Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Fullmetal Keyblade

Combat is Kingdom Hearts 3's Greatest Flaw

While facing the unending hordes of Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed, there was never quite a moment where I asked myself "How do I get past that?". Each new enemy, while many times was dazzling to behold in the beautiful graphics KH3 displays, never required tactical thinking to beat. Bosses went through typical phases typical to earlier entries and throughout the entire game on Proud difficulty it only took a few minutes to observe the patterns and became nearly trivial from there. 

Thinking back on my first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 2, I recall some battles that took me out, in some cases more then a few times. The Giant Heartless in Pride Land's second visit, Xaldin in Beast's Castle,  and Xemnas's final phase immediately come to memory. I also remember some Nobodies would be of particular annoyance and forced me to back up for space to look for a different approach.  Aside from wondering which Keyblade Transformation I wanted to eradicate something with, I never felt challenged and was nearly crazy with power in taking on enemies in KH3, dying a total of 2 times in my playthrough,and both coming in the last third of the game. Am I a better gamer then I was at 10 years old? I sure like to think so. But did I feel that my 10 year old self would of struggled with this game? Not in the slightest. 

In adressing what in particular is wrong,  Sora essentially is a Battlemage with A.O.E damage cranked up to the max. Hordes do not scare him, he bullies them mercilessly.  His range reaches far and wide and he can close distances in a blink of an eye.  He's meant to display Mastery and does,  but as a consequence never really faces someone or anything greater than him in ability. It seems the combat maybe wasn't intended to provide a challenge but fun and charm befitting the marvelous world's it surrounds itself in. It takes the sum of its parts with picking pieces from earlier entries and intergrating them all into Sora, making him a cascade of light that flashes with tremendous force and spectacle. This all amounts to Kingdom Hearts 3 being too easy, among the easiest entries, which to me is not befitting of a finale to a Saga. 

This of course is my opinion, and as a fan I can say that I still love the game. The nostalgia and magic that Kingdom Hearts has always carried for me still rests within this latest entry. But I am dissapointed that, the one area where I felt would shine brightest, is dimmer than I expected. Irony fully intended. 

Edited by Fullmetal Keyblade

41 minutes ago, Fullmetal Keyblade said:

While facing the unending hordes of Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed, there was never quite a moment where I asked myself "How do I get past that?". Each new enemy, while many times was dazzling to behold in the beautiful graphics KH3 displays, never required tactical thinking to beat. Bosses went through typical phases typical to earlier entries and throughout the entire game on Proud difficulty it only took a few minutes to observe the patterns and became nearly trivial from there. 

Thinking back on my first playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 2, I recall some battles that took me out, in some cases more then a few times. The Giant Heartless in Pride Land's second visit, Xaldin in Beast's Castle,  and Xemnas's final phase immediately come to memory. I also remember some Nobodies would be of particular annoyance and forced me to back up for space to look for a different approach.  Aside from wondering which Keyblade Transformation I wanted to eradicate something with, I never felt challenged and was nearly crazy with power in taking on enemies in KH3, dying a total of 2 times in my playthrough,and both coming in the last third of the game. Am I a better gamer then I was at 10 years old? I sure like to think so. But did I feel that my 10 year old self would of struggled with this game? Not in the slightest. 

In adressing what in particular is wrong,  Sora essentially is a Battlemage with A.O.E damage cranked up to the max. Hordes do not scare him, he bullies them mercilessly.  His range reaches far and wide and he can close distances in a blink of an eye.  He's meant to display Mastery and does,  but as a consequence never really faces someone or anything greater than him in ability. It seems the combat maybe wasn't intended to provide a challenge but fun and charm befitting the marvelous world's it surrounds itself in. It takes the sum of its parts with picking pieces from earlier entries and intergrating them all into Sora, making him a cascade of light that flashes with tremendous force and spectacle. This all amounts to Kingdom Hearts 3 being too easy, among the easiest entries, which to me is not befitting of a finale to a Saga. 

This of course is my opinion, and as a fan I can say that I still love the game. The nostalgia and magic that Kingdom Hearts has always carried for me still rests within this latest entry. But I am dissapointed that, the one area where I felt would shine brightest, is dimmer than I expected. Irony fully intended. 

While the combat itself did not necessarily bother me, I hated the attraction flow. When I first saw it in the earlier KH trailers I thought it was too much in order to fight a few heartless. In terms of the game being too easy, I completely agree. I was actually talking about this with someone the other day how there were bosses that I couldn't beat for like weeks like Xaldin, Xigbar, and Demyx in Hollow Bastion. I remember taking a break from playing that day and having to come back another time only to keep losing until I was able to beat them. I wouldn't mind having something in the DLC where you can fight all the Organization members minus Xehanort at the same time (with their current difficulty). The only aspect of this game that seemed long was the amount of time spent in the Disney worlds.

9 minutes ago, teh lazy prince Xylek said:

i think the biggest thing here, as you said Xaldin, on critical he's the boss that i learned sometimes you need to block or counter or just run away...i never felt the need in 3

The oy time i actually blocked was the secret heartless boss but only enough so that i dont have to heal  to often i am in Desperate need of a dlc with a bunch of new bosses