Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Smithee

Your Fanon-Discontinuity Moments

What do you dislike so much, you refuse to take it as canon?

For me, one is King Sombra's role in Season 9's premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:

In Season 3's premiere, and his alternate future in Season 5's finale -- he was a no-nonsense enigma whose actions/effects spoke for him. And in the tie-in comics FIENDship Is Magic and Siege Of The Crystal Empire -- he became a complex Darth Vader-type that was just as smart and serious as his on-show self, and his presence even gave said Empire more worldbuilding than ever.

...Until S9's premiere ignored said comics; gave him a cackling, cliched new persona overnight; and devolved him to the KGBeast/Slipknot of Grogar's Suicide Squad.

The way I see it -- the latter was just a defective clone/golem, and the real Sombra's arc already ended in said comics.

Edited by Smithee

Anything that JK Rowling says anymore about Harry Potter... It's cool if people consider it canon but with a lot of stuff that she says is just out of left field personally.

And kinda Raiden and Rose getting back together after Metal Gear Solid 4... In short terms she lied to him to protect their family from the villains but he didn't know and kinda led him tumbling down into becoming a cyborg, and feeling betrayed by Rose. Then it's all made up in the end after he finds out he actually has a kid. It's kinda like the situation with Forrest Gump and Jenny... She kept pushing him away but then magically spawned a child. And now she wants to get together despite through out the entire movie she doesn't want him. I just can't imagine going back together with her after all of that... but that's just me :P Despite my disliking towards Rose, the scene at the end with them becoming a family was absolutely adorable. I'm sorry I'm really salty over that character XD

Kingdom Hearts 3 has me in a lot of areas:

-Sora does manage to ask Zeus to train for his powers back, but they can’t because of Hades’ attack. So Zeus, having known about the legend of the Keyblade War, is able to give Sora most of his power back, but changed so that Drives are linked to Keyblade Transformations (also, this is when Sora gets his new outfit).

-Dream Eaters are the main enemy of Toy Box, which turns out to be an artificial Sleeping World created using power from the Realm of Sleep. Young Xehanort does this as an experiment to see if even dreams can have a heart (which will lead to the Organization’s 13th darkness).

-Unversed are the main enemy of Arendelle, attracted by Elsa’s fear of hurting those around her. Eventually, it’s discovered that she’s a unique Princess of Heart that holsters an equal heart of both light and darkness.

Well Harry Potter was already brought up, but The Cursed Child, Voldemort and Bellatrix having a kid and all that time turner business just seems very out there for me. 

Also, the post FF X-2 novella and audio drama. It's not so much that I refuse to acknowledge these as canon it's more I have a really difficult time liking and accepting them. Great to know what the characters were up to after the events of the games, not a fan of the direction they went with it.  

For Kingdom Hearts, it's the nonsense about Lady Tremaine in BBS. It's always irritated me how she's show as this sadistic big bad, then she (presumably) explodes. Then a few other, spoilery things with her later. I ignore it fully.

I also choose to pretend the Riverdale Heathers episode never happened, in both fandoms. It was a mess either way you look at it. 

Harry Potter and the Curse Child because it has all the hallmarks of bad fanfiction and is completely inconsistent with how time travel has been depicted in the franchise previously. Whereas Prisoner of Azkaban established Time Turners only had limited range (Hermione's was used to go back two hours) precisely to avoid paradoxes and usually resulted in a stable time loop. Cursed Child has the timeline altered, with a special never previously mentioned Time Turner.

In a happy coincidence, a Fourth Doctor Big Finish storyline I absolutely despise ends up not happening because of the incredibly lazy use of the reset button (which ironically is one reason I don't like the storyline). Fate of Krelos and Return to Telos promised the Fourth Doctor and Leela vs the Cybermen, but Fate of Krelos was a boring slow paced and predictable plot with utterly generically characterised guest characters, and Return to Telos felt like bad fanfiction and completely wasted the potential of going all Trials and Tribbleations with Tomb of the Cybermen. Jamie and Leela never meet each other (an injustice fixed in Dumb Waiter from the Companion Chronicles line) and the whole thing comes off as an excuse for the writer to rewatch one of he favorite stories again.

Batman the dark knight rises. The ending of the second movie was perfect and the sequel feels like nolan did not want to make another movie but had to because trilogy. Bane is not an interesting villian all the ideas brought up in the movie before a left unfinished oh jea and it has one of the worst death scenes in history you know which one i mean

2 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

Oh God I had successfully forgot that I paid money for this >.<

GG Wakeless

On topic, for me it's when the KH3 Ultimania says that a month has passed between KH2 and KH3. No, just no. 

But doesn't that seem reasonable?

3 hours ago, 2 quid is good said:

Nope, not to me. Even if I don't like much of what happened in KH3 I can accept that it's canon but I *refuse* to accept this utter mathematical stupidity.

Okay, maybe a month didn’t pass. Maybe three weeks at most. But i still would like to know how a month is mathematically stupid.

1 hour ago, Jingilator said:

Okay, maybe a month didn’t pass. Maybe three weeks at most. But i still would like to know how a month is mathematically stupid.

three weeks is even worse XD

Up until DDD everything showed that it had been 12 years since BBS happened, which means in KH3 Sora should be 16. Heck even in KH2 we see HPO's summer vacation end, and then all of a sudden it's retconned to be just a month after KH3, and that HPO are still on summer summer vacation.

Nope, nuh uh. I refuse to accept that. Everything else I don't like, I can accept it's happened and that's the way it is. But not this. It's unnecessarily dumb.

29 minutes ago, 2 quid is good said:

three weeks is even worse XD

Up until DDD everything showed that it had been 12 years since BBS happened, which means in KH3 Sora should be 16. Heck even in KH2 we see HPO's summer vacation end, and then all of a sudden it's retconned to be just a month after KH3, and that HPO are still on summer summer vacation.

Nope, nuh uh. I refuse to accept that. Everything else I don't like, I can accept it's happened and that's the way it is. But not this. It's unnecessarily dumb.

I’m pretty sure the 12 years thing was a mistranslation..? Either way, let’s not escalate this discussion.

EDIT: Yeah, I checked. It was on the KH Wiki. Check Terra’s journal entry and click the [1] under the DDD section.

Edited by Jingilator

54 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

I’m pretty sure the 12 years thing was a mistranslation..? Either way, let’s not escalate this discussion.

EDIT: Yeah, I checked. It was on the KH Wiki. Check Terra’s journal entry and click the [1] under the DDD section.

First of all I've already outlined stuff from KH2 which also makes the whole "one month" makes no sense.

Second of all the topic was about what people personally find so reprehensible that it makes them go "NOPE, NOT CANON". This is the only thing that has ever made me feel this way. I didn't even escalate the topic, I just responded to OP. But you're right, lets drop this.

This isn’t really the case of me disliking them, but

To me, only the main six Persona games are canon. I definitely don’t hate the spinoffs (I especially love PQ/PQ2), and I can accept them being technically canon, but I just want to keep them separate from the main lore. I don’t even like having P4G or P3P as part of the canon (sorry femc), and as much as I’m looking froward to P5R, the vanilla P5 will always be the canon version for me.

Wrestling:

Undertaker should've won at Hell In A Cell 2015. Brock Lesnar already got the honor of breaking The Streak back in 2014, so why not let 'Taker get his last laugh and balance the scales here?

And speaking of The Streak... The first rule is, you do not talk about Roman Reigns; the second rule is, you do not talk about Roman Reigns.

Edited by Smithee

On 8/19/2019 at 3:37 PM, 2 quid is good said:

On topic, for me it's when the KH3 Ultimania says that a month has passed between KH2 and KH3. No, just no. 

what's wrong with that? even the twlight town kids say it hasn't been that long since they saw Sora,  Coded is just a computer simulation so it's almost like watching a movie, wouldn't take that long, and DDD takes places pretty much directly after KH2 and since it's all within dreams you can take that it plays like inception and the whole story of the game happened in a couple of hours my guess is that the timeline is something like this

1.- Xemnas Defeated, everyone returns to their own worlds ->  2.- Mickey studies the Journal, KH Coded takes place -> 3.- Mickey visits Yen Sid and is intructed to summon Sora and Riku so he writes the letter -> 4.- Kairi delivers the letter to Sora at the end of KH2 -> 5.-KH DDD happens -> 6.-KH3

2.- Should take at most a week, from where Jimminy discovers the blank journal up to Mickey writes the letter to Sora

4.- Sora and the gang seem to be chilling at destiny islands, it seems like they are still adjusting to peace returning to their world, so again, it seems not a lot of time has passed

5.- lets say it took another week between Mickey sending the letter and Sora & Riku arriving at the mysterious tower (but I think since it was an order from Yen Sid to Mickey, the letter should arrive almost instantaneously), then the Sora & Riku's test happens, in the realm of sleeep, again inception rules so it doesn't take long, by the end Sora decided to go say goodbye to the dream eaters while Mickey and Riku are sent in their first mission to find Aqua, AGAIN let's be generous and say it took a week for them to be prepared for the RoD and Sora to leave for Olympus

That gives us a very generous 3 weeks between kh2 and kh3, even if for the characters (like Sora who spent all that time in the realm of sleep) and the audience for.....obivous reasons, it feels like so much longer

On 8/25/2019 at 6:32 PM, corpiman said:

what's wrong with that? even the twlight town kids say it hasn't been that long since they saw Sora,  Coded is just a computer simulation so it's almost like watching a movie, wouldn't take that long, and DDD takes places pretty much directly after KH2 and since it's all within dreams you can take that it plays like inception and the whole story of the game happened in a couple of hours my guess is that the timeline is something like this

1.- Xemnas Defeated, everyone returns to their own worlds ->  2.- Mickey studies the Journal, KH Coded takes place -> 3.- Mickey visits Yen Sid and is intructed to summon Sora and Riku so he writes the letter -> 4.- Kairi delivers the letter to Sora at the end of KH2 -> 5.-KH DDD happens -> 6.-KH3

2.- Should take at most a week, from where Jimminy discovers the blank journal up to Mickey writes the letter to Sora

4.- Sora and the gang seem to be chilling at destiny islands, it seems like they are still adjusting to peace returning to their world, so again, it seems not a lot of time has passed

5.- lets say it took another week between Mickey sending the letter and Sora & Riku arriving at the mysterious tower (but I think since it was an order from Yen Sid to Mickey, the letter should arrive almost instantaneously), then the Sora & Riku's test happens, in the realm of sleeep, again inception rules so it doesn't take long, by the end Sora decided to go say goodbye to the dream eaters while Mickey and Riku are sent in their first mission to find Aqua, AGAIN let's be generous and say it took a week for them to be prepared for the RoD and Sora to leave for Olympus

That gives us a very generous 3 weeks between kh2 and kh3, even if for the characters (like Sora who spent all that time in the realm of sleep) and the audience for.....obivous reasons, it feels like so much longer

Don't. We already dropped that.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:32 AM, corpiman said:

This would all be well and good if blank points and DDD didn't say that it had been 12 years since BBS, making Sora around 16 in DDD/KH3. It's just one of those pointless retcons that annoy me, and it's the only "discontinuity" moment that comes to my mind. Also HPO's vacation ended in KH2 and in KH3 it's been apparently a month since KH2 and they're still on vacation. It's just mathematical silliness and I don't like it, that's all.

On 8/30/2019 at 5:42 AM, 2 quid is good said:

This would all be well and good if blank points and DDD didn't say that it had been 12 years since BBS, making Sora around 16 in DDD/KH3. It's just one of those pointless retcons that annoy me, and it's the only "discontinuity" moment that comes to my mind. Also HPO's vacation ended in KH2 and in KH3 it's been apparently a month since KH2 and they're still on vacation. It's just mathematical silliness and I don't like it, that's all.

What's the problem with that? yes Sora is 14 then the whole of kh1, which was a big adventure, even in canon so it should take a couple days if not weeks, then the established year that starts when roxas is born(the earliest point of this is in hollow bastion the moment Sora turns himself into a heartless during KH1's endgame) to the end of the prologue of kh2, so now Sora is 15 and a bit, then kh2 which again a couple days or weeks to complete and after the finale of KH2 some other weeks until Mickeys letter arrives and Sora and Riku take the Mark of Mastery Test

So while it hasn't officially 12 years, for simplicity's sake it is easier to say 12 years than 11 years and 7 months

for the twilight town's kids when do they say they are on vacation still? they just reference the 7 wonders essay they made in kh2 which was due for the end of vacation, and now they said they dont' need to work on that any more so... they already made their report and are not on vacation, maybe we just dropped on twilight town on a weekend or after school was done for the day