Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Ursalink

Potential stories coming from old worlds

One of the best things about Kingdom Hearts is the idea of exploring new worlds, usually based on Disney's movies. However, you have to admit that, while it's logical for a world (which story has been completed) no longer to appear, there are quite several elements from some others that could be explored. Some worlds have been present during Sora's 3 main journeys, one way or another; like "The Lion King", "The Little Mermaid" and "Hercules". Also, KH3 showed us that the worlds not necesarrily need to follow the plot of their movies, as they can have different kinds of adventures (although with references to the movies). We have examples on "Toy Story", "Monsters Inc" and "Big Hero 6". Therefore, we should analyse which worlds can still be useful for Kingdom Hearts' franchise in future games. I won't count the live-action remakes because they would cause too many non-senses in the continuity. (Live-Action Maleficent is clearly way different from the classic animated Maleficent, for example). Let's see:   

+ "Wonderland": First time Sora visited this world, there wasn't too much to explore. In fact, the plot almost didn't follow the plot of the movie at all. More similar to the movie was the plot in KH:UX, where we also met in person other characters from the movie, like the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. The Caterpillar is another character from the movie who appeared in minor products of KH, but not in any main game. So, I believe a new adventure here should be in order.   

+ "Deep Jungle": It really bugs the fact that they couldn't use Tarzan's world for more than the first game. After the success of the whole KH's franchise, anyone could say Disney would have permission to use him again. Elements from the animated series of Tarzan would be useful to visit this world again; especially the new villains, like Tublat, the exiled gorilla. And on top of them, we have Queen La, wizard queen of the lost city of Opar.   

+ "Olympus": All the main points of the main movie has been already used, but considering how important have been this world through ALL the games, I believe we could still see it again thanks to the animated series of Hercules. That series put us mainly while Herc was in training and in the High School, but the antagonists used in it could be useful for new adventures. Between them we had Echidna (mother of al monsters), Ares (God of War) and Antaeus (the half titan).   

+ "Agrabah": Normally, we could say they already used the main movie and "The Return of Jafar". However, it doesn't have much sense how Jafar was defeated in KHII, as he was defeated, and then his lamp disappeared. To truly defeat Jafar, it should have been like in the movie, destroy the lamp and you destroy Jafar. With this, Jafar could still appear when less expected. Even so, we still have the animated series of Aladdin and the final movie "Aladding and the King of Thieves". Not to mention Sora still haven't seen elements from Agrabah that appeared in KH:UX, like the inside of the Palace, meeting the Sultan and Rasoul. We still have a lot to see from Agrabah.   

+ "Pinnochio": There's not much to mention about this, as we saw Pinnochio becoming a real boy at the end of the first game. Still, the fact of a sleeping world being truly restored in still unaswered. After KH:3D, was Pinnochio's world really restored? They should show us.   

+ "Atlantica": The first game showed us a story that could have happened in the animated series of "The Little Mermaid", and KH-II followed more of the first movie's plot. Still, elements from the animated series could be used for more adventures, as well as the movie about "The Origin of the Little Mermaid" and of course, "The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the sea".   

+ "Halloween Town": Oficially, this world is already completed, but if they can use it, they could expand it using the plot from the videogame "Oogie's revenge".   

+ "Neverland": We have the sequel of "Return to NeverLand" to use, but they could use the movies of Tinker Bell too. They are supposed to happen BEFORE Tinker Bell met Peter Pan, but the stories can still be adapted, somehow.   

+ "The Land of Dragons": Obviously, the plot they can still use here would be "Mulan 2". There's no much action in this movie, but it can always be adapted to the world of Kingdom Hearts.   

+ "Beast's Castle": KH-II ended with, apparently, the spell broken. However, Sora never met Maurice (Belle's father) or Gaston, who appeared back in KH:UX. So, I believe this have to be solved somehow, because is really sad Gaston was never saw in HD.   

+ "The Caribbean": Obviously, this world still have material for a lot of future adventures. They had to skip "Dead's Men Chest" for obvious reasons; otherwise, Sora would have surely helped to save Jack from the Krakken, ruining the next movie. "On Stranger Tides" and "Dead Men Tell No Tales" are great material to appear in the future of Kingdom Hearts.   

+ "The Pride Lands": Simba has been along Sora for most of his journeys, so it's only fitting for Sora to return to the Pride Lands at some time. The most logical thing would be using the plot of "Simba's Pride", but considering the great things of the animated series "The Lion Guard", I believe this could work too for Sora. Becoming honorary members of the Lion Guard would fit perfectly to Sora, Donald and Goofy.   

+ "Castle of Dreams": The main movie was already used, but the sequel "What If...?" could give us a hint for a chance to use this world again, when Lady Tremaine gets her hands on the Fairy GodMother's wand and turns the clock back. Now that I think of it, if Maleficent learns about this trick, she could use in other worlds too, like Agrabah, Dwarf Woodlands and Enchanted Dominion. An interesting new trick to get more from old stories.   

+ "Dwarf Woodlands" and "Enchanted Dominion": What I said about Castle of Dreams.   

+ "Deep Space": We only saw the part of the movie from the beginning, before Stitch reached the Earth. So, they have to adapt the rest of the story about Stitch finding his Ohana on Hawaii, alongside Lilo. Also, elements about the animated series and Stitch's cousins could still be used to increase Stitch's role in Kingdom Hearts's universe. I don't think it will be too complicated, after all; Sora has already visited a "modern world" in San Fransokyo.   

+ "La Cité des Cloches": We already had the plot of the movie in KH:3D, but I'm not sure if that can be counted, considering this world was asleep when Sora and Riku visited. Maybe making another visit to it will be necessary.   

+ "Country of the Musketeers": It doesn't have sense to visit this world again.   

+ "Symphony Of Sorcery": Maybe Sora could visit this world again, adapting the musical segments from "Fantasia 2000".   

+ "Space Paranoids" and "The Grid": The main plots from both movies were already used, but considering how "virtual reality" is getting an important role in the universe of "Kingdom Hearts", maybe Tron's world could have more importance in the future.   

+ "100 Acre Wood": You like it or not, I personally like this world in KH; mainly because it works like a "little paradise" where Sora can momentarily escape from all the darkness he fights and relax. Personally, as long as Christopher Robin doesn't appear, I believe this world will keep appearing.   

+ "Toy Box": This world gave us the first time we don't truly follow the plot of a movie, so it would be interesting to see them again in the future. Personally, the whole thing of Verum Rex makes this world a point of interest. And even if Sora never meets Andy face to face, it sure is fun to see Sora in the world of Toy Story. I hope next time, he will meet the rest of the gang, like Jessie, Bullseye, the Potato Heads and Bo Peep.   

+ "Monstropolis": The main plot of the movie was already "used" into a new adventure, and I don't see any reason to return to this world. However, since I don't think we have seen the last of Vanitas, I believe he could return to this world again to gain more negative emotions. Not to mention there's something really weird with this word; because it seems it can connect with all the worlds we know. During the scene where Mike and Sully throw Vanitas through several doors, we can recognize other worlds from the game: The frozen forest of Arendelle, the floor of Corona's main plaza, the night's street of San Fransokyo, and what appears to be somewhere in Toy Story's world.   

+ "Kingdom of Corona": Rapunzel's role as one of the New Seven Hearts makes logical Sora will have to return to this world at some point. For new adventures, they can use the plot from the animated series, where Rapunzel's hair was restored, but without healing powers.   

+ "Arendelle": Just like Rapunzel, Anna and Elsa's role as members of the New Seven Hearts makes necessary for Sora to return here at some point. I guess they could use the plot from the new future movie, "Frozen 2".   

+ "San Fransokyo": Finally, the animated series of Big Hero 6 could be used to give us more adventures along this team. Especially after the presence of two Baymaxes in the team broke all the continuity until now.   

Well, what do you think?

These are all splendid ideas! For me, honestly, I'd love to see the Caribbean, Halloween Town, La Cite Le Cloches and The Grid return the most, since there's still so much that can be done, story wise! For the Caribbean, definitely battling against Blackbeard or Salazar would be a thrill! For Halloween Town, I'd definitely love to get the chance to team up with Jack Skellington again! And honestly, original stories can be created for the worlds that don't have to follow the movies, ya know? As for La Cite De Cloches, I just want an excuse to visit this world again, since Hunchback is one of my favorite Disney films! For the Grid, we still have the whole Sora and Tron arc that was left unresolved, since Sora doesn't know if Tron fully restored himself to the way he was, ya know?

Also, I agree that the 100 Acre Wood should return!

Edited by The Transcendent Key

The Disney XD show Tron Uprising was a sort of prequel to Tron Legacy, so using that as a starting point could be something. The protagonist Beck was mentored by Tron, so using that in a post-Legacy Grid would resolve Tron's fate in Legacy, give closure for fans of Uprising and expand the lore beyond Legacy, which seems to be the only way it'd happen at the moment.

Using Neverland in a story based on Return to Neverland would work for a new protagonist in Jane's role, returning to how KH1 used the visits to the worlds to influence the character arcs of the original character.

Regarding your Land of Dragons pitch, having external influences would actually vastly improve on the plot of Mulan II. The conflict of the original film only occurs because Mushu goes majorly out of character.

15 hours ago, The Transcendent Key said:

These are all splendid ideas! For me, honestly, I'd love to see the Caribbean, Halloween Town, La Cite Le Cloches and The Grid return the most, since there's still so much that can be done, story wise! For the Caribbean, definitely battling against Blackbeard or Salazar would be a thrill! For Halloween Town, I'd definitely love to get the chance to team up with Jack Skellington again! And honestly, original stories can be created for the worlds that don't have to follow the movies, ya know? As for La Cite De Cloches, I just want an excuse to visit this world again, since Hunchback is one of my favorite Disney films! For the Grid, we still have the whole Sora and Tron arc that was left unresolved, since Sora doesn't know if Tron fully restored himself to the way he was, ya know?

Also, I agree that the 100 Acre Wood should return!

Thanks, pal. Glad you like this. 

14 hours ago, jbmasta said:

The Disney XD show Tron Uprising was a sort of prequel to Tron Legacy, so using that as a starting point could be something. The protagonist Beck was mentored by Tron, so using that in a post-Legacy Grid would resolve Tron's fate in Legacy, give closure for fans of Uprising and expand the lore beyond Legacy, which seems to be the only way it'd happen at the moment.

Using Neverland in a story based on Return to Neverland would work for a new protagonist in Jane's role, returning to how KH1 used the visits to the worlds to influence the character arcs of the original character.

Regarding your Land of Dragons pitch, having external influences would actually vastly improve on the plot of Mulan II. The conflict of the original film only occurs because Mushu goes majorly out of character.

+ About Neverland, I believe Jane can work perfectly. I mean, NeverLand seems to be a world where time doesn't pass. I mean, Wendy becomes adult and have children, but Peter, Hook and all other remain the same. Now that I think of it, "Jake and the NeverLand Pirates" could work, although they should adapt the character to be a little more "serious" and maybe a little "dark".   

+ About Land of the Dragons, yeah. Certainly, manipulation from the Heartless could be useful to improve the plot from "Mulan 2". 

I'd love to see a revisit to the La Cite de Cloches by Riku where he can bond with the real Esmeralda, Quasimodo, and Captain Phoebes. Better yet if they stick with the whole idea that the bonds formed with others never really fade away and those three remember him to some degree. Also we simply must see the gang from The World Ends With You again. I am sure that a lot of the old Disney property worlds still have plenty of life in them for Kingdom Hearts and since most of their original stories were already exhausted and they're older works I can easily imagine them being some of the better worked in worlds where Disney lets Nomura get pretty creative with the story told in them and how the characters will bond with Sora, Donald, and Goofy or whoever happens to be in the player party when visiting them. I worry a lot for worlds like Arendelle and Kingdom of Corona story wise after KH3. They just were not good worlds from that particular angle and they highlight why having mostly newer IPs in the games would be a big mistake.