Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
NoHeartVersed

Utada Hikaru and Skrillex's EP Face My Fears reaches number one in the iTunes International Album chart

The World Music Awards Twitter account has announced that Utada Hikaru's latest EP, Face My Fears has rocketed to number one on the iTunes International Album chart; only a day after it's release! 

The EP contains the Kingdom Hearts III opening song Face my Fears in both English and Japanese, as well as the English ending theme, Don't Think Twice and its Japanese counterpart Chikai (誓い).

"Face My Fears" is available worldwide; the album song can be bought from the Apple Store, Google Play Music, and Amazon as well as streamed on Spotify. For lyrics and more information, click here.

Are you glad to see Utada's music receiving so much attention? Let us know what you think of the songs in the comments below!

View full article

I wonder if this would have still been the case if it weren't related to KH. I know she has a fanbase outside of the franchise but I'm not sure if that would be enough to reach a #1 ranking in the international charts.

I don't mean anything bad by this despite my dislike for the songs but if it weren't for KH, I wouldn't even know Skrillex or Utada exist. It's still good for them and I don't think it's undeserved, regardless of personal preferences.

Gotta say, absolutely love "Face My Fears" and I'm glad it's doing so well on the album charts. Can't wait to enjoy it at its FULLEST when I first see the entire KH3 opening.

50 minutes ago, Merilly said:

I wonder if this would have still been the case if it weren't related to KH. I know she has a fanbase outside of the franchise but I'm not sure if that would be enough to reach a #1 ranking in the international charts.

I don't mean anything bad by this despite my dislike for the songs but if it weren't for KH, I wouldn't even know Skrillex or Utada exist. It's still good for them and I don't think it's undeserved, regardless of personal preferences.

Her last two full-length Japanese albums reached number 1 and 3 respectively on the US World charts, number 7 and 4 respectively on US iTunes. This EP is certainly boosted in recognition thanks to Skrillex and KH, but her other releases have done just as well internationally, recently.

24 minutes ago, princesst3a said:

Her last two full-length Japanese albums reached number 1 and 3 respectively on the US World charts, number 7 and 4 respectively on US iTunes. This EP is certainly boosted in recognition thanks to Skrillex and KH, but her other releases have done just as well internationally, recently.

That's not what I meant. I meant whether her success in general is also due to KH since the games have been around for a very long time and I'm not sure if all her fans simply found out about her due to coincidence or ads or something or whether KH also fueled her success.

This wasn't meant to be demeaning or insulting her own work and talent, it's just an objective question which interests me since it's not that common that an artist who sings primarily Japanese songs is that recognized on an international level. 

Edited by Merilly

1 hour ago, Merilly said:

While I'm very glad Utada Hikaru is getting the attention she deserve, but I've been thinking the same thing. A part of me is thinking what if this song wasn't related to the Kingdom Hearts series and what if Skrillex wasn't involve as well? Will her song still make it to the number one spot or not? She's definitely got fan base outside of Japan. But if she wasn't part of the Kingdom Hearts franchise will her music still be getting attention as of today? I don't know because it's one of those "we may never know" situations. Anyway, even though I definitely prefer Don't Think Twice way over Face My Fears but I'm glad Face My Fears is boosting her career. And I'm glad everyone is recognizing Utada Hikaru. She's an amazing singer with great talent.

Edited by Movies798

39 minutes ago, Merilly said:

That's not what I meant. I meant whether her success in general is also due to KH since the games have been around for a very long time and I'm not sure if all her fans simply found out about her due to coincidence or ads or something or whether KH also fueled her success.

This wasn't meant to be demeaning or insulting her own work and talent, it's just an objective question which interests me since it's not that common that an artist who sings primarily Japanese songs is that recognized on an international level. 

I get what you mean. She is definitely talented, but I most certainly think she got a KH boost. I can only speak for the U.S. in general, but we really only listen to singers from our own country, with obvious exceptions from time to time. I almost never hear people mention Utada, and when they do, KH is mentioned in the next sentence. I'm sure she has a strong fanbase in Japan, but outside of Japan I think she's just mainly the "KH singer", which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it gets people to look at her album.

It's actually really odd. Gamers, Non-gamers, KH lovers, and even KH haters all seem to love that opening song for KH1 lol

I only really looked her up myself after KH1 to be completely honest, but when I went out to Japan and she was still somewhat popular out there at the time (she'd be playing in some convenience stores for example) with non-KH music. Her albums are in a few different styles but they're all pretty interesting. I do feel her KH music was some of her best work though to be completely honest and so I'm really glad this one has topped charts already :)

3 minutes ago, LunaCatte said:

I only really looked her up myself after KH1 to be completely honest, but when I went out to Japan and she was still somewhat popular out there at the time (she'd be playing in some convenience stores for example) with non-KH music. Her albums are in a few different styles but they're all pretty interesting. I do feel her KH music was some of her best work though to be completely honest and so I'm really glad this one has topped charts already :)

There's nothing bad about that. :D I think many of us have something which they've found through another medium, be it a band or game or maybe just through friends. But it's possible to then stay for the music because you liked it, regardless of KH being involved and then it isn't important how you found out about the artist but rather that you stuck with them.

Which doesn't imply that you've got to like every single song but I can't deny that I also became interested in other games due to them being mentioned elsewhere and not because I actively searched them out. Sometimes I wasn't even interested in it at first. 

So yeah, the reason may not be that important, but I still find it interesting to know somehow what lead people to their likes and dislikes. So it's nice of you to share that. After all, no one's a worse fan just because they found out about her through KH. 

I don’t think that she profits that much of the KH fanbase because the fanbases of Video games and of pop music are different ones. I doubt that many video gamers would buy music as pop music fans would do. However, I think the iTunes banner and the promotion for her songs are helping her very much.

4 hours ago, NoWay said:

I don’t think that she profits that much of the KH fanbase because the fanbases of Video games and of pop music are different ones. I doubt that many video gamers would buy music as pop music fans would do. However, I think the iTunes banner and the promotion for her songs are helping her very much.

Yea but in this case pop,kh and Skrillex fams all came together because its really a good song.

Great work everyone i bought it a few days ago and i am loving it