Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Personal Exp of feeling bad for playing KH3:
The reason I say this is because the sheer amount of criticism. Even checked on youtube, there's not even one positive video. Zero, none. ? As a fan, I had my opinion and loved. I thought it exceeded in being fun, I loved the follow the movie bases, and the situation commands that actually helped me make strategies. But soon after looking, and checking personal reviewss, facebook post, instagram, and gamefaqs reviews. I just couldn't take it, and started playing less and less of it. I know am allowed to have my own opinion of the game, it just finally got to me. I'm not able to play or enjoy anymore because I think about what they say (only the criticism parts). So basically I entirely saw the game as a 100% imperfect. The flaws in the scenes, graphics, gameplay, story, minigames, pacing, and much more. At this point I just can't stand the game. I was loving the game then ultimately hated now. This is in no way a rant to people who criticize. I'm just being vocal how division in the kingdom hearts community got me in the spectrum from loving it to outright hating it. Thanks for reading my post, and understanding how I feel. I appreciate it.

I didn't even realize that there were a lot of haters for KH3. I just ignored anything KH3 related until I completed the game, and even then nothing is gonna change my feelings for the game in a negative manner. If you think KH3 is a great game, then great! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

You shouldn't let the negativity get to you. If YOU enjoyed the game, THAT is what counts, not what others think of it. Atleast that is how I looked at it. People can keep on shouting how the game was dissapointing to THEM but that doesn't change MY opinion on how I loved it.
The game has flaws sure, but I still had lots of fun. 

It was like this for kh2. It's too easy, too much x smashing, too many cutscenes.
And now, people remember it as the best one. Probably because of the final mix updates.
Since kh3 is most likely gonna receive a final mix dlc, the future of the game is very bright for me.

Now remember what kingdom hearts is and why it has so many fans:
Kingdom Hearts is a serie that tries ideas that should have never worked. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails. No KH game is perfect but each game is made with passion and that's why no matter what I'll always like those games. It doesn't mean that I won't criticize it, but if it gets criticised, it is because the serie is loved and we want it to constantly improve.

1 hour ago, cyntix said:

It was like this for kh2. It's too easy, too much x smashing, too many cutscenes.
And now, people remember it as the best one. Probably because of the final mix updates.
Since kh3 is most likely gonna receive a final mix dlc, the future of the game is very bright for me.

Now remember what kingdom hearts is and why it has so many fans:
Kingdom Hearts is a serie that tries ideas that should have never worked. Sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it fails. No KH game is perfect but each game is made with passion and that's why no matter what I'll always like those games. It doesn't mean that I won't criticize it, but if it gets criticised, it is because the serie is loved and we want it to constantly improve.

^This.

Bottom line, it is way easier to rant about how bad something is than to rant about how amazing something is. As a result, the people who hate Kingdom Hearts 3 because it's not what they wanted it to be are being way louder than the people who are being positive and discussing the things that make the game good. 

If you go through the forums here, I'm sure you will find a bunch of positive reviews of Kingdom Hearts 3. I loved it and was thrilled to be able to share my thoughts on here. I think the game is great, and there are plenty of people on here who also think that it's great. So don't feel bad. Never feel bad for liking something, even if people all around you are saying the opposite. This will pass. Once people simmer down and really start to think about the game's events, they will warm up to Kingdom Hearts 3, just like they did with Kingdom Hearts 2. 

Hang in there. We're all behind you. :)

I enjoyed KH3. And while I did have my issues with the game, the positives outweigh the negatives. Honestly DLC's can fix all the problems I had with the game. The difficulty wasn't one of my issues either. I play KH games all the time so it's only natural I'd be good at KH3. This is a game I'm certainly going to replay again and it gave me wonderful moments of tearful emotions. Overall this game has strengthened my love for the series.

3 minutes ago, hatok said:

I honestly can't imagine having expectations so high that KH3 didn't meet them

The only expectations that I had were FF characters and playable radiant garden. I spoiled that all for myself as well as Twilight Town way before release and was thoroughly convinced that I had no expectations for the game so anything would be a net benefit.

Like hot damn was I wrong. It was just a disappointment overall. Perhaps I should have thought about it rationally and realised that of course KH3 would take its cues from DDD, but somehow I didn't. So I guess that's on me for thinking that KH3 would be on par with KH2 in terms of story

And frankly if that's high expectations then idk what to tell you. You've always been the most rational person on this site so I'm sure you could understand where I'm coming from.

As for the thread, look, I'm sorry if people's criticism makes you feel bad for playing the game but honestly you shouldn't let anyone else's opinion matter to you. As for the criticism, pretty much every one that does speak about it always mention that they did have a good time with the game, so really it's just a very small minority that outright trash it. Be stronger in your convictions man.

Just now, 2 quid is good said:

The only expectations that I had were FF characters and playable radiant garden. I spoiled that all for myself as well as Twilight Town way before release and was thoroughly convinced that I had no expectations for the game so anything would be a net benefit.

Like hot damn was I wrong. It was just a disappointment overall. Perhaps I should have thought about it rationally and realised that of course KH3 would take its cues from DDD, but somehow I didn't. So I guess that's on me for thinking that KH3 would be on par with KH2 in terms of story

And frankly if that's high expectations then idk what to tell you. You've always been the most rational person on this site so I'm sure you could understand where I'm coming from.

As for the thread, look, I'm sorry if people's criticism makes you feel bad for playing the game but honestly you shouldn't let anyone else's opinion matter to you. As for the criticism, pretty much every one that does speak about it always mention that they did have a good time with the game, so really it's just a very small minority that outright trash it. Be stronger in your convictions man.

KH3's story is leagues ahead of KH2's. Characters are written better, scenes are better directed, the worlds actually have definite connections to the main story. There's still more it could do, but it's still doing better than what the games that came before did

I love KH2, like a lot, but the way it tells its story is incredibly weak. The only area where KH3 doesn't match KH2 is combat, and a strong second place isn't bad when it wins in every other category.

3's story is first and foremost its own thing, it's cleaning up the story, simplifying things. It's more like KH1 than DDD, to the point where DDD wasn't actually all that relevant at all. In that way it's just like KH2, where KH2 marked a drastic shift in tone that stayed with all the games that followed, KH3 is another big shift.

Just now, hatok said:

3's story is first and foremost its own thing, it's cleaning up the story, simplifying things. It's more like KH1 than DDD, to the point where DDD wasn't actually all that relevant at all. In that way it's just like KH2, where KH2 marked a drastic shift in tone that stayed with all the games that followed, KH3 is another big shift. 

And this is my problem.

Why did they reign it back all the way in?

Why was majority of the plot that was sprinkled through the Disney worlds either flashbacks to things fans already knew or sequel bait?

So much about this game felt like "Hey! Remember this from that really awesome game that you probably hold dear to you? Look, we're referencing it!"

Instead of resolving anything in a particularly meaningful way they just told us stuff.

Oh look so and so's back, but don't question it. Don't worry about that guy that just swooped in it doesn't matter. Don't think about what we already said about dual wielding just appreciate the coolness. This game sometimes seems like it was made for fans, and then other times it seems like it was made for a new generation of fans.

Spoiler

I went into KH3 knowing that I would prolly be disappointed about something. We don't always get everything on our wish list we desire. Despite my disappointments I still loved playing the game though and thought it was well worth buying. 

Things I really hated that they should've known better from previous knowledge/games:

1. Pacing. Ugh. Quit making this mistake Nomura 

2. Quit re-using plotlines like kidnapping or Sora falling for the same thing that doomed him in both DDD and KH3. We are suppose to see characters learn from experience and mistakes not repeat them like dolts. That's just annoying.

3. Time travel. Ewwwwwww.

4. Retcons. Double no. At least limit them to small things if you are going to abuse this. lol 

5. More multiple playable characters where we could enjoy their different abilities and fighting styles. ( we already have played as Aqua and Riku before)

Overall I liked the gameplay- I enjoyed how you can choose different ways to do things. It was easy tho but the DLC should fix this. Speaking of, we shouldn't need a DLC- they had more than enough time to give us all the stuff it should have had without it. Yet here we are................

Loved the graphics. Loved the music. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it worth playing? Hell yeah.

1 minute ago, 2 quid is good said:

And this is my problem.

Why did they reign it back all the way in?

Why was majority of the plot that was sprinkled through the Disney worlds either flashbacks to things fans already knew or sequel bait?

So much about this game felt like "Hey! Remember this from that really awesome game that you probably hold dear to you? Look, we're referencing it!"

Instead of resolving anything in a particularly meaningful way they just told us stuff.

Oh look so and so's back, but don't question it. Don't worry about that guy that just swooped in it doesn't matter. Don't think about what we already said about dual wielding just appreciate the coolness. This game sometimes seems like it was made for fans, and then other times it seems like it was made for a new generation of fans.

they reigned it in because overly complicated stuff is a pain to deal with and the game can't be 100 hours long and just people expositing about how things work

There's lots of flashbacks because the game came out on xbox, and lots of people ignored games or even chose KH3 as their first game. Like, K3 shipped 5 million units, and the best selling game since KH2 was Days, which sold 2 million-ish so a huge portion of the audience you have to assume isn't familair with the games that came after. And it works as a recap too, since not everyone is as obsessed with the series and remembers every detail from every game.

And they don't need to focus on the mechanics of why, that's not relevant. you don't need a pace breaking explanations for why a character is back, what matters is the emotional result. That's always been KH's main focus, the emotional impact. That said there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why anybody comes back in this game.

32 minutes ago, HarLea Quinn said:

Loved the graphics. Loved the music. Could it have been better? Yes. Was it worth playing? Hell yeah. 

Pretty accurate summary xD

29 minutes ago, hatok said:

they reigned it in because overly complicated stuff is a pain to deal with and the game can't be 100 hours long and just people expositing about how things work

There's lots of flashbacks because the game came out on xbox, and lots of people ignored games or even chose KH3 as their first game. Like, K3 shipped 5 million units, and the best selling game since KH2 was Days, which sold 2 million-ish so a huge portion of the audience you have to assume isn't familair with the games that came after. And it works as a recap too, since not everyone is as obsessed with the series and remembers every detail from every game.

And they don't need to focus on the mechanics of why, that's not relevant. you don't need a pace breaking explanations for why a character is back, what matters is the emotional result. That's always been KH's main focus, the emotional impact. That said there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why anybody comes back in this game.

They should have thought about that before they made DDD then but I digress.

As for it coming out on xbox I admit that I hadn't considered that but even so, if I had to compare KH3 to something it would be Infinity War. Neither are bastions of story telling but both have rather large background plot to deal with. KH3 should have just dove right in and created a section similar to the mementos section in DDD.

I can appreciate the course correction nomura tried to do but honestly why could he not have just rolled with his madness and given the conclusion that so many people wanted?

As for the pace breaking, I wasn't expecting information there and then, but I did at least think there would be better build up even if I could tell what was going on and could think of an explanation myself.

Spoiler

Certain parts like lingering will could easily have more cutscenes.

Speaking of the emotional result, idk it just wasn't there for me. At any point. And I was actively trying to find a way to care about what happened on screen but it very rarely happened.

Either because it went by so quickly or whatever it was, idk myself but the one part of Nomuras writing I have always defended is that he gets the emotional beats down and they were hardly there for me. I can think of one or two scenes tbh, and their build up came from BBS and not the game itself.

Although it's inevitable that others' opinions are influential via exposing us to multiple perspectives and can be enlightening or those with certain levels of astuteness difficult to argue but it's important to maintain our individuality.
To let others dictate whether or not you should enjoy the game is giving them too much power.  No one has that right but you.

Nothing is perfect and as such flaws while disappointing won't always prevent enjoyment. None of us would be here if that were the case. 
I'm compiling a review of my own as I'm progressing through it (I'm in the final phase now, I've just arrived in Satem Ad Caelum and deciding whether or not it's worth it to attempt to go for the Ultima Weapon since the flans and especially that damn final Gummi ship mission are difficult for me) and it's more criticism than praise but I am enjoying the game immensely. Despite some holes and underdeveloped areas, I'm loving seeing all the previous games come together. 
Personally, I find reviews harder to compose if the praise outweighs the criticisms.

If reviews bother you this much it's better if you avoid them. I haven't read any myself, I just know from the grapevine that there has been a lot of hate for this game and guess what? I don't give a shit!

Don't sell your soul to be a sheep. It's not wrong to be in the minority, I'm a proud member of a few. Embrace it.