Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Aquaberry

Nomura talks about his favorite character and world, dark themes in Kingdom Hearts III, and the possibility of a Mary Poppins world

IGN Brasil has just published an interview conducted with Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura back during E3 2018, in which he talked about his favorite character, the dark themes in Kingdom Hearts III, and, surprisingly, Mary Poppins.

Nomura stated that his favorite character from the series is Ansem (Xehanort's Heartless), and that he does not relate to Sora.

"When I wrote the story, I realized that I'm more of Ansem / Xehanort's side, because they say things I would probably say. On the other hand, Sora says things I would not personally say."

Nomura commented that he prefers JRPG games to not show explicit violence.

"We do not have a boundary line set on dark themes [in KH3], as long as it's not on the screen and the game does not have very violent scenes."

However, he still promised that Kingdom Hearts III will have some "shocking scenes."

Regarding choosing the worlds that will appear in the game, he said:

"For each game and each world, I ask my team to bring ideas and create concepts. These documents include which worlds they would like to see in the game and what kind of gameplay we could develop in these worlds.

"I take a look at all this and see which world or which gameplay is interesting enough for me, then I make a list of these and other worlds that should be in the game in order of priority."

When asked about his favorite world from the series, Nomura laughed. He responded that his favorite world has not been revealed yet.

He states that there will be "some original world in Kingdom Hearts III."

Nomura even mentioned the idea of a Mary Poppins world.

"Mary Poppins has always been in our conversations about concepts and ideas, but we've always wondered how we can use that film in the franchise. There's a possibility, as long as there's a good idea for that."

The interviewer also asked Nomura if he was aware of how popular Kingdom Hearts is in Brasil, to which he replied that he was surprised in discovering a Brasilian fanbase.

"We are developing this game in Japan, so when I come to events like this [E3] and I meet people from the press from different countries and regions, that's when I realize how big the franchise is, because it's not something I feel in practice. That all of this is real, but I do not realize it on a daily basis."

What "shocking" surprises could be awaiting in Kingdom Hearts III? Would you like one of them to be a Mary Poppins world? Let us know in the comments!

Click here to view the article

If they did a Mary Poppin's world, the game is getting to the point where it becomes fan fiction or it's a cannon game mixed with fan fiction. I hope you all get what I mean. That and if so, they would have to make that world work somehow. Because, you can't have Donald and Goofy as actual anthropomorphic animals as bipeds. They would have to be an actual duck and dog. If we go to the realism of that world's universe,  It's another variation of Earth. If Earthlings found out about other worlds, then Nomura has a dilemma on their hands, because if it's widespread on Earth, that means they'll figure out ways to travel out of the boundary lines and into the KH universe. The only way I can think of Donald and Goofy being bipeds, is that everyone assumes it's a realistic versions of themselves in suits. So yeah...with Earth, that's a lot of problems to think about.

If they did a Mary Poppin's world, the game is getting to the point where it becomes fan fiction or it's a cannon game mixed with fan fiction. I hope you all get what I mean. That and if so, they would have to make that world work somehow. Because, you can't have Donald and Goofy as actual anthropomorphic animals as bipeds. They would have to be an actual duck and dog. If we go to the realism of that world's universe,  It's another variation of Earth. If Earthlings found out about other worlds, then Nomura has a dilemma on their hands, because if it's widespread on Earth, that means they'll figure out ways to travel out of the boundary lines and into the KH universe. The only way I can think of Donald and Goofy being bipeds, is that everyone assumes it's a realistic versions of themselves in suits. So yeah...with Earth, that's a lot of problems to think about.

and yet it hasnt been a problem for every other version of earth theyve been to

If we get a world based on Mary Poppins I will cry.

tears of joy, sadness or fury?

Maybe you're thinking too hard about this.. Realism has never been something that the KH series worried about, and the gang has already travelled to various versions of Earth in different time periods.

Thanks for sharing this with us, Aquaberry!

My God, I just love Nomura interviews! They always reveal some awesome tidbit of information that helps serve up more hype for us fans! I think it's pretty awesome that Nomura relates himself to the villains, and I'm so intrigued as to what is Nomura's favorite world, since he said it hasn't been revealed yet! I'm also really happy that the game will be appropriately dark! :3

I think that the thought process that goes into the creation and conception of worlds is pretty neat, because everyone in the team gets to have their say on what world should be in any given KH game! AND WHAT WILL BE THE ORIGINAL WORLD HE SPOKE OF!?

Oh dang, and Marry Poppins as a world? That's something I hadn't thought of before! How very interesting! Maybe she'd be a summon if her world isn't in KHIII? :O

What about a world based on Atlantis: The Lost Empire? The movie needs more attention and love.

YESSSS, I KNOW! JUST LIKE TREASURE PLANET! THESE TWO GEMS DESERVE THEIR TIME IN THE SPOTLIGHT!

I could see Mary Poppins appearing in a mini game, being a summon, or making a cameo. I have never seen the whole movie (yes, I know I should fix that), so I don't know how a world could work, like could she battle :P, but who knows? I would just find it amusing if she appeared in a way, shape or form.

His favorite world has not yet been revealed? Well, that has me excited! I wonder what it could be?

He states that there will be "some original world in Kingdom Hearts III."

I think that is supposed to be "some original worlds" but I could be mistaken. 

Thanks for sharing this with us, Aquaberry!

My God, I just love Nomura interviews! They always reveal some awesome tidbit of information that helps serve up more hype for us fans! I think it's pretty awesome that Nomura relates himself to the villains, and I'm so intrigued as to what is Nomura's favorite world, since he said it hasn't been revealed yet! I'm also really happy that the game will be appropriately dark! :3

I think that the thought process that goes into the creation and conception of worlds is pretty neat, because everyone in the team gets to have their say on what world should be in any given KH game! AND WHAT WILL BE THE ORIGINAL WORLD HE SPOKE OF!?

Oh dang, and Marry Poppins as a world? That's something I hadn't thought of before! How very interesting! Maybe she'd be a summon if her world isn't in KHIII? :O

YESSSS, I KNOW! JUST LIKE TREASURE PLANET! THESE TWO GEMS DESERVE THEIR TIME IN THE SPOTLIGHT!

Mary Poppins world? Uh no. No no no, not a good idea. There is nothing about it that can constitute a world. This is now stepping into a danger zone where they are now messing with a good thing. Mary Poppins should be off limits altogether. Period. You start to ruin the game and the film. This is like Atlantica in KH2. The first time was not that good especially with controls, but the second time? Horrid. This could be KH2 Atlantica equivalent which is bad. He better not put in a Mary Poppins world. I’ll still be the game, but a Mary Poppins world would put a stain on the game like Atlantica in KH2. They are best not going through with this. I don’t think it would be in there at this point, but I hope it isn’t they already put it in there and now he is teasing it.

You guys realize we have seen that carrousel attraction move right? We might as well get it in a Mary Poppins world...

No but seriously I do think there's a chance of creating a world based on it but not on the actual film... it could be more of an original story based on that cartoon world they enter or a similar one,

I do think it could work but not to be a fan favorite.

I really hope Mary Poppins isn't a world, as a Brit, I always found the 'attempts' of Victorian London an absolute joke and there are surely loads of other worlds with better potential? Treasure Island, Atlantis, Robin Hood, The Great Mouse Detective, Pocahontas, The Black cauldron..... As a singing mini game world perhaps, but this just sounds like a seriously bad idea

tears of joy, sadness or fury?

But that's the thing! They were in different time periods and there were exceptions! When visiting France-Quasimodo, that was a fictional time period where they believed in burning people using magic. It's not even modern day, where that's a bigger problem. Also that was a dream, so it wouldn't mattered, yet... Also there was Mulan, again, different time period to even matter. Also there's Toy Story, which they're in an illusion version of their world. Unless they fix it in the story line, which is yet to be seen. So yeah... Oh there's the Alantica universe/world, but different time period again to matter. But...the closest to consider being a matter is Rapunzel's world and Anna and Elsa, since they're just lands away. And they have magic. And because of that, it's possible in the kh universe, potential world travel. Actually now I think about it, Frozen and Tangled are in the same world and universe, why couldn't we just fly in the same universe to that land-oh wait, flying ship, never mind. Anyways, point is, a majority of the Earth's variations are set in time where it was mostly swords, guns. also not advance modern technology we have. If anything, Pirates of the Caribbean has the most significance of causing trouble if they revealed themselves from another world. But then again, no one questions the animals that are walking and talking. Oh well...

Mary Poppins can do all kinds of things, why would she question a anime boy and his two talking animal companions? She would be more used to that then characters like Will Turner, a man who just nodded and accepted that yes this is happening right now, or Jane, a woman with a scientific mind and from a movie where not a lot of magical stuff happens. Like I have not seen the movie but don't they go into a cartoon or something.

But that's the thing! They were in different time periods and there were exceptions! When visiting France-Quasimodo, that was a fictional time period where they believed in burning people using magic. It's not even modern day, where that's a bigger problem. Also that was a dream, so it wouldn't mattered, yet... Also there was Mulan, again, different time period to even matter. Also there's Toy Story, which they're in an illusion version of their world. Unless they fix it in the story line, which is yet to be seen. So yeah... Oh there's the Alantica universe/world, but different time period again to matter. But...the closest to consider being a matter is Rapunzel's world and Anna and Elsa, since they're just lands away. And they have magic. And because of that, it's possible in the kh universe, potential world travel. Actually now I think about it, Frozen and Tangled are in the same world and universe, why couldn't we just fly in the same universe to that land-oh wait, flying ship, never mind. Anyways, point is, a majority of the Earth's variations are set in time where it was mostly swords, guns. also not advance modern technology we have. If anything, Pirates of the Caribbean has the most significance of causing trouble if they revealed themselves from another world. But then again, no one questions the animals that are walking and talking. Oh well...

exactly nobody has questioned it in the many other worlds where they would have asked theyre not going to start in mary poppins

unless thats the story they go for in that world

Mary Poppins can do all kinds of things, why would she question a anime boy and his two talking animal companions? She would be more used to that then characters like Will Turner, a man who just nodded and accepted that yes this is happening right now, or Jane, a woman with a scientific mind and from a movie where not a lot of magical stuff happens. Like I have not seen the movie but don't they go into a cartoon or something.

Yeah, they do. Maybe Sora and co. could enter it through a painting in one of the original worlds or something.

thats pretty much the point i was making

I don't really see how Mary Poppins would fit in the series. My guess is it would be another mini games world, and for that reason I would much rather they not do a world based on that film. 

mary poppins in kingdom hearts is an odd thought be interesting to see what they could do

To be fair everything in kingdom hearts has a level of odd

The fact that his favorite world has not been revealed yet is the most interesting thing to me. Maybe Jungle Book? Or perhaps the original world? (Cable Town?). So exciting!!!giphy.gif

I think it will be the last world because he allready said he plans tondo something he always wanted but couldnt because the technology wasnt ready

How would a mary poppin's world work?

Probably just a bunch of mini games

If they did a Mary Poppin's world, the game is getting to the point where it becomes fan fiction or it's a cannon game mixed with fan fiction.

Bro this entire franchise has been a fanfic since Day 1.

I, for one, welcome the prospect of Mary Poppins showing up.

Edited by Karxrida