Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
JPansullo7

Something missing that I haven't seen discussed

Has anyone thought about the fact that we never really get to see any real impact or threat that comes from Xehanort summoning Kingdom Hearts?  I mean it all lead up to that moment, the Gaurdian's seemingly failed, Xehanort's plan unfolded exactly as he had laid it out and then.... what?  We see a bunch of balls of darkness rain from the sky?

I understand that the idea was the universe was going to be swallowed by darkness if they didn't stop him and close it, but there was zero emotional impact.

What I really think should have been included was a short scene after he opened Kingdom Hearts that goes back to all the worlds we visited during the story (maybe even previous game's worlds) showing darkness starting to consume everyone and everything in sight.  Would have really made me think "Holy shit, this is it.  The apocalypse" 

End of the World from KH1 gave me way more of that "impending doom" feeling than this game did, and that's something they should have topped in KH3.  It's honestly my biggest gripe with the story 

But that would have broken the world order, changing the formula completely moving forward. Not to mention making Donald lose his temper. It was an adequate explanation of Xehanort's intent, and sufficiently high stakes. With the emotional impact of Kairi's death, there was plenty already. Breaking the world order would have thrown the worlds into chaos even when Sora and company won. It would have made it feel like the Xehanort saga ended in a draw rather than a victory. There would be countless Disney villains now aware of the multiverse and sewing chaos throughout it. You could never really include the events of any additional Disney property moving forward because the world nearly being overcome by darkness would be a bigger issue than the plot of the film.

4 hours ago, Darkfire1408 said:

But that would have broken the world order, changing the formula completely moving forward. Not to mention making Donald lose his temper. It was an adequate explanation of Xehanort's intent, and sufficiently high stakes. With the emotional impact of Kairi's death, there was plenty already. Breaking the world order would have thrown the worlds into chaos even when Sora and company won. It would have made it feel like the Xehanort saga ended in a draw rather than a victory. There would be countless Disney villains now aware of the multiverse and sewing chaos throughout it. You could never really include the events of any additional Disney property moving forward because the world nearly being overcome by darkness would be a bigger issue than the plot of the film.

Um, to be fair, way before KH3, the World Order was already violated and the worlds were in chaos to begin with (I mean, why would we be fighting the Heartless or Unversed otherwise if there wasn't any trouble to begin with, not to mention in KH1 Maleficent ended up grouping most Disney Villains together in order to sew chaos and she's still world hopping to take control of all it and not caring who she interacts and manipulates with or what she says). It might be a bigger issue than the plot of the film for other Disney Properties, but wasn't those wanting to take control of everything using the darkness to  manipulate the events of the former to eventually cause the latter to happen the point of the impact? 

(Of course, if it all turns out to be just a simulation, wouldn't the world order be pointless anyways once everything is reset?)

Maleficent's cabal is relatively small, and apart from them, Aladdin, the princesses, and those that already knew of the existence of other worlds, the world order was kept. This event being visible on every world would have meant every Tom, Dick, and Stanley in the background would have seen the start of the apocalypse. It would take precedence for everybody over everything else going on in every world for a number of years. You wouldn't be able to go the Caribbean, Neverland, Halloween town, agrabah, anywhere really, and have people concerned about much of anything else. Although, I guess chicken little could work.

Edited by Darkfire1408

5 hours ago, Darkfire1408 said:

Maleficent's cabal is relatively small, and apart from them, Aladdin, the princesses, and those that already knew of the existence of other worlds, the world order was kept. This event being visible on every world would have meant every Tom, Dick, and Stanley in the background would have seen the start of the apocalypse. It would take precedence for everybody over everything else going on in every world for a number of years. You wouldn't be able to go the Caribbean, Neverland, Halloween town, agrabah, anywhere really, and have people concerned about much of anything else. Although, I guess chicken little could work.

I think you're overthinking it a bit. Having all worlds be attacked by darkness is no difference than every world being attacked by Heartless. People recovered from that.

On 12/17/2019 at 4:14 AM, Darkfire1408 said:

I see your point but than again It would be my wish that this exact thing would happen. My favorite levels in kingdom hearts have always been those were we dont point for point replay the movie but were they take libertys with the story and characters and for the future I hope that this is what kingdom hearts should be its own seperate fantasy universe epos

On 12/16/2019 at 10:14 PM, Darkfire1408 said:

Solid points, but I don't think it would have had that much of an impact on the world order.  The worlds have been in turmoil ever since Ansem SoD released the hearless back before KH1.  People watched their entire worlds get consumed. Heartless (some of which look like horrifying monsters like the Darksides) have been invading worlds for years.  Then a random kid with a magic key and his talking animals show up out of nowhere to save the day only to disappear almost as fast as they arrived.  I think the citizens of these worlds already know there are darker things beyond their comprehension happening in the backround.

I just would have liked see a scene like the one we got in KH1 when Destiny Islands was swallowed by darkness.  Not that extreme, but the beginning stages of it, then showed the darkness and heartless retreating once the Guardians closed Kingdom Hearts. 

Xehanort opening Kingdom Hearts should have had a much more detrimental effect than Ansem releasing heartless from just Radiant Garden, but it didn't feel all that serious.  Sure, he explained what would have happened at the end, but I just went "oh okay".

I just think it should have felt like a universal threat, whereas to me only the Guardian's ever seemed to be in any danger.

It isn't a huge deal for me, I still enjoyed the final act more than most people seemed to.  Just a thought.

Edited by JPansullo7