Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Allwil13

My Thoughts on Kingdom Hearts III Re Mind (Spoilers)

Well, I finally got around to playing ReMind, and since I posted a review when I finished Kingdom Hearts III last year (found here if you're interested), I figured I should do one up for the Re Mind DLC. As it's harder for me to separate the non-spoilers and the spoilers, I am issuing a spoiler warning here for anyone who hasn't finished yet.

So, what did I think of Re Mind? ..... Weeeeeell to be honest this was a bit of a mixed bag for me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad by any means, just kind of... underwhelming. Also, before I dive in here, I’d like to paste my usual disclaimer that this is just my opinion and not intended to be forceful or aggressive. So without further ado, let's get started. 

Spoiler

First off, the story additions. As a whole, they were great. I liked how they explained some things that were just kind of glanced over in the original game. I also enjoyed the choice of characters other than Sora in the battles with the thirteen darknesses. Of course it would have been nice to be able to use all the guardians of light rather than just a few, but hey, I’ll take it. Plus you technically get to play as all of them near the end. As a whole this portion of the DLC feels a lot like a director’s cut of the game’s ending. On the negative side, I wasn't too happy with how they presented the Re Mind portion itself. I found it frustrating that I was forced to rewatch cutscenes that I'd already seen and redo boss fights that I'd already done. If I were the Kingdom Hearts team, I would have added a choice during a New Game + just before the final climax wherein the player can choose whether they want to play the game’s original ending or the Re Mind version. That way the player doesn’t have to beat the game and then immediately repeat the ending that they just saw with some extra stuff.

As for the addition of the Oathkeeper and Oblivion, I was a little disappointed that they weren’t obtained during story events. I also REALLY didn’t like that in order to get the Oblivion, you have to beat the game on Critical mode. I am not a person that enjoys this type of difficulty. I’m okay with a challenge, but after trying Critical mode for 20 minutes after it first launched, I could not have been less interested. So needless to say, having the KH team hide the Oblivion behind this difficulty mode was infuriating for me. Luckily this anger did not last once I looked into the EZ and PRO menus. Thanks to the EZ menu, I am tearing through Critical Mode without nearly as much difficulty as I thought. Thank god.

The new photo mode is AWESOME! Let me tell you, I have never been big on photo modes in games. They’re a cool feature and all, but they’ve just never really grabbed me. But man, Kingdom Hearts III now has one of the best photo modes I’ve ever seen! Being able to pose the characters, change their facial expressions, and add stuff like dream eaters and junk is amazing. It’s very obvious that a lot of care and attention went into making this mode, and I love it!

And now we come to the Limit Cut episode. This one really irked me. Similarly to the requirements for the Oblivion keyblade, I did not like that the player has to beat all those insanely hard bosses in order to unlock the secret ending. I loaded up my Standard Mode file for the Limit Cut and still couldn’t get past even one of those bosses. Eventually I gave up and just watched the secret ending on Youtube. Now, I haven’t beaten my Critical Mode file with the EZ adjustments yet, so maybe these will carry over to the Limit Cut when I load it up (though even if these do carry over it will still be on Critical Mode sooooooo…. yeah). Still though, this bugged me. 

On the whole, the DLC was good, but not great. Was it worth the money? Yeah. Will I replay the DLC? Absolutely. Are there issues? Oh yeah. But all in all, I enjoyed the experience. 

Thanks for reading, and may your heart be your guiding key.