Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Trey Wickesser

Kingdom Hearts Recap videos are now available on Square Enix's Japanese YouTube channel

During yesterday, Square Enix published on their japanese YouTube channel the already announced recap videos for the entire Kingdom Hearts saga. The 5 released videos feature a narration by Chirity, which briefly explains the different chapters of the saga, using both Japanese dub and subtitles. No information about any English translations are known at the moment. These videos are each approximately 3 minutes long. However, when speaking to GNN at E3, Nomura had said these recap videos "might last several hours". You can check below for the full list of videos and the related descriptions below.

UPDATE: Scottyyy has uploaded all the videos with English subtitles! Check it out at the end of this article.

This video shows the departure of Sora for his journey, and recaps Kingdom Hearts story

This video shows the journey of Sora into Castle Oblivion, and recaps Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories story

This video shows the days of Roxas inside the Organization XIII, and recaps Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

This video shows Riku's side of the story, going through the Reverse side of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

This video goes through Master Xehanorth's plan for the 13 Seeker of Darkness as well as part of Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance

A special promotional campaign will be also take place in Shinjuku. The campaign will continue from June 25th to 1st of July, on the expo area of Marunouchi Subway. You can check here for more details.

Square Enix also announced the the release of those videos through its Twitter account. You can check below for further images released on the official Square Enix website:

Kingdom Hearts III releases on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 25, 2019 in Japan, and January 29, 2019 to the rest of the world. You can now watch the latest Frozen trailer, Square Enix E3 Showcase trailer, and Pirates of the Caribbean trailer!

UPDATE: Check out the recap video compilation thanks to Scottyyy! Please enable CC (Closed Caption) to view English subtitles.

View full article

I think I set my hopes too high for these, was expecting a bit of new animation, but they really are just recap videos - snippets from cutscenes slapped together with a new voice recording from Chirithy. Guess that means we still have a CGI opening video perhaps to look forward to for KH3 that's separate from these recap videos.

Disappointing recap videos. I expected them to go more in details about the previous Kingdom Hearts stories from the previous games, but nope the recap videos are too short. Plus, they crammed Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and Master Xehanort's goals into one video. Disappointing but oh well it is what it is.

Edited by Movies798

I think I set my hopes too high for these, was expecting a bit of new animation, but they really are just recap videos - snippets from cutscenes slapped together with a new voice recording from Chirithy. Guess that means we still have a CGI opening video perhaps to look forward to for KH3 that's separate from these recap videos.

What were you expecting? why make new animation if you have the old ones it will cost less money to make, I'm just happy that it exist and that we have them even though they are a bit to short.

Edited by AwesomeKHfan

Disappointing recap videos. I expected them to go more in details about the previous Kingdom Hearts stories from the previous games, but nope the recap videos are too short. Plus, they crammed Kingdom Hearts 2, Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, and Master Xehanort's goals into one video. Disappointing but oh well it is what it is.

In retrospect, it turns out we brought a lot of this on ourselves when Nomura's statements were translated. We thought we were getting hours worth of recaps; in reality, they were supposed to condense hours worth of material we'd otherwise have to play and watch through. Apparently, only the absolutely essential information is here.

On the bright side, a translation seems even more feasible.

During yesterday, Square Enix published on their japanese YouTube channel the already announced recap videos for the entire Kingdom Hearts saga. The 5 released videos feature a narration by Chirity, which briefly explains the different chapters of the saga, using both Japanese dub and subtitles. No information about any English translations are known at the moment. These videos are each approximately 3 minutes long. However, when speaking to GNN at E3, Nomura had said these recap videos "might last several hours". You can check below for the full list of videos and the related description:

This video shows the departure of Sora for his journey, and recaps Kingdom Hearts story

This video shows the journey of Sora into Castle Oblivion, and recaps Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories story

This video shows the days of Roxas inside the Organization XIII, and recaps Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

This video shows Riku's side of the story, going through the Reverse side of Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

This video goes through Master Xehanorth's plan for the 13 Seeker of Darkness as well as part of Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance

A special promotional campaign will be also take place in Shinjuku. The campaign will continue from June 25th to 1st of July, on the expo area of Marunouchi Subway. You can check here for more details.

Square Enix also announced the the release of those videos through its Twitter account. You can check below for further images released on the official Square Enix website:

book1book2book3book5book4

Kingdom Hearts III releases on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 25, 2019 in Japan, and January 29, 2019 to the rest of the world. You can now watch the latest Frozen trailer, Square Enix E3 Showcase trailer, and Pirates of the Carribean trailer!

Click here to view the article

This will help me alot with my retrospective.
Hopefully the english Version is coming soon

Considering they dont have to do this and are only doing it as fanservice its ok.

Good thing for me actually that it dosent go much into detail was expecting videos that make my fan retrospective obsolete but thank god i was wrong

Considering they dont have to do this and are only doing it as fanservice its ok.

Good thing for me actually that it dosent go much into detail was expecting videos that make my fan retrospective obsolete but thank god i was wrong

But it's not good to crammed everything in one video for newcomers to understand the lore.

Edited by Movies798

What were you expecting? why make new animation if you have the old ones it will cost less money to make, I'm just happy that it exist and that we have them even though they are a bit to short.

Well, I get that animation costs money lol which is why I guess I was hoping to see the opening video for KH3, since that's not extra material, but we are still 7 months away from the game's release and I'm sure they're either saving that closer to the release date or not revealing it at all til the game's release, so it was more of a fat dream. To me, I'm pretty impartial about the release of these videos now that I've seen them, since I've played all the games up to KH3, and recently too. If anything, these videos are most valuable for new entrants to the series, people who need blanks in the series filled, or anyone who hasn't played the games in a while.

But in a way, the opening videos are pretty much recaps. KH2's opening was a recap of KH1 and KH:CoM, DDD's opening was a recap of everything pretty much up to DDD. Just not as literal vs. having Chirithy narrate, but they did the job too artistically. Guess that's why I held on hope of Square Enix releasing the opening, before these videos got released. I'm also suspecting they're waiting for Hikaru Utada's album to release so the theme song "Chikai" isn't spoiled before her album drops.

Edited by blue490246

Thanks for sharing this with us, Yoshirai!

Dang, I hope these recap videos are released in English eventually! I wanna hear English Chirithy's adorable voice!

Not gonna lie, I would love it if they came up with novelizations of the Kingdom Hearts series with these exact book covers.

I second that! It'd be a beautiful book collection to have and display! :D

But it's not good to crammed everything in one video for newcomers to understand the lore.

Thats true but these videos are meant tingive the viewer a broad understanding of whats going on you could basically put at the end something like "for more information buy 1.5+2.5"