other people have seen them too."

((So sorry to have confused everyone with my Keepers post! They didn't speak :( It was sort of an inner monologue they were having. I'm so sorry!))

Scene: Lake.

Among the trees and pristine waters of the lake, there seemed to be an uneasy silence. There were no wildlife except a batch of wolves who were wearily circling the shore of the lake, but why?

Bodies. Who know how many. Bodies lined up against the shore of the lake, seeming to have been taken adrift via the river leading from the ocean. These wolves were wanting to devour these remains sent to drift- but would be startled at any sense of life.

A sheriff by the name of Gumshoe had been there earlier in the morning to inspect during his usual rounds- but soon found himself victim to a stranger death than that of the shore-lined bodies. His remains were stringed among the trees.

~James Harper~

Kill Vanitas. Those words echoed true in James' being- did he read it right? He checked again and again, frantically trying to find a different way to interpret what the Journal was asking of him- but to no avail. The Journal wanted Vanitas dead, and it wanted James to be the one to do it.

Why him? Was it because he never ignored the journal before? And why Vanitas? What has he done?

Is it because he was researching the Journal?

James was more scared now than ever to ignore the Journal- but he couldn't kill, could he? Especially not someone who he considered a friend.

James stopped walking, realizing he had made it to the middle of the town- he could see Vanitas now, talking to a man James had seen around before. He was hesitant, but decided he needed to do what must be done. Walking over to the Blacksmiths, James kept his head low and his nervousness high.

"Vanitas, we need to talk."

Vanitas looked up to see James. He quickly smiled and waved at him. "Morning, James! Finally out of the library. Need something fixed?" Vanitas asked. However as James approached, Vanitas began to notice the change from yesterday. His head was low, a frown on his face as the sense of anxiety bore on his shoulders and overall presence. His tone was serious, too, with a hint of fear. Did something happen? "Hey, sure. Give me a moment." Vanitas said as he removed his gloves and tossed them to the side, smiling at Jynn. "I'll see you around, Jynn. You too, Mel. Be careful the both of you out there." Vanitas said, shaking Jynn's hand before turning to James, pulling him aside a bit. "Hey, what's up? Did something happen? Was it a weird creature? Jynn told me he and Mel encountered some dangerous creatures last night." He paused, looking at Jynn. "Or...is it about the Journal?"

- Vincent - The Dragonkin - Horror at the Lake -

"Now where is that discovery..." Vincent grumbingly muttered to himself as he finally arrived at the lake. He had his eyes on the map of the city he bought off a street merchant. So far it seemed like he was on the right track.

As he finally arrived he slowly pulled his head up with a frown as he noticed what the discovery was, a pile of corpses all strown about in the shore of the lake, and someone's remains spread out accross the trees. "Oh". Vincent reacted. He smelled something else...aside from the blood. "Wolves". Vincent spoke, with a snarl and a fang growing from his teeth, becoming visible, only slitght under his mouth. 

He didn't really care much if the wolves spotted him. Wolves would have a massively hard time piercing his dragon skin anyway. He figured he'd surprise them somehow, going straight at one, breaking into a sprint and throwing a powerful kick. with his enhanced strenght, he was aiming to throw the wolf straight into the middle of the lake. If it worked he would simply turn to the other wolves and amplify his aura, enough for the wolves to feel the intense pressure of it. He wasn't getting anything dow with these wolves here.

Stealth wasn't an option, Dragons smelled very unique to those who could sense it. Even his aura was different, hell, if he focused more on his magical aura he could downright scare these wolves away with the sheer pressure a dragon's aura brings. Though that would make anybody in the vicinity with a tint of magic ability able to sense it as well.

--Genesis--

The day was still young when Genesis threw together his satchel, preparing for a day out on the town.  He didn't have to be at the library by a set time, and thus felt like a good walk down the cobblestone streets of town would do him some good.  Even still, it seemed like a good idea for him to consult with his journal first.  Sometimes he didn't see how his daily activities aided his happiness, but he had a strange sense of dependency on it.  He didn't want to find out what would happen if he failed to observe any of its commands.

He carefully opened the journal's cover and flipped to the most recent page.  Sure enough fresh writing was upon the parchment, reading the following:

Go to the playhouse with a set of matches. Allow your friends to join you.

"I don't have any friends," Genesis thought bitterly, snapping his journal shut and cramming it into his satchel.  The servant and his friend couldn't be considered friends of his.  They barely exchanged dialogue.  Genesis was also . . . unusual, and perhaps difficult to get along with.  He'd never had friends from the time that he could remember, so suddenly having friends join him at the playhouse seemed decidedly odd.  Despite the oddity of the request, however, Genesis packed himself a box of matches and decided that his first stop would be the playhouse.  Perhaps he could sit in on a play, or at the very least get caught up on some reading.

He left his home and started on his way, hands in his pockets and satchel over his shoulder, down several streets and on his way to the playhouse.

THE LAKE

The lake was soon occupied by police- they were able to identify the dead.

Sheriff Gumshoe

A plumber who was called Wui

Soar the boat constructor

Shady, the local poet

Mari, a young woman who was recently diagnosed with a cancer.

Ryk, a captain

With this evidence- they were able to identify the cause. The lighthouse's light had gone out sometime near sunset the previous evening. This ship was meant to return that night, but crashed into the shore instead. The bodies were caught in the current of the river leading into the lake, and thus emerged there.

As for the Sheriff, the cause of death is still unknown- but the police are blaming a half-animal citizen with an unknown identity. They will be on the alert for any half citizens.

~James Harper~

"...sort of, yeah." James shuffled his feet at he was joined by Vanitas, his friend. His friend.

James pulled out his Journal, flipping the pages to the most recent entry. He wasn't ready to tell Vanitas, but he knew it would be brought up eventually. He sorrowfully plunged his head behind the book, lifting it up to show Vanitas the page.

Kill Vanitas.

"The Journal wants you dead. I don't want to kill you. I don't know what to do- I don't want those creatures after me, but I can't kill anyone. I never could. Ever." James began to stutter, his words clouding as tears began to fill his eyes. He was terrified of what would happen now- he's disobeying the Journal for the first time- he felt lost.

"I've always had this guiding hand- I don't know what to do now."

Edited by Shard the Gentleman

Vanitas blinked a few times as he stared at the page. Kill Vanitas. Whatever the Journals were, or whoever was in charge of them, now wanted him dead, and James out of all people was the assigned hitman...well, shit. Vanitas dropped the hammer from his hand, the heavy tool hitting the ground with a defining thud. Kill Vanitas. Kill Vanitas. Kill Vanitas. It finally sunk in after rereading it for the 6th time. "Holy shit." Vanitas whispered, narrowing his eyes as he grabbed the Journal. It was clear as day. "(That actually explains-!)" He thought, shivers suddenly running down his spine. It was connected to his journal. "(It's definitely them.)" He thought. He looked up at James, who already had tears running down his face. Vanitas you idiot, you really messed up this time. Vanitas stepped forward, quickly getting a hold of James' shoulders. "James, listen to me. No one is going to get you or hurt you. I was the one who dragged you into this mess, and over my dead body would I let you pay for my mistake." Vanitas hissed. Yes, he wanted to know more of the journal. He was willing to take the risk for such knowledge. But not if it involved other people! He was ready to take on the consequences... without realizing that he had ended up dragging James right into the middle. "My Journal is blank, James. It has no entry, and it has erased every single entry it ever had before. It's empty. Speaking out the obvious, it means that this is connected. Something is in charge of the Journals, and did not liked that we began to sniff stuff out." Vanitas bit his bottom lip, what could they do? They were just mortal beings able to do...nothing against...what? A god? Who knew. They wanted him dead. He could always become a martyr and kill himself. That should fix the problem and return everyone back to a relatively normal life that they once lived. Or...they could fight back. "They want me dead...very well." Vanitas said, looking at James. "We have two options now. Either we go through with it and I die...or we fight back. I mean, I think we can fake my own death. Can we even trick them? They know everything we've done so far as it is. But if they think that you went through with it, even when I survive, they should end up leaving you alone and move on to the next person. Our other option is to hit them where it hurts, and tell everyone in this town the information we found." Vanitas paused, gently letting go of James. "I already dragged you into this mess, I don't want to drag you further in. But the fact that our Journals have taken such a drastic turn only after what we found out should give us enough probability. Best case scenario, they consider our findings, and whatever is messing with us is forced to either leave us alone or push further. Worst case scenario...they think I'm crazy and will kill me because that's what your Journal insists on what it has to happen." He sighed. By this point the Unversed had come out of hiding to curl themselves up against Vanitas' legs. "I'm so sorry, James. I didn't think this would...go this far."

- Fennel, walking towards Ava's house -

Fennel pondered over her Journal entry as she worked, so much so that she did not accomplish as much as she had hoped during the time she had allotted to the garden.  There were so many small things to achieve that she overlooked, all of which detracted from an amazingly refined beauty.  Buds and wilted flowers had to be snipped or brought to full bloom.  Leaves had to be healed of the bites of aphids and other herbivorous insects.  Stray strands of greenery needed to be trimmed, and it was approaching midday.  She breathed out a sigh and decided against continuing.  All this waiting and checking did not help her nerves, especially with how vague the Journal was.  Perhaps it was best to plod her way to Ava and her mother's house to make a proper attempt of following the entry.

Packing everything up, she ventured to the familial estate of the two, hesitating at the door when she was about to knock.  What would she say once somebody opened the door?  That she was here to meet Ava's mom and a mystery man?  What if it was Ava it meant?  She frowned and shook her head.  She was no good at these social calls, especially when forced into it with so little understanding of the matter.  With a shallow breath of reluctance, she performed a rat-a-tat-tat on the front door and waited.  Words, she assumed, will come to her.  Even if it came out botched, it could not be that bad . . . right?

Jynn took Vanitas's advice about sharing the incident with the sheriff. "I will make sure to tell them too. Thanks." Vanitas finishes putting Mel's new shoe on and then states the price. Jynn pays him with the suggested amount, and tips him with a quarter sized gold coin. "That's for helping me in your early hours." Just then, another man, James, pulls Vanitas to the side. He was acting strange while doing so, not even saying a word to Jynn.

Jynn overheard what James and Vanitas were talking about and decides to interject. "If this conversation has something to do with the Journal, then count me in." Jynn doesn't react to the Unversed curled up to Vanitas.

Aya

Follow the black-haired boy and the librarian. Do not be seen. Ignore all chores and work.

Aya stared at the following Journal entry. She shut her mouth and thought long and hard. Following people around wasn't the problem. It was the fact she had to ignore all chores and work. She was going to have to sneak out of her house. Thankfully, she had awoken earlier than her mother and father this morning. Aya hesitantly put on her jacket, opening her bedroom door and rushing down the stairs. She quietly opened the door, and ran outside, not letting a soul know where she was going because she honestly did not know. 

Upon carefully looking around the town, pondering who the heck she should be following, she caught the blur of a black-haired man passing by her, paying no heed. She quickly turned a corner and stayed there for a second until the black haired boy was a little aways from him...and then slowly started to follow the man, and stopping a little aways from where he stopped. Classical sneaking. Careful sneaking. Just barely being able to listen in, she knew whatever conversation the two were having was tense. 

Veran/Elizabeth Everus

Go to the woods after dark. Once you have seen what you've been sent, return home. 

"...Eh?" Veran kept flipping back and forth the pages, making sure he was reading the correct entry. 

What has he been sent? The anticipation was going to kill him. Figuratively. 

Trying to put that thought to the side, Veran crawled through his first stop working, but things changed once he reached the Everus household. 

First of all, there was someone at the door, whom Elizabeth was talking too.

Second of all, Veran could tell something was off already, just could feel it.

"Ah! Veran!" Elizabeth waved over to the servant and he approached the lady of the house. 

Veran walked a little quickly to Elizabeth. 

"Have you seen Aya, Veran? She has been gone since this morning. Nobody in the manor knows where she is." 

"She's gone?" this was a generally surprising thing. 

It was unlike Aya at all to leave without telling someone. It must have been something with her journal. 

"May we help you, ma'am?" Veran said this in a little bit of a rude tone, worried suddenly at the disappearance of Aya and loosing his calm tone upon seeing this stranger at the Everus door. 

- Vincent - The Dragonkin - Lake -

After taking care of the wolves, by scaring a few and breaking a few's necks and throwing the bodies in the river as well. He hid as the authorities began to arrive and check the area, like this he was able to eavesdrop on them by staying very quiet, hiding on some bushes, hiding his presence, making sure they were unable to see him. 

'The sheriff is dead, his limbs spread accross the trees, he must have arrived at the worst possible time here, Wui, never heard of this guy, Soar, heard he built boats, then again never saw him, Shady, local poet, shady just like his name, Mari, she went to my tavern once, poor girl had cancer, and a captain, Ryk, never heard of him either.' Vincent thought as he began to stealthily make his leave. 

'Why did the Journal brought me here, was it hoping i'd find what did all that there? or was it hoping i'd die?" Vincent asked himself as he managed to get far enough away from the authorities. He pulled out his journal from his back pocket and opened it to the entry of today.

"Alright, i've discovered what you wanted, almost got caught and arrested too, now i'd appreciate if you could tell me what that was all about..."  Vincent spoke to his journal, he was aware talking to a lifeless book sounded crazy, but hey, he had nothing to do on the way back. 

"What a waste of a perfectly good day." Vincent spoke, putitng his journal back in his pocket, and sighing.

Edited by Scrapmaster

- Fennel -

The lady gardener patted down her dress as the butler of the house arrived onto the premises, sharp, angular features befitting the bite of his tongue.  She fumbled for words to answer his question, but came up with some.

"I don't need help.  I just came to visit," Fennel responded nervously, though this was not entirely true.  Realising this as she glanced back to the lady Elizabeth, she decided to rephrase things, biting down on her thumb lightly as she spoke.  "Well, actually . . . maybe so.  I was supposed to meet up with either of the ladies of the household -- if I remember right, your daughter is an Elizabeth and the name specified was Elizabeth -- and a man named Genesis.  Does . . . that name sound familiar at all to you two?  It's all right if you don't.  Lady Aya takes precedence to my request, of course, and if I can aid you in your search, please tell.  I would be happy to assist!"

Like Fennel feared, she felt anxiety gnaw at her actions and words, but nothing could restrain her fervour for wanting to help.  Her hands locked together in front of her as she bowed her head honorably to Elizabeth.

Veran heeded Fennel's words carefully. This woman must have been a journal owner as well. That would make four people, including himself. 

"I know of a man named Genesis. If you help me find Aya...I am sure she will meet up with you." Veran agreed to help, if this woman was a journal owner, he understood. 

"Lady Elizabeth, me and this young lady will find Aya for you. Please trust us." Veran bowed his head to Lady Everus. 

"Oh Veran you know I trust you. Please get her back here safe." she grabbed Veran's hands and wished him luck before exiting back into her household, leaving Veran and Fennel outside.

"What's your name....journal owner?" he asked sharply, peeking his journal to the girl. 

Vanitas looked up at Jynn, deciding that he wanted to be part of the situation, despite James and him trying to be all sneaky about it. Clearly didn't work as it should have. The Unversed at Vanitas' feet only seemed to grip him tighter as he grabbed Jynn's arm and pulled him over to the conversation. "Jynn...I am going to warn you right now, James and I got ourselves into some...pretty serious stuff with the Journals. Well...I did and I ended up dragging James along for the ride..." Vanitas said, smiling weakly. If Jynn wanted to know, Vanitas wouldn't waist the chance. If something terrible were to happen, at least someone besides himself and James would know something was wrong. Besides, there is strength in numbers. "So, I wanted to check out some history of the Journals, like where they come from or who made them, right? So I went to the library and James and I began to look for information and..." Vanitas paused, gulping. "We found some pretty disturbing stuff. About other people who had discovered something odd about the Journals as well. About seeing these things that they call Seekers. Now it's day two and James' Journal is asking him to kill me and my Journal is completely blank!" Vanitas said, showing Jynn James' Journal entry all while trying to keep himself from panicking. Everything went downhill so fast...even while trying to keep himself composed, the worry was still there. "So yeah...we have that dilemma...now I'm just figuring out if we should tell everyone or if I should fake my own death...haha."

- Fennel -

As Elizabeth slipped back indoors, Fennel uttered a small take-care under her breath.  A small gasp of surprise emitted from her when she turned back to the butler and saw the slightest semblance of a book coming from his person.  This man -- he had a Journal too, and he correctly guessed that she also had one?  Perhaps these Journals were as commonplace as she had imagined them to be, though she had found no evidence that proved otherwise.  Perhaps she should visit the library sometime, just to see if she can find anything about this small question of hers.

"Fennel, Fennel Gusset," she responded almost automatically, even through her shock.  "You . . . have a Journal too, though I think it best that I ask about this later.  Miss Ava is missing, after all, and something feels . . . off today, doesn't it?  My entry seemed unusually indirect, or more so than the norm."

She bit her lip, a little panicked by the thought that this stranger she just met might look at her funny and dismiss her then and there, but then again Veran did seem stuck with her, saying that they will find Ava.

"Where's the first spot we should look, or should we split up and reunite somewhere, like outside this house?  While I've seen Lady Ava in passing, I do not know the first thing about her beyond her name and where she works.  Actually, she wouldn't be working now, would she?  If she has a key, maybe she's at that clothing boutique and just gave you and her mother a jumpstart as well as a start."

That is very odd. James' Journal wants Vanitas dead after the meeting between the two yesterday. Jynn uses this to come up with a hypothesis. "Hmm. The way you word it makes me think that these Journals are reacting to our daily actions. Yesterday, I was asked to double check the gates leading to the woods. At the same time, I spent a lot of time on my horse, and today it's asking me to take my horse with me to the sheriff's and 'make a choice'. I think in your case, prehaps whatever is behind the Journal did not like you trying to learn about its secrets." Vanitas comes up with two solutions. One, James actually heeds the Journal's instructions and kills Vanitas, or Vanitas fakes his death. Jynn didn't like either idea. He takes a minute to come up with his own solution. After a few minutes, he finally comes up with a plan. "No, don't tell the public, yet." He folds his arms. "James, ignore any entries involving murder." He pauses for a bit. "For today, we should stick to our usual routines. Then, we should meet here and see what develops overnight." He unfolds his arms. "Tomorrow, we should try to search for other Journal users and gather information." He faces the two with a serious looks. "Does anyone have objections?"