Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Aquaberry

There are no plans for The World Ends With You characters to reappear in Kingdom Hearts III, says Nomura

In a private The World Ends With You -Final Remix- campaign event at the Square Enix Café ARTNIA on October 30, Kingdom Hearts series director Tetsuya Nomura, who is also the producer of the original TWEWY title, made a surprise appearance. Here he had the opportunity to answer a few questions. One of these were concerning the possibility of a reappearance of the TWEWY characters in Kingdom Hearts III, to which he replied with a no.

You can read the translated excerpt from Famitsu below (thanks to KH13 Staff NihonScribe).

Q: Since in "KH3D" TWEWY characters showed up, are there plans for them to be in KH3?

Nomura: They will not be in it. 

View full article

Well, now I'm sad.

I know it wasn't gonna be very likely anyway, but I was desperately clinging onto the hope.

Spoiler

also there goes my hopes of them putting joshua into the game as a secret boss. i mean they probably wouldn't do that since it'd be kind of a spoiler, but come on. it would've been so cool. especially since we never really fought him in the original game, i wanna know just how powerful he actually is.

Edited by littleTSUBAME

1 hour ago, littleTSUBAME said:

Well, now I'm sad.

I know it wasn't gonna be very likely anyway, but I was desperately clinging onto the hope.

twewy spoilers, kinda, beware (Reveal hidden contents)

also there goes my hopes of them putting joshua into the game as a secret boss. i mean they probably wouldn't do that since it'd be kind of a spoiler, but come on. it would've been so cool. especially since we never really fought him in the original game, i wanna know just how powerful he actually is.

well maybe we can see sora in the world ends with you at some point 

While this is unfortunate, a little bit of good came from this question.

When asked if TWEWY characters would be in KH3, Nomura just straight up said "No". But when asked if FF characters will be in KH3, Nomura has been very wishy washy with "Oh I don't know" or "I don't feel as strongly as I did before". The fact that he immediately shot down TWEWY but was vague with FF confirms (at least to me) that FF characters will indeed return for KH3 (beyond Moogles of course).

1 hour ago, Raphael Millon said:

No surprise to be honest. My only surprise is seeing so many people around the internet that were actually hopeful of TWEWY in KH3, it is kinda sad 

Why tho lol? TWEWY was great and so was neku. Might have some hope 

Nomura has his plate full with all the KH characters appearing in KH3. It's understandable. Same thing for FF characters.

The only thing I want is a FF character in Olympus to keep the tradition going and I would already be happy.

4 hours ago, VENROXAS said:

It's not that TWEWY wasn't great but rather that KH3 doesn't really need more big city environments. I also can't see them in BH6 since the characters seem to be bound by their actual plot from the game, unlike most of the FF characters who partly have different personalities and backgrounds.

Another reason would be that they weren't really fleshed out in DDD and would require a bit more work to function in their own world as more than somewhat shallow interactions. Unless you played TWEWY, their inclusion was confusing and even as someone who has played the game, it felt lackluster.

KH3 is about resolutions. I feel like TWEWY's plot would be something that could span more than one game and would feel unfulfilling in KH3. I would definitely like to see it used beyond KH3 when they have more time to focus on the characters and their story since it doesn't seem to be something they can do in the span of one Disney world. I'm fully content with just having the original KH characters.

I would honestly be more disappointed if Leon & Co. do not appear. They may not be as important anymore but I still feel fond of them because they did play roles beyond the confines of their own world. They grew up in Radiant Garden and are now working to rebuild it, so if we're talking about "resolutions", I of course want to see what they accomplished. Because it was them who also fought for their home even though they weren't responsible for its destruction. Having them removed just like that, or even Radiant Garden as a world you can't visit, would be such a waste without a proper conclusion. It has such potential and while Nomura does not feel the need for FF as much as before, then you could also say the same about some of the Disney stuff. (Honestly, I'd be immensely disappointed if 100 Acre Wood returns but not Yuffie, Leon, etc.)

TWEWY on the other hand... their cameo was great but I don't really feel much of a connection between them and KH. At least not much more than between them and any other characters they met once. And as I already said, their world is too similar to BH6 and perhaps Monstropolis, but their story too complex to have it be some side story in San Fransokyo.

Though to be fair, they'll also need new worlds in the future. :D

Edited by Merilly

28 minutes ago, Merilly said:

It's not that TWEWY wasn't great but rather that KH3 doesn't really need more big city environments. I also can't see them in BH6 since the characters seem to be bound by their actual plot from the game, unlike most of the FF characters who partly have different personalities and backgrounds.

Another reason would be that they weren't really fleshed out in DDD and would require a bit more work to function in their own world as more than somewhat shallow interactions. Unless you played TWEWY, their inclusion was confusing and even as someone who has played the game, it felt lackluster.

KH3 is about resolutions. I feel like TWEWY's plot would be something that could span more than one game and would feel unfulfilling in KH3. I would definitely like to see it used beyond KH3 when they have more time to focus on the characters and their story since it doesn't seem to be something they can do in the span of one Disney world. I'm fully content with just having the original KH characters.

I would honestly be more disappointed if Leon & Co. do not appear. They may not be as important anymore but I still feel fond of them because they did play roles beyond the confines of their own world. They grew up in Radiant Garden and are now working to rebuilt it, so if we're talking about "resolutions", I of course want to see what they accomplished. Because it was them who also fought for their home even though they weren't responsible for its destruction. Having them removed just like that, or even Radiant Garden as a world you can't visit, would be such a waste without a proper conclusion. It has such potential and while Nomura does not feel the need for FF as much as before, then you could also say the same about some of the Disney stuff. (Honestly, I'd be immensely disappointed if 100 Acre Wood returns but not Yuffie, Leon, etc.)

TWEWY on the other hand... their cameo was great but I don't really feel much of a connection between them and KH. At least not much more than between them and any other characters they met once. And as I already said, their world is too similar to BH6 and perhaps Monstropolis, but their story too complex to have it be some side story in San Fransokyo.

Though to be fair, they'll also need new worlds in the future. :D

At the end of the day one can hope right? Didn't think they would be but you never know. I mean kh3 will finally be coming out here in 2 months. Something that we have long waited for and had no idea back in 2006 what to expect as far as the story goes and what all would take place. TWEWY could be implemented well if Nomura really wanted to. It's not really much of a deal breaker if they were or not for anyone tho. Just funny how they made it in DD kinda scatterbrained around. 

9 minutes ago, VENROXAS said:

At the end of the day one can hope right? Didn't think they would be but you never know. I mean kh3 will finally be coming out here in 2 months. Something that we have long waited for and had no idea back in 2006 what to expect as far as the story goes and what all would take place. TWEWY could be implemented well if Nomura really wanted to. It's not really much of a deal breaker if they were or not for anyone tho. Just funny how they made it in DD kinda scatterbrained around. 

Oh, I didn't mean to say you couldn't hope. It was not out of the question anyway that that it would appear after all. Not a deal breaker either, but I would admittedly be a bit disappointed if they included yet another city-themed world. I have nothing against them but that would be one to many in my opinion since I'd like to see some variety.

Of course each city is different but the colors are more similar to each other than let's say a desert and the depths of the ocean. It would be nice if the remaining worlds would implement other colors than primarily grey.

So yeah, it's not a deal breaker but it would be boring to have basically the same environment three times in a game that lets you travel to a vast variety of worlds. That's not to say they couldn't implement the story of TWEWY but I'd rather they save that for the next game. 

4 hours ago, VENROXAS said:

TWEWY is a fantastic game. But I really did not like the cameos in DDD. (actually, I didn't like most characters in DDD and that includes Sora himself, and I love Sora)

But to be fair, I have no clue why but I've always expected them to not return in KH3

Seeing how there have been no FF worlds and Nomura saying FF characters are not as much needed as they were before, as well as their being a limited number of worlds, I saw this coming. Now, I have not played the game myself (yet anyway) so I'm not that upset but I understand if others are. It can be hard getting your hopes up for something and it not happening.  

I'm not at all surprised. I don't think there's much else they can do with those characters, unless they want to chuck them into another reaper game or something. It was cool to have them in KH3D, but I think it would be better to include a cameo from some other Square Enix games. There are also plenty of FF characters that we haven't seen yet.

Edited by Allwil13