Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
rhys0126

I Finally Figured Out What's Off About "Don't Think Twice"

Okay so I was listening to a lot of Utada's older work recently and it finally clicked. The reason people don't like the new song as much isn't the song itself, a lot of it just has to do with Utada's new vocal direction. Instead of light and breathy with lots of high notes and emotion, her style is a lot darker and more mature. She sounds like a totally different singer now if you compare songs like "Automatic" or "First Love" to "Don't Think Twice". If you don't believe me listen:

Automatic: 

Compare that to another song on her latest album

Anata: 

Makes sense considering that KH3 is meant as a finale and that Utada herself has been going through another phase of her career. Fantome was noticeably darker in tone and sound than many of her previous work, and having to make a song that concludes at least this part of Kingdom Hearts, this song I feel fits better than something cheery and uplifting.

I have a feeling that by the time then end credits roll, no other song will fit. 

To me it's more to do with the time signature of the song. We're all used to hearing pop/ballad songs in 4/4 rhythm. I believe 'Don't Think Twice" is in 6/8 or 3/4.

That's also another factor. Lots of people were probably thrown off by that

From what I'm hearing, she's a much better vocalist now then before. Her airy notes lacked stability and she didn't have as much control as she does now. For example, her riffs and runs in "Anata" are much clearer than in "FINAL DISTANCE". Also, her voice sounds more supported nowadays so she might've decided to switch her airy sound for a more supported sound. If you listen to this song here (Hatsukoi), you'll notice that her head voice sounds much fuller than in the "Hold me, whatever lies beyond this morning" part of "Simple and Clean" for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJK1IKIvrI

That's definitely intentional. If she wanted she could let more air into her voice (which she does when she sings "I need you" around 0:43) but she probably wanted a fuller, more supported sound. She also sings in her lower register more than before so maybe that throws people off. Of course, greater technique doesn't necessarily lead to greater sound, so it's totally normal for some people to like her older vocal style more. Personally, I prefer the way she sings now. I don't think the reasons for the changes in her vocals are purely stylistic though. It's been almost 20 years since "Automatic". Her voice naturally matured. From what I've heard, people were thrown off by the beat of the song (because it's a slow ballad and it's in 3/4 time signature) and not by her voice. In fact, I've only heard positive things about her vocals. I think the song is going to be remixed for the opening but I wouldn't mind if they used the original version and tried something more dramatic or solemn for the opening. It is the final chapter after all.

PS: I'm a bit of a singer myself or at least I try to be (lol) so I get really excited about this stuff! :) Sorry. Can't wait to hear her album, I'm loving every song she's teased so far.

Edited by PrinceNoctis

Yeah, that's the thing with artists...they change with time, and life has a way of changing how they look at things, ya know? So it's only natural that Utada reflects that in the way she sings differently from one album to the next, ya know?

And ever since I heard Don't Think Twice for the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it! Because really, with Kingdom Hearts III being the end of the Xehanort Saga, and the theme of the game being resolution, per Nomura's words, then it makes all the more sense for Don't Think Twice to be the song that reflects all this finality and darkness that's surrounding our heroes! The fact of the matter is that Kingdom Hearts III will be the darkest entry in the series as of yet, so Don't Think Twice is a perfect fit! It's a bittersweet song! Probably for the bittersweet ending we'll get, since Nomura said it'll be hard to accept!

I really hope the intro sticks with the normal version of the song, and I hope it's not remixed into an uplifting song, ya know?

Yeah, that's the thing with artists...they change with time, and life has a way of changing how they look at things, ya know? So it's only natural that Utada reflects that in the way she sings differently from one album to the next, ya know?

And ever since I heard Don't Think Twice for the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it! Because really, with Kingdom Hearts III being the end of the Xehanort Saga, and the theme of the game being resolution, per Nomura's words, then it makes all the more sense for Don't Think Twice to be the song that reflects all this finality and darkness that's surrounding our heroes! The fact of the matter is that Kingdom Hearts III will be the darkest entry in the series as of yet, so Don't Think Twice is a perfect fit! It's a bittersweet song! Probably for the bittersweet ending we'll get, since Nomura said it'll be hard to accept!

I really hope the intro sticks with the normal version of the song, and I hope it's not remixed into an uplifting song, ya know?

I agree. KH2's Sanctuary was pretty dramatic as well, it would be weird to go back to an uplifting dance remix for the opening of KHIII. They could use an orchestral version but I personally wouldn't like that.

I agree. KH2's Sanctuary was pretty dramatic as well, it would be weird to go back to an uplifting dance remix for the opening of KHIII. They could use an orchestral version but I personally wouldn't like that.

Yep, besides, we already got an orchestral opening in the form of DDD's opening cinematic! Not that I have a problem with orchestrated music, mind you, but yeah, with KHIII being the ending point of the Xehanort Saga, it's appropriate that Don't Think Twice gives off the epic, sad vibe its supposed to!

Yes, Sanctuary is a beautiful song, and it's a shame it was sadly underused in the series, Simple And Clean being the most used song and all.

From what I'm hearing, she's a much better vocalist now then before. Her airy notes lacked stability and she didn't have as much control as she does now. For example, her riffs and runs in "Anata" are much clearer than in "FINAL DISTANCE". Also, her voice sounds more supported nowadays so she might've decided to switch her airy sound for a more supported sound. If you listen to this song here (Hatsukoi), you'll notice that her head voice sounds much fuller than in the "Hold me, whatever lies beyond this morning" part of "Simple and Clean" for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJK1IKIvrI

That's definitely intentional. If she wanted she could let more air into her voice (which she does when she sings "I need you" around 0:43) but she probably wanted a fuller, more supported sound. She also sings in her lower register more than before so maybe that throws people off. Of course, greater technique doesn't necessarily lead to greater sound, so it's totally normal for some people to like her older vocal style more. Personally, I prefer the way she sings now. I don't think the reasons for the changes in her vocals are purely stylistic though. It's been almost 20 years since "Automatic". Her voice naturally matured. From what I've heard, people were thrown off by the beat of the song (because it's a slow ballad and it's in 3/4 time signature) and not by her voice. In fact, I've only heard positive things about her vocals. I think the song is going to be remixed for the opening but I wouldn't mind if they used the original version and tried something more dramatic or solemn for the opening. It is the final chapter after all.

PS: I'm a bit of a singer myself or at least I try to be (lol) so I get really excited about this stuff!   :) Sorry. Can't wait to hear her album, I'm loving every song she's teased so far.

Omg don't be sorry I love talking about music stuff too! I took singing lessons for 2 and a half years, and I've currently been taking piano consistently for 1. But you're right, she has much better technique now and she's also probably somewhere in her 30s by now so her voice is more mature. I personally did like her older style better, but I can recognize that a lot of people like it and she's without a doubt very talented

Omg don't be sorry I love talking about music stuff too! I took singing lessons for 2 and a half years, and I've currently been taking piano consistently for 1. But you're right, she has much better technique now and she's also probably somewhere in her 30s by now so her voice is more mature. I personally did like her older style better, but I can recognize that a lot of people like it and she's without a doubt very talented

OMG STOP! I know this is a bit off-topic, but I took singing lessons for around three years (combined, not consecutive...well two years were consecutive, the rest was all over the place) and I've been taking piano for like a year and a half! What a coincidence :D Anyways, we'll get to hear the full song later this month. Perhaps people who don't like the song will change their minds then. I think it'll live up to our expectations.

OMG STOP! I know this is a bit off-topic, but I took singing lessons for around three years (combined, not consecutive...well two years were consecutive, the rest was all over the place) and I've been taking piano for like a year and a half! What a coincidence :D Anyways, we'll get to hear the full song later this month. Perhaps people who don't like the song will change their minds then. I think it'll live up to our expectations.

Haha what a coincidence! And yesss I'm really excited for her new album. I feel like the people most surprised were the ones that didn't really follow her music too, because I had a feeling based on her fantome songs that it would be more R&B inspired.

Haha what a coincidence! And yesss I'm really excited for her new album. I feel like the people most surprised were the ones that didn't really follow her music too, because I had a feeling based on her fantome songs that it would be more R&B inspired.

Yeah, "Don't Think Twice" feels like a natural evolution from her songs from Fantome vocally and musically. She'd already started using her lower register a lot on that album like on Sakura Nagashi and, although that album was more pop than R&B inspired, the music from the new album doesn't feel totally different.