Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Tails

Will January 2020 Be The End of YouTube?

So I'm not sure how many of you all are aware of Coppa and what they are enforcing on YouTube on January 1st, 2020. But this could quite possibly just kill off YouTube for a lot of viewers and content creators. But mainly the content creators. If you aren't aware, Coppa is going to fine a lot of people a lot, and I mean A LOT of money on people that make content if they don't specify if their content is for kids or not. It's really stupid honestly. I really don't want this new rule to pass through on YouTube because I'm sure a lot of content creators will leave the platform forever and just move onto other social media websites like Twitch or any other video sharing website. It will really be a sad day for YouTube and a lot of its creators if this thing passes on January 1st. This is especially big and important for a lot of YouTubers that upload video game and pop culture content. But that makes me wonder, if this does happen by then and a lot of people just flat out leave YouTube forever, then where would they go to suit their video sharing needs? I mean sure people will move to Twitch to continue with that kind of stuff in the form of live streams. But what about as far as a video sharing platform goes? I'm pretty curious about that. But I really do hope that someone could just make a new video sharing website that acts like how YouTube was back in the early 2000s back when it was starting out. That would be really cool.

What do you guys think about all this? I'm quite curious to hear your opinions on the matter.

YouTube have dropped the ball before on copyright, another case where users have no power in a system set against them. Even when users comply by the copyright rules they can still get strikes that don't get properly investigated and removed. Even when users are notified of one of their videos getting a strike they can't take it down to remove the offending content.

it really makes me upset thats why i dont upload on youtube that much like i used too i just cant believe this is happening uploading kingdom hearts on youtube will now be illegal i have over 300+ videos of kingdom hearts it will be 300 million in fines thats not fare at all i dont know what to do now this law is so stupid it has to be changed

Edited by goodman2008V2

First of all, what the FTC is asking of YouTube is pretty much impossible.  There’s no way you tell the age of whoever is on the other side of the screen.  The technology to do that doesn’t exist.

Second, they’re just setting this up to screw people over.  To send someone into financial ruin over a video is going way too far, and everyone who gets fined should just sue.

I was looking in to this and it seems like they are only going after the youtubers that make the top notch money that make videos for kids I was so relieved I don’t make a dim from youtube Im good I just do youtube For fun I don’t care about money

For those wondering what you can do for a defense against the COPPA YouTube restrictions, you can take a look at this video and the links in its description. Those links can provide somethings that can help. If you could also spread this 2 as many people as possible b4 Dec 9, it would be truly gr8fully appreciated ?

The Confusing Truth About The COPPA And YouTube Problem - You

Edited by Riku21Terr

Them govs trying to get as much money as possible from Google, other huge companies, and internet services. I dont think there need to be better regulations for whats for kids and whats not.

Also trust me, kids are more evil than we all. Bullying in school, torturing animals in forests or wherever, and list goes on. Blocking channels with swears or animations with blood in it will not really fix an issue if theres any.

Also giant such as Google/YouTube wont fall for such small reason. They will contact all the lawyers they have and create services modification plan, where they will modify YouTube and other services accordingly to the new law.

And setting in options "this video is for kids" or "is not for kids" wont make youtube users annoyed to the point where they switch service. theres no worthy alternatives to youtube.

Edited by Nimen1666

21 hours ago, Nimen1666 said:

Them govs trying to get as much money as possible from Google, other huge companies, and internet services. I dont think there need to be better regulations for whats for kids and whats not.

Also trust me, kids are more evil than we all. Bullying in school, torturing animals in forests or wherever, and list goes on. Blocking channels with swears or animations with blood in it will not really fix an issue if there's any.

Also giant such as Google/YouTube wont fall for such small reason. They will contact all the lawyers they have and create services modification plan, where they will modify YouTube and other services accordingly to the new law.

And setting in options "this video is for kids" or "is not for kids" wont make youtube users annoyed to the point where they switch service. there's no worthy alternatives to youtube.

What about Bitchute and Dailymotion?  Also, most kids don't torture animals, that's usually something severely mentally disturbed kids do. 

This just goes to show how much things have changed around Youtube over the past few years. This current COPPA dilemma is only making things worse, and it'll only make Youtube end up being a barren place void of creativity, ya know? It's messed up!

Fortunately, my videos aren't monetized, though what I really would only do in my channel is talk about Kingdom Hearts and movies and make funny skits and whatnot, but that's pretty much it, and I haven't uploaded anything to my channel in about seven months! And my videos aren't vulgar, so there's that too, so I'm not too worried about myself.

I'm personally a little worried about this, as I don't monetise my videos at all but all of them concern cartoons/anime. I don't have a ton of subscribers, I barely have 50, but I have a nice small community of regular commenters and I'd hate for my videos to be flagged as "for kids" restricting that feature. The discussions in my comments are what's far more engaging than any of my videos

On 1/8/2020 at 12:14 PM, 2 quid is good said:

I'm personally a little worried about this, as I don't monetise my videos at all but all of them concern cartoons/anime. I don't have a ton of subscribers, I barely have 50, but I have a nice small community of regular commenters and I'd hate for my videos to be flagged as "for kids" restricting that feature. The discussions in my comments are what's far more engaging than any of my videos

I am like you but most of my videos were mostly cat videos of my cats Mheetu and Hanabi.   I ended up going through my old videos and deleting most of them because I didn't want to get into any trouble,  especially with the religious videos.