Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Scsigs

Why Do So Many Fans Seem to Think Leonard Nimoy Recorded Xehanort's Dialogue?

This is something I see online like on YouTube & TV Tropes. Why do so many KH fans seem to think he did? First of all, he died in 2015, 3 years before the dub was recorded & 2 years before translation started for it. Then the trailers show someone who sounds like Gowasu from Dragon Ball Super's dub. The way these productions go, while Xehanort's Japanese VA might've recorded his dialogue before he died, Nimoy didn't. Hell, Nomura might not have had a finished script for the dialogue by 2015. So, why do people think Nimoy did?

2 minutes ago, Scsigs said:

This is something I see online like on YouTube & TV Tropes. Why do so many KH fans seem to think he did? First of all, he died in 2015, 3 years before the dub was recorded & 2 years before translation started for it. Then the trailers show someone who sounds like Gowasu from Dragon Ball Super's dub. The way these productions go, while Xehanort's Japanese VA might've recorded his dialogue before he died, Nimoy didn't. Hell, Nomura might not have had a finished script for the dialogue by 2015. So, why do people think Nimoy did?

I think it's a matter of hope because Nimoy as Xehanort seems irreplaceable.

Kind of odd some believe that but I can see if people want to still think that Nimoy recorded prior to death. The new VA for Xehanort is a bit different but it's still similar to Nimoy to me. 

Ha, I remember that I was one of those hopeful that yearned for Mr. Nimoy to have recorded his lines for Xehanort before his death, but alas, it was not to be. Bless his soul, and may he rest in peace! :'(

I gotta say though, the person voicing Xehanort now is not doing so bad for himself, ya know? While the gravely rasp that Nimoy delivered for the character is gone, Xehanort's voice still sounds verily similar, just without that much of a rasp, ya know? I've already gotten used to his voice, as a matter of fact!

Let's give this voice actor a shot! I heard some people say it's Mark Hamil, and if it is, I'm impressed, because he's able to make his voice sound different enough from Eraqus's! And Mark Hamill is a legendary voice actor!

4 hours ago, PrinceNoctis said:

Xehanort's new voice actor is doing a pretty good job. Maybe some people can't make the difference?

No. This was before the trailers came out that I saw these people saying stuff like that.

3 hours ago, Potato head harvey said:

I've never really heard anyone saying nimoy recorded the lines. Maybe i'm not in the right places

Youtube & I think Twitter are where I've seen that being thrown around. Even some people on TV Tropes when they delete anyone's edits saying their reason for doing so is that "we don't know that yet." Well, now we do.

3 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Ha, I remember that I was one of those hopeful that yearned for Mr. Nimoy to have recorded his lines for Xehanort before his death, but alas, it was not to be. Bless his soul, and may he rest in peace! :'(

I gotta say though, the person voicing Xehanort now is not doing so bad for himself, ya know? While the gravely rasp that Nimoy delivered for the character is gone, Xehanort's voice still sounds verily similar, just without that much of a rasp, ya know? I've already gotten used to his voice, as a matter of fact!

Let's give this voice actor a shot! I heard some people say it's Mark Hamill, and if it is, I'm impressed, because he's able to make his voice sound different enough from Eraqus's! And Mark Hamill is a legendary voice actor!

No it doesn't. It doesn't even remotely sound like Nimoy. It's not just the rasp. The entire voice tone is different. I mean, the guy could've at least tried, but then again, Nimoy's voice was naturally raspy with age.

3 hours ago, Potato head harvey said:

It has to be mark hamill, it sounds just like him. I'm honestly starting to like this new xehanort voice. It's not nimoy, but it's still kind of fitting.

It's NOT Hamill. What proof do you have other than hearsay? First of all, if Hamill's playing any character, it would probably be old Eraqus. Second, that voice sounds too distinct to be Hamill, it doesn't sound "just like him". Third, not really. It's a completely different flavor than Nimoy's voice, who's tone was so distinct. Hell, James Patrick Stuart has a much closer ranger to Nimoy, & is even doing a sort of impression of his voice for Xigbar, as evidenced by one of the trailers. They should've gotten him to do it.

9 hours ago, Scsigs said:

I assume people think that because the first trailer we got was in 2013 and so were under the assumption that the game was allready in development enougj for voice work. Which we later found out is done only just this year

The new voice is definitely not Leonard Nimoy. Don't get me wrong, the new actor is pretty good, but I don't think anyone will really be able to perfectly emulate Nimoy's voice since it was so distinctive. It's kind of like Corey Burton voicing Frollo in La Cite Des Cloches in KH3D; he did a great job and it was a great sound-alike, but it was still obviously not Tony Jay. I imagine people are just thinking that maybe he recorded his lines ludicriously early.

8 hours ago, Scsigs said:

No. This was before the trailers came out that I saw these people saying stuff like that.

Well then it must be because some people were led to believe, by a mistaken Bill Farmer, that some voice actors had already finished recording their lines for KHIII in 2015, so maybe they assumed it was the case for Leonard Nimoy.

Wishful thinking. 

Personally whilst the new guy is doing a good job so far, I don’t exactly think it fits the “Master” Xehanort so to say. More like a Xehanort in his adult years. Still, this is the voice we got so meh, can’t complain.

woukd have rather Robert Englund though. 

On 12/22/2018 at 12:14 PM, Allwil13 said:

The new voice is definitely not Leonard Nimoy. Don't get me wrong, the new actor is pretty good, but I don't think anyone will really be able to perfectly emulate Nimoy's voice since it was so distinctive. It's kind of like Corey Burton voicing Frollo in La Cite Des Cloches in KH3D; he did a great job and it was a great sound-alike, but it was still obviously not Tony Jay. I imagine people are just thinking that maybe he recorded his lines ludicriously early.

Well it can be a bit darker but mayby the other lines are better he was good in the last trailer.

Just now, KH4Real said:

Well it can be a bit darker but mayby the other lines are better he was good in the last trailer.

Oh yeah, Ii'm not saying the actor is bad. Like I said it's a decent sound-alike and he's doing pretty good so far. All I'm saying is that it's definitely not Leonard Nimoy.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:12 AM, KiraNort said:

Wishful thinking. 

Personally whilst the new guy is doing a good job so far, I don’t exactly think it fits the “Master” Xehanort so to say. More like a Xehanort in his adult years. Still, this is the voice we got so meh, can’t complain.

woukd have rather Robert Englund though. 

I personally think it fits, but the new voice actor does sound younger compared to Leonard Nimoy.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:32 AM, Scsigs said:

No it doesn't. It doesn't even remotely sound like Nimoy. It's not just the rasp. The entire voice tone is different. I mean, the guy could've at least tried, but then again, Nimoy's voice was naturally raspy with age.

Nimoy is irreplaceable, that's true. But well, if Square settled on old man Nort's new voice actor, I imagine it's because they must've thought that he was pretty good. I bet that if we hear more of his lines throughout the game, we might change our minds! I certainly don't mind his new voice, but I do miss Nimoy's, as it was powerful, and as you said, naturally raspy with age and different in tone.

Edited by The Transcendent Key