Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Leamax

UPDATED: Sneak peek of the Kingdom Hearts III opening cinematics revealed; featuring "Face My Fears" by Utada Hikaru and Skrillex

1 hour ago, Merilly said:

I think that's fine. xD People just enjoy different things and even if you don't like a particular genre, there could still be a song or two you can enjoy despite that. I see no reason to degrade the quality of the song just because it doesn't suit my fancy. And I'm also glad I'm not being rebuked for not liking it either like I've seen happen over on tumblr for example where people claimed that if it wouldn't be Skrillex then people would love it (which makes no sense because I didn't even know who he was before the announcement and I dare say a lot of people have no idea as well). 

Where have the times gone when you could just dislike something without others saying you're a weeb? Why is it that it's suddenly wrong in some people's eyes to love it because they claim everyone is blinded by the franchise? Music is so subjective and we are unable to even explain ehy we dislike it at times. It's sad that people can't come to the agreement that there's no objectively "bad" or "good" music?

I really appreciate your understanding of my issues and I still enjoy the opening by itself. I'll just have to turn down the volume quite a bit but that won't diminish my enioyment by a huge margin. 

It's not entirely wrong to say that some people have judged the song because Skrillex is apart of it. A lot of the criticism is directed solely at him even though the whole song is a collaborative effort. I've seen some people say that the song was good until "the Skrillex part", but the whole song is the Skrillex part since he's the main producer lol. And honestly, I have seen a tendency from fans of japanese media to dislike collaborations between popular western artists and japanese studios or artists just for the heck of it. For example, when Ariana Grande collaborated with Square Enix for Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, everyone was hating on her and the song just because she's Ariana Grande (even if you don't like her, she's a STELLAR vocalist and Square Enix worked on a beautiful orchestral arrangement of her song). So I understand where they're coming from. Some opinions out there just seem...unfounded and people are being very rude and harsh towards Skrillex. So other people are responding to the harsh comments with more harsh comments lol. No one should feel like they can't share their opinion without being attacked. This theme song situation seems to be causing a lot of turmoil for nothing. It's just a song and the cool thing is, this time around, we have two theme songs so we got options lol. 

1 hour ago, PrinceNoctis said:

It's not entirely wrong to say that some people have judged the song because Skrillex is apart of it. A lot of the criticism is directed solely at him even though the whole song is a collaborative effort. I've seen some people say that the song was good until "the Skrillex part", but the whole song is the Skrillex part since he's the main producer lol. And honestly, I have seen a tendency from fans of japanese media to dislike collaborations between popular western artists and japanese studios or artists just for the heck of it. For example, when Ariana Grande collaborated with Square Enix for Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, everyone was hating on her and the song just because she's Ariana Grande (even if you don't like her, she's a STELLAR vocalist and Square Enix worked on a beautiful orchestral arrangement of her song). So I understand where they're coming from. Some opinions out there just seem...unfounded and people are being very rude and harsh towards Skrillex. So other people are responding to the harsh comments with more harsh comments lol. No one should feel like they can't share their opinion without being attacked. This theme song situation seems to be causing a lot of turmoil for nothing. It's just a song and the cool thing is, this time around, we have two theme songs so we got options lol. 

And even if we didn't have options, those are just two songs. We will hear thoee at the end and the beginning but that's likely it. It's not like the rest of the OST will be like that, it's not even something we'll have to listen to throughout.

I'm not sure they hated on Skrillex because it's Skrillex or because his main genre is EDM. Some people don't want to see that KH openings always had EDM components, albeit a bit more subdued. Since I don't like that genre, I didn't even know him and I'm not sure that all people who hate the song do so because of him in particular. I guess it's more along the lines of the other argument you presented. That people are opposed to a western artist participating in that. Otherwise I don't see a reason to hate on Skrillex in particular, though I admit that I know next to nothing about him.

Still, venting their frustration on him is wrong. Everyone is allowed to hate the song but they can't act like Skrillex is solely responsible for the parts they don't like. He's done the entire song together with Utada and the song was approved. 

In regard to FFBE, I must say that I dislike the incorporation of Ariana Grande and Katy Perry. Not because I dislike them as a person but rather that they have little to do with Final Fantasy. The collabs so far were at least from video games, most, if not all, of them SE properties but both of these idols have never done anything for the game and there are still so many other characters they could make a unit of. I guess that's what most people are ridiculing about this. It doesn't deserve an outrage, but it's a questionable marketing procedure to lure in a different demographic. Many people who play FFBE don't really care about that type of music or if they do, it's not to a degree that they would like units of real people in the game. It's a fantasy game after all and both of them don't really fit into it.

It has little to do with their voices or their songs in my opinion, despite disliking the direction Ariana Grande went even though she has such a good voice, but rather with this being useless in a game that uses a fantasy setting and for no real reason other than promotion. Yeah, they've done great arrangements, but it's still questionable why there are units of those two but not of other game characters instead. Personally, I don't care about them and would not even attempt to draw those units if they weren't free.

As I said, it doesn't deserve hate. I just feel no excitement for them because I don't worship idols and the persona they create for the public. Their music isn't exactly my favorite either, regardless of their vocal talent. I know less about them than about a regular NPC, so I don't really feel inclined to spare a shred of sympathy for them, considering that a lot of fictional characters moved me more than either of them did. I guess that's why most aren't exactly thrilled. They chose artists which might not appeal to a majority of the game's regular gamers so it's no wonder they won't receive applause for that decision.

It seems more like a poor marketing decision based on what is currently popular on the western market without looking at what's popular among those playing the game. I'm not saying no one likes the two of them but quite a number of gamers and Final Fantasy addicts don't listen to what's considered popular but rather to other genres. To them it probably seems like a misjudged understanding of what the people like and not asking for what they actually want. Even though those two are widely known and popular by mainstream standards, that might not hold true for another part of popular culture.

Edited by Merilly

57 minutes ago, Merilly said:

And even if we didn't have options, those are just two songs. We will hear thoee at the end and the beginning but that's likely it. It's not like the rest of the OST will be like that, it's not even something we'll have to listen to throughout.

I'm not sure they hated on Skrillex because it's Skrillex or because his main genre is EDM. Some people don't want to see that KH openings always had EDM components, albeit a bit more subdued. Since I don't like that genre, I didn't even know him and I'm not sure that all people who hate the song do so because of him in particular. I guess it's more along the lines of the other argument you presented. That people are opposed to a western artist participating in that. Otherwise I don't see a reason to hate on Skrillex in particular, though I admit that I know next to nothing about him.

Still, venting their frustration on him is wrong. Everyone is allowed to hate the song but they can't act like Skrillex is solely responsible for the parts they don't like. He's done the entire song together with Utada and the song was approved. 

In regard to FFBE, I must say that I dislike the incorporation of Ariana Grande and Katy Perry. Not because I dislike them as a person but rather that they have little to do with Final Fantasy. The collabs so far were at least from video games, most, if not all, of them SE properties but both of these idols have never done anything for the game and there are still so many other characters they could make a unit of. I guess that's what most people are ridiculing about this. It doesn't deserve an outrage, but it's a questionable marketing procedure to lure in a different demographic. Many people who play FFBE don't really care about that type of music or if they do, it's not to a degree that they would like units of real people in the game. It's a fantasy game after all and both of them don't really fit into it.

It has little to do with their voices or their songs in my opinion, despite disliking the direction Ariana Grande went even though she has such a good voice, but rather with this being useless in a game that uses a fantasy setting and for no real reason other than promotion. Yeah, they've done great arrangements, but it's still questionable why there are units of those two but not of other game characters instead. Personally, I don't care about them and would not even attempt to draw those units if they weren't free.

As I said, it doesn't deserve hate. I just feel no excitement for them because I don't worship idols and the persona they create for the public. Their music isn't exactly my favorite either, regardless of their vocal talent. I know less about them than about a regular NPC, so I don't really feel inclined to spare a shred of sympathy for them, considering that a lot of fictional characters moved me more than either of them did. I guess that's why most aren't exactly thrilled. They chose artists which might not appeal to a majority of the game's regular gamers so it's no wonder they won't receive applause for that decision.

It seems more like a poor marketing decision based on what is currently popular on the western market without looking at what's popular among those playing the game. I'm not saying no one likes the two of them but quite a number of gamers and Final Fantasy addicts don't listen to what's considered popular but rather to other genres. To them it probably seems like a misjudged understanding of what the people like and not asking for what they actually want. Even though those two are widely known and popular by mainstream standards, that might not hold true for another part of popular culture.

Maybe that's just my perception of things but some people seemed to have made up their minds before hearing the song because they didn't like Skrillex's music from a few years back.

I respect your opinion and I agree when it comes to Ariana Grande and Katy Perry actually being in the game, that was a weird decision, but from a strictly musical stand point, I don't really understand the complaints. Sure, Final Fantasy fans might not like Ariana Grande's music, but Square rearranged her song completely so that it could be enjoyable for them. It was smart. They knew Ariana Grande could bring in a new demographic, but they still tried to cater to their current audience with an orchestral arrangement. And Ariana did say she was a "Final Fantasy" fan. I don't know about Katy Perry though.

I just think it's weird how gamers react to western artists in japanese media. It's not about the artist, it's about the music they deliver. Square doesn't have to choose artists that the fans want, they should choose artists that they believe will deliver a product that's artistically satisfying. When they decided to work with Utada for KH, they did it because they thought she was a talented artist and because she could reach a wide audience. Same reason they collaborated with Grande. Yet Utada gets praised because...? I just wish people would focus on the actual songs more instead of artists. And I wish they were able to actually discuss their opinions peacefully like we're doing.

42 minutes ago, PrinceNoctis said:

Maybe that's just my perception of things but some people seemed to have made up their minds before hearing the song because they didn't like Skrillex's music from a few years back.

I respect your opinion and I agree when it comes to Ariana Grande and Katy Perry actually being in the game, that was a weird decision, but from a strictly musical stand point, I don't really understand the complaints. Sure, Final Fantasy fans might not like Ariana Grande's music, but Square rearranged her song completely so that it could be enjoyable for them. It was smart. They knew Ariana Grande could bring in a new demographic, but they still tried to cater to their current audience with an orchestral arrangement. And Ariana did say she was a "Final Fantasy" fan. I don't know about Katy Perry though.

I just think it's weird how gamers react to western artists in japanese media. It's not about the artist, it's about the music they deliver. Square doesn't have to choose artists that the fans want, they should choose artists that they believe will deliver a product that's artistically satisfying. When they decided to work with Utada for KH, they did it because they thought she was a talented artist and because she could reach a wide audience. Same reason they collaborated with Grande. Yet Utada gets praised because...? I just wish people would focus on the actual songs more instead of artists. And I wish they were able to actually discuss their opinions peacefully like we're doing.

That's true. I've also seen lots of opinions before it's even out. Since I didn't know much about him, I looker him up but to be honest, that didn't really change my neutral stance of having to wait for the final product. I'm not the type to stick to one or two bands or artists in particular and deem everything they do good or bad. It's a song to song thing. Some I think of as not so great, others are fantastic. I could like 10 songs of one artist and detest the 11th or the other way around. That's why I don't think it's fair to judge before hearing it.

But you are right that a considerable number of people are opposed to western influences in Japanese media for no real reason. I don't get why Utada gets celebrated for the song as if her part was great withtout realizing that Skrillex also took part in that arrangement. (Maybe not in the lyrics since I'm not sure if Skrillex knows Japanese but the rest also counts. It's not like he was only responsible for the part where it becomes really EDM). And we also don't know if it would have been better without him or someone else. Subjectively better, that is. I wouldn't even mind it that much if it weren't for my condition. It may not have been my favorite song ever, but that's not something I expect.

I may not like the direction where Ariana Grande has gone, but she undebiably has a great voice and actual talent in that regard in comparison to other artists. Katy Perry too, I guess. It's not my style but it's something I can understand a lot of people liking since it caters to what's popular at the moment. To be honest, even if I'm not interested in the units, I can't really say it bothers me. I'll have a good laugh about it and since she's not part of the story, I couldn't care less. I think it would be a different matter if she suddenly had been written into the canon but since that's not the case I don't understand the turmoil.

I also want different units but that's always the case. Sometimes we get things we don't care about, sometimes we get stuff we want. SE really tried hard to implement them and also make their music more appealing to those who do not like it. And neither Perry nor Grande are people where I deem it terrible since they're not that... self-centered? I dunno, they're not bad choices for people to look up to. I could imagine idols which would be terrible icons.

You're also right that people should look more at the music itself than the artist. Some people are solely hating on things which are "mainstream" and won't even give it a chance because they want to remain special snowflakes who only like the non-popular stuff. Which isn't to say that people can't genuinely dislike or love something, but it's important to keep an open mind and judge things individually. As I said, songs from the same artist can be completely different.

There's nothing to say against peaceful discussions. I value your opinion on the song just as much as I do mine and you have the right to love the song and consider it the best opening theme in the series. I don't see a reason to criticize that and vice versa. I also wish that people wouldn't be so fast to jump on certain bandwagons which are rather elitist. I've seen so many comments of those calling the other extreme names becauee they don't realize how great or terrible the song is. Because those which are against western influence are opposed by those who blindly worship everything KH-related as well and neither view is without consequences and problems.

As you said, there's nothing against a peaceful discussion but at the end of the day, those that can't come to terms with music being subjective shouldn't fight about something they won't be able to change. I can't make anyone dislike the song and neither can you make anyone like the song by fighting about it. 

Still, it's interesting to hear different opinions on the matter if they're formulated like yours, even if we don't have the same sentiment toward the song.

Okay I gave in and watched the cinematic muted.

GAHHHHH ITS SO PRETTY

I don't think the song will bother me too much when I do hear it but even if it does I'll be fine with it. There are some people (not here) who are acting as if EDM has no basis in KH.

To those people I say,

Bruh.... Did you even listen to simple and clean? Electronic stuff everywhere. To be honest I didn't like simple and clean when I first heard it but I got used to it. That's why I don't mind too much about the music. Generally speaking if it's not mumbly I don't mind it.

Now let me put my complaining hat on.

Roxas looks...... Off to me somehow. I can't figure out why exactly but Ven looks completely fine to me. I'll rewatch to figure out the problem but I was just wondering if anyone else felt that way.

Also the chess pieces! We have more to discuss! Maybe if this was even a few months back I'd be raring to go but I'm kinda tired these days. If I get inspiration while rewatching I'll definitely post though.

1 hour ago, RikuFangirl2008 said:

I really love the opening theme! 

I have a question though just to make sure. Is it EDM or Dubstep? Some are saying EDM and others are saying Dubstep. 

I personally think this is more in the realm of Dubstep. The opening version of Simple and Clean had much more of an EDM sound.

2 minutes ago, 2 quid is good said:

That must be where the final battle takes place

Plot twist: Skrillex was the real villain all along and serves as the final boss! YOu have to stop him and destroy his evil turntables of doom!

On 12/11/2018 at 5:41 PM, PrinceNoctis said:

@Leamax The extra line is also heard in English on the website. It says "Lose...soon I've nothing to..."

Source: http://www.utadahikaru.jp/music/single/title_26.html

If you're looking for a better quality preview with those extra lines, iTunes Japan Store previews for the Japanese and English versions of Face My Fears includes them - full 1:30 previews. Too bad there's no way to rip previews from the iTunes Store...