Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Allwil13

TV Bojack Horseman

Is anybody else here a fan of the Netflix series Bojack Horseman? I recently started rewatching it in preparation for the 5th season premier next month and I'm remembering so many of the amazing elements that make this show so incredibly powerful and heartwrenching. Does anybody else here love this show as much as me? If so, is anyone interested in having a discussion thread for it here?

You know, I've always seen this show around on Netflix, but I've never really watched it! You have gotten me curious about it. What's it about?

The show takes place in a world where humans coexist with anthropomorphic animals. It's about a horse (voiced by Will Arnett) who was a huge star on a cheesy sitcom in the 90's, but in the present day he's a has-been, bitter, egotistical, and an alcoholic. The first half of the show's first season is mainly just comedic (though there is some social commentary, just not as much as later seasons), and it's super funny, but in the later seasons it delves into some deep, harsh places. The show is so unique because it's about a talking horse and yet it deals with really human stuff like abuse, sexism, drug use, addiction, post traumatic stress disorder, depression, and loads of other stuff. 

It's one of my absolute favourite shows on TV/Netflix right now. I absolutely love it because it's both so real and deep and yet it's also hilarious. I would definitely recommend it, just brace yourself for an emotional rollercoaster of a TV show experience.

The show takes place in a world where humans coexist with anthropomorphic animals. It's about a horse (voiced by Will Arnett) who was a huge star on a cheesy sitcom in the 90's, but in the present day he's a has-been, bitter, egotistical, and an alcoholic. The first half of the show's first season is mainly just comedic (though there is some social commentary, just not as much as later seasons), and it's super funny, but in the later seasons it delves into some deep, harsh places. The show is so unique because it's about a talking horse and yet it deals with really human stuff like abuse, sexism, drug use, addiction, post traumatic stress disorder, depression, and loads of other stuff. 

It's one of my absolute favourite shows on TV/Netflix right now. I absolutely love it because it's both so real and deep and yet it's also hilarious. I would definitely recommend it, just brace yourself for an emotional rollercoaster of a TV show experience.

Whoa, I had no idea that the show was this intense! I thought it was just an adult comedy along the likes of Family Guy in terms of humor, but now you have informed me of the show's true nature...and it seems really intriguing! You see, shows that are like this but send out some clear messages about how society is nowadays really stick out for me! It's awesome to see how there are creative minds who can make concepts like that work, ya know?

Whoa, I had no idea that the show was this intense! I thought it was just an adult comedy along the likes of Family Guy in terms of humor, but now you have informed me of the show's true nature...and it seems really intriguing! You see, shows that are like this but send out some clear messages about how society is nowadays really stick out for me! It's awesome to see how there are creative minds who can make concepts like that work, ya know?

Oh, I agree completely! I mean, I love Family Guy, don't get me wrong. It's very clever and well written and it does have some interesting social commentary, but it doesn't really go much further than an animated sitcom. South Park certainly comes closer, but I find even that doesn't give me as much of a connection with the characters as Bojack does. Bojack has literally brought me to tears before because of what happens to some of the characters. I've been rewatching the series in preparation for season 5 and last night I got choked up twice. 

There's a certain character in the show that in the first few seasons is depicted as cruel, abusive, critical and unloving. You have next to to sympathy or enjoyment of this character, but then in season 4 the show delves into their past and reveals that like another character to which they'r connected, they were just a product of their environment, and that was passed on to others through thie character as a result. Absolutely brilliant!

Oh, I agree completely! I mean, I love Family Guy, don't get me wrong. It's very clever and well written and it does have some interesting social commentary, but it doesn't really go much further than an animated sitcom. South Park certainly comes closer, but I find even that doesn't give me as much of a connection with the characters as Bojack does. Bojack has literally brought me to tears before because of what happens to some of the characters. I've been rewatching the series in preparation for season 5 and last night I got choked up twice. 

There's a certain character in the show that in the first few seasons is depicted as cruel, abusive, critical and unloving. You have next to to sympathy or enjoyment of this character, but then in season 4 the show delves into their past and reveals that like another character to which they'r connected, they were just a product of their environment, and that was passed on to others through thie character as a result. Absolutely brilliant!

Dang, that sounds like some really solid, structured storytelling! You gotta love it when a show makes you see a character in a different light! It really gives you perspective on things like circumstance and troubled pasts! Well, my good man, you've sold me on this show! After I catch up to a few shows I'm watching, I'll definitely give Bojack a watch!

Dang, that sounds like some really solid, structured storytelling! You gotta love it when a show makes you see a character in a different light! It really gives you perspective on things like circumstance and troubled pasts! Well, my good man, you've sold me on this show! After I catch up to a few shows I'm watching, I'll definitely give Bojack a watch!

Let me know what you think! It would be nice to have someone here to discuss the show with.

Dude, I watched all five seasons! And may I say...holy crud, what a ride this show has been! Not only is it a great comedy, it also delves into really dark territory, and it really has amazing character development and self awareness and world building, not to mention a solid voice cast! :D

I can't wait for Season 6! After that ending in Season 5, it's gonna be torture. This show truly is a gem!

7 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Dude, I watched all five seasons! And may I say...holy crud, what a ride this show has been! Not only is it a great comedy, it also delves into really dark territory, and it really has amazing character development and self awareness and world building, not to mention a solid voice cast! :D

I can't wait for Season 6! After that ending in Season 5, it's gonna be torture. This show truly is a gem!

Right??? Like OMG it's one of the best shows I have ever watched. Period. That Free Churro episode in season 5 had me completely speechless. I'm a litte nervous right now because they still haven't announced the show's renewal for season 6. But I can't imagine they won't renew it.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:37 AM, Allwil13 said:

Right??? Like OMG it's one of the best shows I have ever watched. Period. That Free Churro episode in season 5 had me completely speechless. I'm a litte nervous right now because they still haven't announced the show's renewal for season 6. But I can't imagine they won't renew it.

I'm pretty sure that the show will be renewed! After all, with the immense success it's had and the fanbase that has grown over the years for it, it would be illogical if Season 6 wasn't announced! After that cliffhanger of an ending for Season 5...gahh, I need more!

Of Bojack. Horseman, obviously. XD

10 minutes ago, The Transcendent Key said:

I'm pretty sure that the show will be renewed! After all, with the immense success it's had and the fanbase that has grown over the years for it, it would be illogical if Season 6 wasn't announced! After that cliffhanger of an ending for Season 5...gahh, I need more!

Of Bojack. Horseman, obviously. XD

Absolutely! A few of my friends told me that season 5 felt like a finale, but when another one of my friends and I marathoned the season and watched the final episode, it felt like too much of a cliffhanger for it to be the end. 

3 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

Absolutely! A few of my friends told me that season 5 felt like a finale, but when another one of my friends and I marathoned the season and watched the final episode, it felt like too much of a cliffhanger for it to be the end. 

Definitely! We still have the issue of Bojack and his addiction to the stress pills and what'll happen to him afterward. Will he rehab, or will he overdose? Will his story end in tragedy, or does he still have a shot of redemption somewhere down the road by trying to do right by Hollyhock? We also got Princess Carolyn as a mother now, and that's one side of her character I want to see, and I want to see what happens between Mr. Peanutbutter, I want to see if he caves in under the guilt of having cheated on Pickles! There's just so much going on with the characters, it's hard not to think that another season wouldn't be in the cards, ya know?

Also, that episode where we saw Bojack's mom's past was heartbreaking, and so dark! o_O

So much stuff, I swear! And I loved the episode where Bojack was battling his inner demons, and how they appeared to him as distorted animations of the people he's known. The way he kept repeating how he's a screw up and he's what ruins other people's lives really got to me. It was intense!

Just now, The Transcendent Key said:

Also, that episode where we saw Bojack's mom's past was heartbreaking, and so dark! o_O

So much stuff, I swear! And I loved the episode where Bojack was battling his inner demons, and how they appeared to him as distorted animations of the people he's known. The way he kept repeating how he's a screw up and he's what ruins other people's lives really got to me. It was intense!

The one about Bojacks mom is one of my favourite episodes. I also loved "Stupid Piece of S#*t" and "That's Too Much, Man". That episode jammed a huge lump in my throat.

2 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

The one about Bojacks mom is one of my favourite episodes. I also loved "Stupid Piece of S#*t" and "That's Too Much, Man". That episode jammed a huge lump in my throat.

Duuuude, I know! But you know something? I found it fitting how Sarah Lynn died in Bojack's arms. The person she considered a father, the person she admired growing up. It's messed up what happened to her during the course of her life and what happened between her and Bojack, but that end to her character was darkly poetic.

9 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Duuuude, I know! But you know something? I found it fitting how Sarah Lynn died in Bojack's arms. The person she considered a father, the person she admired growing up. It's messed up what happened to her during the course of her life and what happened between her and Bojack, but that end to her character was darkly poetic.

I think the thing that's so brutal about the whole Sarah Lynn situation is that she saw him as a father figure and yet he was the catalyst, the reason why she tumbled into substance abuse issues. So indirectly he saw himself as the cause of her death.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, Allwil13 said:

I think the thing that's so brutal about the whole Sarah Lynn situation is that she saw him as a father figure and yet he was the catalyst, the reason why she tumbled into substance abuse issues. So indirectly he saw himself as the cause of her death.

Yep, which makes it all the more heartbreaking! And it's crazy because I bet that there's real life situations like these that go on behind the scenes of TV shows and movies and whatnot! Movies and shows may be an entertaining medium, but just like any medium and job environment, there are always dark sides.

Edited by The Transcendent Key

52 minutes ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Yep, which makes it all the more heartbreaking! And it's crazy because I bet that there's real life situations like these that go on behind the scenes of TV shows and movies and whatnot! Movies and shows may be an entertaining medium, but just like any medium and job environment, there are always dark sides.

OMG this show is just amazing on so many levels! Pleeeeeeease let them renew it for season 6!