Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Darkfire1408

Sora doesn't have his own Keyblade?

So, I was thinking about this today. The Kingdom Key is a special Keyblade, right? The Keyblade of the Realm of Light, Just like how Mickey's Kingdom Key D is the Keyblade of the Realm of Darkness.  I was also thinking about how the Keyblades were forged in the image of the X-Blade which, along with its special nature, means that someone forged the Kingdom Key centuries before Sora was born. This suggests that it's had multiple wielders throughout the years, and doesn't die with its wielder like all the Keyblades of the warriors in UX. Another special power it seems to have is existing in multiple places at the same time, as we see Roxas and Xion both using it, although its power is split between them. It also can choose its wielder, as it hopped back and forth between Sora and Riku in KH1. Every other Keyblade wielder we've seen in the series has had their own individual Keyblade that could only be used by them, and would die shortly after they did. Mickey's Kingdom Key D is similar, and was able to be used by Aqua.

So, in a way, it's like Sora is being wielded by the Keyblade, and not the other way around. It could just choose to drop him and move on to someone else. The X-Blade could probably also do that, and I assume Aqua's got Master Eraqus's back. I wonder if the Keyblade will ever leave Sora, and if he'll have to forge a new one to use. Maybe that'll be his next Mark of Mastery Exam. Can you master using a Keyblade that isn't sentient and among the 3 most powerful weapons in the known universe? I mean, it practically does his job for him.

That's an interesting thought and also pretty much all the keyblades in UX pretty much are based off of keychains throughout the Kingdom Hearts franchise.  Also, I am not sure what you meant by keyblades dying along with their wielders?  Do they just get destroyed like Ventus' keyblade did in BBS or just lie around where their wielder perished?

It's A keyblade of the Realm of Light, not THE keyblade. There are keyblades of light and dark, Mickey's is the counterpart to Sora's.

Sora's keyblade also doesn't transcend time, Xion's keyblade was a sham, as Riku put it. Beyond that keyblades are defined by keychains, which are in turn defined by hearts. Aqua was able to wield a Destiny's Place after she met Kairi, but it wasn't Kairi's keyblade. So even if Xion's keyblade became a "true" keyblade when she self actualized it would still look like Sora/Roxas' because her heart is defined by Sora's memories.

Keyblades also aren't locked to a specific wielder. Anybody can hold one, but if the wielder is conscious it can be summoned back to them. A keyblade can still be separated from the user, like when Aqua used hers to save Terra. Sora also uses Riku's keyblade during the final fight with Xemnas in KH2. Keyblades also don't "die" with their user, when Eraqus died his keyblade was left on the ground

All Kingdom Key is, is Riku's keyblade, which became Sora's keyblade when it deemed Sora a stronger hearted individual. While it might change with future info from KHUX or something, as it stands Sora's keyblade isn't exceptional.

And the keyblade probably won't leave him because it's iconic and marketable :P

8 hours ago, hatok said:

It's A keyblade of the Realm of Light, not THE keyblade. There are keyblades of light and dark, Mickey's is the counterpart to Sora's.

Sora's keyblade also doesn't transcend time, Xion's keyblade was a sham, as Riku put it. Beyond that keyblades are defined by keychains, which are in turn defined by hearts. Aqua was able to wield a Destiny's Place after she met Kairi, but it wasn't Kairi's keyblade. So even if Xion's keyblade became a "true" keyblade when she self actualized it would still look like Sora/Roxas' because her heart is defined by Sora's memories.

i believe xion's and roaxas' keyblades are sora's keyblade appearing in multiple places at once

On 6/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, ocean's rage said:

i believe xion's and roaxas' keyblades are sora's keyblade appearing in multiple places at once

Roxas and Sora never wield Kingdom Key at the same time.  Xion's is supposedly a fake copy but who knows, it still seems to have the same abilities that any other keyblade would possess.  As for Roxas now in KH3 still dual wielding keyblades... I would imagine he just has his own at this point.  Honestly, I don't even care.  

1 hour ago, JPansullo7 said:

Roxas and Sora never wield Kingdom Key at the same time.  Xion's is supposedly a fake copy but who knows, it still seems to have the same abilities that any other keyblade would possess.  As for Roxas now in KH3 still dual wielding keyblades... I would imagine he just has his own at this point.  Honestly, I don't even care.  

no, normua did say that roxas and xion were both wielding sora's keyblade at the same time, think it was in the 358/2 days ultimania

57 minutes ago, ocean's rage said:

no, normua did say that roxas and xion were both wielding sora's keyblade at the same time, think it was in the 358/2 days ultimania

Really?  I believe you, but if that's the case it just doesn't make much sense to me

On 6/26/2019 at 9:42 PM, hatok said:

Keyblades also aren't locked to a specific wielder. Anybody can hold one, but if the wielder is conscious it can be summoned back to them. A keyblade can still be separated from the user, like when Aqua used hers to save Terra. Sora also uses Riku's keyblade during the final fight with Xemnas in KH2. Keyblades also don't "die" with their user, when Eraqus died his keyblade was left on the ground

All Kingdom Key is, is Riku's keyblade, which became Sora's keyblade when it deemed Sora a stronger hearted individual. While it might change with future info from KHUX or something, as it stands Sora's keyblade isn't exceptional.

And the keyblade probably won't leave him because it's iconic and marketable :P

Eraqus's keyblade seems to be special as well, tied to the Realm In-between. Especially seeing how Sora had to use it rather than his own to get to the Realm of Darkness. Everyone else's keyblades seem to die with them as seen in the keyblade graveyard.

I mostly mentioned multiple people wielding it at the same time because we see that Riku's other selves. (Both replikus, and data Riku) haven't been shown to weild his keyblade at the same time.

One of the biggest evidences of it for me is that Kingdom Key just so happens to look exactly like the twin keys in the X-Blade. That can't be a coincidence, especially since everyone else's keyblades are incredibly unique. This means it was one of the first keyblades created in the image of the X-Blade.

I do hope that they reveal there to something special about Kingdom Key.  One of the reasons I loved the first game so much is because Riku was made out to be the chosen one (the chosen wielder of THE keyblade, not just any keyblade) and because of Sora's strength of character, determination, and willingness to do anything to protect his friends, was able to take this all powerful weapon from Riku, the real chosen one.  With the introduction of the idea that there a countless keyblades, it kind of loses the magic and intrigue it originally had. 

I think that the Kingdom Key and the Kingdom Key D are linked to the X blade, it can't just be a design choice.  While I love the classic and simplistic look of the KK, it doesn't really fit the description of what the X-blade is supposed to be, which is a counterpart to Kingdom Hearts itself, a weapon not forged by man, but the realm.  Therefore I feel like they must have a reason for looking alike.

Edited by JPansullo7

8 hours ago, JPansullo7 said:

I do hope that they reveal there to something special about Kingdom Key.  One of the reasons I loved the first game so much is because Riku was made out to be the chosen one (the chosen wielder of THE keyblade, not just any keyblade) and because of Sora's strength of character, determination, and willingness to do anything to protect his friends, was able to take this all powerful weapon from Riku, the real chosen one.  With the introduction of the idea that there a countless keyblades, it kind of loses the magic and intrigue it originally had. 

I think that the Kingdom Key and the Kingdom Key D are linked to the X blade, it can't just be a design choice.  While I love the classic and simplistic look of the KK, it doesn't really fit the description of what the X-blade is supposed to be, which is a counterpart to Kingdom Hearts itself, a weapon not forged by man, but the realm.  Therefore I feel like they must have a reason for looking alike.

Exactly, Nomura Designed the X-Blade to have two Kingdom Keys in it. While normal keyblades are representative of their wielders, it's an impossible coincidence that the one Sora and Riku fought over looked exactly like it. Also, if they weren't special, mickey wouldn't have had to search so long to find literally any keyblade from the realm of darkness. He had to find that specific one, and had to have Donald and Goofy find its counterpart in the Realm of Light.

This is a very curious thing indeed.

But I do believe that the Kingdom Key is Sora's keyblade. Because think about it. It was originally supposed to belong to Riku, but when darkness took him, it passed on to Sora, and then when it went to Riku, it returned to Sora again because of the strength of his heart. It deemed Sora worthy of wielding it! So the fact that it chose him at that moment means Sora has had ownership of this Keyblade since then. Yes, Roxas and Xion have wielded it. How the essence of the Kingdom Key was able to split between them is a mystery to me, but maybe it's because of Roxas and Xion sharing the essence of Sora's heart? It's something to think about, for sure!

On 6/29/2019 at 9:25 AM, Darkfire1408 said:

Eraqus's keyblade seems to be special as well, tied to the Realm In-between. Especially seeing how Sora had to use it rather than his own to get to the Realm of Darkness. Everyone else's keyblades seem to die with them as seen in the keyblade graveyard.

I mostly mentioned multiple people wielding it at the same time because we see that Riku's other selves. (Both replikus, and data Riku) haven't been shown to weild his keyblade at the same time.

One of the biggest evidences of it for me is that Kingdom Key just so happens to look exactly like the twin keys in the X-Blade. That can't be a coincidence, especially since everyone else's keyblades are incredibly unique. This means it was one of the first keyblades created in the image of the X-Blade.

Sora's keyblade and the X Blade are symbolically important, they're based on the keys to heaven, down to there being a silver counterpart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_of_Heaven

Heaven in this context is Kingdom Hearts, and its been repeated that Sora will be the one who will open the door to light, but that doesn't mean his keyblade is in itself special

as for Riku's "other selves" they're all based on him using Soul Eater, which is just a sword, so they don't use his Way to Dawn. However keyblades are replicatable, just like how they're failed copies of the X Blade. Data Sora has a data keyblade, and Xion's is stated to be a fake as well. The only time Sra and Roxas' keyblades coexist before KH3 is in a Dive Into the Heart, but even then there's nothing particularly special if they can because keyblades aren't THAT special. They're just man-made weapons that happen to be very powerful. They can still be destroyed, like Riku Mickey and Axel;s were, and none of them had trouble getting replacements. Axel's keyblade is even identical to his original

It's definitely possible, likely even, that one day Sora's keyblade will have something special revealed about it, but as it stands it's just a normal one

14 hours ago, hatok said:

Sora's keyblade and the X Blade are symbolically important, they're based on the keys to heaven, down to there being a silver counterpart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keys_of_Heaven

Heaven in this context is Kingdom Hearts, and its been repeated that Sora will be the one who will open the door to light, but that doesn't mean his keyblade is in itself special

as for Riku's "other selves" they're all based on him using Soul Eater, which is just a sword, so they don't use his Way to Dawn. However keyblades are replicatable, just like how they're failed copies of the X Blade. Data Sora has a data keyblade, and Xion's is stated to be a fake as well. The only time Sra and Roxas' keyblades coexist before KH3 is in a Dive Into the Heart, but even then there's nothing particularly special if they can because keyblades aren't THAT special. They're just man-made weapons that happen to be very powerful. They can still be destroyed, like Riku Mickey and Axel;s were, and none of them had trouble getting replacements. Axel's keyblade is even identical to his original

It's definitely possible, likely even, that one day Sora's keyblade will have something special revealed about it, but as it stands it's just a normal one

I wasn't aware of the Keys of Heaven reference, but that makes it all the more evident that they're special keyblades, as well as Eraqus's, as its teeth are a simplified version of the teeth of the Keys of Heaven. Xion's keyblade was called a fake by Riku because it was weaker than Sora's. As mentioned previously in this thread, 

On 6/29/2019 at 9:12 AM, ocean's rage said:

they were wielding Sora's keyblade. Data-Sora's Keyblade was initially a fake, and was easily destroyed by Maleficent with a flick of the wrist. He was then able to grow a heart of his own and wield an actual keyblade. I'd assume that like with Roxas and Xion, this is Sora's keyblade again in another place. Axel did have his keyblade broken, and had managed to repair it, not create a new one altogether that happened to look the same. Riku's was really broken and he had to get another one, Mickey's was never broken, it was only damaged.

The main evidences why they're special are due to the facts that Mickey had to search for a special keyblade in the realm of darkness that just so happened to be a pallate-swapped Kingdom Key, and that the X-Blade contains 2 Kingdom Keys in its design. Due to this design, it's reasonable to assume that these are the Keyblades that are closest to the power of the X-blade, made in the most accurate image of it. This leads to the assumption that they were some of the first to be created in the image of the X-blade.

Well as far as we know Sora  was never bequeathed a keyblade of his own and the Kingdom Key has throughout the series on a few occasions still answered to Riku even after choosing Sora over him in KH1. I.E At Memory's Skyscraper under the guise of Oblivion. Because the original form of the Oblivion keyblade Roxas loans Riku to fight off the heartless together here is Kingdom Key it for all intents and purposes should reject Riku, but it doesn't. And this was before Soul Eater had evolved into Way to Dawn. Then in Dream Drop Distance after the battle with Armored Ventus Nightmare Riku uses Kingdom Key twice without any trouble. It's like Sora is Kingdom Key's primary user, but secondary owner.

Edited by FadedSparkle

On 8/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, FadedSparkle said:

Well as far as know Sora  was never bequeathed a keyblade of his own and the Kingdom Key has throughout the series on a few occasions still answered to Riku even after choosing Sora over him in KH1. I.E At Memory's Skyscraper under the guise of Oblivion. Because the original form of the Oblivion keyblade Roxas loans Riku to fight off the heartless together here is Kingdom Key it for all intents and purposes should reject Riku, but it doesn't. And this was before Soul Eater had evolved into Way to Dawn. Then in Dream Drop Distance after the battle with Armored Ventus Nightmare Riku uses Kingdom Key twice without any trouble. It's like Sora is Kingdom Key's primary user, but secondary owner.

That's an interesting way to look at things!

^Kingdom Key D also keeps me theorizing based on some in game happenings. I wonder if Riku and Sora weren't somehow destined to claim both Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D on the Night of Fate. Stands to reason that given the location of Kingdom Key D in 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage Riku would've come across it when he opened the door to the heart of Destiny Islands, but rejected it in some way much like he rejects the Kingdom Key later; thus leaving Kingdom Key D unclaimed and open to be found by Mickey and Aqua and Kingdom Key moving on to the person with the next strongest heart, Sora. It appeals to that sense of best friends doing everything together and especially the ongoing narrative of Sora following where Riku leads and vice versa like a perfect yin and yang circle.

Here would begin a narrative of Riku giving up one Kingdom Key to Sora and keeping the other and both starting a journey to the outside worlds together rather than what actually occurred. Some of Mickey's dialogue even sort of hints at the fact that they weren't supposed to just get one of the keys in 0.2, but that's clearly retcon if ever the series has had any that is easy to point out considering KH1's own narrative by Mickey in his letter and the whole "there can't be two keyblade masters" thing which is quickly outdone even in the vanilla release of KH1 because if that's true what does that make Mickey if Sora's meant to be The Keyblade Master rather than A Keyblade Master. Still it is a very interesting thing to ponder over. Much like how Riku got his hands on Destiny's Embrace to present to Kairi in KH2.