Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Jingilator

Spiritual successor with Nick worlds?

Just as the title says. What if Square or somebody else made a spiritual successor to Kingdom Hearts with Nickelodeon characters and worlds? My ideas would be:

-A main protagonist who travels with one companion and can have up to two others in a world.

-A Crack in Time-esque space exploration system where you can land on space rock and fight enemies sometimes to obtain rare items/materials.

-Being able to forge a weapon themed after any worlds you complete with recipes (not just getting those weapons instantly).

-Slimes from Dragon Quest being the merchants to replace Moogles.

What do you guys think? And on that note, what worlds would you like if a game like this existed? I’ll post my ideas later.

No thank you. Besides being an obvious ripoff, it just wouldn't work as well.

-While Disney characters certainly aren't the most complex characters in fiction, they have a lot of heart (pun not intended), and so they can sell emotional scenes. I just can't picture having a "deep" moment with Spongebob, CatDog, or whatever is on Nick right now.

-This crazy Disney/FF crossover was born during a very particular time in the gaming landscape, and has been able to carry that charm & quirkyness (albeit to its own detriment sometimes) throughout the years. If someone were to try and copy this formula, it would come off as gimmicky and unoriginal.

I appreciate thought exercises, and I certainly wouldn't stop someone from writing their own fanfiction, but this idea has been flown by with other properties (Loony Tunes, Dreamworks, etc.), but it just doesn't fly. People seem to forget that by all rights Kingdom Hearts should not have worked. It was only through the unique combination of two companies dominating the 90's in their respective fields collaborating (Disney & Square), an up-and-comer looking to prove himself as a director (Tetsuya Nomura), and a videogame landscape still switching to 3D looking for experimentation, that Kingdom Hearts was able to flourish.

I agree with the poster above me the whole idea behind Kingdom Hearts is that it pulls at your heart strings and lets be real would SpongeBob make you feel that way. While a game like that could certanly work it has to not follow the kh Formular and have a i dont give a crap attitute like many of the shows that are on nick

I get what you’re saying. This would be a different way to approach KH! I like the idea, but I have to agree with the others. The reason why Disney works so well within KH is the fact that Disney’s characters have complexity to them, whereas many of Nick’s shows are too silly to be taken seriously in the vein of a KH game. If we are talking Nick cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend Of Korra, that’s a whole other story! But Nick doesn’t have too many cartoons like those! 

Plus the Nicktoons are TV shows rather than movies, and in some of the more prominent properties they've run long enough for the seasonal rot to set in. SpongeBob for example, or Fairly Odd Parents, which ended not with a bang but a whimper. Danny Phantom could work as a world, as could Jimmy Neutron. The live action kid coms, like iCarly, would be much trickier because these shows don't have fantastical, science fiction or superhero settings where a Kingdom Hearts-type crossover could conceivably happen.

One potential complication with doing worlds based on TV shows is that there are so many characters, and these characters nearly all have fans or some aspect people would like to see represented. How do you narrow down the cast and don't overload it with catchphrases or running gags? So far Kingdom Hearts has shied away from TV shows and instead using movies for base material.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:37 AM, Jingilator said:

Just as the title says. What if Square or somebody else made a spiritual successor to Kingdom Hearts with Nickelodeon characters and worlds? My ideas would be:

-A main protagonist who travels with one companion and can have up to two others in a world.

-A Crack in Time-esque space exploration system where you can land on space rock and fight enemies sometimes to obtain rare items/materials.

-Being able to forge a weapon themed after any worlds you complete with recipes (not just getting those weapons instantly).

-Slimes from Dragon Quest being the merchants to replace Moogles.

What do you guys think? And on that note, what worlds would you like if a game like this existed? I’ll post my ideas later.

Actually, pal, there was already something like this. The name was "Nicktoons Unite", originally involved 4 shows ("Spongebob Squarepants", "Jimmy Neutron", "The Fairly OddParents" and "Danny Phantom"); but after that, in a sequel, it was expanded to other worlds based on Nicktoons. 

19 hours ago, Ursalink said:

Actually, pal, there was already something like this. The name was "Nicktoons Unite", originally involved 4 shows ("Spongebob Squarepants", "Jimmy Neutron", "The Fairly OddParents" and "Danny Phantom"); but after that, in a sequel, it was expanded to other worlds based on Nicktoons. 

I recall that and Cartoon Network had an online game called Fusion Fall.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, The Transcendent Key said:

Daaang, I remember the commercials for that!

Yeah, I used to be a member of Fusionfall before they well revamped it and made it into a complete boot camp where you couldn't even customize your own character and pretty much got rid of the plot.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:23 PM, ienzo628 said:

Yeah, I used to be a member of Fusionfall before they well revamped it and made it into a complete boot camp where you couldn't even customize your own character and pretty much got rid of the plot.

Ahh, I see! Well hey, games like that tend to be taken down eventually. 

4 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Well, who knows? There could be a revival in the future!

Yeah, but who knows when that will happen.  It would be interesting to see Steven Universe and Dexter's Lab have a team up.  Samurai Jack was also in Fusion Fall.  I miss the games and the networks just don't handle their online games properly.

On 7/22/2019 at 7:09 AM, ienzo628 said:

Yeah, but who knows when that will happen.  It would be interesting to see Steven Universe and Dexter's Lab have a team up.  Samurai Jack was also in Fusion Fall.  I miss the games and the networks just don't handle their online games properly.

Yep! But any sort of new game would probably be mobile, since the mobile market is where most online games are thriving in when it isn't regular console gaming.

10 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

Yep! But any sort of new game would probably be mobile, since the mobile market is where most online games are thriving in when it isn't regular console gaming.

That's true but I am concerned how CN would handle a FusionFall mobile game.

Sorta back on topic, how would you guys react if Nicktoons Unite took a KH approach with its world selection (Rugrats, Teenage Robot, etc.)? For Rugrats, I was thinking the Nicktoons be shrunk down like SDG in KH1 Wonderland, and fight Angelica Shadow of the Colossus style.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:57 PM, ienzo628 said:

I don't even know if CN will ever take a shot at resurrecting Fusionfall.  It would be interesting to see Steven Universe working with Dexter.

That would be pretty cool!

On 7/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, Jingilator said:

Sorta back on topic, how would you guys react if Nicktoons Unite took a KH approach with its world selection (Rugrats, Teenage Robot, etc.)? For Rugrats, I was thinking the Nicktoons be shrunk down like SDG in KH1 Wonderland, and fight Angelica Shadow of the Colossus style.

That would be cool! For Jimmy Neutron, I imagine it would be sort of like San Fransokyo, but smaller in scale, cuz you'd get to explore Jimmy's neighborhood and school and whatnot!

17 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

That would be pretty cool!

That would be cool! For Jimmy Neutron, I imagine it would be sort of like San Fransokyo, but smaller in scale, cuz you'd get to explore Jimmy's neighborhood and school and whatnot!

I still remember the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour.

21 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

So, with the successor idea in place, who would make for the "Maleficent" of the series?

Well, for the Jimmy Timmy Power Hour, I remember Crocker being the bad guy in one of the episodes.