Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
David Buchwald

Young Xehanort early years question

Hello KH Experts!

I'm confused with Xehanort's early days and hoping to get some answers. This has a lot to do with the fact that he looks younger in the chess scenes than the Young Xehanort we know from his Destiny Islands days, before his time traveling adventures, and before ever going off to train as a keyblade master (or so we thought). I've done some research and see a lot of folks have this same question, and unfortunately haven't really found a straight answer. However, I haven't seen anyone talk about the connection to Secret Report 2 from KH3, and I'd like to touch upon that. As stated in that report, written by Xehanort:

Spoiler

Some days have passed since I set off on my journey to prepare for the Mark of Mastery examination. Eraqus asked for leave to undertake the same pilgrimage, but apparently I am to be first to tour the worlds written of in the old fairy tales.

Until a few short years ago, I'd known only my own world, a speck of land surrounded by sea. But how I'd dreamed of, yearned for the World beyond... And, granted guidance from the future, I left that nest behind. 

So according to this, Xehanort was only at Scala ad Caelum for a few years before preparing for his Mark of Mastery exam. I buy this. I mean Sora only wielded a keyblade for a few years as well before attempting the exam. But the Report leaves me confused. Why does he state he left Destiny Islands with "guidance from the future"? I was under the impression he forgot all about his time traveling upon returning to his time? Does anyone have an answer for this?

Still, this report does not answer the question of why the chess playing Xehanort looks younger than that version, and why the eye color is different. He always had yellow eyes in the scenes we have seen of him at Destiny Islands. This report only seems to confirm that yes indeed he was on Destiny Islands BEFORE Scala ad Caelum, and before becoming a keyblade wielder and attempting to become a master.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the experts here. Not expecting to get a clear answer, but hoping to get a better understanding, especially when taking Secret Report 2 as cannon (I've seen others theorize that chess playing came before Destiny Islands, but I think this report makes it clear that's not the case).

Others have theorized we would get a clear answer in an interview or perhaps in a future game. But it's been made clear that this game is the end of the Xehanort saga, so I do believe they will stay away from focusing on Xehanort in any future titles.

Thanks for the help!

My theory is that, while we see an older Xehanort than what he should be, it was likely we were seeing an older version of him that went back to the islands after the fact. We know that Xehanort is well versed in time magic, so at this point he might have just had more of a vision, or feeling, than anything else happening and when he partook in the Mark of Mastery exam he might have found his way back to Destiny Islands which is when his future Heartless traveled back in time and met up with him and told him of his "destiny". It can be assumed the Young Xehanort and the Scala ad Caelum Xehanort are only a couple years apart in age, at most (look at how fast Riku grew in only a year). So the younger version we see playing chess could very well have been the one that left the island, only for him to return a couple years down the line as a detour on his pilgrimage and seeing just how "small" his world was compared to others he had seen. Knowing that he would be back to that place, and Destiny Islands being a significant world despite its size, Ansem could have easily decided to wait there for him knowing he was better versed in the way of the Keyblade and more prepared to handle his destiny than he was when he was younger.

Again, this is just a theory, but that's the best explanation I have for it.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, David Buchwald said:

Hello KH Experts!

I'm confused with Xehanort's early days and hoping to get some answers. This has a lot to do with the fact that he looks younger in the chess scenes than the Young Xehanort we know from his Destiny Islands days, before his time traveling adventures, and before ever going off to train as a keyblade master (or so we thought). I've done some research and see a lot of folks have this same question, and unfortunately haven't really found a straight answer. However, I haven't seen anyone talk about the connection to Secret Report 2 from KH3, and I'd like to touch upon that. As stated in that report, written by Xehanort:

Hide contents

Some days have passed since I set off on my journey to prepare for the Mark of Mastery examination. Eraqus asked for leave to undertake the same pilgrimage, but apparently I am to be first to tour the worlds written of in the old fairy tales.

Until a few short years ago, I'd known only my own world, a speck of land surrounded by sea. But how I'd dreamed of, yearned for the World beyond... And, granted guidance from the future, I left that nest behind. 

So according to this, Xehanort was only at Scala ad Caelum for a few years before preparing for his Mark of Mastery exam. I buy this. I mean Sora only wielded a keyblade for a few years as well before attempting the exam. But the Report leaves me confused. Why does he state he left Destiny Islands with "guidance from the future"? I was under the impression he forgot all about his time traveling upon returning to his time? Does anyone have an answer for this?

Still, this report does not answer the question of why the chess playing Xehanort looks younger than that version, and why the eye color is different. He always had yellow eyes in the scenes we have seen of him at Destiny Islands. This report only seems to confirm that yes indeed he was on Destiny Islands BEFORE Scala ad Caelum, and before becoming a keyblade wielder and attempting to become a master.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the experts here. Not expecting to get a clear answer, but hoping to get a better understanding, especially when taking Secret Report 2 as cannon (I've seen others theorize that chess playing came before Destiny Islands, but I think this report makes it clear that's not the case).

Others have theorized we would get a clear answer in an interview or perhaps in a future game. But it's been made clear that this game is the end of the Xehanort saga, so I do believe they will stay away from focusing on Xehanort in any future titles.

Thanks for the help!

The "guidance for the future" comes from the fact that while he does not retain any of his memories from time traveling, the drive left behind is still there. Xehanort mentioned this in a previous game. Young Xehanort doesn't remember any specific details of what happens in the future but only the desire to become a keyblade master. :)

I am convinced that one of the next games to come out will be about Xehanort and Eraqus taking the mark of mastery. In this game, we will also probably see Luxu meet Xehanort and pass down no name.

15 hours ago, Mkucherina said:

The "guidance for the future" comes from the fact that while he does not retain any of his memories from time traveling, the drive left behind is still there. Xehanort mentioned this in a previous game. Young Xehanort doesn't remember any specific details of what happens in the future but only the desire to become a keyblade master. :)

I am convinced that one of the next games to come out will be about Xehanort and Eraqus taking the mark of mastery. In this game, we will also probably see Luxu meet Xehanort and pass down no name.

I agree. While the memories aren't there, it's still etched in his heart. I think that he actually said something along those lines in DDD...

Thanks guys for the input.  I agree the "guidance from the future" seems to be the coming from the parts that are etched in his heart, and I do vaguely remember this point mentioned from DDD.  However, I think it further verifies that Destiny Islands / visit from Ansem Seeker of Darkness came before Scala ad Caelum.  Only Nomura has the true answer.  I'm aware it could be as simple as him just wanting to change the character models, and there's no real story explanation.

Even though we are being told this is the end of the Xehanort saga, I also believe he will appear in future titles.  I agree with Mkucherina in this regard.  And am hopeful at some point we will get an explanation for the timeline of "Chess Playing Xehanort" vs "Destiny Islands Young Xehanort," since it seems I am not the only one bothered by this discrepancy. ... I don't think Xehanort will be the main villain anymore, as we have seen his rise and fall so to speak.  I think that role will be passed to Master of Masters / Luxu.  However, I think he will be making cameos.  Especially since MoM is heavily tied to No Name, and seeing how it gets passed down is a big part of his story.  We know Luxu gives it to one of the 5 new union leaders, but from there who knows. Somehow the master/teacher of Eraqus and Xehanort gets it, and we still don't know who this is.  Then I'm guessing it gets passed to Xehanort at some point after they both become masters and take their leave... so I'm sure parts of this will be brought to light and hopefully an explanation in future installments.  Could very well even be DLC or one of these "middle" games before the next big installment.

I will say this about Nomura, given all the slack he gets for being overly complicated and convoluted, I do think he strives to give everything a reason, and a proper explanation. Hence the glossaries, character files, videos/descriptions of past games, etc., etc. we get in the later installments.  I do believe he has a reason for most things, and tries to justify the things that seem wrong/out of place (most of the time).

P.S. I thought of another question, also dealing with these yellow eyes. 

Spoiler

I noticed Xigbar still has yellow eyes even in the epilogue movie. Does this mean he still has a piece of Xehanort in him? And on that note, I wonder if he is going to change appearance/body for the next installment, I wonder if the yellow eyes/Xehanort will stick with him?

Circling back to this almost a year later .... seems we might finally get some answers?  KH: Dark Road anyone?  LOL.  Kudos to Mkucherina for being right on the money as far as what the next game will be.

I really hope my big question will be answered!  As far as DDD Destiny Islands Xehanort vs Chess Playing Xehanort, and the whole yellow eyes thing... I am hopeful this game will give those answers.  Fingers crossed.   :)