Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Allwil13

Some Thoughts On the BBS Trio

Hey guys. So I've been thinking a lot about where the characters of Kingdom Hearts will go now that the Xehanort Saga has been concluded. Specifically, I have some questions about the protagonists of Birth by Sleep. I'll mask the questions in spoiler tags in case anyone hasn't played the game yet. 

Spoiler

Mainly, my questions are about Terra and Aqua. As I'm sure you're aware, Aqua became a keyblade master in the beginning of Birth by Sleep. As a result, she gained new knowledge and abilities, not the least of which was the ability to disguise the Land of Departure as the infamous Castle Oblivion. Now that Xehanort has been defeated and the BBS trio rescued, I'm wondering: Did Aqua automatically inherit Eraqus' duties as the Master of the Land of Departure? We never really got confirmation on this, although it certainly seems that way. After all, it seems that Aqua inherited the Master Defender (more on this in a bit), and I feel like that keyblade can only be wielded by the person its previous master selected.

Moving on to Terra. As we all know, Terra's story in Birth by Sleep focused on his battle to contain his inner darkness. The catalyst for this was Terra's failure to pass the Mark of Mastery in the beginning of the game. Fastforward to the battle with Vanitas and Terranort at the end of Kingdom Hearts III and Terra's heart is revealed to be inhabiting Ansem SoD's guardian. With Sora's help, Terra regains his body and is happily reunited with Aqua and Ventus. After Xehanort's defeat, the three of them return to the Land of Departure. It seems like Terra has gained control over his inner darkness , which begs the question: do you guys think that Terra was promoted to the rank of Keyblade Master? I feel like he probably did, and if Aqua is in fact the new master of the Land of Departure, maybe she was the one to confer the new rank on him. But KHIII never verified this, so I guess there's no way to know for sure.

On to Ventus, although this one is more of a theory. Unsurprisingly, Vanitas didn't survive this entry in the series. Or did he? As we learned in BBS, Vanitas was created from the darkness extracted from Ventus' heart. As a result, it stands to reason that the two are linked. So when Vanitas died, I suspect that his "essence" or whatever was left of him returned to Ventus. If I'm right, then it seems somewhat likely that Vanitas will return at some point as he is probably sleeping inside Ventus' heart. I definitely don't think that we've seen the last of Vanitas, especially since it seemed like Sora and Ventus were trying to convince him that he was more than just darkness.

My last question is about all three of the BBS trio. More specifically, their armour and Aqua's keyblade. In Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, we saw that Xemnas was keeping Aqua's Keyblade and armour in the chamber of repose, while the Lingering Will (aka, Terra's Armour and keyblade inhabited by his spirit) ha been hanging out in the Keyblade Graveyard for the past ten years. In Kingdom Hearts III we saw the Lingering Will clash with Terranort and then promtly vanished. Terra appears to have recovered his keyblade, but we never saw his armour return to him (and I know Nomura addressed Terra's armour in an interview, so this may be a moot point). Aqua is in a similar situation, though she is missing her original keyblade as well as her armour. As I said before, she seems to have inherited the Master Defender, but what about her original keyblade? It seems a bit of a shame that it's just lying there in the Chamber of Repose. As for Ventus, we don't know for certain that his armour is missing, but we haven't seen it rematerialize since the end of Kingdom Hearts 3D (and even then, that was in Sora's heart, so I'm not sure it counts). So my question is, will they ever recover their armour? And will Aqua ever get her original keyblade back? 

This isn't really me complaining, just my overall thoughts. Maybe the DLC will fill in some of these holes. I'd like to see how these three turn out in the next installment, especially now that theyve finally returned to normal.

23 hours ago, VisitJoan said:

You’d think if you could just summon a keyblade out of nowhere, you’d be able to pull it from where ever the heck it is, but I guess that’s not the case...

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Why can't they just summon them back? And if they can, why don't they?

On 3/15/2019 at 5:16 PM, Allwil13 said:

Hey guys. So I've been thinking a lot about where the characters of Kingdom Hearts will go now that the Xehanort Saga has been concluded. Specifically, I have some questions about the protagonists of Birth by Sleep. I'll mask the questions in spoiler tags in case anyone hasn't played the game yet. 

Hide contents

Mainly, my questions are about Terra and Aqua. As I'm sure you're aware, Aqua became a keyblade master in the beginning of Birth by Sleep. As a result, she gained new knowledge and abilities, not the least of which was the ability to disguise the Land of Departure as the infamous Castle Oblivion. Now that Xehanort has been defeated and the BBS trio rescued, I'm wondering: Did Aqua automatically inherit Eraqus' duties as the Master of the Land of Departure? We never really got confirmation on this, although it certainly seems that way. After all, it seems that Aqua inherited the Master Defender (more on this in a bit), and I feel like that keyblade can only be wielded by the person its previous master selected.

Moving on to Terra. As we all know, Terra's story in Birth by Sleep focused on his battle to contain his inner darkness. The catalyst for this was Terra's failure to pass the Mark of Mastery in the beginning of the game. Fastforward to the battle with Vanitas and Terranort at the end of Kingdom Hearts III and Terra's heart is revealed to be inhabiting Ansem SoD's guardian. With Sora's help, Terra regains his body and is happily reunited with Aqua and Ventus. After Xehanort's defeat, the three of them return to the Land of Departure. It seems like Terra has gained control over his inner darkness , which begs the question: do you guys think that Terra was promoted to the rank of Keyblade Master? I feel like he probably did, and if Aqua is in fact the new master of the Land of Departure, maybe she was the one to confer the new rank on him. But KHIII never verified this, so I guess there's no way to know for sure.

On to Ventus, although this one is more of a theory. Unsurprisingly, Vanitas didn't survive this entry in the series. Or did he? As we learned in BBS, Vanitas was created from the darkness extracted from Ventus' heart. As a result, it stands to reason that the two are linked. So when Vanitas died, I suspect that his "essence" or whatever was left of him returned to Ventus. If I'm right, then it seems somewhat likely that Vanitas will return at some point as he is probably sleeping inside Ventus' heart. I definitely don't think that we've seen the last of Vanitas, especially since it seemed like Sora and Ventus were trying to convince him that he was more than just darkness.

My last question is about all three of the BBS trio. More specifically, their armour and Aqua's keyblade. In Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, we saw that Xemnas was keeping Aqua's Keyblade and armour in the chamber of repose, while the Lingering Will (aka, Terra's Armour and keyblade inhabited by his spirit) ha been hanging out in the Keyblade Graveyard for the past ten years. In Kingdom Hearts III we saw the Lingering Will clash with Terranort and then promtly vanished. Terra appears to have recovered his keyblade, but we never saw his armour return to him (and I know Nomura addressed Terra's armour in an interview, so this may be a moot point). Aqua is in a similar situation, though she is missing her original keyblade as well as her armour. As I said before, she seems to have inherited the Master Defender, but what about her original keyblade? It seems a bit of a shame that it's just lying there in the Chamber of Repose. As for Ventus, we don't know for certain that his armour is missing, but we haven't seen it rematerialize since the end of Kingdom Hearts 3D (and even then, that was in Sora's heart, so I'm not sure it counts). So my question is, will they ever recover their armour? And will Aqua ever get her original keyblade back? 

This isn't really me complaining, just my overall thoughts. Maybe the DLC will fill in some of these holes. I'd like to see how these three turn out in the next installment, especially now that theyve finally returned to normal.

Spoiler

Regarding Aqua, I do believe that now she reigns over the Land Of Departure as the Keyblade Master who oversees the balance of the worlds and protects the hallowed ground of said world. So you're probably right on the money there!

As for Terra, he may have been promoted to Keyblade Master. It would be pretty awesome, and it'd be nice. I'm interested in seeing what awaits his character in the future!

For Ventus, I'm very interested in seeing what happens to him, especially given his past in the Age Of Fairy Tales! And since Vanitas is a part of Ven's heart, I too, believe that we haven't seen the last of him! "I am on your side. I am the shadow of the light you cast. So how much closer could I be?" I felt like this is a sort of foreshadowing that we could see Vanitas again in the future, and maybe Ven will try to make Vanitas his own person, and we could have Vanitas end up being like Vegeta. An anti-hero!

And it is interesting that we didn't get to see the Wayfinder Trio don their Keyblade Armors in this game! Perhaps we'll see them again in the next game! And since Aqua has Master Defender, maybe that means she'll inherit the Armor Of The Master from BBS? Would make sense!

54 minutes ago, The Transcendent Key said:
  Hide contents

And it is interesting that we didn't get to see the Wayfinder Trio don their Keyblade Armors in this game! Perhaps we'll see them again in the next game! And since Aqua has Master Defender, maybe that means she'll inherit the Armor Of The Master from BBS? Would make sense!

Spoiler

OMG I didn't even think of that! It's a good theory because we don't know whether or not  the armour is created by the keyblade itself or if it comes from the wielder's heart like the keyblades. And it does make sense because the "Master" in both the keyblade and the armour makes it sound like it refers to the Master of the Land of Departure.

I really hope we get at least some of these answers in the next installment.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:40 PM, Allwil13 said:
  Hide contents

OMG I didn't even think of that! It's a good theory because we don't know whether or not  the armour is created by the keyblade itself or if it comes from the wielder's heart like the keyblades. And it does make sense because the "Master" in both the keyblade and the armour makes it sound like it refers to the Master of the Land of Departure.

I really hope we get at least some of these answers in the next installment.

Yessss, I know! I'm sure that from here on out, Nomura will only delve deeper into the lore he's created in order to really flesh out the mythos of the KH Universe all the more, ya know? I'm very excited! :D

1 hour ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Yessss, I know! I'm sure that from here on out, Nomura will only delve deeper into the lore he's created in order to really flesh out the mythos of the KH Universe all the more, ya know? I'm very excited! :D

I know that KHIII is technically the end of the Xehanort Saga, but I really hope we'll get some more info on his and Eraqus' history. There's still so much we don't know. 

Spoiler

I'm hoping that one of the future entries will be a prequel wherein we get to play as Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus (similar to BBS). And it's not out of the question, because the last scene of the epilogue seemed to indicate that Xehanort and Eraqus knew something about the Foretellers and the age of fairy tales. Heck, Eraqus is apparently a descendant of one of the keyblade wielders during the age of fairy tales. |It would be weird for them to reveal this and then never go back to those two. 

So I hope you're right and he'll be expanding on the lore in the future. 

On 3/27/2019 at 5:17 PM, Allwil13 said:

I know that KHIII is technically the end of the Xehanort Saga, but I really hope we'll get some more info on his and Eraqus' history. There's still so much we don't know. 

Hide contents

I'm hoping that one of the future entries will be a prequel wherein we get to play as Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus (similar to BBS). And it's not out of the question, because the last scene of the epilogue seemed to indicate that Xehanort and Eraqus knew something about the Foretellers and the age of fairy tales. Heck, Eraqus is apparently a descendant of one of the keyblade wielders during the age of fairy tales. |It would be weird for them to reveal this and then never go back to those two. 

So I hope you're right and he'll be expanding on the lore in the future. 

That sounds fantastic! I'd be all down for it, honestly! Time will tell what will happen in the future!  At least we know that the future of the series is shining bright due to the success of Kingdom Hearts III! :D