Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Hey guys. So I've been replaying the first Kingdom Hearts game for like the zillionth time to try and sate my desire for Kingdom Hearts III (with little success), and there's something this game had that no other entry in the series ever brought back: defensive aero magic. Aero magic in the first game was awesome! It greatly reduced defense taken and Aeroga was even able to deflect certain attacks. This made frustrating bosses easier and was a unique use of aero magic that I've never seen in any other video game, not just Kingdom Hearts.

I was so disappointed when Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories came out and Aero had become an offensive spell, and was further disappointed when Kingdom Hearts II didn't include the spell at all. Then when 358/2 Days (and all the games that followed) had it, it was just another offensive spell. Honestly, it's one of the only legitimate complaints I have about the series' use of magic. 

Am I the only one who misses the defensive Aero magic from the first Kingdom Hearts? Or do you guys agree with me? Do you think they'll ever bring this back?

I loved defensive Aero as well, but I see why they changed it considering that, as you noted, they didn't have a precedent to make it a DEFENSIVE spell and probably wanted to bring it back more in line with the FF side of things. Personally I'd love to see more defensive spells and them to expand and vary magic from its traditional roles in games past.

14 minutes ago, LunaCatte said:

I loved defensive Aero as well, but I see why they changed it considering that, as you noted, they didn't have a precedent to make it a DEFENSIVE spell and probably wanted to bring it back more in line with the FF side of things. Personally I'd love to see more defensive spells and them to expand and vary magic from its traditional roles in games past.

I'd like to see them bring this kind of thing back. It was such a clever use of magic, and there's so much more they could do. Why not have a kind of light magic that repels or decreases the damage from dark attacks? Or maybe have something like Raging Storm in Re:CoM with like flames or blades that revolve around you and damage enemies while simultaneously decreasing the damage you take? They barely scratched the surface and then they just scrapped it.

3 minutes ago, Allwil13 said:

I'd like to see them bring this kind of thing back. It was such a clever use of magic, and there's so much more they could do. Why not have a kind of light magic that repels or decreases the damage from dark attacks? Or maybe have something like Raging Storm in Re:CoM with like flames or blades that revolve around you and damage enemies while simultaneously decreasing the damage you take? They barely scratched the surface and then they just scrapped it.

That light repelling dark (and vice versa!) would be REALLY cool! And would fit the theme really well as well. The only issue would be with the numbered titles trying to focus on keeping with the standard Final Fantasy style spells instead of things like Raging Storm (which I got at the end of my most recent playthough of BBS as Aqua and it got me killed soooooooo many times against Terranort LMAO) and Faith/Salvation, etc. I think it would be wonderful to see those kinds of things come back though :(

KH1 Aero magic was amazing. Especially against super bosses and crowd control, for that extra bit of damage. Next to Cure it was my favorite spell in KH1. Don't know about COM but in Days I barely used it, only use for it I found was against one of the later bosses. Aero kinda is in Kingdom Hearts 2, it's just you can't use it. No, it's being used by Xaldin. His wind  guard thing acts basically like Aeroga in KH1. It can repel you and hit you back if you just simply jump at him. It will also hurt you if he touches you with it, just like Aeroga in KH1. Such a troll move to put a version of it in the game but not allow you to use it yourself.

49 minutes ago, SweetYetSalty said:

KH1 Aero magic was amazing. Especially against super bosses and crowd control, for that extra bit of damage. Next to Cure it was my favorite spell in KH1. Don't know about COM but in Days I barely used it, only use for it I found was against one of the later bosses. Aero kinda is in Kingdom Hearts 2, it's just you can't use it. No, it's being used by Xaldin. His wind  guard thing acts basically like Aeroga in KH1. It can repel you and hit you back if you just simply jump at him. It will also hurt you if he touches you with it, just like Aeroga in KH1. Such a troll move to put a version of it in the game but not allow you to use it yourself.

They also gave it to those giant green rhapsody heartless, whatever they were named. I wanted to toss a rock at them every time to put on that barrier and started to ominously float towards me with it =_=

29 minutes ago, LunaCatte said:

They also gave it to those giant green rhapsody heartless, whatever they were named. I wanted to toss a rock at them every time to put on that barrier and started to ominously float towards me with it =_=

Emerald Blues. Also, Magnet is your friend.

While Aero's implementation in I was unique, I never really missed it since we got the amazing Reflect spell in II (which has its own interesting applications if you know what you're doing).

27 minutes ago, Karxrida said:

While Aero's implementation in I was unique, I never really missed it since we got the amazing Reflect spell in II (which has its own interesting applications if you know what you're doing).

Oh I was a religious user of Magnet, 100% I LOVE the magnet spells LOL Gather together and let me beat you all down in one convenient floating pile :D

And true! Reflect was nicely done and very fun to mess around with :3

I also miss that defensive aero magic. saved me on numerous occasions and it also allows you to focus more on offense. You can take more damage, but also do more damage to enemies. Its something that's never been used again and that makes me sad. Fighting Chernabog on proud mode, I couldn't do it without aero, I would've been there way longer than I was. I think they should bring back some kind of defensive magic. We'll see what they do in kh3

3 hours ago, TakenKing said:

I also miss that defensive aero magic. saved me on numerous occasions and it also allows you to focus more on offense. You can take more damage, but also do more damage to enemies. Its something that's never been used again and that makes me sad. Fighting Chernabog on proud mode, I couldn't do it without aero, I would've been there way longer than I was. I think they should bring back some kind of defensive magic. We'll see what they do in kh3

I used Aero mgic religiously in KH1. It was always mapped to a button shortcut. I miss it sooooo much.

5 hours ago, Karxrida said:

Magnet was super useful in Kingdom Hearts II though I never used it until I played the game again as an adult. But now I use it all the time. Reflect was a nice addition to the series, but honestly I prefer KH1's Aero magic. Reflect only protected you for a couple of seconds and you had to time it in order for it to work properly. Having it detonate upon desintegrating was a nice touch, but I would still prefer KH1's version of Aero. Reflect just isn't the same, in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Karxrida said:

I wish I knew about Magnet sooner. I didn't start using it until the Hades Cup where it was near required. Now I use it regularly when leveling up Wisdom Form. Reflect was a good replacement once you get the timing down and it fits KH2's gameplay. Still KH1's Aero is tough to top. Sometimes you could just stand around and let the Aero shield kill weak enemies if it was strong enough and they were weak enough. It's quite funny to see.

28 minutes ago, SweetYetSalty said:

I wish I knew about Magnet sooner. I didn't start using it until the Hades Cup where it was near required. Now I use it regularly when leveling up Wisdom Form. Reflect was a good replacement once you get the timing down and it fits KH2's gameplay. Still KH1's Aero is tough to top. Sometimes you could just stand around and let the Aero shield kill weak enemies if it was strong enough and they were weak enough. It's quite funny to see.

Once I discovered the amazingness that is magnet magic, i started pairing it with thunder. I would use magnet and then once the enemies were gathering I spammed thunder till they were dead. 

But as fun as the magic in kh3 is, the lack of kh1's aero always left a bad taste in my mouth.

3 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

Once I discovered the amazingness that is magnet magic, i started pairing it with thunder. I would use magnet and then once the enemies were gathering I spammed thunder till they were dead. 

But as fun as the magic in kh3 is, the lack of kh1's aero always left a bad taste in my mouth.

Same. Magnet and Thunder is a great way to slay enemies especially when you are on a time limit and got to slay them fast. Magnet kinda feels like a replacement for Gravity in a sense. Another spell that didn't make it to KH2...to my knowledge anyway.

Another magic spell I was disappointed with in KH2 was Fire. In KH1 it was a awesome and handy fireball that you could shoot out. It's even more OP in 358/2 Days. Just shoot Riku with constant fireballs and watch his health drain. But in KH2 they made it this weird twirling fire thing and it's nowhere near as good as it was in other games. Blizzard/Ice took it's place as the projectile but it wasn't as strong as the old Fire spell either.

12 minutes ago, SweetYetSalty said:

Same. Magnet and Thunder is a great way to slay enemies especially when you are on a time limit and got to slay them fast. Magnet kinda feels like a replacement for Gravity in a sense. Another spell that didn't make it to KH2...to my knowledge anyway.

Another magic spell I was disappointed with in KH2 was Fire. In KH1 it was a awesome and handy fireball that you could shoot out. It's even more OP in 358/2 Days. Just shoot Riku with constant fireballs and watch his health drain. But in KH2 they made it this weird twirling fire thing and it's nowhere near as good as it was in other games. Blizzard/Ice took it's place as the projectile but it wasn't as strong as the old Fire spell either.

I was SO happy in 0.2 when fire became a projectile again! Seeing fly towards enemies and hit them felt so much better than using it and hoping they were in range of that ring around me.

People hating on II's version of Fire have never experienced the joy of stunlocking Zexion or buzzsawing Vexen with it.

Also it's cool for close range crowd control and the occasional movement cheese.

Edited by Karxrida

2 hours ago, SweetYetSalty said:

I actually kind of liked Fire in KHII. I preferred the projectile but I thought the KHII was good for crowd control, particularly when I would get swarmed by enemies.

Gravity is another spell I miss from KH1. They've never been able to provide a suitable replacement either. 

1 hour ago, Allwil13 said:

I actually kind of liked Fire in KHII. I preferred the projectile but I thought the KHII was good for crowd control, particularly when I would get swarmed by enemies.

Gravity is another spell I miss from KH1. They've never been able to provide a suitable replacement either. 

I've only used Fire in KHII a handful of times. It's not terrible but it's completely outclassed by Reflect. Reflect I believe uses more magic but it's devastating. When you have to fight the Final Fantasy heroes in the Hades Cup, Reflect is great if they swarm you and practically takes Tifa out in two rounds. If you're lucky it can get Yuffie early too. So Reflect just makes Fire kinda meh for use.

I also miss Gravity. It was fun to use, especially on Darkballs and Defenders. Good times.

57 minutes ago, SweetYetSalty said:

Reflect I believe uses more magic but it's devastating.

It's actually the cheapest spell, costing only 10 MP.

2 hours ago, VisitJoan said:

I didn't notice Areo that much, I wish the games had the gradual healing like Cura in Days.

I think that's what the Tinker Bell summon did in Kingdom Hearts 1, and the Oogie Boogie card did that in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I don't think they brought it back in any later entries, though. Which is a real shame because it can be so useful and has pulled me out of a jam more than once.

All of the Summons in II have an automatic healing mechanic, though the exact specifics vary. Like Peter Pan has Tink's gradual healing while Genie will sometimes throw you potions.

Just now, Karxrida said:

All of the Summons in II have an automatic healing mechanic, though the exact specifics vary. Like Peter Pan has Tink's gradual healing while Genie will sometimes throw you potions.

I never really used the summons in KHII. I wasn't a fan of how they were set up and the whole system just felt really rushed and last minute. But It's nice to hear that KHII also had a Regen mechanic in some form. 

2 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

I never really used the summons in KHII. I wasn't a fan of how they were set up and the whole system just felt really rushed and last minute. But It's nice to hear that KHII also had a Regen mechanic in some form. 

Summons in II are actually extremely good, the problem is that the game does a terrible job explaining how they work. Did you know Stitch gives infinite MP? Or that Chicken Little is basically Magnet before you get Magnet and trivializes some hard mob fights like the Timeless River windows?

9 hours ago, Karxrida said:

Summons in II are actually extremely good, the problem is that the game does a terrible job explaining how they work. Did you know Stitch gives infinite MP? Or that Chicken Little is basically Magnet before you get Magnet and trivializes some hard mob fights like the Timeless River windows?

Holy crap. No I did not know that! Gonna go check those out right now. Thanks for the tip! 

15 hours ago, Karxrida said:

It's actually the cheapest spell, costing only 10 MP.

I never realized that. I think it's because I spam the thing so much I run out so quickly, lol. I wonder if Reflect is back in KH3? I haven't been keeping up with which magics are returning or not. I assume the basic elements and cure of course but beyond that, who knows.