Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
David Buchwald

KHUX Unchained Realm vs Sleeping Realm vs Data World

Hi all,

Just did a bunch of googling on this and can't find a straight answer.  My question has to do with the "world" or "realm" that the player is currently in during the events of KHUx.  I know at one point, it was widely considered that the "unchained realm" and the "sleeping realm" were one and the same.  I think Master Ava may have been the only one to mention "unchained realm" and at that time people assumed it was the same as the "sleeping realm" because the assumption was the player was sleeping and essentially living through the events of his life again during this sleep.

Given what we know now from the story updates, to me it makes more sense this is all happening in a data world (like the datascape in the journal in Coded, or a better example would be the twilight town created for Roxas). Especially now in the story the characters keep referring to it as data world, including daybreak town and all the Disney worlds.  Especially the fact that Daybreak Town is also called out as being data as well, this I think is our biggest clue that this entire world and all the other disney worlds within it are all just data, not sleeping worlds.  My assumption is the Dandelions had their memories wiped, and were transported to this data copy of the real Daybreak Town.  The real one is probably just a wasteland at this point, after being destroyed from the Keyblade war.  When Master Ava mentioned "unchained realm" I'm not sure if she was referring to this data world, or perhaps there was another sort of "waiting area" the Dandelions were in while the actual war was taking place.  This I'm not sure of.  Maybe someone can answer? 

Anyway, maybe I'm looking at old forums and discussions on the topic, but the truth is I haven't found anything recent discussing this.  But for the discussions I was able to find, absolutely it was assumed this all took place in the sleeping realm and the player was "asleep." To me it makes more sense that the player isn't sleeping at all but just living in this data world.  And the player sometimes sleeps within this data world, and that's when the dreams of what really happened come back, and the visions of the keyblade war, etc. The Chirithys are there to help control these dreams so the player doesn't remember.

Am I on the right track?  Does anyone have a better explanation of all this?  Thanks in advance for any help in clearing this up. 

Also, if I could please ask that in any responses please avoid any spoilers for the current story past what's currently available to us in global version.  I go out of my way to avoid spoilers from the Japanese version because I actually enjoy being surprised with the story. I am all caught up though in the global version as of the update that I think came out on April 30th.

Thanks all!

Yeah, it's basically been confirmed that the current setting of the story is a data world. "Unchained realm" was probably what it was referred to before they (Square Enix and Nomura) decided it would be a data world. In X (the browser game), the fake worlds* were created from the Book of Prophecies so that the kids could run around and do things in relative safety. When X ended with the Keyblade War, the Dandelions and the player character went to the data version, complete with data recreations of the worlds (since no one was left who could make them using the Book of Prophecies). While we don't know for sure about the other Dandelions, it's confirmed that the player character's memories of the events of X are being suppressed in order to spare them from the harsh reality of what actually happened. Right now, the goal is to get back to the real world, though who knows what that looks like after the war.

*In terms of the worlds being fake, it's like this. The Book of Prophecies tells of things that have yet to happen at the time of KHUX. Using that, they're (the Foretellers/Master of Masters) able to create illusions of worlds that haven't come to pass yet (and the medals used in game, technically). At this point in time, the world hadn't split apart into the smaller Disney Worlds that we first came to know through KH1. In other words, they're all still a part of the KHUX world. But the problem is that they're ancient: nothing's going on there.
It's like if you traveled back to the year 1100 and went to where Texas is now. Sure, the land is still there, and some people are there, but nothing is like it would be 900 years in the future. So you make this magical doorway that lets you experience a simulation of the Texas of today when you walk through it. It's not the real present-day Texas, and you won't be able to make any changes to the timeline while you're in it, but it'll be like you're there.

Thanks for responding, hawk222!

You have confirmed my suspicions, and yes it seems clear at this point they are in a data world, complete with data recreations of the Disney Worlds previously created by the Book of Prophecies before the Keyblade War.  I think at one point, when "Unchained Realm" first became a thing, this was not made as clear, which is why older threads on the subject theorize that Player and Dandelions have been transported to Sleeping Ream, which we now know is incorrect.

I think a lot of us are assuming the Real World is torn apart after the war, and that Scala Ad Caelum will be built in the area where Daybreak Town once stood, but only time will tell what Nomura is planning.  We know from the other games in the series that the Keyblade Graveyard remains mostly untouched even in the present day, complete with all those keyblades still sticking in the ground.  But from what I understand, the Keyblade Graveyard is the area where the War actually happened and people fought, which is in a separate area from Daybreak Town itself.

Thanks again for you response and putting my mind at ease with what I thought was correct!

50 minutes ago, David Buchwald said:

I think a lot of us are assuming the Real World is torn apart after the war, and that Scala Ad Caelum will be built in the area where Daybreak Town once stood, but only time will tell what Nomura is planning.  We know from the other games in the series that the Keyblade Graveyard remains mostly untouched even in the present day, complete with all those keyblades still sticking in the ground.  But from what I understand, the Keyblade Graveyard is the area where the War actually happened and people fought, which is in a separate area from Daybreak Town itself.

Thanks again for you response and putting my mind at ease with what I thought was correct!

Q: Underwater in Scala ad Caelum, we can see part of what looks like the tower in Daybreak Town. Was Scala originally Daybreak Town?

Nomura: Yes. The staff member who made the model sheet presented me with two options: put the tower standing upright on the bottom of the sea, or put it upside down. In the end I went with the second one.

Taken from the KH3 Ultimania interview. So we basically get the confirmation that Scala Ad Caelum was built upon Daybreak Town's ruins. How that ended up unfolding is anybody's guess. But I think you'd be correct to assume the Keyblade Graveyard is separate from Daybreak Town based on this. :) 

i basically asked this in the kh reddit last night and was told a whole bunch of things, but i started to have questions at that point... not surprising hehe

1. who created the data?

2. who put in the data in the unchained/sleeping realm?

3. how did they create said data if (i'm assuming after this part) they had no computer?

4. why call it (originally) the unchained realm? does this mean that it's not constrained by something or someone, perhaps?