Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Joshyda

KH 358/2 Days and Re:Coded scenes have jagged edges

I recently bought 'The story so far' and I'm so happy to relive all of KH's story but there's a small problem:
I was going to watch 358/2 Days' cutscenes but i noticed a drop in quality compared to kh1, kh2 and bbs (I already know about the chain of memories cutscenes so i didn't include them here). The cutscenes seem somewhat pixelated or, to be more precise, the cutscenes have jagged edges meaning some lack of antialiasing. The only one that looks fantastic is the new one where there's a fight between

Spoiler

Roxas and Xion's final form.

Same goes for Re: Coded, the cutscenes look bad on my 4k tv but kh1, 2 and bbs look all fantastic. I already checked the PS4 (which is the basic one, not the pro) video settings, set my resolution to 1080p and checked the tv video settings as well. Those two 'games' are the only problem i have so far with this collection.

The first 3 images are cutscenes from the game (They look even worse on my 4k tv) and the one where Roxas is sitting alone eating ice cream is one of those scenes with text (That one looks ok on my tv). Last one is just to show how good kh1 looks on the same TV.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1_5+2_5 ReMIX_3.jpg

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1_5+2_5 ReMIX_4.jpg

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1_5+2_5 ReMIX_10.jpg

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1_5+2_5 ReMIX_9.jpg

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1_5+2_5 ReMIX_11.jpg

Those two games were originally DS titles. They worked with remaking them as best they could into an HD format, but unfortunately being created when and how they were, the games would show lower quality than the ones that were originally released on PS2 that had a higher base quality :( It's not a system or game issue, they're just a product of their initial creation

9 hours ago, LunaCatte said:

Those two games were originally DS titles. They worked with remaking them as best they could into an HD format, but unfortunately being created when and how they were, the games would show lower quality than the ones that were originally released on PS2 that had a higher base quality :( It's not a system or game issue, they're just a product of their initial creation

The majority of the scenes for Days and Re:coded in the HD collection were made spesifically for those collections. So they originally being made on the DS shouldn’t be a problem as most of the scenes never were on the DS.

I believe the issue is that the videos are pre-render, just like Re:Chain of Memories, and therefor look worse when displayed on bigger TVs with higher resolution.

4 hours ago, JTD95 said:

The majority of the scenes for Days and Re:coded in the HD collection were made spesifically for those collections. So they originally being made on the DS shouldn’t be a problem as most of the scenes never were on the DS. 

I believe the issue is that the videos are pre-render, just like Re:Chain of Memories, and therefor look worse when displayed on bigger TVs with higher resolution.

So, the only way i can watch these scenes in all its gloriousness is just to buy a ps4 pro? I read that the ps4 pro renders the game at 4k so...
Anyway, this still bugs me because all of the other games look fantastic.
What a shame.

23 hours ago, Joshyda said:

So, the only way i can watch these scenes in all its gloriousness is just to buy a ps4 pro? I read that the ps4 pro renders the game at 4k so...
Anyway, this still bugs me because all of the other games look fantastic.
What a shame.

I don’t think a ps4 pro would help. Those scenes (as far as I know) are stuck at that resolution. You can’t get them to look better.