Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Nahara Vol.5

Your opinion on this DDD scene after the revelations of KH3?

I was replaying DDD and when this scene came up I couldn't help but notice that Sora's 'friendship speech' triggers a really strong reaction in Xigbar (Luxu). He heard our protagonist say stuff like this multiple times in the past but something in this particular statement really gets to him for some reason. I have a couple of theories about why this may be, but I'd like to hear yours first in order not to influence your answers with my own speculation.

(Time stamp is: 6:46)

What do you guys think?!

Edited by Nahara Vol.5

21 minutes ago, Nahara Vol.5 said:

I was replaying DDD and when this scene came up I couldn't help but notice that Sora's 'friendship speech' triggers a really strong reaction in Xigbar (Luxu). He heard our protagonist say stuff like this multiple times in the past but something in this particular statement really gets to him for some reason. I have a couple of theories about why this may be, but I'd like to hear yours first in order not to influence your answers with my own speculation.

(Time stamp is: 6:46)

What do you guys think?!

Why did Xigbar see all those people with Sora?  Is that what set him off and let Xemnas do his dirty work?

You know, that's something that always seemed interesting to me. When Sora showed that defiance, it literally took Xigbar for a loop! 

And now that I think about it, perhaps it's because Sora defied fate and destiny in order to get to where he was in Kingdom Hearts III. And Xigbar being Luxu, and Luxu being disciple to the MoM, probably thought that destiny was set in stone because of the Book Of Prophecies, and that everything the MoM said was ironclad. But the fact that Sora is a deviant to the whole equation and the way he was able to fight back even that deep into sleep impressed Luxu. It probably made him rethink some things, to be honest.

I tried watching the Japanese cutscene to see if I can find anything there, but it's generally the same but with some important details. You can watch it here if you want to.

From what I can see, Xigbar (Luxu) is taken aback by how powerful Sora's ties with his friends are, where both Sora and Xigbar's (and Xemnas too, I suppose) hearts react so much that Xigbar is able to see Sora's friends momentarily.

Xigbar is saying that Sora himself is nothing and that his only power comes from his friends, and not a true Keyblade wielder. Sora retorts by saying that his connection with the Keyblade's chosen ones makes him strong. In the Japanese version, the mention of the "Keyblade's power" is more explicit. I guess Xigbar is surprised that the power of the Keyblade can empower friendship, and has never seen it before in his entire lifetime given how the Keyblade War occurred.

Another possibility is that his reaction is a facade. He's trying to push Sora to exhaust himself into a deep sleep.

That's what I think.

16 hours ago, Kenneth Choo said:

I tried watching the Japanese cutscene to see if I can find anything there, but it's generally the same but with some important details. You can watch it here if you want to.

From what I can see, Xigbar (Luxu) is taken aback by how powerful Sora's ties with his friends are, where both Sora and Xigbar's (and Xemnas too, I suppose) hearts react so much that Xigbar is able to see Sora's friends momentarily.

Xigbar is saying that Sora himself is nothing and that his only power comes from his friends, and not a true Keyblade wielder. Sora retorts by saying that his connection with the Keyblade's chosen ones makes him strong. In the Japanese version, the mention of the "Keyblade's power" is more explicit. I guess Xigbar is surprised that the power of the Keyblade can empower friendship, and has never seen it before in his entire lifetime given how the Keyblade War occurred.

Another possibility is that his reaction is a facade. He's trying to push Sora to exhaust himself into a deep sleep.

That's what I think.

That's the beauty of things like this! It can be interpreted any number of ways!

11 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

That's the beauty of things like this! It can be interpreted any number of ways!

Yup! As long as something not explicitly elaborated upon in the games/titles, there can be multiple interpretations. I believe even the details exclusive to Nomura's interviews are not 100% set in stone.

I'm curious on the what the OP's theories are.

Oh hey, I've thought about this!

Luxu spent like a thousand years relying only on himself. It might have been something the MoM taught him, or it might have been something he came to believe along the way, but I think he thinks that you only need yourself to be strong. As a result, he believes that only someone who possesses individual strength is deserving of the keyblade.

Sora doesn't seem to take pride in his own strength, though. He's the total opposite. Even if he were weak and worthless on his own, he trusts in his friends to support him. After seeing the way the Foretellers utterly fell apart and didn't work together, it's likely that Xigbar doesn't see "friends" as a source of strength at all. The fact that Sora takes pride in something that Xigbar sees as a weakness is the thing that makes him react so strongly here.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:59 PM, Kenneth Choo said:

Yup! As long as something not explicitly elaborated upon in the games/titles, there can be multiple interpretations. I believe even the details exclusive to Nomura's interviews are not 100% set in stone.

I'm curious on the what the OP's theories are.

Yep! And I always like to see Nomura's thoughts on things and his explanations on the lore of the series!

On 7/27/2019 at 3:07 AM, setsugekka said:

Oh hey, I've thought about this!

Luxu spent like a thousand years relying only on himself. It might have been something the MoM taught him, or it might have been something he came to believe along the way, but I think he thinks that you only need yourself to be strong. As a result, he believes that only someone who possesses individual strength is deserving of the keyblade.

Sora doesn't seem to take pride in his own strength, though. He's the total opposite. Even if he were weak and worthless on his own, he trusts in his friends to support him. After seeing the way the Foretellers utterly fell apart and didn't work together, it's likely that Xigbar doesn't see "friends" as a source of strength at all. The fact that Sora takes pride in something that Xigbar sees as a weakness is the thing that makes him react so strongly here.

Dang, this sounds perfect! Very well thought out!

On 7/26/2019 at 8:44 AM, The Transcendent Key said:

Indeed! :D

On 7/27/2019 at 10:07 AM, setsugekka said:

You see, this is the reason why I didn't want to provide my interpretation first. Yours seems to be the most common (I've heard other people expressing it in the comments of the video I posted) and it totally makes sense, I can easily see this plot point being brought back in a future game.

But the impression I got from this scene was the exact opposite :D

I think that Luxu was the only one among the Foretellers who was never granted a Keyblade of his own (which may be the reason why he was never granted a Mask and his own Union) and he only temporarily carried No Name which wasn't his at all, just like Sora originally carried the Keyblade that was meant for Riku for a bit. The difference between him and Sora is that, later on, the Keyblade DID chose Sora while Luxu never got the chance to prove himself worthy of No Name... until the epilogue of KH3, that is. And even that is up to debate, if you ask me.

I personally don't feel that Luxu thinks that the Foretellers were "weak" for turning against each other (he too took an active part in it, provoking Ava) and probably considers it a necessary evil. In order to carry on the Master's plan, whatever it may be, the established order had to fall apart and Luxu had to leave his companions behind (In Back Cover, he asks MoM if he really needs to go alone, clearly wishing he didn't have to). What I'm saying is that, in Sora, he sees not his opposite but someone who is extremely similar to him. Someone "unworthy" who became important thanks to the part he was allowed to play in the bigger picture, assisting those that were actually chosen.

Hence why, when defeated, he is aware that the only reason why Sora could beat him was that in that moment he didn't have neither his Keyblade nor his old companions by his side.

And now... ooh boy, how the tides have changed! :3

Edited by Nahara Vol.5

On 8/1/2019 at 5:56 AM, Nahara Vol.5 said:

Indeed! :D

You see, this is the reason why I didn't want to provide my interpretation first. Yours seems to be the most common (I've heard other people expressing it in the comments of the video I posted) and it totally makes sense, I can easily see this plot point being brought back in a future game.

But the impression I got from this scene was the exact opposite :D

I think that Luxu was the only one among the Foretellers who was never granted a Keyblade of his own (which may be the reason why he was never granted a Mask and his own Union) and he only temporarily carried No Name which wasn't his at all, just like Sora originally carried the Keyblade that was meant for Riku for a bit. The difference between him and Sora is that, later on, the Keyblade DID chose Sora while Luxu never got the chance to prove himself worthy of No Name... until the epilogue of KH3, that is. And even that is up to debate, if you ask me.

I personally don't feel that Luxu thinks that the Foretellers were "weak" for turning against each other (he too took an active part in it, provoking Ava) and probably considers it a necessary evil. In order to carry on the Master's plan, whatever it may be, the established order had to fall apart and Luxu had to leave his companions behind (In Back Cover, he asks MoM if he really needs to go alone, clearly wishing he didn't have to). What I'm saying is that, in Sora, he sees not his opposite but someone who is extremely similar to him. Someone "unworthy" who became important thanks to the part he was allowed to play in the bigger picture, assisting those that were actually chosen.

Hence why, when defeated, he is aware that the only reason why Sora could beat him was that in that moment he didn't have neither his Keyblade nor his old companions by his side.

And now... ooh boy, how the tides have changed! :3

Oh snap, that is another great interpretation! Gahh, this just makes me all the more excited to see Luxu and the Foretellers in the next saga!