Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dagesh Lene

Redesigning Star Wars Land

Posted (edited)

Since there is not a lot of Kingdom Hearts news to discuss right now, I decided to post something else that I have been thinking about a lot recently.  Star Wars Land is now open in Disneyland, but it does not seem to be doing as well as Disney expected it to do.  I think that there are many different reasons contributing to why that is, but one of them is probably the fact that Star Wars Land mostly focuses on the sequel trilogy and doesn't include many popular characters and locations that guests would want to see in a Star Wars Land.  I understand that Disney wanted to make Star Wars Land as immersive as possible, and having characters from the previous movies appearing in the same land as characters from the current movies could ruin that immersion.  However, I think that you can divide the land into sections that focus on each of the trilogies and still make it feel immersive.  So, here is my idea of how they could have done just that.

The main hub of Star Wars Land would be a section of Mos Eisley.  This would serve as the main shopping district for Star Wars Land, and it would also be the area where you could build your own droid.  Among these shops would be the milk stand where blue and green milk is sold, but instead of them only being frozen beverages that don't contain dairy, I think there should be dairy options as well.  You would also be able to visit the cantina, where you would be able to get alcoholic or nonalcoholic beverages.  The Smuggler's Run ride would no longer be a ride included in Star Wars Land, but you would still be able to board the Millennium Falcon in order to meet Han Solo and Chewbacca.  There would be two rides in this area.  One would be Star Tours, which would be moved there from its current location (since Mos Eisley is a space port, Star Tours would fit right in as a ride in this area), and the other would be a Podracing ride (you would enter this ride by going under an archway leading out of Mos Eisley and into the area of Tatooine where Podraces were held in The Phantom Menace).  There would also be Stormtroopers patrolling Mos Eisley like there were in A New Hope.

If you go straight ahead and under an archway, you would enter the forest moon of Endor.  This area would mostly be for meet and greets.  You would be able to head to an Ewok village where Ewoks could be seen in the structures above you.  Here you would be able to meet Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia as well as R2-D2 and C-3PO.  You would also be able to head to an Imperial outpost where you would be able to meet Darth Vader.  This area would also be the location of the third and final ride in Star Wars Land, in which you find yourself trapped on either an Imperial Star Destroyer or the Death Star and have to escape.  This ride would be like the Rise of the Resistance ride that is still being constructed, but it would be themed to the original trilogy instead of the sequel trilogy.

Off to the left from Mos Eisley and under another archway would be a section of Naboo.  The Jedi would be visiting this area in order to find more Younglings to train.  This area would be the location of the Jedi Training Academy show, which would be moved there from its current location.  It would also be where you can meet Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda.  You would also be able to build your own lightsaber here, but instead of just building a realistic prop lightsaber, you could choose between that or building a toy lightsaber for a cheaper price.

Finally, off to the right from Mos Eisley and under another archway would be a section of Takodana, just outside of Maz Kanata’s castle.  Here, you would find that the First Order have started to set up a temporary base where you would be able to meet Kylo Ren.  In response to the First Order's arrival, you would find that the Resistance have started to set up a temporary base too where you would be able to meet Rey and BB-8.  Inside Maz Kanata's castle would be the main location to get food.

So, that is my idea for how Star Wars Land could include characters and locations from each trilogy and still feel immersive.  What do you guys think?  How would you make Star Wars Land?  Do you like Star Wars Land the way it currently is?

Edited by Dagesh Lene

This fake mock up of a Star Wars park (an actual dedicated park not just one land expansion) is awesome: https://thefairytaletraveler.com/2015/08/25/star-wars-lucas-world-theme-park-map-fake-or-leaked-starwarsland/ the article is outdated now but the map image is a really cool concept. 

I haven't been to Star Wars Galaxys Edge yet, I am a Disney World Annual Passholder so I will go to that once it opens but many of the criticisms from the Disneyland one are exactly what I was fearing from all the way back when this was announced. This could have been so easily improved by even just having three different lands / sections. One for the original trilogy, one for the prequel trilogy (would have loved a General Grievous photo op / meet, that would have been scary and so cool) and then what we have now for the new sequel movies.

I do like what we got, from what I have seen so far. Being able to build your own custom droid and lightsaber is awesome, side note: a lot of people are saying those are expensive but for quality custom lightsabers its about what you might expect to pay from my understanding of it. But yeah I just wish they would have included more from the original trilogy or even the prequels. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FlipMode said:

This fake mock up of a Star Wars park (an actual dedicated park not just one land expansion) is awesome: https://thefairytaletraveler.com/2015/08/25/star-wars-lucas-world-theme-park-map-fake-or-leaked-starwarsland/ the article is outdated now but the map image is a really cool concept. 

I haven't been to Star Wars Galaxys Edge yet, I am a Disney World Annual Passholder so I will go to that once it opens but many of the criticisms from the Disneyland one are exactly what I was fearing from all the way back when this was announced. This could have been so easily improved by even just having three different lands / sections. One for the original trilogy, one for the prequel trilogy (would have loved a General Grievous photo op / meet, that would have been scary and so cool) and then what we have now for the new sequel movies.

I do like what we got, from what I have seen so far. Being able to build your own custom droid and lightsaber is awesome, side note: a lot of people are saying those are expensive but for quality custom lightsabers its about what you might expect to pay from my understanding of it. But yeah I just wish they would have included more from the original trilogy or even the prequels. 

I definitely think that Disney could build an entire Star Wars theme park.  I think that could actually be a really big success for them if they did it right, and it could lead to not only bigger and better lands in other theme parks but also bigger and better theme parks, like how the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios caused Disney to start making better themed lands.

I personally haven't been to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge yet either, but from what I have seen, it looks like I would really enjoy it.  I can understand the issues others have with it though.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it a failure like others have, at least not yet.  I will wait to see what attendance looks like once all of the pass holders are let in to the Disneyland version (some were not being let in because of the anticipated tourists), once the other ride opens at the Disneyland version, and once the version in Hollywood Studios opens (since Walt Disney World attracts more tourists than Disneyland does).  However, even if it does end up being a failure, that could end up becoming a good thing in the longrun because it will cause Disney to find out where they went wrong and fix it so that it doesn't happen again.

Edited by Dagesh Lene

Yeah flights are pretty significantly cheaper for Orlando than they are California from England so that's why Walt Disney World is my "home" of all the parks. But also all of the adverts I've seen here for Galaxys Edge, even in the cinema, were all specifically for WDW, no mention at all of Disneyland. 

So yesterday it was announced Rise Of The Resistance will open December 5 for WDW and early January for Disneyland. This seems to be the attraction that they are hyping up the most and the one I was always more excited to see. So we will have the full experience of the land by the end of the year. I defintirly don't think it's a failure though. I just think they took too many precautions and crowd control measures for the California opening and basically just opened the land and didn't let a lot of the people who want to visit even be allowed in. But for WDW I think that it will be way busier. I mean Pandora World of Avatar on opening day had about 5-6 hour wait for Flight of passage and a line to get into the gift shop that extended all the way to the entrance of the land. So even though Galaxy's Edge is the sequel trilogy.... I don't think it's going to have low attendance. 

You bring up a good point with Pandora: World of Avatar.  That is definitely a land that could have easily been a flop, but it was a huge success, despite the fact that it seems like no one really talks about Avatar anymore.  So, either people are still huge fans of Avatar and just aren't talking about it, or people went to the land despite how they felt about the movie.  I have a feeling it's the latter, and if it is, I'm sure Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will do better in Walt Disney World than it is currently doing in Disneyland.

Also, I don't think that Galaxy's Edge is doing as badly as people are making it out to be doing.  Yes, there are not huge crowds at Galaxy's Edge right now,  but that goes for all of Disneyland, not just Galaxy's Edge.  To me, this means that there is something more going on than people just not liking Galaxy's Edge.  As you said, I think a big factor is how they handled the crowd control.  Plus, despite the fact that it looks as though no one cares, they have sold out of a lot of merchandise.  If no one cared about Galaxy's Edge, I think all of the merchandise would still be on the shelves.  Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Galaxy's Edge is a success.  It is obviously not doing what Disney was expecting, and Disney is making it known that they are not happy with the results.  However, since all of Disneyland is poorly attended right now, I think that it has more to do with how expensive tickets are, how the locals were being kept out to make room for tourists, and how Galaxy's Edge isn't even finished yet, which is probably keeping tourists away.