Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Dio Brando

Video games Report:Square Enix abandoned all of CyberConnect 2’s work on FFVII Remake and started fresh

[uPDATE 2] –Dan Tsukasa’s ArtStation has also been deleted. [uPDATE] – At the time of writing, Dan Tsukasa’s Twitter and Reddit accounts appear to have been deleted.

We’re all very excited that the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development is moving ahead. When it was first announced at E3 2015, it was like Christmas had come early, but Christmas is starting to seem like it may never come.

The Final Fantasy 7 Remake development cycle seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time. Everything we’ve heard from Square Enix suggests that this is not a simple remaster, but an entire remake and that it’s going to be a very different game. 

However, the lack of information we’ve received and the time between announcements is starting to suggest that things aren’t all going rosy. Now, there are reports that the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development has been troubled. Maybe even involving a complete abandonment of all work at one point.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Development Woes

ff7-remake-powerup.png?resize=1440%2C809

The issues with Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s development are apparently due to Square Enix abandoning all work completed by CyberConnect 2 and restarting from scratch.

Square Enix partnered with CyberConnect 2 for assistance with the action gameplay and video quality. However, in 2017 development shifted back to Square Enix internally and ceased to be a cooperative production.

Report this ad
small-dd798fdf2451742a7f2a814cbed52a99fe

With a change like this, it’s expected that there will be delays as staff are caught up on the project and work is transferred, but according to one source, the delay was much more significant. 

Dan Tsukasa is a game designer, living and working in Japan. In a recent Reddit threaddiscussing the Remake’s Art Director’s comments, Tsuka posted some eye-opening comments. 

Final Fantasy 7 Remake in Trouble?

ff7-remake-powerup-1.jpg?resize=760%2C42

Tsuka wrote that Square Enix doesn’t “have 4 years of work, [it has] 2.” He explains that Square Enix didn’t take CyberConnect 2’s two years of work on the Remake and continue, rather Square Enix “started it again because cyber connects(sic) work was just so useless and not far enough along.”

Tsuka also claims that CyberConnect 2’s work on Final Fantasy 7 Remake was “unusable.”

When has a company taking work away from another company ever been a positive sign of things? I 
know
 CyberConnect’s work was unusable, I’ve worked with them before, i know their level.

And I know they outsourced to hell and back in order to get things to the point we saw them publicly, and it still wasn’t enough to save them.

Report this ad

When questioned about his knowledge of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake development cycle and whether he was simply speculating, Tsuka said;

I’m not speculating though. I’ve worked with these people and know people working still at both Square and CC2, I’m explaining what happened from what I know.

It doesn’t sound ideal

ff7-remake-powerup-2.png?resize=980%2C41

Other Reddit users pressed Tsuka on his knowledge, asking him if he knew people who were actively working on the development.

Yup, its the game industry in Tokyo, Square’s so large its 
 to meet someone who doesn’t know anyone there.

I’m unsure how to prove it though, I can’t get into any issues by saying what I’ve heard, or what’s common knowledge in the industry here (the common knowledge being that the project was taken from CC2 because it was so behind schedule), but if I were to name anyone working there, they’d get into trouble for sharing information, the same way I’d get into trouble if I shared information about where I work.

So with that said, I can only prove I work in the game industry in Japan, can’t prove who I do and don’t know.

Report this ad

It seems odd that a developer actively working in Japan would make up misinformation so publicly. It’s also a rather detailed story to be a simple troll, though it’s always a possibility. 

That being said, everything that Tsuka claims sounds plausible and lines up with established facts. If what he says is true, that means that after two years of cooperative development with CyberConnect 2, Square Enix pulled the plug and brought development to its internal teams.

By discarding two years of work and starting again, the entire development of Final Fantasy 7 Remake would have been massively set back. Which means we’ll all be waiting even longer to get to play it.

For now, Tsuka’s comments and what happened on Final Fantasy 7 Remake remains speculation, though I wouldn’t expect to be playing it any time soon.

Source: https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/26/final-fantasy-7-remake-development-delays/

Mmmhmm.Sounds like a Nomura project alright.

Which means absolutely firetrucking nothing was achieved since the game's announcement in 2015 and Square didn't learn their lesson from FF15 despite claiming otherwise.

Pretty much the moral of the story is this:

1/Don't announce your goddamn project too early without any sort of deadline in mind

2/Speaking of Deadlines,if you're gonna let Nomura work on something FF related ever again after this.....PUT HIM UNDER A GODDAMN DEADLINE FOR ONCE SO HE WON'T TAKE A DECADE ON ONE firetruckING GAME LIKE WHAT HAPPENED WITH FF15.

And 3/HAVE A DIRECTOR BE IN CHARGE OF ONE PROJECT....NOT A BAJILLION ONES AT THE SAME TIME

I firetrucking hate Square Enix nowadays I swear

Man VS13 really did a number of Nomura's reputation despite having no other problematic development stories at all. KH3 they had to change engine and Square Enix had him announce it too early

now everyone thinks he's some incompetent developer that can't get games out the door

Source: https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/26/final-fantasy-7-remake-development-delays/

Which means absolutely firetrucking nothing was achieved since the game's announcement in 2015 and Square didn't learn their lesson from FF15 despite claiming otherwise.

[...]

While it is true that "Versus XIII" did take a long time with Nomura as the director, everyone should understand that at that time he was working on multiple projects at the same time. That is also the reason on why the game was always heading nowhere (no direction thanks to director with no time). The (legendary) FFXV development-hell started mostly after the name change/director change.

I think if Nomura had the time to focus on just FF Versus XIII, this game would've be a really great game.

[...]

1/Don't announce your goddamn project too early without any sort of deadline in mind

2/Speaking of Deadlines,if you're gonna let Nomura work on something FF related ever again after this.....PUT HIM UNDER A GODDAMN DEADLINE FOR ONCE SO HE WON'T TAKE A DECADE ON ONE firetruckING GAME LIKE WHAT HAPPENED WITH FF15.

And 3/HAVE A DIRECTOR BE IN CHARGE OF ONE PROJECT....NOT A BAJILLION ONES AT THE SAME TIME

KH3 was too early announced because Nomura felt like beeing under pressure. This is because the fans (us) desperatly wanted KH3. FF7R was too early announced because SE wanted the game to be announced (it's NOT Nomuras fault).

Nomura is actually making his own deadlines and is trying to keep it but he can't help it. If SE is saying to do multiple things at once he has to do it. For example KH2.8 would have been done and released on time but the team of FFXV needed help on their game, so they would not need to push it further back.

If anyone still thinks he never keeps deadlines, please give me some examples (Versus XIII and XV do not count for obvious reasons).

I've read or heard somewehre that FF7R was first developed under CC2 (the first 2 years or something) and because SE didn't like where the game was going, they abandoned CC2 and their work. So SE is actually working on it for about 2 years - not 4-5 years. And if I'm right, SE kinda tricked Nomura on becoming the director.

Dang, this is one jarbled mess of a situation! It seems as though FFVII Remake is facing more problems than not! It's too bad, since the game is highly anticipated by everyone!

I'm playing through the original version now, and if I'm already amazed by this game in it's PS1 format, I can only imagine the remake would look even more amazing! But well, we shall have to see how this goes further down the line, ya know?

I've read about this... I don't know if this info is legit or not.

If it is legit, I just hope two things....

1. I hope things goes well with the development of this game.

2. I hope they don't put Nomura out, just like XV. If they do, I'll be so upset!    

I'm getting some weird flashbacks from years ago with this.

Let's just hope FFVII Remake doesn't take as long as XV. Even when it's only going to be Volume 1 of who knows how many volumes.

Sqaue enix: look at our new trailer for final fantasy 16 in 2019!

Me: cant wait for it to come out in 2023

While it is true that "Versus XIII" did take a long time with Nomura as the director, everyone should understand that at that time he was working on multiple projects at the same time. That is also the reason on why the game was always heading nowhere (no direction thanks to director with no time). The (legendary) FFXV development-hell started mostly after the name change/director change.

I think if Nomura had the time to focus on just FF Versus XIII, this game would've be a really great game.

KH3 was too early announced because Nomura felt like beeing under pressure. This is because the fans (us) desperatly wanted KH3. FF7R was too early announced because SE wanted the game to be announced (it's NOT Nomuras fault).

Nomura is actually making his own deadlines and is trying to keep it but he can't help it. If SE is saying to do multiple things at once he has to do it. For example KH2.8 would have been done and released on time but the team of FFXV needed help on their game, so they would not need to push it further back.

If anyone still thinks he never keeps deadlines, please give me some examples (Versus XIII and XV do not count for obvious reasons).

I've read or heard somewehre that FF7R was first developed under CC2 (the first 2 years or something) and because SE didn't like where the game was going, they abandoned CC2 and their work. So SE is actually working on it for about 2 years - not 4-5 years. And if I'm right, SE kinda tricked Nomura on becoming the director.

Its interesting to hear how nomura works and it is true that the fans have been pressuring him a lot but if i were him i would do it just do what activisiom blizzard does when someone asks about a new world of warcraft "when its done" on the other hand kingdom Hearts 3 has reached almost half life 3 levels of a waiting period so to come out and clearly say it is in development was probably the most wise decision. Plus Development means Development it could have also been another ten or thirteen years (which would have been a really ironic number) after all finding nemo and finding dory had a similar making phase between them and videogames are now at a point that they are even more difficult to make than a lot of big studio animation films

Welp, can't say I'm surprised. This is pretty much Final Fantasy Versus XIII all over again as far as I can tell. I won't be surprised if all the episodes for FF7 Remake end up being on the Playstation 5 just like how Versus XIII was originally going to be on PS3 but ended up on PS4 instead because of how bad development for it was. This is what I hate about Square-Enix. They always announce their next, big game that's supposed to come out "soon" only for it for them to take forever on getting it fully developed and into store shelves for the fans to play.  They have to learn to not repeat the same mistakes over and over otherwise people are just going to expect SE to release their games ten years after they announce them.