Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
vrovvv

What floatyness really is. And why kh3 still messes up.

Now I know everyone has kinda already said it but kingdom hearts 3 is still floaty. Even though its less floaty than BBS or even 0.2, the floatyness is still present. Some people seem to equate floatyness to just slow combos and while yeah, slow combos are part of the problem, it ain't just that. Kh2 (the best game in the series) is not characterized as fluid just cause it has fast combos. Firstly, the animations transition flawlessly, even when you as the player cut them short. The way sora transitions between each hit feels organic and looks amazing, something that kh3 butchers since, especially in air combos, sora seems to move a set amount forward for each hit and he has some really abrupt transitions between each hit as well. Like really abrupt. An other contributing factor to the floaty feeling is gravity. There is a FAR better overall feeling of gravity and conservation of momentum in kh2 than in kh3. I don't think much needs to be said on gravity. In kh2 while performing aerial combos, gravity is noticeably present and sora doesn't just stay in the same altitude for the whole combo like in kh3. When it comes to conservation of momentum its a bit more complicated. In kh2 when you aerial dodge for example and follow it up with gliding, the velocity you gain by the dodge gives you a jump start and you reach the top gliding speed faster. This is probably the simplest way to explain this. Even attacks give sora a boost. Aerial finish for example gets sora closer to the enemy while it takes place and turns him to wherever the enemy is being thrown. Its basicaly trying to have sora facing the enemy all the way through while also giving him a boost to really reach whatever he is going after. The complete lack of understanding of this concept by Osaka team is really noticeable when looking at how they brought back this same finisher. In kh3, aerial finish has sora stationery in the air and many of the hits end up missing the target cause the attack doesn't change direction if needed like it would in kh2. Its like Osaka team, when deciding to bring it back, only looked at how flashy and cool it looks and missed the point with everything that makes it useful and satisfying. This problem is shared with most of sora's finishers in kh3.
An other part of the problem with "floatyness" is the responsiveness of the controls. In kh2, any action performed was really snappy and precise. You'd press a button and IMMEDIATELY, sora would act accordingly. In kh3 there is this sort of input lag that prevents sora from feeling truly responsive. If I wanna perform my basic 4 hit combo in kh3 I gotta mash the x button like 10 times, a problem that was never there in kh2. All of that combined with slower combos is the real problem and the reason kh3 still fails to deliver a truly fluid combat experience. No, it doesn't suffer from these issues as much as BBS but it definitely isn't free of them either.

I see where you (and other people) coming from. But I never had any problems with the floatyness in Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, 0.2 Birth by Sleep or in Kingdom Hearts 3. Plus, the floatyness never distracted me when I'm fighting either the heartless or boss fights. So since it doesn't distract me nor giving me any problems than I have no problems with floatyness.

In kh3 its not game breaking or anything, its just really frustrating. They fixed the airslide a tone and made the air combos faster but ad I said, faster combos=\=fluid gameplay. There's way more to it. Kh2 had that God like fluidity and for some reason Osaka team can't get their heads around it to really replicate this feeling. Even after all the negative feedback from both 0.2 and the demo events, they still failed to really fix the issue. An issue that didn't exist in kh2, a game they got to remaster and spend a lot of time analyzing and still they don't really seem to understand it. Either that, or their priorities are way out of order, cause we could easily sacrifice some meaningless flashyness for a more fluid and snappy combat experience.

8 hours ago, vrovvv said:

Now I know everyone has kinda already said it but kingdom hearts 3 is still floaty. Even though its less floaty than BBS or even 0.2, the floatyness is still present. Some people seem to equate floatyness to just slow combos and while yeah, slow combos are part of the problem, it ain't just that. Kh2 (the best game in the series) is not characterized as fluid just cause it has fast combos. Firstly, the animations transition flawlessly, even when you as the player cut them short. The way sora transitions between each hit feels organic and looks amazing, something that kh3 butchers since, especially in air combos, sora seems to move a set amount forward for each hit and he has some really abrupt transitions between each hit as well. Like really abrupt. An other contributing factor to the floaty feeling is gravity. There is a FAR better overall feeling of gravity and conservation of momentum in kh2 than in kh3. I don't think much needs to be said on gravity. In kh2 while performing aerial combos, gravity is noticeably present and sora doesn't just stay in the same altitude for the whole combo like in kh3. When it comes to conservation of momentum its a bit more complicated. In kh2 when you aerial dodge for example and follow it up with gliding, the velocity you gain by the dodge gives you a jump start and you reach the top gliding speed faster. This is probably the simplest way to explain this. Even attacks give sora a boost. Aerial finish for example gets sora closer to the enemy while it takes place and turns him to wherever the enemy is being thrown. Its basicaly trying to have sora facing the enemy all the way through while also giving him a boost to really reach whatever he is going after. The complete lack of understanding of this concept by Osaka team is really noticeable when looking at how they brought back this same finisher. In kh3, aerial finish has sora stationery in the air and many of the hits end up missing the target cause the attack doesn't change direction if needed like it would in kh2. Its like Osaka team, when deciding to bring it back, only looked at how flashy and cool it looks and missed the point with everything that makes it useful and satisfying. This problem is shared with most of sora's finishers in kh3.
An other part of the problem with "floatyness" is the responsiveness of the controls. In kh2, any action performed was really snappy and precise. You'd press a button and IMMEDIATELY, sora would act accordingly. In kh3 there is this sort of input lag that prevents sora from feeling truly responsive. If I wanna perform my basic 4 hit combo in kh3 I gotta mash the x button like 10 times, a problem that was never there in kh2. All of that combined with slower combos is the real problem and the reason kh3 still fails to deliver a truly fluid combat experience. No, it doesn't suffer from these issues as much as BBS but it definitely isn't free of them either.

I wonder how much of this has to do with Osaka teams decisions and how much has to do with the Unreal Engine, a universal Engine that is flexible but becomes spaghetti when you try and code & adapt it to a tight ARPG like Kingdom Hearts. 

Makes me worry about FF7R a bit

4 hours ago, AnotherXehanort13 said:

I wonder how much of this has to do with Osaka teams decisions and how much has to do with the Unreal Engine, a universal Engine that is flexible but becomes spaghetti when you try and code & adapt it to a tight ARPG like Kingdom Hearts. 

Makes me worry about FF7R a bit

Nah, I don't think its the engine at all. Even looking at the first few trailers when the game was running on the luminous engine, you could see the same disregard for smooth animation work and fluidity