Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Sign in to follow this  
Aquaberry

Yoko Shimomura dedicates the track "Nocturne" in memory of late musician Jahseh Onfroy (XXXTentacion), a long-time Kingdom Hearts fan

Recommended Posts

A new video has been uploaded on the late XXXTENTACION's YouTube channel featuring "Nocturne", a track composed by Kingdom Hearts composer Yoko Shimomura in memory of the late musician Jahseh Onfroy, who was a big fan of Kingdom Hearts. Here, Shimomura is seen playing the piano for the track; at the end of the video, Yoko responds to an question on why she decided to name the track "Nocturne", while a video of Onfroy listening to her music on repeat on a boat plays in the background. The video also features tweets that Onfroy had made about his love for Kingdom Hearts.

"Nocturne" is featured on the Deluxe edition of XXXTentacion's second studio album "?", which released today.

Shimomura said on Twitter that she composed the track while thinking about what Onfroy was thinking in the very last moments before his death, and that she would be happy if fans would listen to it. She also wrote that Onfroy loved her music so much that he listened to her songs before going to bed every night. She added that when she was shown the video of Onfroy on the boat listening to Kingdom Hearts music (more specifically, the track "Vector to the Heavens" from Shimomura's album "memória!"), it brought her to tears.

You can watch the video and listen to "Nocturne" below.

The description of the video is as follows.

Quote

Unknown to many, Jahseh frequently went to the music of Yoko Shimomura for comfort & peace. 
She is responsible for the soundtracks behind numerous video games including Jahseh's favorite, Kingdom Hearts.

Not long before his passing he showed interest in traveling to Japan, to make new music, create art and be inspired.

We are honored to have been able to meet with Yoko at the Bunkamura, where she played for us her original composition in tribute to Jahseh. Yoko actually heard about Jahseh’s passing before his team had reached out requesting this collaboration. She was shocked and horrified by the death of a young man due to gun violence, and was moved after seeing the video of Jahseh on a boat listening to her work on repeat.

Translations for this article were provided by KH13 Staff @Mio-chan.


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is nice, but the dude was a genuinely bad person regardless of how good his music may or may not have been. Just look at his rap sheet, and he was only 20. Shimomura wasted her effort imo.

Edited by Kaweebo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaweebo said:

This is nice, but the dude was a genuinely bad person regardless of how good his music may or may not have been. Just look at his rap sheet, and he was only 20. Shimomura wasted her effort imo.

When you say bad...bad music or overall bad? :[ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kaweebo said:

This is nice, but the dude was a genuinely bad person regardless of how good his music may or may not have been. Just look at his rap sheet, and he was only 20. Shimomura wasted her effort imo.

Regardless of what a person has done, a person is still a person. I don’t think this was a waste at all. I think it’s a beautiful way of showing that everyone deserves to be loved and cared for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Iamkingdomhearts1000 said:

When you say bad...bad music or overall bad? :[ 

Bad as in he invaded someone’s home, pistol-whipped them, and stole their stuff; physically assaulted a pregnant woman and stabbed at least nine people. 

2 hours ago, Door_to_Light_95 said:

Regardless of what a person has done, a person is still a person. I don’t think this was a waste at all. I think it’s a beautiful way of showing that everyone deserves to be loved and cared for. 

I can agree on principle that a person is still a person and deserves to be treated humanely, but celebrating or tributing art in the memory of a crook, regardless of how well made their music was or not, is a misguided endeavor. The only reason he isn’t still in jail is because a lot of his crimes were committed when he was underage. 

Edited by Kaweebo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kaweebo said:

I can agree on principle that a person is still a person and deserves to be treated humanely, but celebrating or tributing art in the memory of a crook, regardless of how well made their music was or not, is a misguided endeavor. The only reason he isn’t still in jail is because a lot of his crimes were committed when he was underage. 

I feel that Yoko did this out of genuine feelings she had when she saw his video listening to her music and learning about how big a fan he was, and the shock that he was killed so young. I don't think she was really aware or keen on looking up his problematic side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aquaberry said:

I feel that Yoko did this out of genuine feelings she had when she saw his video listening to her music and learning about how big a fan he was, and the shock that he was killed so young. I don't think she was really aware or keen on looking up his problematic side.

That’s fair and most likely what it is. And I completely respect her as a person even more for doing something like this for someone she’s only ever heard about; it’s just that, for me, I can’t reconcile his actions with his music or his tragic death to justify celebrating or honoring him.

There are far worthier people who died too young and were KH fans I’m sure. Regardless, the thought is nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 9:59 PM, Kaweebo said:

Bad as in he invaded someone’s home, pistol-whipped them, and stole their stuff; physically assaulted a pregnant woman and stabbed at least nine people. 

I can agree on principle that a person is still a person and deserves to be treated humanely, but celebrating or tributing art in the memory of a crook, regardless of how well made their music was or not, is a misguided endeavor. The only reason he isn’t still in jail is because a lot of his crimes were committed when he was underage. 

Then I guess he must have had a disturbing life himself. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to defend this asshole sounding guy, however...no one should ever forget the fact that in most cases, assholes BECOME assholes because they were inflicted in ways upon their lives as well. I will never say their actions should be excused...but only to take into account that evil is never born from nothing. Know what I mean? again you're not wrong @Kaweebo but I just want to remain open to the aforementioned fact. 

Edited by Iamkingdomhearts1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about the guy, I don't listen to rap ever, and I did read the bad things he has done. What Yoko did was very thoughtful and when it all boils down the guy was a Kingdom Hearts fan despite all of the bad he has done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...