Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Iscreamer1

Unpopular opinion: the Disney worlds are no longer relevant

I don’t know about you, but I am starting to become one of those fans who feel that the Disney worlds are starting to become meaningless, especially in III. If Kingdom Hearts IV starts to venture off into darker and more mature territory, let alone boosting the game rating up to “T”,  they should go with Marvel and Star Wars and leave the animated classics altogether.

That was largely due to Pixar's insistence on maintaining Canon. Square wasn't allowed to alter the story in any way, they had to come up with a new self-contained story that could be considered canon to the series as a whole. That's why monsters Inc took place after the movie, and toy box in-between 2 and 3. They both end in a way that allows the next movie/series to pick up where they left off. It was also due to a smaller extent to square's focus on tying everything together in the Xehanort saga. The entire concept of the game is final fantasy-esque characters travelling through a Disney universe. And every character besides those introduced in a Disney or square property before kingdom hearts is joint owned. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Xehanort, the Master of Masters, Even Sora's mom, if she ever becomes more than a disembodied voice, they're all half Disney themselves. You can't take Disney out of the universe, otherwise Sora would be a half-lion cub with a chainsaw.

I don't want to get rid of Disney. That's part of the magic of Kingdom Hearts. I just want the Disney/Pixar elements to matter and play a larger part in the overall story. I think KH3 did some elements pretty well, such as Vanitas using the screams of the Monster inc world to revive himself, the replica research and how they tied it to Toy Story, Baymax, and even kinda Davy Jones with the whole "being able to be active with his heart and body separated" thing. I wanted deeper relevance for sure but I wouldn't say they were irrelevant.

2 hours ago, SweetYetSalty said:

I don't want to get rid of Disney. That's part of the magic of Kingdom Hearts. I just want the Disney/Pixar elements to matter and play a larger part in the overall story. I think KH3 did some elements pretty well, such as Vanitas using the screams of the Monster inc world to revive himself, the replica research and how they tied it to Toy Story, Baymax, and even kinda Davy Jones with the whole "being able to be active with his heart and body separated" thing. I wanted deeper relevance for sure but I wouldn't say they were irrelevant.

This, everything but Baymax. That would have worked so much better if it was a Norted Data-Riku. Coded would have had an actual part to play in the game, aside from a brief reference in Twilight Town.

It's been said before but darker ≠ more mature. While the Disney Worlds do seem a bit detached from the main story at times, they do have their moments as someone mentioned above. I don't think including movies with more "mature" themes would make things more meaningful though. They could very well include Marvel and Star Wars and just rehash the stories from those movies and it still wouldn't have a great effect on the bigger picture. Getting rid of the Disney would be a mistake imo. 

Star wars would fit in well, lots of discussion about light and darkness and the balance that needs to be maintained between them. I could see Riku exploring in episode 3, alongside anakin till he turns evil. Especially with Palatine talking about the power that comes from a balance of light and dark. Intervenes to save the kids, tells anakin that he's no longer in balance, he's given up the light completely. Or Sora in episode 1, nice minigame with podracing, finish up with the gummiship joining the fray on naboo. Marvel would be more difficult to integrate.

I would be glad if Square Enix dumps Disney in the next Kingdom Hearts games.  Disney is far too demanding and controlling now and it showed in KH3.  KH3 didn't even feel like a Kingdom Hearts game, just a big Disney advertisement.  Also, I don't want any Star Wars, Marvel , etc in future KH games; they're just more Disney nonsense now.  Either make worlds to explore other Square Enix games like Final Fantasy, TWEWY, etc or make new original worlds to visit in Kingdom Hearts.

Edited by Raynaninja

1 hour ago, Raynaninja said:

I would be glad if Square Enix dumps Disney in the next Kingdom Hearts games.  Disney is far too demanding and controlling now and it showed in KH3.  KH3 didn't even feel like a Kingdom Hearts game, just a big Disney advertisement.  Also, I don't want any Star Wars, Marvel , etc in future KH games; they're just more Disney nonsense now.  Either make worlds to explore other Square Enix games like Final Fantasy, TWEWY, etc or make new original worlds to visit in Kingdom Hearts.

ok if you hate disney that much why are playing kingdom hearts?

5 hours ago, Raynaninja said:

Pixar was much more controlling than Disney. While the two joint own a lot of properties, they are separate entities.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:24 PM, Iscreamer1 said:

venture off into darker and more mature territory

Seriously, this is all you ever think about, making KH darker for no reason.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, ocean's rage said:

ok if you hate disney that much why are playing kingdom hearts?

This.. .. There are multiple people I've seen that say they love KH but hate the Disney parts even though the games are 90% Disney. 

1 minute ago, ocean's rage said:

how peculiar 

I understand why tbh. Disney is considered pretty childish so more mature players might be turned off by it. I honestly still think it's great but if I hadn't played any of the games at all, idk if I would've actually given KH a chance. 

52 minutes ago, Sentient Potato said:

I understand why tbh. Disney is considered pretty childish so more mature players might be turned off by it. I honestly still think it's great but if I hadn't played any of the games at all, idk if I would've actually given KH a chance. 

i suppose that make sense, but i see most of the films included being for everyone and if people cant watch them cause their "childish" then its their loss

the disney worlds are part of kingdom heart's identity, to get rid of them would be the worst possible decision for the series

but of course thats just how i see things

1 hour ago, ocean's rage said:

i suppose that make sense, but i see most of the films included being for everyone and if people cant watch them cause their "childish" then its their loss

the disney worlds are part of kingdom heart's identity, to get rid of them would be the worst possible decision for the series

but of course thats just how i see things

I completely agree

Kind of late here just finished my first playthrough on proud mode I put it off for months and downloaded Re Mind and beat Yozora. A.K.A. Noctis (Versus XIII version).  I would say coming from playing all Nomura Final Fantasy's and growing up with Disney this project is technically Nomuras creative idea.  If you watch the trailer for the original FF Versus XIII and battle Yozora you can see Nomura wants to turn the gameplay into more mature suited theme (i.e. catering to us 'now 25 to 45' year olds who grew up with the Final Fantasy games and Disney productions). Evidence is in FF7 remake uncensored cussing etc. More violent themes.  Not saying that KH needs to go rated M but you can see how much Disney/Pixar is more so money grab oriented whereas SquareEnix's Nomura is a genuine gaming artist/shakespeare.  Being that Sora is approaching 18 KH has the potential to be a growing up and growing pains series forthcoming that can help enlighten people as to how the real world changes.  Tangent I know but I figured it was relevant to the conversation