Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Spoiler

Who does everyone think the graves belong to? I'd reckon they might be the upper classmen, but they also might be the four new characters. I could imagine the game jumping back to four years prior, and then them eventually getting killed (Probably by Xehanort.)

Spoiler

I think its pretty obvious it belongs to the new characters since we don't know how many upper classmen were there, but considering they were part of the same "school" there should be the same amount of people in every class so if Xehanort's class had 7 people (counting Baldur) then there should be 7 upper classmen, we never learn their names so again doesn't seem to be a reason for Xehanort to be attached to them unlike his own classmen

And I don't think Xehanort killed them, at the very least not directly, had he killed them he should be feeling guilty and visiting their graves out in the open, and Eraqus would not be trying to comfort him saying it wasn't his fault, at this point Xehanort isn't shown to be interested in darkness just in learning about the words

TL;DR the graves belong to the 4 new characters, Xehanort didn't kill them

woah woah woah, something just ocurred to me:

Spoiler

We know something happens that Xehanort seems to blame himself about due to Eraqus trying to reassure him that "it" wasn't his fault

For the sake of the argument let's assume that "it" was the death of their 4 classmates, Xehanort feeling guilty seems that he was somehow involved even if indirectly, and we also know that this was before their mark of mastery exam so, 4 keyblade wielders not yet at a master level who fell most likely at the same time (since it is alluded to be a single event from Eraqus' and Xehanort's conversation) what if their classmates were not only defeated by darkness but also corrupted by it?

Xehanort has already met Ansem SoD and most likely had the desire of expanding his knowledge implanted in his heart, what if this included his interest in channeling and controlling darkness? what if this darkness spread and eventually found its way into his 4 friends eventually destroying them?

I am reminded of Xehanort's speech after you defeat him in KH3, (consistent in both japanese and english) about how the weak will just end up spreading darkness if they don't have someone strong leading them

What if Xehanort's guilt was about not being that strong leader for his friends who could've avoided their fate from darkness? and this is one of the events that pushes him to master control of darkness

we'll have to wait and see

Spoiler

I think they died looking for the upperclassmen, which Xehanort pushed them to do before informing their teacher about the heartless growing in strength. So he legitimately can view it as his fault, pushing them to continue even though it's dangerous, when they should have informed their teacher and seeked advice. A strong leader would have known it was too dangerous, and urged them to get help.