Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
OniLink99999

I wrote a KH3 Essay, for anyone who'd like to check it out =)

22 minutes ago, OrpheusJoshua said:

Read what you have so far and it's pretty well written and insightful. I also like how you aren't rude or incredibly negative, and are instead critiquing in a civilized manner. Looking forward to the next parts.

Thank you very much! I'm so glad to hear that's the impression you took away from it. Yes, I really get turned off by any argument that's rude or over-the-top negative. Ideally I want anything I write to be constructive and purposeful, even if it is a critique (something I haven't really written before). I'm sure it helps that I do like KH3 and see so much potential in its ideas; I just consequently see a lot of confusing choices and missed opportunities, especially when viewed through the lens I apply to my own work as a game designer.

Thanks again! =D

In numerous cutscenes the player is informed that Sora is a goofball, and a bit of a screw-up compared to everyone else; hence why he is sent to visit Hercules in the first place. But as stated, the story never moves forward without him present – or without him doing all the work. If there’s an enemy to face, it cannot be defeated without Sora. If there’s a job to do, it’s up to Sora to do it. With a couple of key exceptions, every character apart from Sora, Donald, and Goofy is presented as almost comically useless – yet our protagonist remains the butt of every joke. While the player should be in control as much as possible – and should indeed be the one to overcome challenges – the story needs to support this, not actively work against the player’s growth and sense of success.

This! THIS! good aritcle very informative and very well constructed I'm looking forward to the next one and your thoughts on Xehanort's so called ''redemption'' or whatever they tried in the end to make it seem like it's oke to send him to heaven.

Edited by AwesomeKHfan

3 minutes ago, AwesomeKHfan said:

This! THIS! good aritcle very informative and very well constructed I'm looking forward to the next one and your thoughts on Xehanort's so called ''redemption'' or whatever they tried in the end to make it seem like it's oke to send him to heaven.

Thank you very much AwesomeKHfan! I love you pulling out that particular paragraph and I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way =D Oh, don't worry - Master Xehanort is probably one of the biggest topics I cover (he's in Part 4 which should be released shortly). There's a lot to unpack there, despite him getting so few cutscenes haha. Hope you enjoy and thanks again!

So I've now read all of it and I have to say you've put my feelings into words way better than I ever could, I absolutely agree about the way some characters are dismissed because fans categoride them into their own little boxes and don't try to see the big picture

1 hour ago, 2 quid is good said:

So I've now read all of it and I have to say you've put my feelings into words way better than I ever could, I absolutely agree about the way some characters are dismissed because fans categoride them into their own little boxes and don't try to see the big picture

Wow, thank you so much - that's honestly some of the highest praise I think I could ever receive (putting another person's feelings into words)! Yeah, I think that's really limited the structure of the series and the way we view these games. I'm sure there's probably a corporate viewpoint that sees everything like that (Disney characters, FF characters, etc.), in addition to the fan view, but from a story perspective it doesn't really make sense. I think needing to see "the big picture" is the perfect way to put it, 2 quid! Thanks again =D

I'm currently reading part 3 (half way through) and I'm enjoying it thus far and you make solid points with edvidence to back it up and funny enough most of my criticism aligns with yours so ? but I have to go somewhere so expect my answer either today very late or tomorrow

Thank you very much for taking so much time and effort to write this essay.

As someone who is not a fan of KH3's story despite really liking the game, your essay managed to either put my scattered thoughts together into a very well-formulated manner, or led me to consider many aspects that I had paid no thought before; one example being the "I don't sympathize with Sora at all" line from Nomura, and how it can help us understand why Sora's struggles don't feel very relatable on a more personal level to many.

I also really appreciate your defense of the Final Fantasy presence in the series, seeing as how that's a strong point of contention in the fanbase. It's refreshing to see someone take that side of the discussion in such a well argued way that effectively explains how their roles and personalities went a long way strenghten the story and its themes.

Overall I loved your essay, it was admirably well constructed and most important of all it was also very polite and respectful of all points of view. Once again, thank you very much for it.

13 hours ago, AwesomeKHfan said:

I'm currently reading part 3 (half way through) and I'm enjoying it thus far and you make solid points with edvidence to back it up and funny enough most of my criticism aligns with yours so ? but I have to go somewhere so expect my answer either today very late or tomorrow

That's fantastic - thank you! Haha, it's always satisfying when you find someone who lines up with your own feelings, isn't it? That's absolutely fine - I'm just grateful you're reading it, so definitely no rush! =D

9 hours ago, Estoria#4001 said:

Thank you very much for taking so much time and effort to write this essay.

As someone who is not a fan of KH3's story despite really liking the game, your essay managed to either put my scattered thoughts together into a very well-formulated manner, or led me to consider many aspects that I had paid no thought before; one example being the "I don't sympathize with Sora at all" line from Nomura, and how it can help us understand why Sora's struggles don't feel very relatable on a more personal level to many.

I also really appreciate your defense of the Final Fantasy presence in the series, seeing as how that's a strong point of contention in the fanbase. It's refreshing to see someone take that side of the discussion in such a well argued way that effectively explains how their roles and personalities went a long way strenghten the story and its themes.

Overall I loved your essay, it was admirably well constructed and most important of all it was also very polite and respectful of all points of view. Once again, thank you very much for it.

My absolute pleasure Estoria - thank YOU so much for the wonderful comment! Honestly, the points you make are such a relief to hear, because that was one of my goals - being polite, respectful, and as holistic as I could in covering these topics. Yeah, I'd read that quote from Nomura when it first came out and just found it amusing, but when writing the essay it suddenly occurred to me again. I know when I'm writing a game, I generally can relate to both my heroes and villains. So re-reading that quote suddenly made KH3 make a lot of sense (for exactly the reason you pointed out).

Thanks! I've always found the anti-Final Fantasy argument bizarre on those grounds (being such integral characters in the larger story and world), so I wanted to get in something about them haha. I also come from a time in the fanbase where, when a new KH was announced, the discussion was 'Which FF characters are going to be included this time?', and I kind've miss that.

Thank you very much Estoria - I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write such an in-depth and wonderful comment. It's seeing these kinds of responses that make the past 9 months of writing all worthwhile! =D

9 minutes ago, SophieHicks said:

I like your essay, interesting to read for sure)

Thanks Sophie - I really appreciate you taking the time to comment (and the kind words)! =D

Edited by OniLink99999

7 hours ago, CallumGoodwin said:

Your essay is great, by the way, I wanna say that my love to anime has started from Kingdom Hearts)) Also need to ask Sophie: what service are you talking about? I need dissertation help as soon as possible! I found and choose the one with good reviews, but I have never used services like this. And my paper is important to me, so I want to be sure. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the kind words Callum! If you want Sophie to respond, the best thing to do is probably directly message her - I don't imagine she'll see your post otherwise :)

Edited by OniLink99999

44 minutes ago, Carol11 said:

For some reason, nothing opens for me, are the links still working? Where can I see essays? I have always had difficulties with writing essays, it would be interesting to read.

Hi Carol, thanks so much for your interest! The links are still working for me, but you might be having trouble because Gamasutra is now a new website called Game Developer. Here's a more direct link, in case that helps: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/kingdom-hearts-iii-a-conclusion-without-a-story---part-1

I used to be atrocious at writing essays, so I can definitely relate. But in my experience, it's really as simple as practice makes perfect 😃 It's all just about forming an argument, and conveying your points in as concise, clear, and (hopefully) engaging a way as possible. Hope the link works and that you enjoy it!

23 hours ago, OraFlores said:

@OniLink99999 Hello. I just finished reading your essay, and I'm about to give a little feedback.
I'll start by saying that I was searching the internet for a very different "essay" related topic, but I came across your post and... Dude, you stole two hours of my life from me) Absolutely breathtaking story. It is clear that you are a real fan of the game. And I could not even think how many plot branches the developers left without a worthy end. Thanks for your work.

Wow!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share that with me OraFlores - I couldn't ask for a better response than that! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it, and it's really nice to hear that my passion for the series came through. More than anything, though, thank YOU for taking the time to read my essay! I know it's a massive commitment of time, so I'm really grateful 😊