Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
ocean's rage

Pokemon Sword and Shield

On 11/3/2019 at 8:30 PM, The Transcendent Key said:

Does anyone know if the National Pokedex situation has been resolved? Or is it still not gonna be in the game?

oof... The situation is definitely worse than expected. I'm posting the Pokedex here so look away if you don't wanna see. Be warned... Thanos was more merciful than Masuda

Spoiler

bda6q18ampw31.png

On 11/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, ocean's rage said:

you think people would have gotten over thanos by now

I was never under him xD

Just to give a sense of scale I did some number crunching and the number of pokemon looks something like this

Spoiler

SWSH DEX BREAKDOWN

GEN 1: 54

GEN 2: 32

GEN 3: 42

GEN 4: 38

GEN 5: 85

GEN 6: 31

GEN 7: 36

GEN 8: 82 Apparently

That's a perfect 400

Edited by 2 quid is good
Spoiler

16 hours ago, ocean's rage said:

hey hey hey put that in a spoiler box, people try and avoid this stuff

Sorry, I didn't think that the number of pokemon would be considered a spoiler, I'm not able to edit it properly now but I will as soon as I can

45 minutes ago, 2 quid is good said:

Sorry, I didn't think that the number of pokemon would be considered a spoiler, I'm not able to edit it properly now but I will as soon as I can

thanks you. in my life ive found people will consider just about anything a spoiler so i think its best to put anything unofficially announced in spoilers

On 11/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, ocean's rage said:

its not

Wow, that's a first!

On 11/5/2019 at 3:32 AM, 2 quid is good said:

oof... The situation is definitely worse than expected. I'm posting the Pokedex here so look away if you don't wanna see. Be warned... Thanos was more merciful than Masuda

SPOILERS: Click to reveal

bda6q18ampw31.png

O.O

Good lord, this is a Pokemon purging at this point! D:

13 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

haha yep, It seems to me that any pokemon that is competitively viable was cut

Oh, absolutely. Honestly, this is the first Pokemon generation that I'm choosing not to purchase. I'm very frustrated that they cut the national dex and all their excuses aren't acceptable to me. Which really sucks because there are a few things that I think sound genuinely interesting. I'm glad that they brought back Regional Forms, and seeing Farfetch'd get an evolution mde me happy. But the situation with the national dex really stung for me. I'm hoping there'll be a huge surprise when the game comes out or something to explain the National Dex nerf (like multiple regions, for example) that will change my mind because I love pokemon and I don't want to skip these games, but I get the feeling it'll just be another normal pokemon game.

22 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

Oh, absolutely. Honestly, this is the first Pokemon generation that I'm choosing not to purchase. I'm very frustrated that they cut the national dex and all their excuses aren't acceptable to me. Which really sucks because there are a few things that I think sound genuinely interesting. I'm glad that they brought back Regional Forms, and seeing Farfetch'd get an evolution mde me happy. But the situation with the national dex really stung for me. I'm hoping there'll be a huge surprise when the game comes out or something to explain the National Dex nerf (like multiple regions, for example) that will change my mind because I love pokemon and I don't want to skip these games, but I get the feeling it'll just be another normal pokemon game.

I feel the exact same way, and it sucks because there are a many things I'm happy about in Swsh, like improvements to competitive play which is pretty much the number 1 thing I care about for Pokemon. However I can not justify paying double the normal price for half the content and no real improvements in mechanics or animations.

22 hours ago, ocean's rage said:

alright if youre all gonna start with nat dex salt, im out

ive had enough of it, all over the internet legit criticisms mixed with our right hostility and its all been exaggerated beyond all proportions 

Nobody here started with "nat dex salt". And I think you'll find most people won't even list Dex Cut as their biggest issue, it's certainly not mine.

For most people it's that GF said the dex was cut to work on animations and balancing the game/improving mechanics. We now have proof that the animations are pretty terrible, the game is absolutely not balanced as many pokemon have had buffs/debuffs for the stupidest things that makes them basically broken, and the list of mechanics? Hoo boy.

Nothing of what I am saying is a spoiler, so I will not be putting it in spoiler tags because people need to know this information before they decide to buy the game.

There is no GTS. The only piece of code related to the GTS in the game is a string that says "you have connected/disconnected from the GTS" and that's it. No functionality, just the text box. Trades will now have to be done by finding somebody outside of the game and trading link codes with them.

You can NOT catch any Pokemon above a certain level unless you have enough badges. E.g, if you're at level 27 and want to catch a level 30 pokemon that you come across but only have two badges, you won't be able to do it.

144 moves have been cut. At least half are Let's Go/Z-moves which most people are happy about, but the rest are moves such as Hidden Power, Pursuit and Return.
The disinclusion of Hidden Power in particular is a serious concern as it often gives less versatile/viable Pokemon such as Raichu for instance, some more options, e.g running Raichu with HP Ice.

This is a serious blow. And that's just scratching the surface. There definitely are people who are exaggerating about the dex cut, but the vast majority are people genuinely upset at this total shitshow

2 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

I feel the exact same way, and it sucks because there are a many things I'm happy about in Swsh, like improvements to competitive play which is pretty much the number 1 thing I care about for Pokemon. However I can not justify paying double the normal price for half the content and no real improvements in mechanics or animations.

Nobody here started with "nat dex salt". And I think you'll find most people won't even list Dex Cut as their biggest issue, it's certainly not mine.

For most people it's that GF said the dex was cut to work on animations and balancing the game/improving mechanics. We now have proof that the animations are pretty terrible, the game is absolutely not balanced as many pokemon have had buffs/debuffs for the stupidest things that makes them basically broken, and the list of mechanics? Hoo boy.

Nothing of what I am saying is a spoiler, so I will not be putting it in spoiler tags because people need to know this information before they decide to buy the game.

There is no GTS. The only piece of code related to the GTS in the game is a string that says "you have connected/disconnected from the GTS" and that's it. No functionality, just the text box. Trades will now have to be done by finding somebody outside of the game and trading link codes with them.

You can NOT catch any Pokemon above a certain level unless you have enough badges. E.g, if you're at level 27 and want to catch a level 30 pokemon that you come across but only have two badges, you won't be able to do it.

144 moves have been cut. At least half are Let's Go/Z-moves which most people are happy about, but the rest are moves such as Hidden Power, Pursuit and Return.
The disinclusion of Hidden Power in particular is a serious concern as it often gives less versatile/viable Pokemon such as Raichu for instance, some more options, e.g running Raichu with HP Ice.

This is a serious blow. And that's just scratching the surface. There definitely are people who are exaggerating about the dex cut, but the vast majority are people genuinely upset at this total shitshow

no, most people are just upset about the dex things every single thing ive seen always comes back to that, cut moves make sense, gts wasnt that great, hidden power was just a gamble, catching restrictions is probably an anti hacking mechanic, not one thatll work as people can hack badges but still doesnt feel worth getting upset over, you cant have proof that animations are terrible as what is terrible is a matter of opinion, everybody know nintendo dont care about balance so why does this come as a surprise to them all?

the games arent the shitshow the fandom is, people looking down on others who want to join the game, people complaing cut moves to remembrance day the whole thing is just stupid now

1 hour ago, ocean's rage said:

no, most people are just upset about the dex things every single thing ive seen always comes back to that, cut moves make sense, gts wasnt that great, hidden power was just a gamble, catching restrictions is probably an anti hacking mechanic, not one thatll work as people can hack badges but still doesnt feel worth getting upset over, you cant have proof that animations are terrible as what is terrible is a matter of opinion, everybody know nintendo dont care about balance so why does this come as a surprise to them all?

the games arent the shitshow the fandom is, people looking down on others who want to join the game, people complaing cut moves to remembrance day the whole thing is just stupid now

I'm going to take these points one by one bit first of all I'm just gonna say there was no reason for you to be so passive aggressive in your response when I was just laying things out pretty calmly.

> cut moves make sense

I said myself, Let's Go and Z moves make complete sense to cut, as well as signature moves for pokemon that no longer exist in the game. However what makes very little sense is cutting out moves such as Return (one of the only options Normal Pokemon have to be competitively viable), Pursuit (something that will make ghost types incredibly difficult to deal without it) and so on.

> gts wasnt that great

True, it was rather barebones, but again it's much better than nothing, and we have no replacement for it now. If it had stayed it could have been improved, now that it's not in the game it automatically suffers, in one respect or another. Lesser options is never good.

> Hidden power was just a gamble

This is proof to me that you don't play Pokemon competitively, Hidden Power isn't a gamble, it's based on a Pokemons IVs which can be bred. There's nothing wrong with playing pokemon casually, but keep in mind pokemon doesn't have ONLY Casual fans. I host a bunch of Pokemon tournaments for this site and we get a range of different skilled players but it's mostly a lot of fun for everyone.

Removing these things excludes a lot of fans. I love to play pokemon battles but I don't really care about the rest of the game. That doesn't mean I'm not less of a fan than you, different fans prefer different things and with swsh taking those options away, it alienates a lot of fans.

> catching restrictions is an anti hacking mechanic.

There was a better way to do it then, just make it so that when you catch a pokemon over the badge level it doesn't obey, like in all the previous games. This catching restriction is frankly stupid when gamefreak has done it better in older games

> animations aren't terrible

If somebody said the world is flat would you tell them that it's subjective? No you wouldn't. The graphics and art style of Swsh is nice.

The animations are objectively bad. That's all there is to it.

As for balance, gamefreak promised us they would give us balance. I didn't think they would, but the fact that for the first time they promised it and they basically lied and did the opposite (which is worse than doing nothing) is definitely something that I, as a consumer, should be against them for.

4 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

Wow, I did not know about any of this stuff. Now I'm even less inclined to buy the games in the future. You seriously can't catch pokemon above a certain level till you have enough badges? Geez, thanks a lot, GF.

In terms of the National Dex issue, I wouldn't have minded if they'd cut it because of a huge graphics overhaul, or if they planned to bring back multiple regions or something big like that. Unfortunately the graphics look basically the same as the 3DS entries (though maybe a liiiiiittle better, but certainly not enough to justify cutting the national dex). The animations also aren't that much better than previous entries (though I don't think they're terrible). So I'm not one of those people who would have been mad about the National Dex nerf even if the game had way more content than the previous entries and the graphics were absolutely gorgeous. If they'd shown us that cutting the National Dex was worth it, then I wouldn't have minded. And they might still show us that it was worth it; the games aren't out yet. Until people start playing them, we won't know for sure. But as it stands right now, I just don't think the National Dex nerf was worth it.

In terms of the cut moves, it doesn't bother me that much, although I am going to miss using Return; I gave that to my Mega Altaria and it was amazing. As long as we get some good moves to replace them, I can live with that. 

Losing the GTS is similarly not a huge deal for me; I only ever really used wonder trade in X and Y.

Again, I don't want to not buy these games. I love pokemon and was really excited for these entries until I started seeing stuff like the Dynamax and Gigantamax. Not a fan of those; they don't seem very creative to me. The camping also didn't really interest me that much. It's a cute idea, but I wasn't overy excited about it. Then they announced they were cutting the National Dex and I optimistically thought, "well, maybe they want to overhaul the graphics or make the game substantially bigger than its predecessors". But the announcements kept coming and I was... underwhelmed. Which is a shame because I love the idea of the Wild Area! OMG I want to explore that so badly!  I also love the new region forms; Ponyta especially because I've always wanted to be able to use a Rapidash but I always found that Rapidash sucked (no offense intended to any Rapidash lovers out there). I may buy the games in the future, but as it stands I will not be paying full price for them. They just don't hold much interest for me outside of a few things.

@ocean's rage, I'm genuinely sorry if I dug up a frustrating argument for you. I wasn't trying to step on any toes, I just wanted to give my two cents on this whole matter. I apologize if it seemed like I was saying that no one should enjoy these games. Of course I hope you enjoy them. :) 

2 hours ago, ocean's rage said:

sorry about that everyone i think my overall tiredness of salty fandoms got to me a little there

Just now, Allwil13 said:

@ocean's rage, I'm genuinely sorry if I dug up a frustrating argument for you. I wasn't trying to step on any toes, I just wanted to give my two cents on this whole matter. I apologize if it seemed like I was saying that no one should enjoy these games. Of course I hope you enjoy them. :) 

no no you dont need to apologise, im in wrong here for snapping, in fact i was crafting my apology when you posted that

52 minutes ago, 2 quid is good said:

I'm going to take these points one by one bit first of all I'm just gonna say there was no reason for you to be so passive aggressive in your response when I was just laying things out pretty calmly.

> cut moves make sense

I said myself, Let's Go and Z moves make complete sense to cut, as well as signature moves for pokemon that no longer exist in the game. However what makes very little sense is cutting out moves such as Return (one of the only options Normal Pokemon have to be competitively viable), Pursuit (something that will make ghost types incredibly difficult to deal without it) and so on.

> gts wasnt that great

True, it was rather barebones, but again it's much better than nothing, and we have no replacement for it now. If it had stayed it could have been improved, now that it's not in the game it automatically suffers, in one respect or another. Lesser options is never good.

> Hidden power was just a gamble

This is proof to me that you don't play Pokemon competitively, Hidden Power isn't a gamble, it's based on a Pokemons IVs which can be bred. There's nothing wrong with playing pokemon casually, but keep in mind pokemon doesn't have ONLY Casual fans. I host a bunch of Pokemon tournaments for this site and we get a range of different skilled players but it's mostly a lot of fun for everyone.

Removing these things excludes a lot of fans. I love to play pokemon battles but I don't really care about the rest of the game. That doesn't mean I'm not less of a fan than you, different fans prefer different things and with swsh taking those options away, it alienates a lot of fans.

> catching restrictions is an anti hacking mechanic.

There was a better way to do it then, just make it so that when you catch a pokemon over the badge level it doesn't obey, like in all the previous games. This catching restriction is frankly stupid when gamefreak has done it better in older games

> animations aren't terrible

If somebody said the world is flat would you tell them that it's subjective? No you wouldn't. The graphics and art style of Swsh is nice.

The animations are objectively bad. That's all there is to it.

As for balance, gamefreak promised us they would give us balance. I didn't think they would, but the fact that for the first time they promised it and they basically lied and did the opposite (which is worse than doing nothing) is definitely something that I, as a consumer, should be against them for.

yeah sorry about my own salt just boiled out a little there

look i know that there a legit criticisms to be had with these games but i just dont want this thread to devolve into nothing but a list of everyone's gripes, cut pokemon sucks, cut series staples like frustration and return doesnt make sense and the catching thing doesnt make much sense you would have been just as well to transfer pokemon disobedience to all pokemon instead of just those from trades

but how something looking good or bad is a matter of opinion, the earth not being flat has been proved but you cant prove something thats a matter of opinion that comparison doesnt really make sense

2 minutes ago, ocean's rage said:

sorry about that everyone i think my overall tiredness of salty fandoms got to me a little there

no no you dont need to apologise, im in wrong here for snapping, in fact i was crafting my apology when you posted that

yeah sorry about my own salt just boiled out a little there

look i know that there a legit criticisms to be had with these games but i just dont want this thread to devolve into nothing but a list of everyone's gripes, cut pokemon sucks, cut series staples like frustration and return doesnt make sense and the catching thing doesnt make much sense you would have been just as well to transfer pokemon disobedience to all pokemon instead of just those from trades

but how something looking good or bad is a matter of opinion, the earth not being flat has been proved but you cant prove something thats a matter of opinion that comparison doesnt really make sense

Lol, I know all about salty fandoms. I've left a few for that exact reason. There are definitely things in these games to be excited about, so I agree that the thread shouldn't devolve into a gripe session. 

I also agree that the animations being bad is a matter of opinion. I personally don't think they're necessarily bad, I just think that they're basically the same(albeit maybe slighlty better) as the 3DS graphics and animations. And normally this wouldn't bug me, but these are the first main pokemon games on the Nintendo Switch. The switch is significantly more powerful than the 3Ds, so I find it disappointing that they didn't try to do more with the graphics and animations. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new pokemon, though. And I'm excited to see the evolutions for the starters. I think this is the first time they've managed to keep the starter evolutions under wraps (unless they were leaked or something and I just missed it). And I'm also hoping there'll be more region forms, because we've only seen a handful right now.

2 hours ago, Allwil13 said:

Lol, I know all about salty fandoms. I've left a few for that exact reason. There are definitely things in these games to be excited about, so I agree that the thread shouldn't devolve into a gripe session. 

I also agree that the animations being bad is a matter of opinion. I personally don't think they're necessarily bad, I just think that they're basically the same(albeit maybe slighlty better) as the 3DS graphics and animations. And normally this wouldn't bug me, but these are the first main pokemon games on the Nintendo Switch. The switch is significantly more powerful than the 3Ds, so I find it disappointing that they didn't try to do more with the graphics and animations. 

I'm looking forward to seeing all the new pokemon, though. And I'm excited to see the evolutions for the starters. I think this is the first time they've managed to keep the starter evolutions under wraps (unless they were leaked or something and I just missed it). And I'm also hoping there'll be more region forms, because we've only seen a handful right now.

i can confirm the entire dex has been leaked, ive seen all the new pokemon two of them were shown in the last trailer confirming the leaks, they are out there

10 hours ago, ocean's rage said:

i can confirm the entire dex has been leaked, ive seen all the new pokemon two of them were shown in the last trailer confirming the leaks, they are out there

Figures. Well, I'll probably just wait until the games come out to check out the new pokemon and whatnot. Hopefully Gamefreak will be able to sway me into buying the games.  

17 hours ago, ocean's rage said:

i imagine theyll rotate who's in and who's out

That could be a possibility!

2 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

Only 10 pokemon that were part of the standard meta game survived the cut, just to give you an example.

Wow, that's insane!