Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
MikeMasi

Let’s Talk about Aqua ( Female Roles)

Let’s talk about Aqua. I feel she should be the main character for KH4. I know everyone is upset and feels that the role placement of any female role is shown as a weak character, but I disagree. Sure they messed up a lot with Kairi, but Aqua is shown as very strong character.

Spoiler

Yes, she was stuck in darkness and was saved by two guys,

but let’s think about all the sacrifices she made. She did everything to save Terra. She fought her way through and also sacrificed her self so Mickey and Riku could be safe in 0.2. She also protected Ventus’ body for a very long time and some how lived in darkness for over ten years. Did we forget that she passed her mark of mastery exam and was noted as the official keyblade master?

She’s quite amazing as a character.

Spoiler

When she was officially saved, I was emotionally impacted the most by her (meanwhile I thought I was going to be emotional for Ven).

If KH4 marks the war with Luxu, MOM and the foretellers, I believe Nomura should give this to Aqua with the help of Sora.

In my personal opinion, the way they handled Aqua in KH3 was not good. In 0.2 they played her up to be so strong and able to overcome any darkness. I loved how she said "I'll be their wayfinder" when talking about finding anyone else in the realm of darkness.

Spoiler

Cut to KH3, she had a dark orb thrown at her and gave in to darkness. When we got to play as her when going up against Vanitas, I was like wow cool yes we're gonna have Sora and co have their jaws drop when witness Aqua kick all sorts of ass. After the fight she was easily knocked down only to be saved by Ven. In the keyblade graveyard, she was the first person to be sucked into that heartless tornado.

I get that Sora is the main character of the series and needs to have things to overcome, but Aqua should not have been weakened for this purpose. I would have liked to see Aqua take on Master Eraqus' legacy and start training new keyblade weilders at the end of KH3. 

I guess it’s a matter of preference, but I think Aqua is a great character. She’s strong, but definitely has her weaknesses, as should any well made character, male or female. Most notably, while she’s willing to go to great lenghts to protect others, this also makes her a bit self-sacrificial which is not always a good thing, and doesn’t always lead to best decisions (she was willing to save terra and cast herself to the realm of darkness even though it was clear there was something terribly wrong with terra). Also, while she’s pretty resistant to darkness, she also very much doesn’t accept it, which makes it pretty understandable she wouldn’t be able to handle it well when it finally got to her.

I do kinda hate the ”strong female character” trope though. Personally I think weaknesses are what create an interesting character, so I just think characters that lack major flaws and are too self-reliant are boring. The same goes for male characters, but I rarely see people complain about it when a male character shows signs of weakness.

People are free to disagree with me on this, though. And I do agree that overall KH isn’t the best when it comes to female characters. I just think Aqua is among the best characters in the series, overall.

As for an Aqua centric game, that’d be awesome. Not sure how well that would fit into the next saga, since I can’t see the Wayfinder trio being too important going forward (apart from Ven). But if it happened, that’d be cool.

What we REALLY need is a game with Kairi as the main character, though.

5 hours ago, littleTSUBAME said:

I guess it’s a matter of preference, but I think Aqua is a great character. She’s strong, but definitely has her weaknesses, as should any well made character, male or female. Most notably, while she’s willing to go to great lenghts to protect others, this also makes her a bit self-sacrificial which is not always a good thing, and doesn’t always lead to best decisions (she was willing to save terra and cast herself to the realm of darkness even though it was clear there was something terribly wrong with terra). Also, while she’s pretty resistant to darkness, she also very much doesn’t accept it, which makes it pretty understandable she wouldn’t be able to handle it well when it finally got to her.

I do kinda hate the ”strong female character” trope though. Personally I think weaknesses are what create an interesting character, so I just think characters that lack major flaws and are too self-reliant are boring. The same goes for male characters, but I rarely see people complain about it when a male character shows signs of weakness.

People are free to disagree with me on this, though. And I do agree that overall KH isn’t the best when it comes to female characters. I just think Aqua is among the best characters in the series, overall.

As for an Aqua centric game, that’d be awesome. Not sure how well that would fit into the next saga, since I can’t see the Wayfinder trio being too important going forward (apart from Ven). But if it happened, that’d be cool.

What we REALLY need is a game with Kairi as the main character, though.

I agree there should be a game about kairi

Spoiler

When Aqua lost to Vanitas I just thought "why Nomura" I mean we've been waiting to see her drop kick that sh$& since BBS. Guess she caught keyblade Master disease like Riku and suddenly can't get anything done gdi

Idk why but Nomura just does this a lot he did the same back in Advent Children where Tifa lost to a literal fodder jenova clone 

Aqua is one of my favourite characters but I don't see how they are solving a lack of development for Kairi by shelving her and how that would be seen as good writing lol..... give Kairi a game or a good portion of the game and dont just randomly cut to her for a few seconds and then move onto to a less important character

Aqua is probably the most boring and overrated character in this series. I can't bring myself to care about her between the bad first impressions of the character writing in BBS and Willa Holland's robotic acting, and don't want her as the protagonist of any more games. Being a badass female warrior means nothing if the actual character behind her isn't any good.

Just give me more Xion and Naminé--they act human. Or fix Kairi already.

Edited by Karxrida

I think it would be pretty dang awesome if Aqua was the lead in the next KH game. But we'd have to see what her role would be in the grand scheme of things! I do feel like we'll get a slew of new characters from KHIV onward, and I think that the characters from the Xehanort Saga, aside from the Destiny Islands Trio, will end up being supportive characters.

I like Aqua, she's cool and all, but she wouldn't be my first choice to be the main character of KH4. Of a side game? Sure. As a supporting character in the future of the series? Absolutely. But main character of KH4? She's a bit too mature for the job. Sora works so well as the main character for his ability to connect with others, and all the other characters are either part of him or connected to him. But at the end of the day it comes down to what KH4 will be about. So we'll have to see the direction of the franchise going forward.