Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Leamax

UPDATED: Sneak peek of the Kingdom Hearts III opening cinematics revealed; featuring "Face My Fears" by Utada Hikaru and Skrillex

A sneak peek of the opening for Kingdom Hearts III has been revealed along with the new theme song "Face My Fears" by Utada Hikaru and Skrillex.

You can view the English version below.

You can also watch the Japanese version below!

Kingdom Hearts III director Tetsuya Nomura also tweeted the following:

Good evening. First of all, congratulations to Utada Hikaru for her 20th [career] anniversary. This time, I will publish the video for the [Kingdom Hearts III] opening song ' Face My Fears ' by Ms Utada and Skrillex. Since it is a new song, the full version has not been made public, but I have edited this from [clips from] the opening. See you next on the 16th.
-Nomura

Translation provided by KH13 News Member @xionskeyblade.

Update December 11: We have compiled interpretations of the English lyrics and the translations of the Japanese lyrics, which you can read below.

English:
breath... should i take a deep...?
faith... should i take a leap...
taste... what a bittersweet...
all my, all my life.
let me face, let me face, let me face my fears
won't be long, won't be long, i'm almost here
watch me cry all my tears.

Japanese:
Hey, exactly how much
Hey, can I smile?
I want to tell you something
Despite all this
I don't need you to say that my map is useless
I'll run my own path.

An extra line in the Japanese version can be heard on Utada Hikaru's website, where she seems to sing: "Hey, ever since I was born..."

Thanks to aitaikimochi for the translation for the lyrics and KH13's Solis for the extra line's translation!

UPDATE: We have updated our gallery with screenshots from the "Face My Fears" trailer. You can view them in the gallery below! (Thanks to KH13 Staff member @HaakonHawk for the screenshots)

View full article

Edited by Leamax

GREAT SNEAK PEEK!!! And with that folks, this is the final nail on the Disney worlds. There's still a chance for original worlds like Radiant Garden, but there's no way they announce more Disney worlds after the opening. I would've liked one more just to match KH1, but these worlds are going to be way bigger than those, and we have a nice lineup to boot :)

13 minutes ago, Green Sparrow said:

GREAT SNEAK PEEK!!! And with that folks, this is the final nail on the Disney worlds. There's still a chance for original worlds like Radiant Garden, but there's no way they announce more Disney worlds after the opening. I would've liked one more just to match KH1, but these worlds are going to be way bigger than those, and we have a nice lineup to boot :)

Let's not jump to conclusions. Remember in that one interview Nomura said there were a few left and only 100 Acre Wood was confirmed after that interview. So unless there was a translation issue or Nomura was lying, there should be at least one more left. Now, it might be something like Disney Castle, but that's besides the point. xP And I think Jump Festa is gonna annouce some worlds too, hopefully some confirmation for original worlds cause we only know like two or three confirmed ones.

Edited by Tyranto Rex

Man this intro is amazing. I don't understand the hate for the opening song from the fans, but I guess it's just because everyone isn't quite use to it yet since they're all so used to Simple & Clean and Sanctuary. But this was a nice video to wake up to in the morning.

7 hours ago, Seyin95 said:

I hope that allusion to Roxas being a darkness and facing Lea is a red herring. 

The possibility is there since it was very similar to KH2's fight between them. It could be like in past openings where they simply did a recap of a lot of events from past games without being 100% accurate.

Apart from that, I'm not a fan of the song. I don't blame that on Skrillex and neither on Utada, and I wouldn't go as far as saying either of them ruined it, it's simply not my cup of tea. The high pitch and the jarring sounds mixing together are grating on my ears, especially because I'm really sensitive to sound. But that's not their fault, it's simply a different genre and I'll just deal with it in the same way I'll deal with Chikai. Both will only be there for around 4 minutes and the rest will be different.

Otherwise, the opening is noticeably darker in regard to colors, which is probably fitting the premise of the final battle theme. But it still looks stunning and I do enjoy the different style in CGI ever since 0.2. It feels more native to KH while all previous openings leaned more toward Final Fantasy in my opinion.

It's also interesting that Young Xehanort seems to have a different eye color and I doubt it's a mistake this time. Ever since Terranort had brown eyes in BBS, I wondered if Xehanort actually had a different look altogether before becoming more interested in darkness. Of course it could possibly be the influence of Eraqus or colors mixing, but Terra has blue eyes so it always struck me as odd why he would have brown eyes as Terranort.

All in all, I'm happy that this part of the trailer doesn't spoil much, if anything at all. It looks more like previous openings which were more or less a compilation of events from the past and it would be suitable if the full opening retains that. We don't really need the opening to spoil anything like the secret ending of KH2 and opening of BBS did for that game.

Edited by Merilly

Watched this at work because I couldn't wait till I got home. Now I can't get the excited grin off my face. And I didn't even watch it with sound! Pretty sure I'm going to die of excited when i hear the song.

I've seen a lot of complaints about Skrillex's involvement on this song, but I think Square have done a good job in trying to ride the EDM wave and tap into the western audience. I mean, I think it fits well with the cinematics plus it's hype! This is supposed to be the final battle we gotta get pumped for it!

20 minutes ago, Tails said:

Man this intro is amazing. I don't understand the hate for the opening song from the fans, but I guess it's just because everyone isn't quite use to it yet since they're all so used to Simple & Clean and Sanctuary. But this was a nice video to wake up to in the morning.

It might take some getting used to it personally for me. That said I don't think it's a bad song by any means. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe it won't, who knows? I do really love the beginning of the song though.

17 minutes ago, Merilly said:

It's also interesting that Young Xehanort seems to have a different eye color and I doubt it's a mistake this time. Ever since Terranort had brown eyes in BBS, I wondered if Xehanort actually had a different look altogether before becoming more interested in darkness. Of course it could possibly be the influence of Eraqus or colors mixing, but Terra has blue eyes so it always struck me as odd why he would have brown eyes as Terranort.

I really hope they go into more depth with Xehanort cause I feel like he could have a lot of potential, he just has not reached it yet. 

Kingdom Hearts 3 opening was amazing and pretty hype! But I feel like some of the parts was cut. I think it's not the full opening movie. My favorite part was seeing Xion in Unreal Engine! Not feeling the new opening song but in time I think I'll get used to it. Don't Think Twice is still better in my opinion. Anyway, I'm hype for to play this game!

53 minutes ago, DemyxIsBest said:

I've seen a lot of complaints about Skrillex's involvement on this song, but I think Square have done a good job in trying to ride the EDM wave and tap into the western audience. I mean, I think it fits well with the cinematics plus it's hype! This is supposed to be the final battle we gotta get pumped for it!

To be honest, I don't think Skrillex deserves the complaints. I don't like EDM as a whole, but it wouldn't have made a difference if they had chosen someone else. It would still have been EDM because that's apparently the direction SE/Disney wanted to go with this. Which isn't to my liking but not everything has to be.

This genre is just what Skrillex does. Of course there's a large variety within the realms of that genre, but that was to be expected. And it's not like he's to blame for doing what he does. I listened to his music before to get a sample of what to expect and while it's a little more subdued than some of his other works, this opening song fits into what he usually creates. It's not what I enjoy listening to, but if I were a fan of EDM, I wouldn't consider what he did a bad job.

He's been involved in the entire song and even if he hadn't, there's no telling if it would have turned into another Chikai, which wasn't my cup of tea either.

I think it's okay to say they don't like it. You can't really argue about taste after all and EDM isn't to everyone's liking. That won't change with stunning visuals either. But I also think it's a little unfair to blame Skrillex and claim he ruined the song. Which we can hardly determine since we don't know how it would have sounded without him.

I don't think I will ever come to like it, but I do think it fits the genre they were trying to achieve. It's not exactly what I hoped for but then again, most opening songs weren't all that fitting in terms of lyrics for example.

The problem in this isn't Skrillex in my opinion but rather the decision to go with EDM. Which is only an issue on an entirely subjective level since others obviously like it.

This opening is amazing. I love the song but I'm surprised lot of people want Simple and Clean or Sanctuary for the song. I love those songs but its good to hear something new. I love when Xehanort looks at the sky in the beginning at the purple light. By the way did anybody notice that he has grey eyes?

I haven't really listened to dubstep or EDM that often in order to form an opinion on the genre itself, but I'm actually really liking the song and Utada's voice is so beautiful at the beginning half of it. Love her voice! I'm not going to lie, even though this a sneak peak, this opening already made me cry. The visuals are stunning and I'm always a sucker for all the main characters' eyes since they are always so pretty in the openings. 

Edited by ITzDarthLordRevan

A

15 minutes ago, Merilly said:

To be honest, I don't think Skrillex deserves the complaints. I don't like EDM as a whole, but it wouldn't have made a difference if they had chosen someone else. It would still have been EDM because that's apparently the direction SE/Disney wanted to go with this. Which isn't to my liking but not everything has to be.

This genre is just what Skrillex does. Of course there's a large variety within the realms of that genre, but that was to be expected. And it's not like he's to blame for doing what he does. I listened to his music before to get a sample of what to expect and while it's a little more subdued than some of his other works, this opening song fits into what he usually creates. It's not what I enjoy listening to, but if I were a fan of EDM, I wouldn't consider what he did a bad job.

He's been involved in the entire song and even if he hadn't, there's no telling if it would have turned into another Chikai, which wasn't my cup of tea either.

I think it's okay to say they don't like it. You can't really argue about taste after all and EDM isn't to everyone's liking. That won't change with stunning visuals either. But I also think it's a little unfair to blame Skrillex and claim he ruined the song. Which we can hardly determine since we don't know how it would have sounded without him.

I don't think I will ever come to like it, but I do think it fits the genre they were trying to achieve. It's not exactly what I hoped for but then again, most opening songs weren't all that fitting in terms of lyrics for example.

The problem in this isn't Skrillex in my opinion but rather the decision to go with EDM. Which is only an issue on an entirely subjective level since others obviously like it.

Wasn't the last Simple and Clean mix EDM as well? Maybe I'm mistaken, but the Ray of Hope Remix didn't sound all that different from EDM and everyone seemed to like it. And the PlanitB Remix was electronica which is basically EDM's predecessor. I personally like the song, especially lyrically.

Edited by PrinceNoctis

Thank you for showing this to us, Leamax!

Good lord, and this is just a sneak peek of the full opening? I'm going to die when I see the full thing, to be honest! It's insane to think just how close we are to finally having the game in our hands! If there was ever any doubt, if ever there was any more need for proof that the game is finished and already about to release, this is all the more proof for the naysayers! Good lord, this opening, well, the sneak peek, was beautiful!

It's so emotional, and the cinematic is encapsulating and basically visually summarizing everything that's happened in the KH series as of now! I honestly couldn't be happier with these amazing visuals, and if this is just what the sneak peek is, the full opening will be heart stopping for sure! :D

The time is almost upon us, my dear friends, ladies and gentlemen...we are almost at the endgame! Good lord, what a time to be alive! :D